Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is Twinbee any good?
Its pretty cool for an early SHMUP. Could be a hard sell if you already have 3D Classics Xevious, though. Its pretty much a slightly more sophisticated version of that game, with power-ups, better enemy patterns, and a cuter art style. Too bad its not one of the later, more distinctive, games like Detana or Moero Twinbee. Still not bad for a free game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'd definitely recommend Aura Aura Climber. There's a surprising amount of content in there for a $2 game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kersploosh just came out last week, that's not a puzzle game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think the worst DSiWare trailer I've seen is the one for the Jagged Alliance port that's clearly just a dude pointing his camera at his DS.
Oh my god, who thought this was a good idea?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFXuew8qG8

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ZTeamIsDead posted:

I got a lot of codes from my NA DS/3DS games to giveaway.
code:
LS6-Z5DR-3M83-7P5
Enjoy goons. :)
Grabbed this one, thanks buddy :glomp:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Guild01 sale is also going down in the US from the 18th through May. Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud are $5 and Aero Porter is $3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Both the Nintendo and Shin'en sales look to run through the 9th, by the way.

So Nano Assault EX is good, yeah? I loved their GBA and DS shooters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm not particularly far in, but it feels closer to something like Dynasty Warriors than a straight up TD. Its mainly about jetting around the map putting out fires before they rage out of control. There's a tower under attack here, and enemies are almost to the town there, and oh here's a hidden temple I should break into, that kind of time management stuff. The combat seems surprisingly meaty too, there's a decent little brawler in there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah you have to fill out the surveys to get the coins. The registration survey might expire before July, but you should be good on the post-play.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Link n' Launch is incredible, everyone needs to own that. In terms of awesome IntSys puzzle games, its DSiWare's Pushmo.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Are you fuckin kidding me, I just bought Link n' Launch aaaaaaaaaa
Now I feel bad for recommending it to you :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been playing it off and on for like a year and a half now and I still can't do the last couple levels . The time limit gets absolutely brutal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Gameboy Abe games were way better than they had any right being. Hopefully they have an excuse to put those up on the VC now.

e: Not Munch, I mean Oddworld Adventures.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chronojam posted:

I was thinking about getting Metroid II but was torn because it would mean earning coins right before the yearly cut-off, and I already have platinum. So, sure :)
You don't earn the coins until you do the surveys, and at this point your registration survey won't expire until July. Go crazy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rirse posted:

And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.
They're probably waiting for the relay update because these games are practically unplayable in the US. I dunno why you're being so hostile to Reggie :confused:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I have $8 in my account and need 5 coins to reach gold for the year.
What should I buy on 3DS?
I'm not done with Pushmo and will get Crashmo later.
3D Picross is the only Picross for me.
I played all the Game Boy stuff when it was new.

I'm leaning toward Mighty Switch Force (which is better?), Ketzal's Corridors, and Crimson Shroud.

e: Aero Porter looks fun.
Aero Porter is probably the worst of the 3 Guild01 games that came out over here, but if you're someone like me who has an irrational love of weirdass puzzle games, yeah you should check it out. There isn't much in the way of content but its incredibly hectic and the combo system lends it a decent skill ceiling.

I like Crimson Shroud a lot, but there's a huge caveat that seems to have alienated a bunch of people ITT. You really need to come to it with a healthy appreciation of early D&D, those old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, and JRPGs. Its pretty much just a visual novel that occasionally stops to make you roll dice. The writing is entertaining if maybe a little cliched, and there's some really interesting RPG stuff going on in the way you develop your characters.

Check out Sakura Samurai, too, if you haven't played it. Its essentially feudal Japanese Punch-Out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Annath posted:

I still own, and occasionally play, my Neo Geo Pocket Color. SNK vs Capcom Cardfighters Clash FTW.
Match of the Millennium is probably the best portable fighting game ever made, even including SSF43D and Blazblue. And yeah, Cardfighters, Biomotor Unitron, 2 incredible Metal Slugs. Goddamn the NGPC was an amazing system :allears:

Just dump the whole library onto the VC already.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Coins do expire eventually, but its something like 2 years after you earn them. They give you a heads up on your account status page.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aura Aura Climber is fantastic. It is sort of an endless climber, built around a grappling hook mechanic that I found really satisfying. The world is huge and labyrinthine too, and the game really encourages you to explore it to find all the shortcuts, powerups, and unlock all the achievements. Its worth actual money, and it sure as hell is worth Club Nintendo fun money.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dehry posted:

What's interesting about the Oracle games is that Nintendo disabled a book that instructed on how to use the link cable to transfer rings, but didn't bother to open the GBA shop. I got the advance rings by creating a new game+ code with them.
That's the crazy thing, because it would take literally one line of code to change the value of the register that says the ROM is running on a GBA, and yet they constantly do way more intensive ROM patches all the time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Best Buy, McDonalds, AT&T, or probably I'm guessing a router in your house with a "attwifi" SSID. If we can't game this system to run a goon streetpass relay I will be horribly disappointed. I assume it just dials out to some Nintendo server with the SSID and MAC address of the Nintendo Zone you're using, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Petit Computer! My body is ready! (to quit after a few days)
Yay, better late than never, Europe :dance:

If anyone gets Petit Computer and is looking for something fun to download and/or actually manages to finish a project, please stop by our glorious thread on the subject. Petitcom is pretty cool, y'all, even if my library is a pile of half-finished ideas and broken dreams.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do they ever do surveys for DLC?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

njsykora posted:

It wasn't, what is it?
What, ROTK? Its the Japanese equivalent of Crusader Kings, amazing grand strategy game about the feudal lords of post-Han China.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

What kind of RPG is Romance of the the Kingdoms and would it be worth getting? Is it high quality like a final fantasy game, or like Tecmo RPG passable quality.
Its a grand strategy RPG where you play as a Chinese feudal lord through the fall of the Han dynasty and subsequent civil war. There's some light economic management, but most of the game is political wrangling with other lords and wooing and/or conspiring with their officers, culminating in your standard SRPG battle sequences. If you like strategy games at all deffo buy it, ROTK owns and 4 is one of the better ones.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

What can you do with just 3 uses? :psyduck:

Anyhow, how's Trine 2? I played the demo and I thought the narrated parts were a bit annoying? Is it still great in the long run?
I haven't seen the demo but there is next to no narrative in the full game after the tutorial. The story plays out pretty much exclusively in skippable loading screen VO and short little cut scenes at level transitions. And yeah its a fantastic game especially if you have people to play with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Didn't they hack online into the Wii VC release of Super? There is precedent and its kinda lovely that they'd take a step backwards.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/01/genesis-version-of-super-street-fighter-ii-available-on-wiis-virtual-console-with-online-play/

Apparently there was an online release of Puyo Puyo, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kevyn posted:

As someone who remembers the Commodore 64 game getting pulled from shelves, I can't believe Giana Sisters is actually a living franchise in 2013. That's hilarious.
People keep saying its good, I should probably give it a shot, but every time I see it on Steam my first thought is the horrible copyright infringing SMB knockoff piece of poo poo from the Commodore. Talk about poor brand identity.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

We aren't, but Target is doing a b2g1 deal week after next if you like discs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

e: Wait wrong game, nevermind.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

On Vizios its usually the "Wide" button on the remote.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The sequel's already out, haven't played it yet, but the original Rolling Western is a pretty good game. Halfway between a brawler and a tower defense.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm intrigued to know what everyone is referring to, but there's not much I can type into Google without ending up on a list... any links?
Kotaku link's the best you're gonna get: http://kotaku.com/child-predators-were-using-nintendos-swapnote-service-1459304126
Some Japanese pedo got girls to send him their pictures over Swapnote, in spite of all the parental controls and friend code business.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

Is Mario's Picross worth it if I already have Picross DS?
No. Not only is it a better game, I'm pretty sure you can download all/most of the Mario Picross puzzles in Picross DS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just got a full sales list for the NA eShop, and there's a whole bunch of stuff on there that NOA neglected to mention: Project X Zone, Hometown Story, the Nicalis games, etc. It'll take a little while to update... maybe I can just leave off the shovelware, hmm.
Just as long as you include Sweet Memories Blackjack:

quote:

Sweet Memories Blackjack is a card game that allows you to play blackjack with a number of different girls. These Japanese high school girls are both cute and sweet additions to the poker club you've created.
There's a lot of good stuff on sale, but there's also a lot of baaaaaaad stuff on sale.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Carbon Thief posted:

Oh man, I forgot about that! I love Chibi-Robo! Is the new one eShop only?
Yes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

From what I can tell the AR gimmick stuff is just a side thing that'll they add more puzzles to over time with spotpass. I think there's some legit Chibi Robo stuff in there, but Chibi Robo has done so many things across the series I'm not totally sure what "legit Chibi robo stuff" is anymore. Other than something I want to do, anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Medium Cool posted:

Is Black Flag worth owning on Wii U over PC? I'm ok with taking a graphical hit if it utilizes the gamepad well. I love sailing around in wind waker.
If you have a tablet there is a companion app for the PC version that does substantially the same thing as the Wii U gamepad. Unless you want offscreen play or something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sudoku posted:

Also, if they don't have online link play, they've lost me immediately.
You are expecting way way too much here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I know I've read somewhere by a reputable source that the 3DS does the ambassador GBA titles by effectively switching the firmware into GBA mode and re-routing cartridge access to RAM, but I can't find it at the moment.
This is the case. Its not as easy as going into "super secret GBA mode" or whatever people believe, but the games are running on bare metal with a compatibility layer that traps hardware accesses when necessary.