Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
That sounds like a solid buy then. Figured a digital copy would be better as it's a good one to load up for a few mins at a time rather than to marathon.

Thanks Nintendo friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm gonna be honest, as much as I love Smash 4, I don't know if I can say it's a great single player experience. It's fun, but I never really feel like playing Smash if I know it'll just be by myself.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

irlZaphod posted:

This thread? :v:

Each regional site will show you the prices in local currency, that's where I get them from. If I'm logged into my Nintendo account (whose location is set to Ireland), nintendo.co.uk will show me EUR prices. If I logout, it reverts to GBP. nintendo.com will just show me USD, but I'd guess if you had an account with the location set to Canada, it should show CDN.

Yes, that's more steps than I was hoping for. That old Steam website extension that showed all the prices in one place was very helpful for people living in the country left behind by software value. Hopefully someone knocks up something similar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm gonna be honest, as much as I love Smash 4, I don't know if I can say it's a great single player experience. It's fun, but I never really feel like playing Smash if I know it'll just be by myself.

Agreed. I'd recommend Xenoblade as well, as it's got something for you to do whether you're playing for five minutes or five hours in one session.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I bought Paper Mario Color Splash because of the sale and i am glad I did, it is fun and charming and looks gorgeous

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, its not the best Paper Mario has to offer, but its a gorgeous funny game and a step in the right direction

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't say I love it, I still find the battle system incredibly annoying, but it's certainly a step up from Sticker Star.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked it more than Super Paper Mario too. The battle system is definitely the weakest part though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Only thing that really bothers me so far is how easily I can miss one or two color spots in an area. I hate having to meticulously go back over every area to fill them in.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

bizarre deformity posted:

Only thing that really bothers me so far is how easily I can miss one or two color spots in an area. I hate having to meticulously go back over every area to fill them in.

It doesn't help some of the spots are bullshit like that one in the flower garden where you need to hammer the air to create a path to it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Enallyniv posted:

Xenoblade seems like a solid choice for a time sink RPG,

For some reason the font is tiny. It's a real fuckup. The game feels overwhelming enough with all the stuff happening during a fight, and having to strain to read the menus or descriptions during a real time fight really kills my drive to learn it :(

edit: oh wait you were probably asking about Xenoblade on the 3ds. Never mind, I was describing Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wiiu

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Yeah, I was. Thanks for the warning though!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I had good first impressions of Color Splash, but in the end, it's a lot like ARMS, immaculate presentation and personality, but not very fun

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I took advantage of the E3 sale and picked up Super Mario Galaxy and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time. I know it's not supposed to be as good as Superstar Saga, but I figured I'd pick it up anyway (I still haven't played any of Superstar Saga yet).

I was going to get Hyrule Warriors, I already have the DLC because I bought it back when the Digital Deluxe offer was running, figuring that I'd buy the game eventually. :v: Anyway, it was €35 with the discount, but I was able to get it for the same amount from Amazon so I ended up just ordering it there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Partners in Time is easily the worst of the five Mario and Luigi games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

I had good first impressions of Color Splash, but in the end, it's a lot like ARMS, immaculate presentation and personality, but not very fun

I like both but the Arms' gameplay at least has depth and gets much better as you gain skill. There's nothing to learn about Color Splash's combat.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Partners in Time is easily the worst of the five Mario and Luigi games.
Counterpoint: Dream Team Bros. exists.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KennyMan666 posted:

Counterpoint: Dream Team Bros. exists.

What? I love that game. It's as good as Bowser's Inside Story for my money. Great callbacks to the whole rest of the series, fun locations, streamlined moves for exploring the overworld, the "acheivements" system that lets you unlock game breaking items for mastering the battle mechanics, and a really funny script. The dream mechanic is great too. My only real complaint would be the pipe system unlocks far later than it should.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked Dream Team a lot too but I'd still rank it near the bottom due to the overload of tutorials and padding. It's number one to me for soundtrack though. It's so good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd put it basically squarely in the middle of the five, but a lot closer to the top two than the bottom two.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

My two main beefs with Dream Team Bros.: It became kind of a massive drag towards the end to the point where it would have been a better game if it was like 5-10 hours shorter (and I have the exact opposite complaint about Paper Jam Bros.), and except for Constellation all the Luiginary Works were super clunky and not any fun to use (really, anything that asks you to use the directionals, face buttons and stylus at the same time is just bad design). The Giant Luigi battles also weren't anywhere near as good as the Giant Bowser ones. Oh, and anything that used the gyro (except for the Star Rocket, for some reason) was terrible, but that's not in any way exclusive to that game.

Bowser's Inside Story and Superstar Saga (in probably that order) are easily the best in the series, with Paper Jam Bros. in the middle, and after that comes Partners in Time and Dream Team Bros., imo.

That said, I don't call DTB a bad game, I like all the Mario & Luigi games, but it's got the most things that bothered me and is a far cry from SS and BIS.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 19, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

KennyMan666 posted:

My two main beefs with Dream Team Bros.: It became kind of a massive drag towards the end to the point where it would have been a better game if it was like 5-10 hours shorter

I didn't even see the ending of that game. The endless tutorials really killed my desire to keep playing. It's not technically bad, it's just really boring.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, I've never understood this complaint so let's just ask now. What on earth do people mean when they say "endless tutorials"? Every few hours a new mechanic gets introduced and there's a tutorial on it and then it's over. Who cares. Dream Team has other much realer issues (like how the pacing is kinda hosed because all the dungeons are way too long) and I'll never know why people don't complain about those instead of this minor niggle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because it constantly gets in the way so you never get to get into the flow of gameplay.

It's a lot worse an issue than the dungeons are kind of long which is a rather minor complaint.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It comes off as incredibly condescending and it's incredibly tiring to get a long diatribe on how to perform a gimmick that they could've just tried letting players experiment with instead. It's tutorials all the way through up until you hit Bowser's Castle, where the game stops tutorializing new gimmicks. I really like Dream Team, but that game really needed to tone down the hand holding.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh. I guess this is just something that's way less offensive to me than most (?) other people. But even then I dislike other parts of the game as much as others do this so I guess it all balances out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They at least learned their lesson in the next game where you can straight up just say no to most of the tutorials.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lest we forget Super Mario Galaxy 2 coming with an instructional DVD on how to play the game.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lest we forget Super Mario Galaxy 2 coming with an instructional DVD on how to play the game.

That DVD had a tutorial on how to go down a goddamn pipe. :psyduck:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't played Dream Team but some games do a good job of integrating the tutorials into the gameplay, while some will kind of pull you out of it. Disgaea 5 is kind of like this where instead of throwing you into a battle and just introducing you to a mechanic, it goes through a non-interactive tutorial about it where the game actually selects the options. That can be a bit frustrating.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Runbow Pocket came out yesterday in both NA and PAL regions. It's New Nintendo 3DS exclusive. NA has a regular and a "deluxe" edition, the Deluxe includes:

• Original single player game
  • Satura's Space Adventure
  • All 4 Costume & Music packs
  • 4 Nintendo 3DS Home Menu Themes

Regular is $14.99, Deluxe is $29.99. PAL price is not showing for me on the web for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Xz-LiHJRQ

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

And More posted:

That DVD had a tutorial on how to go down a goddamn pipe. :psyduck:

The Final Fantasy 1 manual taught you how to open a chest. FACE IT SQUARELY FROM THE FRONT!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alxprit posted:

The Final Fantasy 1 manual taught you how to open a chest. FACE IT SQUARELY FROM THE FRONT!

The game uses a grid system, you can't face it any way but squarely!

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 21, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Having a game stop to tell you how to select commands in a menu, four games into a series, in a genre that is decades old, is a waste of my drat time, frankly, and a waste of their time for coding it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sure, but that's just at the start. The rest of "tutorials" are explaining new game mechanics they haven't used before, usually in a humorously written scene.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing is when a game asks you if you know <mechanic> and then proceeds to send you into a tutorial anyway no matter your answer. Do you know how to navigate the menu? "Yes." Great! Here's a refresher in case.. :tizzy:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sure, but that's just at the start. The rest of "tutorials" are explaining new game mechanics they haven't used before, usually in a humorously written scene.

They're pretty straightforward mechanics that they spend way too much time explaining tbqh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Having a game stop to tell you how to select commands in a menu, four games into a series, in a genre that is decades old, is a waste of my drat time, frankly, and a waste of their time for coding it.

Yes because the only people that play Nintendo games are adults who've been playing games for 30 years

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phantasium posted:

Every game will be someone's first game in the genre. Or maybe even first game overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

Every game will be someone's first game in the genre. Or maybe even first game overall.

That doesn't justify not giving the option to skip tutorials.