Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

That's fine then. I don't want to wait any longer to finally play Mario Maker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like I said before I think they may be having to alter the pachinko esque minigames due to gambling laws.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Ronnie posted:

I just want to say the MegaMan legacy collection is a great treat to yourself whether an old fan or new to the serious and the price is just right.

I got it.

And then suddenly remembered after the fact that Megaman is hard. :(

I mean, I loved Shovel Knight, but classic Megaman games are a million times harder than that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Play 5 then, it's probably the easiest one of the original 6.
I wish the Legacy Collection contained more than just the NES games, I mean the PS2/Gamecube collection also had 7 and 8 and the two arcade games.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Augus posted:

I wish the Legacy Collection contained more than just the NES games, I mean the PS2/Gamecube collection also had 7 and 8 and the two arcade games.

It would be nice. The reason it doesn't is that Legacy Collection is designed and intended as an as-close-to-perfect reproduction of the original games as achievable on modern hardware along with interesting and relevant bonus content. The idea behind the project is to create an archival collection of the games on an accurate engine that can then be easily ported to future hardware. So to add 7 and 8, they would have had to repeat that process for two extra hardware sets, almost tripling the work for the sake of two Mega Man games that nobody really likes much anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the Anniversary Collection as such, but the process behind it is basically "slap the ROMs on a disc, run them in an inaccurate one-size-fits-all pre-made emulator, fun and profit". The comparison the creator made was that Legacy Collection is intended as the Criterion Collection Blu-ray version of Mega Man, whereas Anniversary Collection is more like a $10 boxset of ten cowboy films. The films might be great, but they're cheapened by the low-effort presentation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Faux Mulder posted:

It would be nice. The reason it doesn't is that Legacy Collection is designed and intended as an as-close-to-perfect reproduction of the original games as achievable on modern hardware along with interesting and relevant bonus content. The idea behind the project is to create an archival collection of the games on an accurate engine that can then be easily ported to future hardware. So to add 7 and 8, they would have had to repeat that process for two extra hardware sets, almost tripling the work for the sake of two Mega Man games that nobody really likes much anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the Anniversary Collection as such, but the process behind it is basically "slap the ROMs on a disc, run them in an inaccurate one-size-fits-all pre-made emulator, fun and profit". The comparison the creator made was that Legacy Collection is intended as the Criterion Collection Blu-ray version of Mega Man, whereas Anniversary Collection is more like a $10 boxset of ten cowboy films. The films might be great, but they're cheapened by the low-effort presentation.

That's the intent but they still don't run that well on the Legacy Collection, especially on 3DS.

Why is it so hard to emulate 25 year old NES games?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's the intent but they still don't run that well on the Legacy Collection, especially on 3DS.

Why is it so hard to emulate 25 year old NES games?

I am pretty sure the slowdown and stuff is to remain accurate to the original versions, and that is cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Emulating anything is hard if you aren't willing to fudge the details. The guys behind Legacy tried to be really accurate, and then Capcom wasn't willing to bother with patches.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Legacy Collection is far from unplayable and it's a better representation of MM1 through 6 than the anniversary collection but the constant Criterion comparisons were ill-advised and meant they received a greater level of scrutiny than if they'd said nothing at all, so maybe they should dial back the rhetoric for the Final Fight Legacy Collection or whatever else is coming next (especially if they're getting paid pennies to make it).

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am pretty sure the slowdown and stuff is to remain accurate to the original versions, and that is cool.

Nah, there are issues (mostly on 3DS) that are specific to the collection.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, there are issues (mostly on 3DS) that are specific to the collection.

lol I was playing all like, "wow they even emulated the slowdown, good show guys"

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

They didn't run that well on the original hardware. The slowdown and jankiness present in the Legacy Collection is lovingly-preserved jankiness.

The 3DS version definitely does have some extra issues, some of which could be fixed with patches, but at heart they're still more faithful than your average emulator. There are also some unfixable issues - most notably the 3DS screen size. It's big enough to do 1:1 pixel renditions of the original game display, but LCD screens don't render images in the same way CRTs did. So while the 3DS Legacy collection looks sharp as gently caress, it's scaled differently. Mega Man looks skinnier and more pixelated on a 1:1 LCD display than he did on a NES connected to a CRT. The PC and console versions are visually better, because a HD display is large enough to scale the output appropriately without introducing visible artifacts.

the constant Criterion comparisons were ill-advised and meant they received a greater level of scrutiny than if they'd said nothing at all

I agree with the latter half of this, but I don't think that the Criterion comparisons were ill-advised. I don't think they were made specifically to hype up the release of the game - they were made in order to draw attention to the issue of (and issues around) digital game preservation. The guys at Digital Eclipse really are big on that, and I don't get the sense that they're in it for the money. Frank Cifaldi's twitter is a particularly good follow if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 27, 2016

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Faux Mulder posted:

They didn't run that well on the original hardware. The slowdown and jankiness present in the Legacy Collection is lovingly-preserved jankiness.

I agree, I was really impressed with how they reproduced the random ear-grating crackling audio of the NES games in the PS4 port.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

lol I was playing all like, "wow they even emulated the slowdown, good show guys"

Well they did do that but then there are also parts where the emulation struggles to handle certain hardware tricks (line-scroll tricks that make backgrounds look like they're shimmering or "streaming in", like the Rockman 6 title screen logo), and then there Megaman 5 which is just slow for no discernible reasons (but if you switch to Rockman 5 it's fine).

They made the right calls in terms of visual reconstruction and all the legacy material/scans are nice, so I really hope people are able to convince Capcom to give it another patch, but I'm not hopeful.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Balls to Mega Man 7 and 8. Give us 9 snd 10 as a double package Capcom. That would be cheap to emulate right? Infact can you still purchase the Wiiware titles?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The slowdown against the MM2 dragon in the challenges is all wrong and I died a bunch. Thanks for reading my post!

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

Well they did do that but then there are also parts where the emulation struggles to handle certain hardware tricks (line-scroll tricks that make backgrounds look like they're shimmering or "streaming in", like the Rockman 6 title screen logo), and then there Megaman 5 which is just slow for no discernible reasons (but if you switch to Rockman 5 it's fine).

They made the right calls in terms of visual reconstruction and all the legacy material/scans are nice, so I really hope people are able to convince Capcom to give it another patch, but I'm not hopeful.

Unfortunately even some of the emulation issues might be unpatchable and limits of the hardware. There are totally-accurate NES/SNES PC emulators around, and they require better hardware than the 3DS has.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Faux Mulder posted:

The 3DS version definitely does have some extra issues, some of which could be fixed with patches, but at heart they're still more faithful than your average emulator. There are also some unfixable issues - most notably the 3DS screen size. It's big enough to do 1:1 pixel renditions of the original game display, but LCD screens don't render images in the same way CRTs did. So while the 3DS Legacy collection looks sharp as gently caress, it's scaled differently. Mega Man looks skinnier and more pixelated on a 1:1 LCD display than he did on a NES connected to a CRT. The PC and console versions are visually better, because a HD display is large enough to scale the output appropriately without introducing visible artifacts.

I agree with the latter half of this, but I don't think that the Criterion comparisons were ill-advised. I don't think they were made specifically to hype up the release of the game - they were made in order to draw attention to the issue of (and issues around) digital game preservation. The guys at Digital Eclipse really are big on that, and I don't get the sense that they're in it for the money. Frank Cifaldi's twitter is a particularly good follow if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I don't think people could reasonably be expected to divorce the preservation argument from the context of the release - not just Capcom promising a new MM project after years of poor brand management, but also the relaunch/rebranding of a company that already has a spotty track record when it comes to legacy re-releases; the cynical people on the internet (read: all of them) aren't going to parse such talk as a serious preservation effort, they're going to read it as spin from parties desperate to salvage their reputation, so any minor blemishes are going to play right into that preconception.

I'm not saying they weren't genuine about their aims with the project, I just think they should have saved the big-picture argument until after the project was done and/or they knew they could pull it off with no blemishes (or if you're the publisher, back up your talk with money and post-release support).

Faux Mulder posted:

Unfortunately even some of the emulation issues might be unpatchable and limits of the hardware. There are totally-accurate NES/SNES PC emulators around, and they require better hardware than the 3DS has.

I seriously think these were schedule/budget issues more than anything else and that they would be fixed (or wouldn't be present) if they had long to make/test them. I guess that's what bugs me more than anything else - a lot of rights holders pay lip service to the idea of preserving their old games but when it really comes down to it, how many of them are willing to commit the resources required to do it well?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 27, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ronnie posted:

Balls to Mega Man 7 and 8. Give us 9 snd 10 as a double package Capcom. That would be cheap to emulate right? Infact can you still purchase the Wiiware titles?

Through a Wii or the vWii of a WiiU, yes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mega Man 7 is awesome I don't know why everyone is poo poo talking it. Great levels often with multiple paths, tons of hidden poo poo and upgrades, really beautiful cartoony graphics, fantastic music, and I think they made the whole thing in like three months.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I seriously think these were schedule/budget issues more than anything else and that they would be fixed (or wouldn't be present) if they had long to make/test them. I guess that's what bugs me more than anything else - a lot of rights holders pay lip service to the idea of preserving their old games but when it really comes down to it, how many of them are willing to commit the resources required to do it well?

Frank owned up to some responsibility for this on DE's part, since they failed to account for and negotiate potential post-release support/patches in their proposal.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

greatn posted:

Mega Man 7 is awesome I don't know why everyone is poo poo talking it. Great levels often with multiple paths, tons of hidden poo poo and upgrades, really beautiful cartoony graphics, fantastic music, and I think they made the whole thing in like three months.

Mega Man takes up too much screen real estate. It just feels too zoomed.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Mega Man 7 is esentially a continuation of the Gameboy games rather than the NES games if you think about it, the sprite/screen size ratio is similar, it has the shop and we start with 4 stages rather than all 8 from the get go.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

and then there Megaman 5 which is just slow for no discernible reasons (but if you switch to Rockman 5 it's fine).

W-wait, you can switch to Rockman? I don't recall this in the PC version.

Anyway, how does the emulation stack up to the VC versions of 1-6?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You won't notice a god drat difference.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aside from visual clarity because the VC games are a lot darker and blurrier to simulate the CRT experience while MMLC is pixel perfect.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ChaosArgate posted:

Aside from visual clarity because the VC games are a lot darker and blurrier to simulate the CRT experience

why would they do this

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Noone knows why Nintendo started darkening all their VC games but it's been speculated that they do it as a catch-all to mitigate any seizure-inducing effects they might miss or forget to edit.

NES games on 3DS VC look blurrier than is necessary because they're ever-so-slightly stretched from 256x224 with no 1:1 pixel display option, for reasons known only to Nintendo.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 27, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
For those interested in MMLC, head to our retro thread! Poster TheRedEye directed the game and commented on the problems in the 3DS and PS4 versions.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Where's the best place to buy eshop cards in Canada?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hadji murad posted:

Tim Horton lol. Or maybe at a hockey game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Takoluka posted:

Mega Man takes up too much screen real estate. It just feels too zoomed.

Also I remember the level design feeling really clunky and just a bit bullshit

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

NES games on 3DS VC look blurrier than is necessary because they're ever-so-slightly stretched from 256x224 with no 1:1 pixel display option, for reasons known only to Nintendo.

At least they got SNES on 3DS right. Aside from Earthbound, which looks like it has an ever so slight and thus negligible darkening filter that I only notice because it renders without it for a frame when you load a savestate, the games I've tried (SMW, ALttP, Super Metroid, DKC2) seem to be perfect.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Anyone bought the Hyrule Warriors Legends Season Pass yet? I can't find it in the eShop for the life of me. Is it up yet?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

PoshAlligator posted:

Anyone bought the Hyrule Warriors Legends Season Pass yet? I can't find it in the eShop for the life of me. Is it up yet?

You buy it from within the game, Extras menu, not the eshop.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

PoshAlligator posted:

You have to buy it from the game itself with 3DS games.

Which means you have to play the first Legend Mode mission to enable the menu to download it from.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

You buy it from within the game, Extras menu, not the eshop.

Are you in Europe? Extras is too options for me, Receive Presents which asks me for some kind of code, and Redownload, which tells me no add-ons are available to download (which might just be referring to my purchases?).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hadji murad posted:

I always just get mine at the grocery store (Loblaws, Independent, etc) once I get enough PC Plus points... I would imagine you can also get them at Best Buy, since they're the designated Nintendo Zones available for Canada.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PoshAlligator posted:

Are you in Europe? Extras is too options for me, Receive Presents which asks me for some kind of code, and Redownload, which tells me no add-ons are available to download (which might just be referring to my purchases?).

Make sure you updated to version 1.2; that adds the Buy DLC button.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

Make sure you updated to version 1.2; that adds the Buy DLC button.

Shows me for expecting it to prompt me about an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PoshAlligator posted:

Shows me for expecting it to prompt me about an update.

3DS games will eventually; but its usually quicker to just snag the update from the eShop.