Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, where did you get that image for the Deadly Dojima Duo? That is...absolutely hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Much as I enjoy this game I admit I'm kinda holding down the "Skip" button to get to the good stuff, because it is one long-rear end intro.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, I like how Igor now just lets you see what Personas you can fuse with what you currently have equipped. Really digging all the changes to the Velvet Room here. :dance:

This, and the ability to control what skills get inherited, were both first in Devil Survivor. So I guess Atlus just realized that those were two really cool things about Devil Survivor, that it left less to chance about what you got out of fusion, and added it into Persona 4 Golden.

So I just spent the first open day going through the first real dungeon. Between the new music, the new voice dialogue (there's more than just one "Get ready for an all-out attack!" quote per person now!) and everything else, this may be the peppiest RPG I have ever played. I didn't think it was possible to be peppier than it already was, but it is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh my goodness, the "fsteak" thing from Hiimdaisy is now canon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gah, I keep forgetting it's different from P3P, you can Social Link with someone OR go to the dungeon, not both.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

e; Is there a way to change the attack order of your party?

There is not. They move in order of quickness but it's usually your protagonist who goes first.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I keep forgetting that you can't go to the store OR go to the TV World if you socialize or do anything else in P4. drat, Persona 3 Portable spoiled me!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

God drat I love this new Shuffle Time. I mean seriously it's great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How do you find the fishing rod parts, again? The lady at the shrine needs a red goldfish...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sarkozymandias posted:

There was an episode of the anime that's basically what the protagonist's random social link grinding activities look like from everyone else's perspective and it's about as ridiculous as you'd think it would be.

I've only seen a clip of this on youtube and it was the funniest thing I'd seen all week, no joke.

So apparently going to the TV World on rainy days increases certain benefits, right? One thing I noticed it that it seems that it makes all fusions have some extra benefit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So even if I can't finish the Aiya Super Beef Bowl Challenge it's worth it to try, right?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So on top of being able to SocialLink your character's new abilities, you have to choose which abilites to keep or lose. That's a new think. I hope I don't accidentally gimp my NPCs...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, physical attackers are nothing to sneeze at during a good boss fight, the only downside is that they burn up their own HP to do it, so you need to be careful.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Upgrading Yosuke and Chie's Social Links has allowed them to cure Panic randomly during their turns...by slapping me in the face and saying "Snap out of it, man!"

Funny as hell, AND useful!

edit: You apparently have to burn up a lot of afternoons practicing on your scooter before you unlock all possible destinations with it... Hmm...hope it's worth it...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 25, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

New Chie's earned her keep, with me, early on, because her Persona-summoning quote of "Come ON!" is much more rad than the previous actor's "Come on..." (Sorry, Tracey Rooney, I just like Erin Fitzgerald.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hm, prioritizing social links...

I'm very tempted to just try to max out Chie as soon as possible. Her power to kick rear end is hella handy for all sorts of things...

So many books to read, too...never going to finish them all...

Serious question, is there a book to read that makes bookreading faster? There seems to be a book for everything else, so I was thinking maybe there was a speed-reading book...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm okay with a game being overall pretty darn happy in tone. Some days I just want to feel awesome about myself, and isn't that what being a teenage detective is all about?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I keep playing P4, and I keep liking it more. Possibly more than 3. Not because of the mechanics though, as I don't see the ones in 3 being a deal breaker, but the characters themselves are really growing on me.

Now...how do I level expression?

One easy way is to take the Translate English night job, you can do it from your room's table at night and you get paid for it. A book may amplify the expression boost. I think going to culture club also improves Expression the same way going to Sports improves dilligence.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shadow Yukiko actually has a weakness to ice now! They nerfed her!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I haven't actually seen the Reaper yet, but, uh....I do sometimes hear rattling chains if I explore a floor too long. It's unnerving.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what, it's like that DS Kingdom Hearts game that let you manually tweak everything?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's okay, Yu strikes me as more of a "just friends" type of guy with most of the girls.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I'm so totally not going to be able to max out social links on a first go, I'm not even gonna try. But I did just max out Yosuke, and we are bros now, and it's July, so I'm in good form!

Haven't even unlocked the first rank for Kanji yet...yeesh...

I do have both Nanako and the elder Dojima up to Rank 7. I will be the glue that holds this family together!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Darn it Adachi let me spend time with you so I can level up your Social Link! :argh:

He's clearly just loving around doing nothing anyway, why can't we hang out with him!?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just blow the poo poo out of the golden hands with as many physicals as I can muster, with Chie casting Revolution so everyone's critical hit rate goes up. Sometimes I get lucky and she does a Galactic Punt on one!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In Marie's third-level S.Link they bring up the fact that Chie always wears green. And then she goes clothes shopping and inadvertently keeps picking out green outfits. Ahahaha.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So is there a hidden value that improves your relationships scores in Persona 4? In Persona 3, maxing out your Charm gave you hidden boosts to your points with people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Staring at the ocean gets your equipped persona a hidden extra skill, and fishing is...fishing. What does swimming get you?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OH, man, can you imagine the kind of stuff Dojima's shadow would say or do?

I'm picturing it looking like a wild and carefree surfer dude.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hanging out with friends on Sundays and summerdays is the same as hanging out with them on schooldays, right? It advances the social link?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Capsaicin: That was his name in the manga adaptation.

Y'know, I keep thinking of another completely different school simulator game that forces you to manage time: Bully.

Now I want to combine the two.

See that little punk Jimmy smash a card and create a huge bizarre spirit, probably of Paul Bunyan as a cyborg, smash his enemies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I had to really fudge it to get a skill card with auto-sukukaja to put on Black Frost for Margarete's request. I got no idea how to do the next one for her, something with Megidola. Yeesh.

Also: hahahahaha, they changed the boss theme music for Shadow Misuo. That's great. I hope that tune shows up in the Hee Hee Ho Jacktunes channel...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Both Teddie voices sound identical. There's only one time they sound different: The audio mix is a bit different for Shadow Teddie. That's it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, Sun is supposed to represent optimism and positive emotions, right? Just about any social link themed around that is going to be sappy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't even know what the hell, man. I've been trying and trying and TRYING to find that god-damned trigger that begins Kanji's Social Link. Nothing.

I'm beginning to think I've passed the point of no return at some point (we're on Naoto's dungeon).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sharing the Mega Beef Bowl with the gang as a bonding exercise seems pretty nifty, actually.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Naoto is now second only to the main character in pure versatility.

Is there some sort of missable trigger you can get to start Kanji's Emperor S-Link? I swear I was up, down and all around the school for months. I have since completely given up on ever actually using him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy cow, I had no idea so many good skills were hidden and could only be unlocked by going on bike trips. I thought that was just an excuse to get more S-link points. Good thing I read this thread, I thought those were a waste of time. ...now I need to get Naoto a spell for every last element so she's unstoppable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Awwright, finally, Mr. Perfect achieved! Now I can spend all my time enthralling the populace! ...probably finish the Mega Beef Bowl, too, come to think of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how Jester is basically just the more negative aspect of the Fool, our hero and his team's Arcana. We are blindly stumbling forward trying to find the truth... but he's more than content to simply drift through life.

• Locked thread