Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

For those who don't know, Fantasy Zone 2 DX is a reimagined version of the SMS game that M2 developed for System-16 arcade hardware in 2008.

Could someone please explain what this means for those that don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

elf help book posted:

The original Fantasy Zone was an arcade game that was ported to the Master System (and other systems). The sequel was made for just home systems and then ported to older arcade hardware. As a bonus for a PS2 release with many different Fantasy Zone games, M2 made a theoretical arcade version of the game, to see what it could have been on the better hardware of the time.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The original Fantasy Zone 2 was released for Sega Master System in 1987; unlike the original game, which started in arcades and moved to SMS, FZ2 was developed primarily for consoles and didn't really have an authentic arcade counterpart.

In 2008, Sega/M2 released a Fantasy Zone compilation for PS2 and as a bonus, they included a new "deluxe" version of Fantasy Zone 2 that had been reimagined for circa-1987 arcade hardware. It's not a stylistic homage like Shovel Knight or whatever, it literally runs on System-16 arcade hardware (with extra RAM, they cheated a little bit) and can be burned to a ROM, and the version included on that PS2 compilation is running under emulation.

Now, they've remade FZ2DX for 3DS, and this'll be the first official release outside Japan. This version is a port rather than an emulation, so they were able to make lots of tweaks and changes that weren't possible for the other 3D Classics releases because they're not bound by old emulator/hardware restrictions or unfamiliarity with the programming or whatever.

Thank you! I am kinda interested now.

Edit: Runbow looks pretty cool too.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 14, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rexroom posted:

Depends. The DSN-12 is an analog synthesizer with all the fancy knobs and buttons to tweak. M01D is a workstation. They're both music tools where you have to learn the trade yourself, but if I had to pick, the M01D would probably be the easiest of the two for beginners.

I'm basically a beginner and just picked up the DSN-12, partially on the basis of the "the worlds first 3d oscilloscope." Interface is a little confusing, but I've just been poking around without consulting the manual. Having fun loading up the demos and making sounds. The M01D looks cool too, with all the pros and cons of being a recreation of the "vintage" Korg M1.

Edit: Oscilloscope, ha, yes!

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 24, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
SSFIV 3D has been on my wishlist for years, $8 is an instabuy.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Katana Gomai posted:

it really isn't

it ~was~

looks good, feels good

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

The description when you click on the Moon Chronicles picture shows a few episodes. I only have episode one so I thought that maybe I'd be able to redeem the key to get the rest of the episodes. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work. :(

It says in the description that you have to get eps 2-4 as dlc, but they really should make it more obvious.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
When is the NA RE:R sale supposed to start? It's $19.99 for me.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

NA eShop usually updates at noon Eastern.

:doh: Feel like I should have known that, thanks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

The 3DS Luigis Mansion was really good

The multiplayer is a lot of fun too and it's got the best download play; once you get it on your buddy's 3DS he/she can back out of the local group and you can get into an online game together.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Thats sick. The fact that more games dont offer local online multiplayer with multiple players is a crying shame.

Freal. I'm so disappointed you can't do the same with Triforce Heroes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I picked up Boxboy and it's pretty ok but I'm disappointed there's no 3D effect with an art style this simple.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

High-contrast art styles like Boxboys don't play nice with stereo 3D.

I was thinking of VVVVVV as a similarly minimal game that has nice 3D but I just loaded it up again to compare and next to BB I suppose it's exploding with color and detail.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's also a GBA to TV adapter you can find on eBay for about the same price if not cheaper than the Player.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm the only goon who played a lot of Minecraft on PC and never got around to touching Terraria until now? As such, I have no basis for comparison, but I am glad I got it on 3DS. The use of the touchscreen doesn't seem like it could be better. Controls are well thought out and on a nu3DS, I think you could play it either entirely with buttons, entirely circle pad + stylus, or mix and match. I'm still very early in, maybe two hours, but no noticeable performance issues thus far. I'm really enjoying the experience.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Looper posted:

Does it have multiplayer? I got really into terraria a couple of years ago playing with my roommates

Local only, everybody needs their own copy. I'm probably going to gift it to a friend or two who I know played it on PC because it does seem like it would be a ton of fun with buddies. So glad it's not a nu3DS exclusive (especially cool since one of the top 3-5 search results for "terraria 3ds" still seems to be an interview saying it could never happen on the og 3DS hardware).

e: Posting the terraria forums faq

Terraria Forums posted:

Terraria 3DS launch FAQ

What content is included?
Terraria 3DS includes all the content from 1.2 with the exception of Dyes which are excluded on technical grounds*. To make up for that, we’ve added Minecarts, Fishing and a few 1.3 UI options like the ability to quick stack to a chest. The 3DS version also features a completely overhauled interface, making full use of the two screens. You can cycle the bottom screen between an intuitive touch to build interface; a world map; or as a quick-select inventory bar. It’s the most intuitive Terraria has ever been on console, and we’ve included a few surprises for the Nintendo fanbase.

Will there be variable world sizes?
At launch, there is a single world size of 1750x900. You can save up to three Worlds and three Characters per console. This is as large as the original 3DS can handle. We are investigating the possibility of introducing larger worlds as a New 3DS-exclusive feature in future, but for launch we felt it was important to start everyone off on a level playing field.

Any other technical stuff I should be aware of?
This game plays in 2D ONLY. This is for a couple of reasons: the way the graphics layers work on 3DS was not conducive to a really exciting 3D effect; and the technical overheard required to run the game in 3D would have meant compromises in terms of world size and other gameplay-damaging areas. The game runs on ALL models of 3DS (original, XL and New) and also 2DS. The framerate on original 3DS is 30fps, whereas the New gets a boost to 60FPS.

Any other New 3DS benefits?
For launch, we wanted a single version that could be enjoyed by all players. There are different control possibilities for New, but nothing that will unbalance a multiplayer game with people on an Original or 2DS.

How does multiplayer work?
Multiplayer is 1-4 players via Local Play. Each player needs to have their own copy of the game.

Will there be a demo on the eShop?
There are no plans currently to offer a demo. I encourage people to seek out the opinions of their peers – there are a handful of people on the Forum playing this already.

Will the 3DS version be updated post launch?
We are planning to support both Nintendo versions post-launch, as we have done with the console versions. Update 1 is already specced out and scheduled, and we’ll be listening for community feedback from the moment the game goes live.

Will there be cross play between the Wii U and 3DS versions?
This is not possible owing to the smaller world size on 3DS.

When will the physical/retail version launch? Wii U?
Both of these are still planned for an Early 2016 launch.

How much free space do I need to install this game?
The game itself is around 80MB, which @Spectra tells me is 640 blocks. The save game and any subsequent content updates will be saved to the SD card.

I have a technical issue or feedback – where can I provide this?
You can always leave a post on TCF, and/or we would encourage you to utilize our new Customer Service Portal: http://support.505games.com/support/home

We will be gathering any additional bugs from our ongoing play/testing as well as your experience and rolling fixes into that first Update.

*We use pixel shaders to implement dyes on the other platforms, but 3DS does not have this capability.

Manky fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 12, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Fast Racing Neo is pretty cool.

Yeah it is, and getting some updates I'll appreciate, according to the Wii U thread.

Rexroom posted:

Fast Racing Neo is getting an update in January that includes a mini map during races, "online tags" and some other stuff. Also, the game will be released in Japan next week.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fritzler posted:

Should I buy shovel knight on wii u or 3ds? Anyone have strong opinions?

If you play with 3D on, I think definitely on 3DS. It looks and sounds absolutely great and i overall prefer 3DS hardware to anything else for 2D games. Otherwise the Wii U version is going to be the only one that gets a coop mode, if that's important to you. I believe both use the second screen to quick switch items.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

NOA put some more games on sale but didn't list them because they're bad: http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

Race The Sun (Wii U eShop)
Sin & Punishment (Wii U VC)

Starfox 3D (3DS)
Gunman Clive 2 (3DS eShop)

I assume you mean because NOA is bad at marketing, these above titles are excellent to my personal knowledge/opinion

In particular, everybody should have Race the Sun.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

PS4 uses the same storage whether or not you buy physical or digital. When you put the disc in it installs everything to your hard drive anyway.

That's kinda terrible, is that really mandatory? Then do you have to put the disk in to launch it anyway?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Just a heads up, Mega Man Legacy Collection is only $14.99 on the eShop. Seems like MSRP for the physical version is $30 ($50 for collector's edition.)

Huh, that's interesting - suddenly I understand why they throw a bunch of stuff in with the physical version (4 stickers, 2 theme download codes, and download codes for music from the games [3 tracks per game]).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
For those interested in MMLC, head to our retro thread! Poster TheRedEye directed the game and commented on the problems in the 3DS and PS4 versions.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

whats the general opinion on super mario 3D land on 3DS? i loved 3D world a lot

Get it!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

There's a demo of Pocket Card Jockey up. This game is gonna rule. Why you should agree: it's the horse from Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan in his own game where you play a bastardized version of Solitaire to hype him up and win races and LEVEL UP. In the demo, you gently caress up the giddy ups and piss your horse off. You get bucked off, run over by half a dozen other horses, and die.

I can't wait for this game.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Already had some stuff in the Humble Bundle, here are some keys! Gonna make it a tiny bit of work. In each key, n stands for the first letter in the second word of the name of the site where these keys were acquired. (See the first sentence.)

Freedom Planet - Wii U
n0L7KN5R4nCJXQ82 claimed by IRC!

Retro City Rampage: DX - Nintendo 3DS
n0L8KK991MLTJW2Q

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Nintendo 3DS
n0L85PY43RLTGTWR probably taken

To make things a little easier, if you have it set up (I think it's actually an on-console setting?) you can go to the eShop redeem site and paste the codes in there.

e: US eshop! Forgot to mention.

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Any time I think I might give ST another chance... The thought of this stops me

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm buying Rainbow Curse and it's giving me an extra 10% off because I linked my NNID to My Nintendo, it doesn't say what all titles that applies to but I thought I'd mention it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
3DS Terraria is a very decent port in my opinion, although it was my first foray into it before getting it on Steam

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Simultaneous VC releases would only invite more complaints about the lack of crossbuy. And yeah, I wish there was crossbuy too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Badge arcade doesn't work for me anymore, it claims my memory is full even though I got a poo poo ton of space.

This happened to me and if I remember right a kind goon set me straight with the advice to delete Badge Arcade's "Extra" data. It didn't mess with any of the badges I already had obtained or placed, just have to go through the tutorial screens again.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Why do you not own Luigi's Mansion? It was a good title back when there were like 5 games.

Still a good title imo. I'll never pass up a chance to praise its multiplayer either.

e: vvv haha, I do like that.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 3, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

Does anyone know the exact contents of the soundtrack download you get with the physical version of Mega Man Legacy Collection? Like is it a slapdash MP3 sampler, or some expansive FLAC chronicle of each game... I'm assuming it's closer to the former but I'd like to be sure of what I'm missing out on before I go for the digital version of the game.

They give you a limited number of codes to create your own mp3 sampler, iirc.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing it's 49.99 plus tax and poster doesn't have a debit/credit card.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

codenameFANGIO posted:

No Kirby game will take you more than five hours to beat and they're all pretty entertaining, I think you will enjoy yourself.

Super not true, Robobot took about 8 hours and I'm an Expert

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Robobot is the most fun Kirb imo. Playing through Triple Deluxe at the moment and it's good but Robobot is finely distilled joy

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

Axiom Verge | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £14.99 / €17.99 (eShop Only)

I don't think AV is eShop only, it has two different physical editions you can get from retailers

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As the AU release date for the Multiverse Edition is currently December 31st, I'd say it's digital now with a physical release TBD.

Ouch! Fair enough

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Polygon's got some good reviewers, so does usgamer. These days I look for good writing, find out who wrote it, and semi-follow those folks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm pretty curious about Stern Pinball Arcade. I will probably buy every pinball game that hits Switch. I know Pinball FX is coming soonish, too.

Pinball FX3 is here (well in NA) and a free download, I thought I heard SPA will be when it's available digitally as well.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

deadly_pudding posted:

oh dang, I didn't realize it was already up. I thought they were still figuring out the vertical mode. I hope we hear about Pinball Arcade, too. Pinball is perfect on Switch.

Fresh hot morning release. FX3's vertical play is indeed great and perfect on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Canned Panda posted:

Unless you take into account handheld mode while playing Son of Zeus. Talk about killer slowdown...

It plays okay in vertical mode, just get some SNES levels of slowdown in certain situations in "regular" handheld mode.

Oh drat I didn't realize, I still haven't played it outside of vertical mode. Which, by the way, also works docked.

Crosspost from the Switch thread, can anyone get single joycon vert play to work in FX3? So far my efforts have been fruitless, and in its settings there are only pages for double joycons and touchscreen controls.