Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Does Fast Racing Neo have split screen online like Mario Kart does? My GF loves Mario Kart and thinking some more racing action could be good if we can go online together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DroneRiff posted:

My GF loves Mario Kart and thinking some more racing action could be good if we can go online together

Buy Sonic Transformed Racing. No joke, you'll both love it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Saoshyant posted:

In case you think you're geing trolled, actually buy Sonic Transformed Racing. I have it on Steam and I think it has better tracks and driving than Mario Kart 8.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

deadly_pudding posted:

In case you think you're geing trolled, actually buy Sonic Transformed Racing. I have it on Steam and I think it has better tracks and driving than Mario Kart 8.

Gonna have to pile on here to agree.
It's my favorite Mario Kart game and it's gorgeous.

Edit: You know what I want to play again?
Diddy Kong Racing.
I recall the last race with Wizpig was brutal and you could only reasonable expect to win by a few seconds.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Thanks everyone. Amazon has it for £15 so snapped it up for the weekend! I can remember everyone raving about but it just didn't stick in my head for some reason.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even drug maker Jesse loves Sonic Kart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4IorCWVzVE

I honestly liked Mario Kart 8 more, but only slightly. It probably my second favorite cart racer, with Mario Kart 64 being third.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Word, thanks goons. Looks like I'll start with Adventure, Super Star, and, if I dig those two, Triple Deluxe.

Another good start would be Nightmare in Dreamland which is a GBA remake of the original Kirby's Adventure.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Word, thanks goons. Looks like I'll start with Adventure, Super Star, and, if I dig those two, Triple Deluxe.

Nightmare in Dream Land on the GBA is a remake of Adventure with somewhat improved graphics and audio.

It's basically the same game otherwise, but I just thought you might want to know.

(There's a good argument that Kirby's Adventure is the best-looking game on the NES, or at least one of the top five or so, so it needed the update less than most did)

e:fb

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought Sonic Racing Transformed sucked on Wii U. It had a pretty bad framerate. It's fantastic on PC though but still no Mario Kart 8.:v:

There's actually three versions of Kirby's Adventure. NES, GBA remake and the amazing 3D Classics version.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: Kirby's Adventure is the absolute largest official released-in-NA NES game in terms of file size, weighing in at a whopping...half a megabyte.

If you go to the Wii U eShop, it'll tell you "65.9 MB required for installation" because these things come bundled with the emulator for each individual game.

(Apparently the largest unofficial Famicom game is the Chinese homebrew "port" of Final Fantasy VII to the Chinese Famicom, weighing in at two MB)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Nightmare in Dreamland is fine but I wouldn't really recommend it over the original unless it was the only version you had access to. It's technically a "better" game, I guess, but I feel like it lost a little of what made Kirby's Adventure special in the process. Sorta like Mario All-Stars where on a pure like fidelity scale they're improved but everything just looks and sounds off and there's less detail (mario 3 looks less like a stage play, kirby's art sorta runs together and is less distinct)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SRM posted:

Kirby Super Star isn't just the best Kirby game, it's the best 8 Kirby games in one!

Super Star Ultra is also a great remake of it for the DS, and Super Star is in Kirby's Dream Collection on Wii. After Super Star, you can kind of play pretty much any one of them - they're all good. Kirby Triple Deluxe on 3DS is also great, and a super good follow up to Superstar.

I really love how while most platformers just have different visual themes for the different worlds (the cave world or the dessert world or the space world), KSS straight up features different game rules for each "world," culminating in the ability to pick and choose which ability you want to use (after tracking them down)

absolutely anything posted:

Nightmare in Dreamland is fine but I wouldn't really recommend it over the original unless it was the only version you had access to. It's technically a "better" game, I guess, but I feel like it lost a little of what made Kirby's Adventure special in the process. Sorta like Mario All-Stars where on a pure like fidelity scale they're improved but everything just looks and sounds off and there's less detail (mario 3 looks less like a stage play, kirby's art sorta runs together and is less distinct)

Kirby's Adventure is bar none the best looking NES game imo. The color choices are so good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

absolutely anything posted:

:yeah:

It's still worth checking out for Meta Knight mode though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Looper posted:

I really love how while most platformers just have different visual themes for the different worlds (the cave world or the dessert world or the space world), KSS straight up features different game rules for each "world," culminating in the ability to pick and choose which ability you want to use (after tracking them down)

Yeah, for as good as the last couple of Kirby games have been there's a reason Super Star is still my favorite. I really like the format of a bunch of separate "games" that each have their own focus/gimmick. I kinda wish they'd do that again.

That said Planet Robobot is like, right up there. It's so good

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Saoshyant posted:

This is so true. While I'm sure Sonic fandom is its own disorder on the spectrum by now, this is a solid game about actually going fast. And yeah, Sonic's name is on it, but it includes all the big characters from Sega games, like.. uh.. Sonic's supporting cast, and Football Manager, and the monkeys from Monkey Ball and Samba de Amigo? And a few others? loving Christ, no wonder they specifically name Sonic.

Play it because it's a great kart racer, not for the names on it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Meldonox posted:

This is so true. While I'm sure Sonic fandom is its own disorder on the spectrum by now, this is a solid game about actually going fast. And yeah, Sonic's name is on it, but it includes all the big characters from Sega games, like.. uh.. Sonic's supporting cast, and Football Manager, and the monkeys from Monkey Ball and Samba de Amigo? And a few others? loving Christ, no wonder they specifically name Sonic.

Play it because it's a great kart racer, not for the names on it.

No lie Vyse from SoA being playable was kind of a factor for me

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mine was Pudding from Space Channel 5. Thanks for listening to my story.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The character selection in that game is actually amazing.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

(I almost exclusively played as Football Manager)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Uhh, Danica Patrick is the real star (even though I love the samurai).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played as everyone to level them up but the best characters are the Jet Set Radio guys, Ulala and ages

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

On the PC version I would have played a looooot of the TF2 characters, but all their voices were wrong, so I couldn't bear it. The original voice actors take like $200 from the public to say dumb things on Youtube all the time, they would have taken whatever crumbs Sega would have been willing to offer.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Regy Rusty posted:

Forget all those and just play Kirby Mass Attack

Yes, but also Kirby's Dream Course.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Every Kirby game is good except for maybe that Dedede drum game. Even that probably owns cause Dedede.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That drum game was such a letdown, even the expanded version sucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That drum game was such a letdown, even the expanded version sucks.

All drum games will disappoint you if they are not Donkey Konga.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

All drum games will disappoint you if they are not Donkey Konga.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

No lie Vyse from SoA being playable was kind of a factor for me

Don't forget the entire Rogue's Landing course. That course made me far happier than it had any right to :allears:.

DroneRiff posted:

Does Fast Racing Neo have split screen online like Mario Kart does? My GF loves Mario Kart and thinking some more racing action could be good if we can go online together

It does indeed, full four-player splitscreen.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

How was Kirby's 20th anniversary collection better than Mario's 25th.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

DroneRiff posted:

Does Fast Racing Neo have split screen online like Mario Kart does?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does indeed, full four-player splitscreen.
Splitscreen is offline only though, racing online is a full screen affair.
The framerate drops to 30fps in four player mode, but 2 player still maintains 60fps

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Since the Wii U thread is no longer around, I was wondering if I could ask a question about the console in here.

I am planning on getting one soon, but want to confirm that my set up for it will work. I want to use HDMI to a PC monitor for video and preferably a headset for audio. I've read that I can use the gamepad for this, although I've also read that the gamepad won't put audio out for every game. Planning on Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 1+2, so if all those games work with getting game audio out of the gamepad then it's a-okay.. Although I would prefer using the pro gampad for Bayonetta by the look of it.

I know I can tell the console to output audio via composite and video via HDMI. Would it be possible to do this and connect headphones to the compos and get audio that way? Or would I need to use an HDMI splitter and get audio that way? The monitor I'm connecting it to does have speakers, but no USB port so I can't audio out from it. I've got access to both USB headset and 3.5mm headphones. Any help would be rad.

Sorry that this is slightly off topic, but I couldn't find a better thread for it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Spellman posted:

How was Kirby's 20th anniversary collection better than Mario's 25th.

Is this a legit question? The mario 25th anniversary is the all stars version of mario 1, lost levels, 2 and 3. Those are almost considered the worst version of their games due to their hosed up physics.

Meanwhile in dream collection, you got a cool museum, dreamland 1, 2, 3 as originally played, plus you get kirbys adventure, super star and kirby 64. So 6 solid kirby games, versus 4 mario games, of which they are the hosed up versions.

And then Kirby has a cool menu museum thing. Mario is just a rom of super mario all-stars for the SNES.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 29, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it was a statement not a question

but it doesn't matter because the Metroid 30th Anniversary Collection will definitely exist and be even better than the Kirby one

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it was a statement not a question

but it doesn't matter because the Metroid 30th Anniversary Collection will definitely exist and be even better than the Kirby one

Would be nice to have Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission and Metroid Prime 1-3 all on one disc.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Is this a legit question? The mario 25th anniversary is the all stars version of mario 1, lost levels, 2 and 3. Those are almost considered the worst version of their games due to their hosed up physics.

All I'm saying is here's a trailer for Kirby and Mario. You tell me which one's better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA6cqE5gDIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5a9KVVhwWc

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

iGestalt posted:

Since the Wii U thread is no longer around, I was wondering if I could ask a question about the console in here.

I am planning on getting one soon, but want to confirm that my set up for it will work. I want to use HDMI to a PC monitor for video and preferably a headset for audio. I've read that I can use the gamepad for this, although I've also read that the gamepad won't put audio out for every game. Planning on Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 1+2, so if all those games work with getting game audio out of the gamepad then it's a-okay.. Although I would prefer using the pro gampad for Bayonetta by the look of it.

I know I can tell the console to output audio via composite and video via HDMI. Would it be possible to do this and connect headphones to the compos and get audio that way? Or would I need to use an HDMI splitter and get audio that way? The monitor I'm connecting it to does have speakers, but no USB port so I can't audio out from it. I've got access to both USB headset and 3.5mm headphones. Any help would be rad.

Sorry that this is slightly off topic, but I couldn't find a better thread for it.

You can do this pretty easily in Windows. I played Splatoon with voice chat like this for a while with both the voice and game audio coming over my headset so the people I was playing with didn't have to hear my game.

You need a Wii composite cable and an RCA audio to 3.5mm adapter. Plug the Wii composite cable into the console and then connect the red and white audio connectors to your PC's line in using the adapter. In the Wii U's system settings you can tell it to output the video through HDMI and the audio through the analog output. In Windows, you can tell it to pipe the line in out through one of the audio output devices, "Speakers" if using an analog headset or the specific headset device if using the USB headset.

edit: if you don't want to use a computer you can probably go buy a headphone amplifier and use it instead of the PC

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 29, 2016

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

You can do this pretty easily in Windows. I played Splatoon with voice chat like this for a while with both the voice and game audio coming over my headset so the people I was playing with didn't have to hear my game.

You need a Wii composite cable and an RCA audio to 3.5mm adapter. Plug the Wii composite cable into the console and then connect the red and white audio connectors to your PC's line in using the adapter. In the Wii U's system settings you can tell it to output the video through HDMI and the audio through the analog output. In Windows, you can tell it to pipe the line in out through one of the audio output devices, "Speakers" if using an analog headset or the specific headset device if using the USB headset.

edit: if you don't want to use a computer you can probably go buy a headphone amplifier and use it instead of the PC

Interesting - thank you! I'm not interested in voice chat, just game audio. This does seem like it'd work with what I want, though. I'll give it a try when I get the console!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

Meanwhile in dream collection, you got a cool museum, dreamland 1, 2, 3 as originally played, plus you get kirbys adventure, super star and kirby 64. So 6 solid kirby games, versus 4 mario games, of which they are the hosed up versions.

And then Kirby has a cool menu museum thing. Mario is just a rom of super mario all-stars for the SNES.

The Mario All-Stars Collection is better than Kirby's, because it actually came out in PAL regions :negative:.

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015
Which one should I get, SMT IV or DeSu 2 ?
I like the anime style of DeSu 2 more, but I've played the NDS version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

systemchronos posted:

Which one should I get, SMT IV or DeSu 2 ?
I like the anime style of DeSu 2 more, but I've played the NDS version

Do you want a dungeon crawler or an SRPG?