Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I know the Virtual Console is clearly an afterthought, but I still don't get why they can't just add a hidden advanced menu somewhere where you can swap between the EU and US releases, at least for 1st party titles.

ummmmm the wii u is a region locked console where have you been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The simple answer is that requires more effort than Nintendo want to, or are able to, put in.

I mean, Sega/M2 did something similar on their 3D Classics games on the 3DS but those games had obviously had a fair bit of work put into them.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know if the new nintendo id thing will have achievements/trophies?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

nintendo don't do this

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Something to this effect was mentioned. At least you get Nintendo points or something for playing games.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I much prefer the old way of rewarding the player for meticulously beating challenges with levels, character art and the like. Arbitrary points that don't do anything really does suck. I got 1000/1000 ....now what? Oh. Nothing. Okay :( I went into every single shop in dead rising for nothing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would love Nintendo achievements.
Pretty much all of their games already have them within each game so idk why they haven't made it a console level system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Houle posted:

I much prefer the old way of rewarding the player for meticulously beating challenges with levels, character art and the like. Arbitrary points that don't do anything really does suck. I got 1000/1000 ....now what? Oh. Nothing. Okay :( I went into every single shop in dead rising for nothing.

They can still do that within each game of course, but as a long time gamer I'm a big fan of watching my numbers go up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I really wish more devs used achievements to hint at little easter eggs or other things that are hidden in games that players wouldn't otherwise think to do. I'm cool with milestone achievements for clearing chapters or playing really well, but it's stuff like "You turned on the game!" "You started the opening cutscene!" that really annoys me.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
If I recall correctly it's because devs are forced to include it even if they don't want to or care about achievements so some just phone it in. I don't mind that actually. The only ones I do mind are ones that are locked behind a pay wall. Like play x amount of online matches or get this bit of horse armor like dlc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I really wish more devs used achievements to hint at little easter eggs or other things that are hidden in games that players wouldn't otherwise think to do. I'm cool with milestone achievements for clearing chapters or playing really well, but it's stuff like "You turned on the game!" "You started the opening cutscene!" that really annoys me.

A lot of those are there for the devs to track player interest in a game over the course of the campaign, or see how many people who bought it even bother to ever boot it up even once.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Trophies/achievements are a cool way to get more mileage out of a game I'm enjoying and now I have 75 platinum trophies please help me

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Editt

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's also cool to browse your buddy's lists and see what gamer feats they have accomplished. Which is understandably why the senran kagura guy doesn't want them

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I am only getting the character dlc and maybe the state dlc. I never use the miis and I haven't even made a custom version of my characters. Which might be part of the reason why I'm having so much trouble on the higher difficulties despite playing this series off and on for the better part of 15 years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has tipping stars ever been on sale?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished a first play through of Steamworld Heist, a lot of game for the price. Definitely recommend if you like turn based anything at all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Medabots game is officially going to be too edgy for kids: http://gematsu.com/2016/01/medabots-girls-mission-rated-cero-c-japan

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I don't know why news sites keep seeing that as Medabot when it's Medarot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Medarot's the Japanese name.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

ChaosArgate posted:

Medarot's the Japanese name.

Well, of course. :doh:

As for the game itself, I like that the rival school is named Fujiyoshi Information Processing Senior High School. (Geddit? :v:)

In other words, this is pretty high on the anime scale.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Houle posted:

dead rising is a really weird example to make this dumb old argument with seeing as it was one of the earliest games that actually gave you cool in game poo poo for getting achievements

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's proposed game-tracking system will be different to achievements/trophies in that playing games gives you points on your account that you'll be able to exchange for credit or other crap. Then again, they haven't detailed it at all so it'll probably be a piddling reward and it may be pased on play time or basic objectives rather than achievements per se.

Waltzing Along posted:

Has tipping stars ever been on sale?

I don't think so. The easiest way to get it for cheap is to split the costs with someone who wants one version but not the other.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Wasn't it just a real Mega Blaster?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Minecraft Story Mode ep1 comes out on the eShop this week; $5 for the episode, $20 for the five-episode season pass.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

New to the Nintendo Eshop. Digital have any advantage price wise at all? Can I find cheap codes on eBay?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Houle posted:

Wasn't it just a real Mega Blaster?

Different cheevos had different unlocks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

New to the Nintendo Eshop. Digital have any advantage price wise at all?

There are sales every week and a lot of third-party games regularly go on sale but most of Nintendo's own sales stay at RRP 99% of the time.

quote:

Can I find cheap codes on eBay?

Very occasionally, but only for Nintendo stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think so. The easiest way to get it for cheap is to split the costs with someone who wants one version but not the other.

Is there a difference between the two versions besides graphical quality?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there a difference between the two versions besides graphical quality?

I think the 3DS version condenses the stages a little in order to fit them on the screen but they're basically the same game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mario Kart 64 is 50Hz, presumably.

I'm glad to be wrong! https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-64/Mario-Kart-64-269558.html

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Anyone want $10 for a 3ds Tipping Stars code? Or to give me $10 for a Wii U one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I think the 3DS version condenses the stages a little in order to fit them on the screen but they're basically the same game.

That's kinda disappointing. If they were gonna have it be cross buy, I'd at least hope for some version exclusive puzzles or something, or else I'd rather just have a $10 version where I only buy 1 copy instead of 2

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

NA dudes, Minecraft Story Mode ep1 comes out on the eShop this week; $5 for the episode, $20 for the five-episode season pass.

Oddly enough that's actually... cheaper than it is on Steam! Color me shocked. Are there any big differences between the Wii U and PC versions?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oddly enough that's actually... cheaper than it is on Steam! Color me shocked. Are there any big differences between the Wii U and PC versions?

Just off-TV play and touchscreen support, as far as I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Mario Kart 7 digital code for $17.50: http://gamedealdaily.com/3ds/mario-kart-7-full-game-download/

Also, some news on the Pokemon RBY VC releases: they won't have restore points.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NA dudes, Mario Kart 7 digital code for $17.50: http://gamedealdaily.com/3ds/mario-kart-7-full-game-download/

Bullshit, that means saving and resetting when I accidentally kill a loving legendary bird is gonna take like, 30 seconds. This is unacceptable!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lol why

nintendo what happened to your standards, your seal of quality

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I suspect it's probably just Game Freak being precious.

I wonder if they fixed the Missingno stuff, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Looper posted:

lol why

nintendo what happened to your standards, your seal of quality
Presumably it's so you can't make a save state, trade a Pokemon to someone, then reload the save state to have a clone of that Pokemon.
Even though the games aren't online so who loving cares if you are cloning and cheating in these 18 year old roms.