Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

Everyone please buy the greatest game ever made, Kirby Mass Attack

I'm not familiar with this game (a DS game that came out after the 3DS did?), but I just watched a Youtube video.

I...am confused.

Also, if Nintendo's dumping all of the Kirby games, why not just cut to the chase and put Superstar Ultra up already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Patter Song posted:

I...am confused.

kirby is cute and now he is 10 smaller, cuter kirbies that you throw at things

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

kirby is cute and now he is 10 smaller, cuter kirbies that you throw at things

kirby pikmen mashup?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

kirby pikmen mashup?
Pretty much

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I tried to like the game, but I hated the controls. It felt like I was fighting the controls for most of the game. A lot of the manuevers you had to do seem to be really imprecise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The mechanics are Pikmin-esque but it's a straight action game with stages and such, you don't really do a lot of RTS-type stuff if that's a concern. It also has a lot of minigames, even by Kirby's usual standards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rirse posted:

Every time I see that name I see Kirby's Mass Effect.

"Kirby."
"Aaaaayyyye!"
"Kirby."
"P-tooo!"
"Kirby.
*Adorable wooshing sounds*

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

How do DS games work on the Wii U? Is it just the tv for the top screen and the gamepad for the touchscreen, or is it both screens on both displays?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

JetpackHowwy posted:

How do DS games work on the Wii U? Is it just the tv for the top screen and the gamepad for the touchscreen, or is it both screens on both displays?

There are five or six different settings - one of them lets you put the top screen on the tv and the touchscreen on the gamepad but the other settings are mirrored on both displays. There's a standard display option (with an ugly DS border), settings that let you make one screen bigger and the other smaller, a setting to put the screens in book orientation for games that used the DS held vertically, and a setting that's meant to be used with the gamepad held vertically.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are five or six different settings - one of them lets you put the top screen on the tv and the touchscreen on the gamepad but the other settings are mirrored on both displays. There's a standard display option (with an ugly DS border), settings that let you make one screen bigger and the other smaller, a setting to put the screens in book orientation for games that used the DS held vertically, and a setting that's meant to be used with the gamepad held vertically.

Great!

I may go for Mass Attack, then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Best Buy is doing 15% off eShop cards with Pokemon Sun/Moon preorders: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/dotd-pokemon-offer/pcmcat748302046584.c?id=pcmcat748302046584

They also have Pokemon RBY for 20% off ($8): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-pokemon-20160727

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd buy Project Zero 2 for a third time if it came out here.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mass Attack is the secret best Kirby game and you should definitely give it a shot if you haven't yet.

And yes, I also accidentally call it "Kirby: Mass Effect" from time to time.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just announced by NOE: two "Nintendo eShop Selects", ie retail releases of indie eShop games, out September 30:

-FAST Racing Neo (includes "Futre Pack" DLC on the disc)
-Steamworld Collection (Steamworld Dig + Steamworld Heist + Heist DLC on disc)

The Aussie press release has them for $50AUD, so they'll probably end up being about 25EUR/20GBP in Europe.

EDIT: Rising Star's releasing Steamworld Collection in NA, I guess NOA's not doing eShop Selects?

EDIT EDIT: FAST "Future Pack" DLC: 8 new tracks, 10 new vehicle profiles, 18 new tunes

:holy:

FAST Racing NEO is easily one of my favourite WiiU games, and I will be buying it on disc just to sit on my shelf. I'm really looking forward to the DLC, if the rumoured F-Zero crossover happens I will lose my poo poo.
Some screenshots of the upcoming DLC:

:kingsley:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For me it was just too hard. The penalty for any gently caress up was too high, and the threshold for what destroys your vehicle and send you back a third of the track vs what shows you down and knocks you over a bit was too low.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

greatn posted:

For me it was just too hard. The penalty for any gently caress up was too high, and the threshold for what destroys your vehicle and send you back a third of the track vs what shows you down and knocks you over a bit was too low.

That stuff's all fine fine, but the rubber banding AI can lick my drat balls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That'd be interesting if one day we just got Kirby's dream collection.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Ineffiable posted:

That'd be interesting if one day we just got Kirby's dream collection.

Why would they do that when they can re-sell those games individually for twice the cost?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

.TakaM posted:

:holy:

FAST Racing NEO is easily one of my favourite WiiU games, and I will be buying it on disc just to sit on my shelf. I'm really looking forward to the DLC, if the rumoured F-Zero crossover happens I will lose my poo poo.
Some screenshots of the upcoming DLC:

:kingsley:

gently caress yes.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Best Buy is doing 15% off eShop cards with Pokemon Sun/Moon preorders: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/dotd-pokemon-offer/pcmcat748302046584.c?id=pcmcat748302046584

They also have Pokemon RBY for 20% off ($8): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-pokemon-20160727

Anyone else not able to purchase RBY? I've ordered twice, once with paypal, once with credit card, and both times they canceled the order and said they couldn't verify my info.

edit: gently caress it, amazon price matched https://www.amazon.com/Pok%C3%A9mon-Red-Version-Digital-Code/dp/B017WJY65Q/

Breadallelogram fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 28, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 28):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    3Souls - €3.60/ £3.20
    Dragon Skillst - €7.99 / £6.79
    Letter Quest Remastered - €7.99 / £7.19 until August 11, standard price €9.99 / £8.99
    Secret Files: Tunguska - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 4, standard price €9.99 / £8.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €9.99 / £8.99 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for Wii U + 3DS
    Minecraft Battle Map Season Pass - €9.99 / £7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    R-Type (TG16) - €7.99 / £7.19
    New Adventure Island (TG16) - €5.99 / £5.39
    Bonk's Adventure (TG16) - €5.99 / £5.39
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 11

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Power Disc Slam - €11.99 / £9.99
    Psycho Pigs - €7.99 / £7.19
    Crazy Construction (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €14.99 / £13.49 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for 3DS + Wii U
    Fire Emblem Fates Map Pack 2 - (6 maps, released weekly) - €7.99 / £7.19
  • Fire Emblem Fates: IV: Light's Sacrifice (Defensetaker, difficulty ***) - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Fire Emblem Fates: V: Endless Dawn (Speedtaker & Resistancetaker, difficulty ***) - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Fire Emblem Fates: End: Lost in the Waves (Point Blank, difficulty ***) - €1.99 / £1.79
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Buy 2, get 1 free until August 11!
  • Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES) - €7.99 / £7.19
  • Super Street Figher 2: The New Challengers (SNES) - €7.99 / £7.19
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES) - €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy any 2 SNES Street Fighter games on New 3DS VC, get the 3rd free! - ends August 11
    Legend of Dark Witch 2 (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 4
    Witch & Hero 2 (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until August 4
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 11

NA update (week of July 28):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    3Souls - $3.90
    Bloc - $2.99
    Dracula's Legacy - $7.99
    Vektor Wars - $7.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - $9.99 for Wii U, $19.99 for Wii U + 3DS
WII DOWNLOADS ON WII 8
    Kirby's Epic Yarn - $9.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby Mass Attack (DS) - $9.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ? (Wii U eShop) - ?

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Kirby Planet Robobot (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Gotta Protectors - $12.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - $14.99 for Wii U, $19.99 for Wii U + 3DS
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) - [i[$7.99[/i]
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS eShop) - $9.99 until July 31
    Legend of Dark Witch 2 (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until August 4
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS) - $14.99 until August 8
    SMT Devil Survivor 2 (3DS) - $24.99 until August 8
    Sadame (3DS eShop) - $24.99 until August 25

All Kirby = good Kirby.

Gotta Protectors = a sequel to the cult XBLIG brawler/defense game Protect Me Knight with a ton more poo poo and lots of chiptune music by an a-team of retro Japanese composers.

Also, NOA didn't mention it but SMILEBasic should be back on the eShop now (they took it down for a little while due to a homebrew exploit).

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 28, 2016

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

How did Sadame turn out?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not great, the closest comparison I can think of is that DS Mana game that's just a bunch of dull randomly generated levels.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Kirby's Dream Course on the go, truly a wonderful age we live in.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I had absolutely no idea that a two-year-old Wii U game (Hyrule Warriors) was getting these updates and DLC. I need to fire that thing up again.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Grey Fox posted:

I had absolutely no idea that a two-year-old Wii U game (Hyrule Warriors) was getting these updates and DLC. I need to fire that thing up again.

I'm just as shocked. Then again, I've heard some goons say that they still haven't finished even the main content of the game despite obsessively playing for over 200 hours, so I guess there is an audience out there for stuff like this!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Grey Fox posted:

They recently released an expanded version for 3DS, so these new updates are adding some of the content from the 3DS version back to the original game.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
No NA Street Fighter. :negative:

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
Goon confession time: I have never played a Kirby game in my life. Since there are like a million of of them, I have no idea where to start. I know this is often a matter of taste, but is there one considered the "best"? Like, what's the SMW or Mario 3 of the Kirby franchise?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Play the first one first. It's the shortest but still contains the majority of the mechanics that are repeated continually though every game.

Like, the first boss in every game, afaik, is the same.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Like, what's the SMW or Mario 3 of the Kirby franchise?

Probably Kirby Super Star on the SNES, or its remake Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS.

But really, you can't go wrong with any of them. Kirby is a series that is impressively solid all around. If you want to see how the series evolved, sure, play Kirby's Dream Land on the GB. It's very short and not particularly complex -- they hadn't even invented Kirby's ability to copy enemy powers yet! -- but still pretty nice if you have half an hour or so. If you don't care about the history aspect, just go with whatever you can grab for cheap, even the worst Kirby game (which I'd say is Squeak Squad) is still good.

Do note though that Kirby has a lot of spinoff games. Most of these are also good (some are even quite fantastic!), but they don't really give you an idea of what a main Kirby game is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Goon confession time: I have never played a Kirby game in my life. Since there are like a million of of them, I have no idea where to start. I know this is often a matter of taste, but is there one considered the "best"? Like, what's the SMW or Mario 3 of the Kirby franchise?

The first game in Kirby Super Star is a shortened version of the first Kirby Game. I'd recommend that one first.

I've been playing Gotta Protectors, and the bottom screen (in the castle/hub) is an instruction manual, which is the most accurate old-timey Instruction Manual I've seen in years.
It even has the llittle memo page!
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0epuDEU_g

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kirby's Adventure for the NES and Kirby Super Star for the SNES

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'd consider squeak squad to be better than epic yarn at least.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you want to see how the series evolved, sure, play Kirby's Dream Land on the GB. It's very short and not particularly complex -- they hadn't even invented Kirby's ability to copy enemy powers yet! -- but still pretty nice if you have half an hour or so.

This is the only one I've ever played. I feel like I'm missing out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Kirby's Adventure for NES is definitely on the level of Super Mario 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Forget all those and just play Kirby Mass Attack

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Kirby Super Star isn't just the best Kirby game, it's the best 8 Kirby games in one!

Super Star Ultra is also a great remake of it for the DS, and Super Star is in Kirby's Dream Collection on Wii. After Super Star, you can kind of play pretty much any one of them - they're all good. Kirby Triple Deluxe on 3DS is also great, and a super good follow up to Superstar.

SRM fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 28, 2016

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
Word, thanks goons. Looks like I'll start with Adventure, Super Star, and, if I dig those two, Triple Deluxe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Kirby's Adventure for NES is definitely on the level of Super Mario 3.

Kirby's Adventure and Little Samson are my two favorite titles on the NES.