Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is SteamWorld Dig for the 3DS? SteamWorld Dig 2 hit the Switch shop today and reviews look great, but I missed the first one and am curious if it's worth playing first.
It's supposed to be a fun, if short, Metroidvania.

There's also SteamWorld Heist on WiiU, which is a kind of turn-based strategy game as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is SteamWorld Dig for the 3DS? SteamWorld Dig 2 hit the Switch shop today and reviews look great, but I missed the first one and am curious if it's worth playing first.

Dig 2 seems to improve on Dig 1 in every conceivable way, so I suppose if you wanna enjoy 1 more play that first it's still really good!

To my knowledge there isn't exactly too much in the way of connecting story outside of light set dressing.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I got bored of Dig 1 pretty quickly. From what I recall, you sort of design your own dungeon as you dig your way down below the town.

Steamworld Heist is a lot more fun and is sort of a Worms style 2D turn based strategy game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

cumshitter posted:

I got bored of Dig 1 pretty quickly. From what I recall, you sort of design your own dungeon as you dig your way down below the town.

Steamworld Heist is a lot more fun and is sort of a Worms style 2D turn based strategy game.

It's way more of a Metroidvania than "design your own dungeon". It's basically a Metroidvania where you dig downwards to find new abilities and get to new areas.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's a metroidvania if the metroid map was a straight line and every now and then you had to bop back to the hub world and buy the upgrade that allows you to keep going in a straight line

i think steamworld dig is a chill game but claiming it's a metroidvania is doing it kind of a disservice that will give people other expectations.

it's a game where you dig down and look for shiny rocks. that's more or less it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

steamworld dig on 3ds is "fine". its a bit short and kind of unsurprising.

however, steamworld heist, also on 3ds, is terrific. really really good little strategy game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I skipped around a 20 min look at SW dig 2 and didn’t see much digging just a lot of hopping around and poo poo.

I’d totally be down for the game if it were more like a pocket miner.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Steamworld isn't a metroid it's a super motheroad with platforming/puzzle sections.

You dig down to find upgrades and resources to spend on other upgrades. The upgrades let you dig deeper so you can reach more resourses/upgrades etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

[quote="“Mr Phillby”" post="“476629161”"]
Steamworld isn’t a metroid it’s a super motheroad with platforming/puzzle sections.

You dig down to find upgrades and resources to spend on other upgrades. The upgrades let you dig deeper so you can reach more resourses/upgrades etc.
[/quote]

Hmm maybe I’ll have to get this then.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
PSA for anyone considering Soldam:

The Japanese version costs less than half the NA one when taking the exchange rate into account. If you're not afraid of a few moon runes, give it a thought.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Box of Bunnies posted:

The addiction begins all over again with Picross S hitting Switch next week.

I've had no Picross games left to 100% except Alt-World in Pokemon Picross I am saved!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
gently caress yes, I've put up with lovely phone picross/ tedious real life picross puzzles for too long, I cannot wait to play more picross with console buttons!

Also intrigued by the co-op mode. is there just going to be two cursors on screen? can we play the entire game like that?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mr Phillby posted:

gently caress yes, I've put up with lovely phone picross/ tedious real life picross puzzles for too long, I cannot wait to play more picross with console buttons!

Also intrigued by the co-op mode. is there just going to be two cursors on screen? can we play the entire game like that?

If it's anything like the SNES picross games, then yeah there'll be two cursors on screen. It's sort of a competition mode where you and a buddy can race to see who can correctly mark more squares? I think?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope they keep making 3DS picrosses because dpad + stylus is the ultimate control scheme

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope they keep making 3DS picrosses because dpad + stylus is the ultimate control scheme

I hope so too, but the ultimate control scheme is the button controls as implemented in the Picross E series. It's just so precise and effortless.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dpad and buttons picross players unite. I love to count using clicks of the dpad

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Evil Eagle posted:

Dpad and buttons picross players unite. I love to count using clicks of the dpad
The one time i switched back to stylus was for the timed training challenges in pokemon picross but those were like 7x7 for the big puzzles the pression of the d-pad cannot be beaten.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What could be more precise than actually touching the squares yourself

speed, power, and ultimate accuracy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Digital presses will always have more precision than your day analog hand

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ask me about how many mistakes i make in 2d picross and then ask me about how many mistakes i make in 3d picross

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

digital presses also have weaker physical feedback than buttons

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Quick word of thanks to people who directed me to some Kirby games (specifically Return to Dreamland) during the Anniversary sale. Had a wonderful time with that, definitely worth the price.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Mr Phillby posted:

The one time i switched back to stylus was for the timed training challenges in pokemon picross but those were like 7x7 for the big puzzles the pression of the d-pad cannot be beaten.

I've been thinking about trying that,.. I did beat level 10 with the d-pad after many tries (got two minutes exactly) but the last achievement for those training puzzles requires doing it in a minute loving forty seconds which seems impossible :psyduck:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
You can cheese it using the home button I think. There's a "scribble on the screen of the game" function on the home menu? Plan your moves in advance then charge in

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

techknight posted:

I've been thinking about trying that,.. I did beat level 10 with the d-pad after many tries (got two minutes exactly) but the last achievement for those training puzzles requires doing it in a minute loving forty seconds which seems impossible :psyduck:
hence the stylus. forget about crossing squares too just fill dem spaces.

Help Im Alive posted:

What could be more precise than actually touching the squares yourself

speed, power, and ultimate accuracy
I gave up on that once I hit 15x15grids. The squares are too small for me to consistently tap. Maybe you've got steadier hands than i do.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Kaubocks posted:

ask me about how many mistakes i make in 2d picross and then ask me about how many mistakes i make in 3d picross

I swear every single mistake I have ever made in 3D Picross is due to purely accidentally tapping the wrong cube or holding the wrong color button and I go "poo poo" every single time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Haven't played second gen since SoulSilver came out. Which one should I get?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unmature posted:

Haven't played second gen since SoulSilver came out. Which one should I get?

Blingin' Gold, duh :sparkles:. Silver-version-owners are terrible inferior people who came second-best and are only good for trading the exclusive Pokemon from. :colbert:

The only real difference is the handful of exclusive Pokemon, and which of the two Legendaries comes with their unique signature move. Which really doesn't matter, because once you bump it through Pokebank to a modern iteration the Move Reminder can help them get it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blingin' Gold, duh :sparkles:. Silver-version-owners are terrible inferior people who came second-best and are only good for trading the exclusive Pokemon from. :colbert:

The only real difference is the handful of exclusive Pokemon, and which of the two Legendaries comes with their unique signature move. Which really doesn't matter, because once you bump it through Pokebank to a modern iteration the Move Reminder can help them get it.

Thanks! Silver has Meowth, so that's probably the one I'll go for. Never played a Gold version, though.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thimbleweed Park is pretty cool so far, it's been a while since I played a point and click adventure game and this feels like a great game to return to the genre with.
That said I have noticed a few minor technical issues and the button controls are pretty clunky. You would assume the touch screen controls are the best way to play but I found them quite frustrating, even just choosing a dialog option can be a crapshoot... This would have been great to play with the same faux wii pointer controls used in the Switch version of World of Goo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think I have a Silver cart sitting around, so I might get Gold. Although I usually get bored of Pokemon games after about an hour.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
While $8 probably isn't worth it for original Mario Bros, I will say that at the very least the Arcade version is miles better than the lovely NES one. Jumps don't feel so... stiff.

But still just emulate it instead, its a novelty and not much else unless the arcade archives have some special options/regional switches they're really not worth it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it's by Hamster, it probably has special options.

I'll get it once I finish Rabbids and metroid and let you know

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Steamworld Dig 2 was quite good. I beat it in one 9-hour sitting.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I tend to think of Mario Bros. as a really good handheld time filler because of the version included in the Super Mario Advance games. Honestly kinda wish they'd just separate that and sell that on its own, but I'm pretty tempted to grab the Arcade Archives release to fill mostly the same niche.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

.TakaM posted:

Thimbleweed Park is pretty cool so far, .... That said I have noticed a few minor technical issues and the button controls are pretty clunky. You would assume the touch screen controls are the best way to play but I found them quite frustrating, even just choosing a dialog option can be a crapshoot...
Would it better to get on a touch only platform like the iPad, or are you saying the touchscreen controls are fundamentally broken?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The touch controls are responsive and seem to work alright, it's more that a lot of the interactive objects are so small and sometimes really close together it's hard to touch the thing you intended.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sounds like a job for a stylus

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Question for you guys: my birthday rewards are in, but the only rewards I'm seriously looking at are Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam (at 28 rather than 40) and Paper Mario: Color Splash (at 42 rather than 60). Part of me thinks the best solution is to just let the reward expire unused, as $42 is still steeper than I want to pay for Color Splash, but I know I'll never get a better deal on it than that. I'm currently playing through Super Paper Mario for the first time on the Wii U's digital download version and I'm really liking it (it gets a lot of hate and I'm not sure why: it's quite a bit of fun), but I'm afraid I'll be Paper Mario'd out after this and not really be in the mood for either of the two I'm looking at. Reward expires in just a few days and I am torn with indecision between the two I mentioned and just not getting anything. Advice?

I honestly don't know enough about Paper Jam to know if I'd like it. Only Mario and Luigi game I've played is the original one, which I liked, but I know this one is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd go with Color Splash. It's severely underrated and the funniest game Nintendo has ever made imo. Paper Jam is alright but I found it a little dull in comparison. The battle gameplay is definitely better in Paper Jam though. Color Splash feels more like an adventure game.