Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I poked around the available loans for a while and it looks like most of them are people trying to consolidate debt. So if the interest rate on the loan they get is better than the interest rate on the debt they already have they come out ahead.

There are a few home improvement ones too and those tend to be (again, from about 15 minutes of poking around) the really low interest/low risk loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Most of the people that are getting the ~27% loans look like they'd be better served with bankruptcy. I put $250 on the site and I'm going to put some away on there every month, but I'm sticking to C rated and above loans.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, I haven't bought anything yet and from looking through I might reevaluate the "c and up" thing. You can see how much their payment will be, their income, their employer, etc. I'm seeing some rated C or B that look kind of not good and some rated below that look relatively safe. I'll poke around that site a bit.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It's just compound interest basically, right? If a bank took the interest that you savings account generated and put it in a non-interest generating account and you never moved it to the savings account then you would have a lower rate of return. Due to how a savings account is structured they don't do that, but the math (assuming no delinquent notes) works out the same, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Right, but when you get those payments and then reinvest them that's where it becomes compound interest, in my head anyway. Am I approaching this wrong?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yes, and the search tools make it pretty quick and easy to filter and search for the type loan you want to give.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I just had my first missed payment, on an A5. He made the first 4 payments and has only missed one so hopefully it works out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Provided you have the means to make the payments on your 20k loan if all of your notes go tits-up I wouldn't think they'd have a problem; they're getting you coming and going.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Oh yeah, it's a terrible idea. I just don't think the company would bar it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Loans are graded A-F (I think the bottom is F) and also have a number to further refine the grading. So an A-1 is the safest, an A-2 is very safe but less than an A-1, etc. A B-1 is a high grade for a loan, which means they project you are very likely to pay it back, which is why your interest rate (alternatively your investors potential profits) is low relative to lower graded notes.

• Locked thread