Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Is this thread also an acceptable place do discuss designing miniature games, or is is specifically for board games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

signalnoise posted:

OK so here's my idea in parts

1- Minis on a grid. Squad based minis game. I want it to be grid based because I want clear rules for things like cover and movement, no guessing. I want no room for error. Each mini has a stat card with whatever special abilities it has, but by themselves the game is very very simple. Your dude can move a certain amount, make very basic attacks, that's pretty much it. However, there are special characteristics for each dude like knowledge of explosives, or special non-attack abilities the character can do instead of attack. The rest of the game's actions are served up by

2- Cards. Cards allow your character to perform special actions (suppressing fire for example), interrupt enemy actions, lay down new terrain, etc.. These cards are drawn from a communal deck.

I want to marry these two ideas to make it so even though you're picking unique dudes, you and your opponent still both draw from the same deck and the strategy here is always having options. When you kill an enemy's guy, I want it to be not because you rolled the right number the right number of times- I want it to be because you laid down a card and they had no answer.

I also like the idea with this plan that since you're dealing with one hand for each set of guys, every time one of your guys dies, the rest become potentially more dangerous because you have fewer mouths to feed, so to speak. The last guy will always be slippery because he is one guy with an entire hand to use.

So that's the idea in a nutshell. A squad tactics game with a hand of cards to deal with.

Problems I already have-

1- Nailing down exactly what cards I want available. I know that I want the main idea to be the active player laying down attacks and the other guy using what's left in his and at the end of his turn to evade those attacks. But what cards will those be?

2- Hit points. I don't think I want hit points, because I want the end result of you running out of options to be that a guy is dead. I want it to mean something for you to have no way out, and I want the attacker to have the satisfaction of knowing he did that. Should I have hit points?

3- Actions and theme. I would like to think that whatever cards I think up, those cards should be purely about the system, but at the same time I feel that the theme of the game, whatever it is (right now I'm thinking old west) should feel like it is integral to the game.

4- How the gently caress do I organize decks of cards? I could do it Dominion style where I have banks of cards and the player tailors their deck to their force over the course of the game, but that feels like I would be cheating in terms of game design. Right now the best idea I have though is to rip off Dominion pretty much wholesale in the deck building area, where players choose multiple types of cards to be available, and then pick units based on what actions they know will be available.

I'm sort of trying to figure out a miniature game of my own. I want to make a descent samurai skirmish game that:

A) is simple and fun enough to play as one-off games at conventions, and

B) has an optional campaign setting.

The reason I want to build the game is simply because I like to build terrain, and I've previously brought a table with a slightly modified Lord of the Rings game. The problem I found with LotR is that while still quite simple, it takes too much effort to learn the rules to be a perfect convention one-off game. I've also made a re-skin of Mordheim to play at the club, but we found out that the rules are not really balanced, and Warhammer's D6 system doesn't work perfectly for a skirmish game (sorry 40K, but it doesn't). I love the Mordheim campaign rules, though. I've also heard great things about the new Muskets and Tomahawks rules, but I haven't had the opportunity to read them yet.

I haven't gone as far as to consider a grid system, but it would simplify movement and combat a lot. It's weird how much it feels like the border between a tabletop wargame and a board game is defined by grids vs. no grids.

I really don't have much to show for now, but I would love to be able to include hanafuda cards in some way. I haven't found a possible way yet, as the set is way too complicated and the pictures are too abstract. It would also make it pretty much impossible for people who don't have a very obscure set of playing cards to try the game by themselves.

My playtests this far has had similar problems as you, in that it is difficult to balance stats. In LotR's ruleset, some stats are just so much better, so characters who are weaker in Fight are just weaker overall, no matter how much their other stats are buffed.

The best results for my playtests have been with a team vs. a GM, with the GM playing a band of thugs and the players having one player each. However, I find the balance between many weak units and a few strong ones to be very difficult. Either the bandits are helpless, or they'll just swamp and massacre the players.

At the moment I'm pretty much stuck at a waypoint with two options. My first option is to go with LotR-ish tactical rules and Mordheim-ish campaign setting, and just work on polishing, or to do the actual work of hammering out some real, original rules. I don't plan to release it as an actual product, but I still want it to fill my need of an enjoyable convention game.