Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

New players should know that Rainy Days change your schedule a lot. Lots of S.Links aren't available if it's raining, different rare enemies pop up in dungeons that can unlock totally optional equipment, the Aiya diner sells a Rainy Day bowl that boosts ALL of your stats.

In vanilla P4, I'm pretty sure it didn't boost Expression. Did they change this in P4G?

Also, in terms of S-links, everyone mentions the Fox, but Sun is also available even if it's raining. I tended to save those for rainy days when I didn't have a fox quest done/was bored of the fox.

In semi-related news, going through the final level of Tartarus in P3 while blaring Rock Anthem For Saving The World is pretty much the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
The bad ending should be just cutscenes and credits. There's no more gameplay.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Finally managed to download this game, been playing it for the last...4 hours.

P4 was the reason I bought a PS2, and P4G is the reason I bought a Vita. Completely worth it so far, it's fantastic to be playing it again. The game is so goddamned pretty, I'm loving it.

Chie's new voice actor is a bit too enthusiastic at times for me, though that might just be a bias. She's really miles ahead of everyone else on the energy scale, though.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, man, even on Hard mode this game is way easier. I just basically trivialized the first boss. Fused a Titan with Resist Phys and Fire, Red Wall, and Media, then gave it Bufu off a skill card. And to top it off, Dekunda got skill changed into Kill Rush for tons more damage.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, I think I'm right at the level I was at when I was playing through P4 on normal.

And then, of course, I get smashed by a couple of those twin dudes in Kanji's dungeon. Nothing I really could have done, they alpha-striked me into oblivion.

Ah well, 3 AM, that's enough for tonight.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
You know, when I'm in a dungeon and get to the stairs, seeing my companions say "stairs here" immediately makes me think of Left 4 Dead- "Pills here!"

Also, were those little bits voiced in Japanese? The music always lowers when it happens.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Jesus, Magician cards just break this game wide open. I've pulled 3 of them on High Pixie and gotten upgraded to Null Physical, Invigorate 3, and upped Skull Cracker to Mind Slice. Rise's dungeon has been absolutely trivial so far.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 29, 2012

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh my God, the beach trip is the absolute best. If Kanji wasn't already my favorite character, he drat well would be now.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Ahaha, oh god, Yukiko's "WHAT?!" during her festival event is so completely perfect.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Oh lord, I am absolutely never going to get tired of casting Burning Petals. Yukiko is a fiery goddess of destruction.

They really messed with the EXP curve with the golden hands here. I think it took me about 5 rounds to defeat the December boss between power charged Hassou Tobi and Kanji's Power Charged Primal Force. Hard mode really isn't, I haven't had an enemy challenge me in months.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So I finally figured out the trick to the fishing game- it's that when the indicator is in the blue, rapidly moving the left stick back and forth will pretty much always keep it in the middle as long as possible. Managed to snag the Sea Guardian!

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm on a new game plus and I forget how/when you get the bug net? I've got an itch to go fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm at the Heaven dungeon (The dungeon you do in November), and I still really don't understand this combat, or the combat in SMT games in general.

I mean, I can handle normal battles against trash mobs. But boss battles just don't make sense. None of them have any weaknesses, so it just turns into spamming normal attacks and healing every turn.

The boss of the dungeon I'm in just suddenly starts killing me though at about half health, and I don't know why. He does the same attacks he had been doing, but for whatever reason it kills my team members rather than not, as they had before.
I dunno, the bosses are just not fun for me. Is there a way to change the difficulty from Normal to Easy or something without starting over?

e: I don't really get the status effect moves. Like I can use a move to lower the boss's attack or defense, but this one in particular can nullify those. Which I guess might be useful for the sake of having him waste a turn. But even then, the status effects seem kind of insignificant. Like instead of doing 80 damage in an attack, I do 100, but I lose a turn.

Which is another problem I have with this combat. I'm like level 58, but I still do about as much damage as I did at level 1. I don't get it.
The social sim stuff is fun, but the dungeons are so ugh.

1. Have you been fusing properly? You should have some pretty beefed-up personas by that point. I think Tam Lin was one of my go-tos for Heaven- he had fantastic resistances and decent skills, and he was high level because I had a good Sun rank.

2. When I have three other teammates doing stuff, I'll trade 1/4 of my turn for the boss's entire turn any day. Buying that turn can also mean Yukiko throws out another Agidyne instead of healing, dealing even more damage.

3. As others have said, buffs are really good in this game. A team buff combined with the opposite stat Debuff on the boss will result in crazy-low numbers for his attacks, and much higher ones for yours.

I think what's getting you is the "changing the atmosphere" bit. An easy way to take advantage of that to terrible effect is to pop an item or spell that reflects one magic attack per teammate across your whole party immediately after. He takes more damage from that element, same as you, so all the reflected damage will take a huge chunk out of his health when he pops Maragidyne or whatever.

• Locked thread