Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I like Nandeck for cards.

I whip up a quick layout to show all the info in nandeck and link it to a .csv I work with through excel. Mash "export to PDF" -> print -> cut -> old ccg cards in sleeves -> write edits on them until there's no more room -> repeat.

I also made a custom 6nimmt deck completely in nandeck for peak nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
It's not very badass sounding, but "together" and "alone" might work. Depends on the tone of the game.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Trynant posted:

I have a fun story:

I decided to take a break from one game I was working on to try for something simpler. Or, well, I thought it would be simpler; going from a grid-based minis game to a card game. Right?

Hah.

Here I am spending hours and hours writing individual card stats and sketching out game rules to try to make something that seems sensible, hopefully play(test)able. It's...

:negative:

I'm amused how how my attempt to think small backfired tremendously. At the same time, designing something like this is a huge joy as much as it as huge challenge.

Griping/musing aside, I definitely want to share this design after I hammer out some rough spots with the game. It's basically a card/tableau-building game that parodies videogame RPGs.

Did you read that "secret history of dominion" post? Essentially Dominion started when he got tired of statting all the cards and just played with multiples of the ten he had at the time. Maybe just stop and try the mechanics with what you have and tweak from there.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm emulating arena FPSs, so the solution was to allow people to spawn on spawn points that people are standing on, the person standing on it gets instantly killed.

Telefragging is a mechanic in my game.

In actual online shooters there are always campers. Mechanically, most common way they deal with it are time & score limits. I would think a turn limit would be a great solution for your issue. Sure, he might be an unkillible fortress, but his turn is also "I'll stay here and wait for someone to get close", so campers would actually speed up the game instead of drawing it out.

This got me thinking about a weird idea of combining doom & formula de where to "brake" you have to lose points or cards or whatever is keeping this guy alive in the corner. That's probably a whole other, game, though.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
I see a lot of games make their goal with good art and cubes. I think good art is more important. I'd price it out and make it a stretch goal, but only if the stretch totally covers the costs. If there's one thing I've noticed in KS post-mortems it's "holy poo poo those miniatures cost way more than I thought and almost bankrupted me". Well, that and shipping. </anecdotal>

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
This weekend, I participated in a board game design jam. The goal was to have a playable prototype for playtesting by lunchtime Sunday, after which we would invite anyone from the small con the event was hosted within to come play.

Our theme was... Cocktail! There were only 5 of us participating, but we split into two groups and started brainstorming. We came up with all sorts of ideas, from the obvious (dice/cards trying to fulfil orders) to the obscure (cockfighting with tails as the prize, drug cocktails, riots with molotov cocktails).

Our group settled with a simple concept: the players are a bunch of people on a cocktail crawl around downtown; first to hit all the bars wins. You move around by flicking a disc around the board littered with obstacles and "friends" - neutral pieces used to block and be dicks with. Every time your piece moved and ended a turn on a bar, take a drink. Every few drinks you replaced your disc with a slightly bigger disc. The catch: you only count a bar as visited if your piece ends completely within the boundary of the bar. So it literally gets harder to do as you get more drunk. You stumble around the bar trying to fit your disc completely within its confines so you can finally score it. It worked really well. One of the guys took it home to replace the blocks of index cards with proper wooden buildings.

The other group also had a great design. The table plays a simple climbing game taking on the role of rich guests at a cocktail party. One of the players is playing a bartender, trying to serve drinks, but the guests are too snooty/snobby/busy bragging about their lifestyles to actually order the drinks they want. He attempts to serve drink combinations to the guests while they play the climbing game. If the drink matches the secret drink card a guest holds, the bartender scores. If it doesn't match, the guest may push the unwanted drink back, and draw more cards for the climbing game. It created an interesting seperate-but-symbiotic relationship between the two games.

The jam was definitely a fun experience! Because of the low-overhead of component design, it was pretty chill and we were out of there by 5pm on both days. I suspect the computer dev jammers next door weren't sleeping much that night after they went home.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

xopods posted:

Can anyone think of some super-sweet theme for this other than just running a country, which could give me inspiration for the mechanical details? Or just some feature that they'd really like to see in such a game? Or just general feedback on the concept? I feel like it's something that could be really amazing, but at the moment it's still just a blob of goo waiting for a catalyst to help it crystalize. I've been working on tight, minimalist little games so long that figuring out where to even start on something bigger is intimidating me.

Junta

Run a banana republic. Mired by a design from the year I was born, the entertaining core of the game is NOT the coup/overthrow war game, but the simple drawing of "foreign aid" and distribution of it by El Presidente to his cabinet. This core was ripped out and the coup part simplified for the more recent Junta: Viva El Presidente

I would be excited to see this streamlined even more, so I don't have to explain how attacks work or have to roll any dice.

Another theme option: the true rulers of nations, corporations and their board of executives.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

xopods posted:

The main threat to the jungle could then be humans, but I'm not sure how that works with the traitor mechanic.

Could a traitor make a particular animal look to humans as sharks do: so scary they must be hunted to extinction? An animal of the "hunted" kind cannot win the game, or the animal that is viewed as least harmless is the only to survive ("who the hell would shoot a panda? look at its face! d'awwwwww")

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Broken Loose posted:

I really really like the idea of a game where everybody is a dude in a gorilla costume except for 1 actual gorilla who can and will kill all the others if he finds out they're human.

mother of god. in

unrelated to your reply, but related to you: http://messhof.com/Poocuzzi

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

xopods posted:

It's hilarious conceptually but I don't know how you'd make it work as a game, since the players know the rules to the game they're playing. If it's one guy against everyone else it can work in a traitor type game - informed minority vs. uninformed majority - but you can't really do the reverse, since if you're the only dude who doesn't know who the gorilla is, it's obviously you, and therefore everyone else is human.

Maybe the gorilla is sick of the jungle and wants a nice house and a wife and a 9-to-5 job and cable loving tv. His goal is to be voted human in the end so he gets on the plane with the rest of the scientists when they leave. BUT you can't be too human or the humans will know you're not trying to be a gorilla, which is what the humans are trying to do.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mister Sinewave posted:

Another thing that might be inspirational or useful is the concept of "soft" sabotage. It was a real thing in WWII. Say you're a metalworker forced by the Nazis to work in a factory helping their war effort.

Obviously you can't just refuse because they will simply shoot you. So instead you do your skilled labour, but deliberately inefficiently.

Push the cutting tools or bits into the material with too much force, doing the work but going through bits much faster. Insufficiently lubricate during maintenance, leading to increased downtime and machine wear. And so on.

If everyone does their part then your factory requires more resources and takes longer to crank their poo poo out and every little bit helps. Studies were even done showing just how much production could be affected when the workforce is willing to engage in such things.

And no one's doing anything they can get shot for (plausible deniability - the materials suck, these bits are poor quality and brittle, etc.) The only defense against it is total micro management and watching everyone and everything like a hawk - which is it's own form of soft sabotage since a factory operating like that sure isn't efficient either.

In a way everyone was actually a traitor. But the boss's job isn't actually to root traitors out, per se. It's to get the work DONE, traitors or no. Maybe that idea helps.

A game could have a set number of turns to deliver the product (the bomb, I suppose). The commissar or overseer can give up submitting work on a turn to peek at part of the workflow. So instead of getting a "fail", you get information on if there is a traitor or not, but it counts against your clock of the game (which could be a form of sabotage in of itself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

The Leper Colon V posted:

Why not just make it happen in real time, then? Find a way to make sure the overseer has something he needs to do that he's giving up doing by watching the workflow.

You'd need some way to enforce that the Overseer can only talk directly to middle management, though. Then you get some hectic real-time Telephone stuff going on.

Heheh, the game is completely silent except for playing cards to your superiors/subordinates asking for things (Commissar plays "Show me the workflow" card to the overseer). The CD soundtrack is a loud factory floor you can't hear each other over.