Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's almost 2013 and Nintendo is now managing four digital platforms simultaneously, and what's more, they're doing a reasonable job with at least one of them! Who knew they had it in 'em? Not anyone with a Wii or DSi, that's for sure!

Here's a quick rundown of each platform that I'll edit later, maybe:

The Wii U eShop is Nintendo's first real attempt at making digital distribution a core part of their home console business - not only are they releasing far more games of all varieties but the platform is friendlier to indies and other third-party devs and more intuitive and hassle-free for customers. Barring some catastrophous cock-up, it should do okay! Here's what's been announced so far:

• Downloadable Retail Software All first-party games will receive a simultaneous digital release on the eShop, available at midnight on release day, and Nintendo is "heavily encouraging" third-party publishers to follow suit. All first-party retail downloads will be prices at MSRP; third-party retail downloads may or may not be slightly cheaper.
  • eShop Games The eShop will also offer up a range of download-only games from first-party, third-party and indie publishers, and they won't be constrained by file size or pricing schemes or arbitrary Nintendo logic this time! (Theoretically, anyway.) Wii U eShop launch titles include Nano Assault Neo, Little Inferno, Trine 2, Chasing Aurora and Mighty Switch Force HD.
  • Wii U Virtual Console Games (eventually) All we know about the Wii U Virtual Console is that it's coming - no ETA, no list of supported consoles/games, no word on the feature set beyond off-TV play, nothing.
  • Other Junk! A variety of different apps and multimedia programs may or may not be available to you via the eShop depending on your region; NA already has apps for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon and Youtube, for example, whereas the UK will probably get a BBC iView app and Australia won't get anything at all. Take 'em as they come, I guess.

WiiWare and Wii Virtual Console titles can also be purchased on Wii U via the Wii Shop Channel, accessible via Wii Mode, and can also be transferred from your Wii console. For a detailed rundown of the transfer process and the restrictions placed on Wii U when running Wii software, look further down the page. (tldr: if it's convenient, you can't do it.)

The Wii U eShop allows you to:
  • Browse the store mid-game
  • Buy games with real money in exact amounts, either by credit card or prepaid funds card
  • Download games, demos, patches and DLC in the background or in sleep mode
  • View trailers, screenshots and user ratings
  • Search for games by name, genre, platform, publisher, user rating, price and sales charts
  • Download games directly to external USB storage
  • Link to your Club Nintendo page for extra coins/stars
  • Other crap I will add at a later date!

The 3DS eShop took a while to really get going but it now offers a good amount of supplementary digital material, including full retail titles, and has had a reasonably regular update schedule that's made it (marginally) more user-friendly. Here's what's on offer:

• Downloadable Retail Software Nintendo has been doing simultaneous digital launches for retail games starting with NSMB2, and they're slowly releasing older retail titles for download, too. Again, third-party publishers are being "encouraged" to offer retail software digitally, but there's not a whole lot to choose from at the moment.
  • eShop Games The 3DS has built up a decent selection of first-party and indie eShop titles, including but not limited to Pushmo/Crashmo, Liberation Maiden, Colors! 3D, Mighty Switch Force and Denpa Men, and there are a lot of promising titles on the horizon such as Crimson Shroud, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Ikachan, Aero Porter and Nano Assault EX.
  • 3DS Virtual Console Games The 3DS Virtual Console offers a somewhat modest selection of Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Gear and NES games; each game has been enhanced with save/restore states and... not much else, really. Don't bother asking if/when [game/console x] will be made available, because we don't know.
  • DSiWare The vast majority of DSiWare games are available for purchase on 3DS via the eShop; these games run in DS mode and can only be played from the system's internal memory. (For a detailed list of DSiWare-related restrictions, look further down the page.)
  • Other junk! There are a few free downloadable... things for 3DS, including Swapnote/Nintendo Letter Box (fun!), Nintendo Video (worthless!) and the StreetPass-based ad carrier Nintendo Zone (ugh!). NA also has Netflix, and PAL-land has some other miscellaneous garbage, as per usual.

The 3DS eShop allows you to:
  • Buy games with real money in exact amounts, either by credit card or prepaid funds card
  • Queue eShop purchases to download while in sleep mode
  • View trailers, screenshots and user ratings
  • Search for games by name, genre, platform, publisher, user rating, price and sales charts
  • Download games directly to SD card

The Wii Shop Channel has pretty much run its course; it was notoriously restrictive on customers, devs and publishers alike, and the percentage of good-to-crap WiiWare releases is extremely low, but now we can look back on the few good games instead of lamenting all the bad ones, maybe? I don't know.

• WiiWare The prospects of any more good WiiWare releases are very slim, but there's a respectable catalogue of quality titles available for download, including but not limited to La-Mulana, Gradius/Contra/Castlevania Rebirth, Mega Man 9/10, Fluidity/Hydroventure, World of Goo and the Art Style series.
  • Wii Virtual Console Games The Wii Virtual Console offers some 200+ games over several different platforms, including NES, SNES, N64, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, Turbografx-16/CD, Neo Geo, Commodore 64 and Virtual Console Arcade. Games come with suspend states, but that's pretty much it in terms of extra features. (SNES/N64/some Neo Geo games require a Classic/Gamecube controller.)
  • Other junk! The Wii also has a small selection of apps for download, including Netflix/Hulu players, an internet browser and a Youtube app, as well as a bunch of goofy Nintendo-made channels that you'll download once and then never touch ever again.

The Wii Shop Channel allows you to:
  • Buy games with Nintendo Points, purchasable in 1000-point increments
  • Send gifts to friends who live in your country via Wii Address Book
  • Download games directly to SD card

The DSi Shop Channel is available only on DSi, sells only DSiWare and isn't particularly remarkable besides, but for the sake of completeness, here's a rundown of what it can do:

The DSi Shop Channel allows you to:
  • Buy games with Nintendo Points, purchasable in 1000-point increments
  • Send gifts to friends who live in your country via Wii Address Book

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NINTENDO NETWORK INFO, FAQ, ETC later, I'm tired

How do I buy Wii Virtual Console games on Wii U?

Wii Virtual Console games (and WiiWare) can only be purchased from the Wii Shop Channel in Wii Mode. This channel uses Nintendo Points instead of standard currency and has a separate wallet from the eShop. You can buy Nintendo Points directly from the Wii Shop Channel using your credit card, but they can only be purchased in 1000-point increments.

Can I play Wii Virtual Console/WiiWare games on/with the Gamepad/Pro Controller?

No, and you probably won't ever be able to. WiiWare/Wii VC games require a Wiimote and in many cases a Classic Controller and/or Nunchuk.

Can I play WiiWare/Wii VC games from my external hard drive?

No, and you probably won't ever be able to. WiiWare/Wii VC games can only be played from the 512MB on-board storage reserved for Wii Mode, or a SD Card (32GB SDHC max).

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 26, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UPCOMING GAMES, RECOMMENDATIONS, ETC same deal

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 29):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    ? - €" / £/
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - DLC packs €6.00 / £5.25 each, DLC bundle €9.00 / £8.25 until January 5
    Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until January 8
    New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until January 8
    Splatoon (Wii U) - €39.99 / £24.99 until January 8
    Pokken Tournament (Wii U) - €41.99 / £34.99 until January 8
    Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympics (Wii U) - €34.99 / £27.99 until January 8
    Lego City Undercover (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until January 8
    Super Mario Bros. (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until January 8
    Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until January 8
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until January 8
    Steamworld Heist (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £7.49 until January 4
    Steamworld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €1.79 / £1.49 until January 4
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until January 5
    Lego Batman 2 (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Batman 3 (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Movie The Game (Wii U) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Lego Hobbit (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Avengers (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Jurassic World (Wii U) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Electronic Super Joy (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until January 5
    Runbow (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £5/49 until January 5
    Pirate Pop Plus (Wii U eShop) - €2.24 / £2.04 until January 5
    Swords & Soldiers 2 (Wii U eShop) - €9.49 / £8.49 until January 5
    Tengami (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until January 5
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U) - €5.99 / £4.79 until January 5
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U) - €4.90 / £3.95 until January 5
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until January 5
    Electronic Super Joy (Wii U eShop) - €9.99 / £7.33 until January 12

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Shin-Chan Vol.4 - €1.99 / £1.79
    Shin-Chan Vol.5 - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS MENU THEMES (December 30)
    Pokemon Adventure Partner - €1.99 / £1.79
    Pokemon Full-Power Z Moves - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Fire Emblem Fates (3DS) - 30% off all DLC until January 5
    Mario Kart 7 (3DS) - €31.49 / £27.99 until January 8
    Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - €31.49 / £27.99 until January 8
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - €31.49 / £27.99 until January 8
    Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (3DS) - €27.99 / £24.99 until January 8
    Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games (3DS) - €27.99 / £24.99 until January 8
    Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (3DS) - €15.99 / £12.79 until January 8
    BOXBOXBOY (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 until January 8
    Super Mario Bros. (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until January 8
    Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until January 8
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until January 8
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until December 31
    Steel Empire (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until January 4
    Steamworld Heist (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £7.49 until January 4
    Steamworld Dig (3DSeShop) - €1.79 / £1.49 until January 4
    Street Fighter 4 3D (3DS) - €7.99 / £7/19 until January 5
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €8.99 / £7.49 until January 5
    Resident Evil Mercenaries (3DS) - €3.99 / £3.59 until January 5
    Mega Man Legacy Collection (3DS) - €7/90 / £6.29 until January 5
    Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (3DS eShop) - €19.99 / £16.49 until January 5
    Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - €11.25 / £9,00 until January 5
    Lego Jurassic World (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until January 5
    Lego Legends of Chima (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Lego Marvel Avengers (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until January 5
    Lego Batman 3 (3DS) - €19.99 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes (3DS) - €19.50 / £19.99 until January 5
    Lego The Movie (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Lego The Hobbit (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Lego Ninjago: Nindroids (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.49 until January 5
    Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until January 5
    Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 5
    Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS) - €11.99 / £11.99 until January 5
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until January 5
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - €12.49 / £9.99 until January 5
    Sadame (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.79 until January 5
    Witch & Hero 2 (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until January 5
    Legend of Dark Witch (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.89 until January 12
    Legend of Dark Witch 2 (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.89 until January 12
    Mercenaries Saga 2 (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.89 until January 12
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.99 until January 12

NA update (week of December 29):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    ?o - $/
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Kart 64 (N64) - $9.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    full list here
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) - $13.59 until January 4
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - $9.99 until January 4
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U) - $5.99 until January 4
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - $5.99 until January 4
    Steamworld Heist (Wii U eShop) - $9.99 until January 4
    Steamworld Dig (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until January 4
    Runbow (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until ?
    Pirate Pop Plus (Wii U eShop) - $2.49 until ?
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - $7.99 until ?
    Legend of Kay Anniversary (Wii U) - $4.99 until ?
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until ?

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    / - $?
NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) - $7.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    Pokemon New Partner - $?
    Pokemon Full-Power Z Moves - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    full list here
    Mega Man Legacy Collection (3DS) - $7.49 until January 4
    Monster Hunter 3 (3DS) - $9.99 until January 4
    Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) - $19.99 until January 4
    Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) - $19.99 until January 4
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - $4.99 until January 4
    Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - $4.99 until January 4
    Stret Fighter 4 (3DS) - $4.99 until January 4
    Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice (3DS eShop) - $19.99 until January 4
    Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - $11.99 until January 4
    Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS eShop) - $14.99 until January 4
    Steamworld Heist (3DS eShop) - $9.99 until January 4
    Steamworld Dig (3DSeShop) - $1.99 until January 4
    Pirate Pop Plus (New 3DS eShop) - $2.49 until ?
    Witch & Hero 2 (3DS eShop) - $2.79 until ?
    AVGN Adventures (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until ?
    AVGN Adventures 2 (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until ?
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - $7.99 until ?
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - $2.24 until ?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 29, 2016

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Happy Crashmo Day!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Fallblox is fun until I get stuck on a puzzle for ages and get frustrated. Then I come back, figured it out and life is good again.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I always read it as Failblox, thanks Internet.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Several people (including myself) were having issues with purchasing and downloading new content from the eShop recently. The Error Code I was getting was 005-6535, and after looking it up on Nintendo's support site, it turns out that it's an "Invalid Zip Code or Address" error. Even though my address worked perfectly fine before, I imagine one of their eShop software updates probably just messed things up a bit. I followed the "Additional Steps" on this page and now it works fine: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=005-6535&system=3DS&locale=lang#country

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Pullblox and Fallblox are more descriptive names, but Pushmo and Crashmo are better names.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the uplay app not up? I found the uplay menu on zombiu, and I'm supposed to use the app from the eshop to make an account. I can't find it though =/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (November 22):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    King of Fighters '96 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pilotwings Resort - €44.99 / £39.99
3DS eSHOP
    Dress To Play: Cute Witches - €3.99 / £3.59
    PIX3D - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Art Academy DLC Lessons - €1.99 / £1.79 each
  • Drawing Birds
  • Illumination
DSIWARE
    Spirit Hunters Inc: Light - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
    Spirit Hunters Inc: Shadow - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19

NA update (November 22):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    NINJA MASTER'S (Neo Geo, yes that's how they spelled it on the press release) - 900 Points
3DS eSHOP
    Crashmo - $8.99
    3D Mahjongg - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Zelda II: Adventure of Link (NES) - $4.99
DSIWARE
    Spirit Hunters Inc: Light - 800 Points / $7.99
    Spirit Hunters Inc: Shadow - 800 Points / $7.99

Nothing new for Wii U - I guess they figured all the launch titles would tide people over.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How come Zelda 2 and a few other NES games don't get the update to get the new features?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't? Have you tried updating them manually from the settings menu in the eShop? All the PAL Ambassador games that have been officially released have updated just fine for me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They don't? Have you tried updating them manually from the settings menu in the eShop? All the PAL Ambassador games that have been officially released have updated just fine for me.

I tried that and it saying "nothing new to update". I know Zelda 2 and at least one
other NES game should be having a update. I might just try deleting them and redownloading them.

Nevermind, I had to go to the store page to update it for some reason.

[edit] And yet after updating, it still has the generic Ambassador menu icon.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 22, 2012

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm going to have to make an early recommendation for Little Inferno for the WiiU. It's a little pricy at 15 bucks, but it's an experience. The premise is pretty simple, you're given a fireplace and a catalog of stuff to burn. Everything thing you burn gets you more money than you started with to buy more stuff to burn. All the while you get letters from your neighbor, from Tomorrow Corp, and from The Weather Man. It's absolutely bizarre and like nothing else I've ever played.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Echoing that sentiment.
Little Inferno is oddly addicting. And strangely compelling.

I know the $15 price tag is a little intimidating. But I love it, and I'm glad it was my first wii u eshop download.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads-up for PAL 3DS owners - neither Nintendo nor the publisher has mentioned it at all, but Virtue's Last Reward got a digital release on the eShop today. Price on the UK store is £30, haven't checked the EU stores. That's cheaper than the retail price, isn't it?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It still shows up as Retail Only on the US e-Shop.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got a 3DS a few days ago and I feel like I've lost my mind. The eshop is a pain in the rear end to navigate, but despite that I feel like I found F-Zero Maximum Velocity two nights ago. I was going to buy it but decided to wait until I played some original GB games.

I logged in today to buy it and I can't find it. Is there some trick to this store I'm just missing that makes it less difficult to navigate?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MassRayPer posted:

I got a 3DS a few days ago and I feel like I've lost my mind. The eshop is a pain in the rear end to navigate, but despite that I feel like I found F-Zero Maximum Velocity two nights ago. I was going to buy it but decided to wait until I played some original GB games.

I logged in today to buy it and I can't find it. Is there some trick to this store I'm just missing that makes it less difficult to navigate?

You didn't, because Maximum Velocity was one of the GBA Ambassador games that isn't available on the shop. No idea what the hell you saw, but that wasn't it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Artix74 posted:

You didn't, because Maximum Velocity was one of the GBA Ambassador games that isn't available on the shop. No idea what the hell you saw, but that wasn't it.

Ah. I simply went insane then, that's good to know.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Little Inferno sounds pretty insane and good, wonder if the 3DS will get a port, given how Nintendo's revising their digital fronts all over.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

Ah. I simply went insane then, that's good to know.

It's possible you mistook Vector Racing for F-Zero which is a 3DS downloadable game. Though this seems like a longshot as the graphical styles are completely different.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rirse posted:

How come Zelda 2 and a few other NES games don't get the update to get the new features?

This really confused me too, no restore feature and a barebones manual. I shouldn't have to search for an update to make this game on par with the other virtual console games I've bought.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I spend more time playing eShop games on my 3DS than actual games. There is a huge catalog of DSi-ware games that I feel gets ignored.
Any idea if the new Picross game is ever going to come out in the US?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Rirse posted:

I tried that and it saying "nothing new to update". I know Zelda 2 and at least one
other NES game should be having a update. I might just try deleting them and redownloading them.

Nevermind, I had to go to the store page to update it for some reason.

[edit] And yet after updating, it still has the generic Ambassador menu icon.

That the odd part - They put on the shop the generic icon until like weeks after, they update it to have the NES splash that Super Mario Bros has as an example. It took quite a while for Donkey Kong Jr. to get a proper splash, so it's really a Nintendo thing why some VC games don't get a proper splash when they're finally available to the public.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know if Crashmo looks better than Pushmo? I'm not complaining about Pushmo at all, but the gameplay footage I've seen of Crashmo makes it seem more polished.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone know if Crashmo looks better than Pushmo? I'm not complaining about Pushmo at all, but the gameplay footage I've seen of Crashmo makes it seem more polished.

Graphically, Crashmo is not an improvement over Pushmo, if that's what you meant; it seems to use basically the same assets. It has, however, got more robust camera controls (necessary, since you're now moving the blocks around along two axes), more music, more characters, faster unlocking of features, and some SpotPass functionality that I don't know what it is.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Oh no Crashmo looks almost like a portable version of Catherine. Oh lord give me strength.

What's the deal with the art academy DLC in NA? I might actually want to drop 30 dollars on a drawing game if I can learn how to draw birds~ :3:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I haven't been keeping up with the eshop, can I get some general recommendations for cheap 3DS eshop games? Aside from Pushmo or Crashmo, that is. I've already had my fill of Pushmo. Value/replayability is really important to me - the original WarioWare is by far my most played game on 3DS.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Solaris Knight posted:

Little Inferno sounds pretty insane and good, wonder if the 3DS will get a port, given how Nintendo's revising their digital fronts all over.

Both of those adjectives are accurate. There's some pretty great humor, including the Ren & Stimpy "Blammo!"-esque in-game "Little Inferno" commercial. The gameplay does occasionally feel a bit simple, but the length of the game is just right for that. By the time I was finished with it, I definitely felt like I had gotten a game experience worth my money.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What's the deal with the art academy DLC in NA? I might actually want to drop 30 dollars on a drawing game if I can learn how to draw birds~ :3:

I think NA is getting most of the DLC at the same time as PAL-land, NOA just don't put it on the press releases.

noirstronaut posted:

I've been enjoying it a lot more than I ever enjoyed Pushmo, and I'm not even close to the end. I can't imagine going back to Pushmo after Crashmo.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I just got a Wii U after never having the original Wii. Will buying Virtual Console games via Wii mode tie them to my Ninendo Network ID that I set up for the U in any way? Or is it just a bad idea to go there until some proper Wii U version of the VC comes out (I believe that was supposed to be in the cards, unless I understood incorrectly)?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Minidust posted:

So I just got a Wii U after never having the original Wii. Will buying Virtual Console games via Wii mode tie them to my Ninendo Network ID that I set up for the U in any way? Or is it just a bad idea to go there until some proper Wii U version of the VC comes out (I believe that was supposed to be in the cards, unless I understood incorrectly)?

I believe it just ties your Wii stuff to the Wii U as though it were a Wii, and not to any account in particular. Since Wii Mode treats everything on there as though it were a Wii proper, all purchases and the like will be similar, which means you still have to use Wii Points. No idea if they'll ever tie the Wii Shop Channel purchases to a Nintendo Network ID at all, or allow folks to buy Wii Shop Channel items through the eShop proper, or whatever they may have planned for it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh god I have to finish Pushmo before I buy Crashmo because then I'll probably never beat it. :negative:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

LightningKimba posted:

That the odd part - They put on the shop the generic icon until like weeks after, they update it to have the NES splash that Super Mario Bros has as an example. It took quite a while for Donkey Kong Jr. to get a proper splash, so it's really a Nintendo thing why some VC games don't get a proper splash when they're finally available to the public.

Its not just missing the usual icon, its also without Save States.

I'm especially pissed that they didn't release the update since deleting and re-downloading it also wiped my End of Game save.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've updated Zelda 2 in NA now, apparently. Try updating again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I can't access the EU store. It just tries to connect for nearly two minutes, then gives me an error code. My connection's fine. Any clue on what's going on?

e: the 3DS store. I forgot this thread is multiplatform.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 25, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ninja Master's actually is spelled "correctly." That's how SNK/ADK spell it on the cover and title screen of their game. :)

I love Mighty Switch Force. Aesthetically and aurally it's very very very much like something Vic Tokai/Treasure/Alfa/Tenky/etc. would have dropped onto the Genesis or Turbo Graphx back in the day. This is the Wii U version, never played it on the 3DS.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

Ninja Master's actually is spelled "correctly." That's how SNK/ADK spell it on the cover and title screen of their game. :)

Excellent!