Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Wow, Marie is The Worst Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I dunno, choosing fusion skills seems to make it incredibly easy to make the ultimate death persona that can do everything. I always kinda assumed you weren't supposed to :spergin: and shuffle for 20 minutes to get exactly what you want but just deal with the best you can get.

This is related to something that bugs me in general about this remake. Persona 4 was never a incredibly hard videogame or anything, but with all of these things to make the gameplay way easier it seems like over half the game is now just an elaborate x pressing simulator with no thought or challenge that just wastes your time, which is pretty awful in a 70+ hour game (especially one that has themes that talk about how you should totally go outside and make friends)

If they're going to go this direction with the combat stuff and make it totally trivial they may as well just make persona 5 a daiting sim and stop loving around

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

quote:

tl;dr: I'm glad they're finally cutting out the middleman in regards to fusion.

I'm not sure were on the same page, here. I'm saying I'm not sure you were ever actually supposed to sit there forever until you get everything you want. I always kinda assumed that the whole idea was you'd have guys with only 1-2 good moves so you actually, ya know, had a reason to switch personas or rely on your teamates for anything besides heals and grunt support?

I mean, I'm sure you can also grind to level 99 in the first dungeon if you really wanted, but the game obviously doesn't actually want you doing that.

quote:

If you think it's too easy, play on one of the harder difficulties.
All this does is make the enemies have more health and do more damage. It doesn't actually make things interesting or challenging. It just makes my complaint of "about 30 hours of this game is a now complete waste of time" worse because now it's about 40 hours.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

quote:

Also, if you think we weren't supposed to stand at the screen constantly refreshing the fusion, then you've never done Margret's requests.

I'll admit I've never done all of these, but the early ones seemed to be "oh, this guy has starts with move X and fuses with y to make persona Z I need, neat" stuff. I guess that's a bit of a moot point, though.

quote:

Winning a fight from a weaker position is more difficult.
True, but the way this game handles it is pretty poor. In this game a "weaker position" just means "you have to use the better healing spell to keep everyone at the threshold where they wont die instead of getting away with a weaker one that puts them at 50% hp instead of 75% but that's okay because your healer has enough juice to run through the entire dungeon" and having to hit them longer (and maybe cast a buff of defend a move)

It's just a mindless dps race (that only applies to boss fights anyway because all normal fights are knocked down in a single turn and killed or are incredibly weak to ailments/kill spells). When you add in stuff like rise being able to bail you out, the incredibly awesome moves everyone can now learn and getting other players to help you it just makes the fighting an inevitability that you'll win eventually. Now sure you can make the point of how you'll probably use more resources because it took longer, but that really only applies for the first little bit of the game when fox either doesn't exist or gouges the gently caress out of you (and even then I found things really manageable). Now don't get me wrong, I don't want this game to be the dark souls of jrpgs or anything, but I'd prefer if half the game wasn't sitting there hitting x with no real consequence/thought over and over, you know? It just kinda feels like I'm wasting time until the next cutscene, which kinda goes against the balance the original game had between the story and the gameplay.

Nocturne (an rpg made by the same company almost a decade ago) is a good example of what I'm talking about. It has gameplay that really does have you fighting from a weaker position and really forces you to use strategy and planning. It has a real tension, pacing and just a general "oh poo poo not another fight I'm right outside the save point" element to it that I feel this game could really benefit from. I'd be nice if the enemies were more then just exp/money pinatas I hit with sticks for a couple minutes before they burst, you know?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 23, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Maybe I'm just getting a lot of lucky dice rolls, I'm more just kinda rambling and talking about my experience with it so far and less I WISH MORE OF MY BONES WERE BROKEN :rant:

quote:

Then play it on harder difficulties
I am, as I mentioned in my giant wall of text all it's really been changing is making the fights take longer.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 23, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Cannot Find Server posted:

And is the new character not terrible? Her artwork doesn't really fit this game (it'd look more at home in Catherine or something) and it kinda makes me really weary of her.

She's decent (if kind of pointless) but then lots of spoilers happen and she takes a huge nosedive into being terrible, sorry.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

They treat the crazy alternate dimension inside televisions full of monsters pretty casually too, between victims they'll sometimes straight up ask you if you wanna grind.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

So the only real reasons Marie is in this game are so she can handle velvet room stuff since the JP voice for Igor died and because you never got to bang Izanami and we simply can't have a single woman under 60 that doesn't want your dick in this game? That seems like the only reason for making her yet another aspect of her. I mean, she doesn't actually do anything with this status and she doesn't at all act like some crazy godlike aspect or anything. Hell aside from a new pair of clothes and a cute thing about how the girl with control over weather is working as a weather girl does this reveal change anything about her?

I dunno, seems kinda lame.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

OmegaZultan posted:

All that matters is doing her stuff leads to a sweet epilogue.

I guess, It just kinda bugs me that what's essentialy someones persona 4 fanfiction self-insert is in the game.

Honestly the epilogue was kinda lame, too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

Playing this game now reminds me just why I like Dojima's character so much. In a plot where only a fairly select scope of characters actually know what is going on, I like that while he is perpetually out of the loop, him being a detective actually becomes relevant to the state of the plot.

I like how Dojima almost instantly figures out that you're up to SOMETHING, the only thing stoping him from grilling you about it being Nanako. It's really easy for a silly anime game like this to make everyone over 30 incompetent.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Nessa posted:

I think all the better social links and stuff added for girl mode WAY overpower any superficial loss of cutscenes and models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnGiB1fT_4

All of the anime cutscenes that play over the first hour or so set the bar REALLY high, it was half the reason I put up with how repetitive that game gets. Meanwhile, even if you judge them on their own merits, the replacements for these scenes in the psp game are really lame.

• Locked thread