Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Medium Cool posted:

How does the download to 3DS work? I just got it but I don't see a menu option for it.

You unlock it after a little while, I think, I forget. You just have to play all the games a couple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

What's so great about DK94?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

it's like if the original donkey kong was a full game, with lots of levels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'd like to remind people that #lolo is officially the new #yolo https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/467099616165777408

Nintendo's staff is in every way the lame uncles of the video game industry and I loving love it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

Its secretly one of Nintendo's best, most technical platformers with an assload of moves and techniques, and for the most part the levels are super small and tight bite sized puzzle things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waffleman_ posted:

Nintendo's staff is in every way the lame uncles of the video game industry and I loving love it.

I especially like this one because of all the people who didn't realise it was a joke: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/507583646371311617

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

DK 94 is an absolutely flawless puzzle platformer with tons and tons of levels. Want to know where Mario got all his acrobatic moves in Mario 64? DK 94.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Waffleman_ posted:

What does it for me is how, by contrast, Nintendo of Europe/UK seem much better at being witty. Some are still stinkers, but there's good snark too.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

This might be worth a look:

https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem

Someone was digging around Nintendo's URLs and found this URL: a work-in-progress version of their web eShop portal, and people are reporting that it's already operational in certain countries - if you drop a download code for a Wii U game into the form it'll automatically download on your console.

Oh nice - does this also mean that if your 3ds is in sleep mode elsewhere connected to the internet you could set it to automatically download a purchase for you maybe?

homeless snail posted:

Its secretly one of Nintendo's best, most technical platformers with an assload of moves and techniques, and for the most part the levels are super small and tight bite sized puzzle things.

I was intrigued by this, so I decided to buy it just now. Will post a trip report with my impressions later.

Edit: Literally downloaded in seconds. I'm putting on my cyber-helmet and DIVING IN.

Edit 2: Okay so. I played the first 4 stages that were basically a new version of the old Donkey Kong levels. Then after that, the game kept going to a map screen with more levels. What's more, the amount of poo poo you can actually DO in those levels seems to be gradually increasing.

I'm not sure what all moves Mario has just yet, but I keep discovering new stuff. You can pick up and throw enemies/items like super mario brothers 2. The 'turn around and do a jump backflip' move later seen in Mario 64 is here. You can also press down on the keypad while in the air to make mario land on his head and do a hand-stand - then walk around doing a hand-walk. There's also new tools and buttons and items that seem to be opening up as i go.

Yeah, this is a pretty fantastic game so far that feels like the gameplay really holds up - mainly because mario controls really well and the level design even in the early stages seems really good. I will be interested in seeing how this holds up as the 'level design masterclass' thing it seems to be setting out to be. Especially for whatever the challenge is in later levels.

Definitely recommended for everyone who can get it based on my impression so far.

Edit: 3 - For those who don't want to click on the previous page, "Donkey Kong '94" for game boy is what we're talking about. This game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(Game_Boy)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 14, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ubisoft are saying that their fancy multi-platform new gen Tetris game, Tetris Ultimate, will be ten bucks cheaper on the eShop then it will be at physical retail. I think this is the first console game in recent memory to actually do this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Random question, if I redeem a Club Nintendo reward code for Kirby's Dream Course, will I get deluxe credit for the full purchase price, or the $1.50 upgrade pricing since I own the game on the Wii VC?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

jivjov posted:

Random question, if I redeem a Club Nintendo reward code for Kirby's Dream Course, will I get deluxe credit for the full purchase price, or the $1.50 upgrade pricing since I own the game on the Wii VC?

You get the full price since you opted to use the reward code and not pay the 1.50 to upgrade it.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

The Kins posted:

Ubisoft are saying that their fancy multi-platform new gen Tetris game, Tetris Ultimate, will be ten bucks cheaper on the eShop then it will be at physical retail. I think this is the first console game in recent memory to actually do this?

New Super Luigi was cheaper digitally, if you count that.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I could just imagine if the eShop had Steam Sale equivalents. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Handsome Ralph posted:

You get the full price since you opted to use the reward code and not pay the 1.50 to upgrade it.

Beautiful. Deluxe Digital Promo code for me! Speaking of, anyone hoping for an eleventh hour extension of that promo is gonna be disappointed. The website now has a big disclaimer up about how it's ending soon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/10/eu-wiiu-3ds/

Shovel Knight PAL release confirmed for November, exact date TBA.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/10/eu-wiiu-3ds/

Shovel Knight PAL release confirmed for November, exact date TBA.

Still coming out before SMTIV. It really took a long time for Shovel Knight to get here -- nearly half a year? Can't remember an indie having such a hard time crossing the pond (if you don't count Nicalis shenanigans).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shovel Knight's deal is that they didn't even attempt a simultaneous NA/PAL release, they waited until the NA release was out before they even started working on the PAL version. There's a lot they could have done to bring the two dates closer together but whatever, it was their first time out, it was bound to happen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

doesnt shovel knight still have boatloads of free content waiting to be unloaded?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah... playable boss characters, gender-swap mode, local multiplayer mode for the non-handheld versions. I'd be surprised if any of it is out this year, though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MinibarMatchman posted:

doesnt shovel knight still have boatloads of free content waiting to be unloaded?

Yep, they did the smart thing when it comes to Kickstarter stretch goals and focused on the base product first and foremost and started development on the other stuff after the main game was complete.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
http://www.nintendo.com/eshop
Currently, I think it's only possible to purchase games from the site itself in NA. Seems that only first-party Nintendo titles can be bought, right now.

Which is also interesting because:

quote:

Can I give a game to someone else?
Yes. Once you complete your purchase, we'll send you an email confirmation with a download code for the game. (For pre-orders, we'll send you the download code on the day the game is released.) The download code can only be used once, but anyone can redeem it. If the game is a gift for someone else, provide them with the download code so that they can redeem the game on their system.

So now you can say, "Happy birthday!" and send someone and eShop code and they'll redeem it only to find out it's The Letter or something.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Donkey Kong '94 is the best game on the GameBoy and you guys should definitely check that out if you've never played it before. And then you should look into Mario vs Donkey Kong on the GBA, because that's basically the unofficial sequel and it is also pretty great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario vs. DK is like New DK94 or something, the gameplay is basically the same but it looks and sounds terrible.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ultigonio posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/eshop
Currently, I think it's only possible to purchase games from the site itself in NA. Seems that only first-party Nintendo titles can be bought, right now.

+

This might be worth a look:

https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem

Someone was digging around Nintendo's URLs and found this URL: a work-in-progress version of their web eShop portal, and people are reporting that it's already operational in certain countries - if you drop a download code for a Wii U game into the form it'll automatically download on your console.

woah

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

Donkey Kong '94 is the best game on the GameBoy

Whoa let's not say things we can't take back

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Whoa let's not say things we can't take back

Donkey Kong '94 is the best game on Game Boy so there's no need to worry about taking anything back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It might not be the best but it's pretty drat good, and this might be the first time I've seen it discussed on the Internet at all. I also never made the connection between this game and Mario's acrobatics in Mario 64.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's definitely up there with the best GB games, not that there's a ton of competition. Zelda, Pokemon, Wario Land?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The best Game Boy game is Wario Land 2 but DK94 is a very close second

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

absolutely anything posted:

The best Game Boy game is Wario Land 2 but DK94 is a very close second

Possibly down with this but Mega Man V is also very good, definitely my favorite classic series Mega Man.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's at least the best Super Game Boy game...

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's at least the best Super Game Boy game...

nope, its Space Invaders for best SGB game. The SGB-only mode is amazingly well done. Also best Gameboy game is Gameboy Camera; so much neat stuff hidden in that cart.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

vkeios posted:

nope, its Space Invaders for best SGB game. The SGB-only mode is amazingly well done. Also best Gameboy game is Gameboy Camera; so much neat stuff hidden in that cart.

It's impressive but it's no DK94

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

vkeios posted:

Well Space Invaders CHEATED by just putting a literal SNES game directly on the cart. CHEATED

(It's still pretty cool)

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

drat, you guys weren't kidding DK94 is really good. I'm really liking it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^The same team made a second game called Mole Mania, it's a top-down Adventures of Lolo-style game and it's pretty good, too.

Anyway, NA dudes: Korg DSN-12 is confirmed for release on 3DS next week (October 23).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 - €34.99 / £29.99
    Hyrule Warriors (free update)
WII U eSHOP
    Lone Survivor: Director's Cut - €11.99 / £9.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors: Master Quest Pack - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own DKC1, 2 or 3 (Wii U VC), get DKC: Tropical Freeze for 33% off! - runs until November 6
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49/ £1.34 until October 30
    Unepic (Wii U eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until October 30
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    Squids Odyssey (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until October 30
    Gravity Badgers (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 until October 30
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until November 3

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 - €34.99 / £29.99
    Survivor - Heroes - €34.99 / £27.79
    Winx Club: Saving Alfea - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    Spinner Mario - €1.99 / £1.79
    Spinner Bowser - €1.99 / £1.79
    Spinner Peach - €1.99 / £1.79
    Spinner Rosalina - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong Land (Game Boy) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Adventures of Lolo (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
DSiWARE
    4 Elements - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own DK Land 1, 2 or 3 (Wii U VC), get DKC Returns 3D for 33% off! - runs until November 6
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.25 until October 23
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £6.58 until October 23
    Cube Tactics (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.19 until October 30
    SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    Squids Odyssey (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £4.99 until October 30
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.99 until October 30

NA update (week of October 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Hyrule Warriors (free update)
WII U eSHOP
    Lone Survivor: Director's Cut - $8.99
    Ballpoint Universe - $3.99
    Paper Monsters Recut - $7.99
    Ping 1.5+ - $4.99
    Chests O' Booty - $1.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors: Master Quest Pack - $7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    SteamWorld Dig (Wii U eShop) - $5.99 until October 30
    Squids Odyssey (Wii U eShop) - $5.99 until October 30
    TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until October 30
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $9.99 until November 3
    Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) - $6.99 until November 5
    Shut the Box (Wii U eShop) - $0.69 until November 13

3DS eSHOP
    Legend of Dark Witch - $3.99
    Pyramids 2 - $4.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Harvest Moon 2 (GBC) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Azure Striker Gunvolt, get Mighty Gunvolt for free! (3DS eShop) - available until November 28
    Jett Rocket 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until October 23
    Cube Tactics (3DS eShop) - $2.49 until October 30
    SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until October 30
    Squids Odyssey (3DS eShop) - $5.99 until October 30
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - "on sale" from October 20-November 3
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    3D Classics Kid Icarus (3DS eShop) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Brain Age Express: Math (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Donkey Kong '94 (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until November 16
    Kersploosh! (3DS eShop) - 150 Coins, available until November 16
    Kirby's Dream Course (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Maboshi's Arcade (WiiWare) - 250 Coins, available until November 16
    Wrecking Crew (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until November 16
    Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (Wii VC) - WO0 Coins, available until November 16

Upcoming NA VC games: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Wii U, Oct. 23), Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (Wii U, Oct. 30), Gargoyle's Quest 2 (Wii U/3DS, Oct. 30), Demon's Crest (Wii U, Oct. 30).

I'm sure you Hyrule Warriors dudes know what's up with the DLC/update, but just to reiterate: Cia, Volga and Wizzro are all included with the free update. The Master Quest DLC contains an Epona "weapon" for Link, some new Legend scenarios, a new Adventure map with a bunch of new/"new" weapons and costumes, and two extra costumes for Lana and Cia. If you plan on getting all the DLC down the line, the DLC bundle is good value.

PAL dudes, note the Donkey Kong promo: owning any of the DKC games will get you a discount on Tropical Freeze, owning any of the DK Land games will get you a discount on DKCR3D. DKC2/L2 is out next week, DKC3/L3 is out the week after.

Again, PAL dudes: if you want cross-buy to work with Squids Odyssey you need to buy the 3DS version, it only works in one direction for some strange reason.

NA dudes, all the Atlus poo poo is on sale again.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bah no Aria of Sorrow this week. Figuring NA won't get the Donkey Kong games until six months from now, as that how long it usually takes when EU gets a VC game first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wait what I thought we were getting both Aria and Harmony this week? :psyduck: Oh well, I mean I wouldn't have time to play two metroidvanias at once anyway. Kinda annoyed that we're not getting the DK games though.