Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just to be clear about the FE DLC.

CoY#1 is free and unlocks Pr. Marth (with his unique class) as a character.
#2 costs $2.50 and unlocks Roy who is not a unique class but has some strong skills.
#3 is not out yet but will include Micaiah as an unlockable character and a very valuable Skill Tome.

None of these are necessary but they're useful for grinding on higher difficulty levels and the Skill Tome can be a pretty nice boon for later DLC maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

How do the stat boosting items interact with stat caps? Are they effectively the same as getting those stats from leveling e.g. they won't exceed caps presumably?

Any equippable skill that boosts your stats will allow them to go over the stat cap, which is why this particular item is fairly valuable.

(It's a DLC question so I figure it can be answered here>)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Are you mistaking this with Super Luigi U, which is getting a standalone version alongside the download-only DLC? A VC game shouldn't be getting a physical release, especially one as niche as Earthbound.

Maybe they'll reprint the strategy guide. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just played through the Project X Zone demo once. I can see where people are coming from with regards to it getting repetitive in a bad way later on, but just playing one level felt fine and fun. There is a lot to take in in the game, and I honestly didn't understand some of the gameplay systems, but what I did understand was using the third "Solo" character in a group (e.g., Devilotte with Ryu and Ken) and/or another pair close enough on the map as a "Support" attack both helped open up the enemies' guard so they'd actually get juggled and take damage.

Now that I have the flow of battle down somewhat, I think I'll want to try it again in a little while and see if I can start understanding things like how best to apply the Skills each team has (think Seishin/map skills in Super Robot Wars) and which combo patterns work best for maximum damage and XP building.

Speaking of, one annoying thing is the presence of EXP as experience and XP sort of a mana pool that you can use on those Skills and on doing what basically amount to super attacks in battle.

Yeah, it isn't clear but EXP is Experience and XP is Cross Points. It's one of those things which really makes the interface more unclear than it should be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Are the 3DS and WiiU versions of Mighty Switch Force the exact same game and if not, which is the best one to get?

The WiiU version has better visuals and I believe extra stages

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

He means metaphorical bandwidth, which is to say that there are only so many people working in the Treehouse.

(Hire me, Nintendo! I'm desperate and soon to be jobless and speak the Nihongo. I will translate the poo poo out of an RPG.)

I'm sure they've got enough people, they probably just don't have enough budget. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, at this point I'm sort of tempted to make a thread for PXZ considering it seems to be getting more questions than I expected. My only problem is that I think I'd be too negative to it in the OP. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

If the thread is made I think the person making it should have a decent knowledge of most of the characters. I would do it but I am a lovely writer and would make a horrible op.

Plus I love the game. It's not perfect but as most of the reviews seem to be painting it it's a solid 8 game. Here's hoping it does well over here and that we get a sequel with even more improved mechanics. (As it's a major step up from NxC. That or just give Reiji and Xiaomu their own game. I would be happy with ether.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I know every single character except the loving catgirl from Yumeria. I also know all the previous games because I am the world's biggest dork. :smith:

Basically the biggest problem is that I just don't think it's a great game and any OP I wrote would reflect that, which probably isn't the best way to get people to buy the weird obscure hyper-anime game from Japantown.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I'd do if I weren't lazy, since I'm much the same way and actually have been insanely enjoying it even though the missions are starting to take hours.

I can't believe they made me chase down Stehoney goblins.

Do they put any characters from Endless Frontier 2 in? That's the only one I haven't really played (well, and Namco X Capcom, but that was more on the side of giving up after a few hours because the translation patch I found was atrocious).

No, there's a few references to EXCEED but the only playables showed up in EF1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah but at least in those games you're watching the character and not a text box.

Ace Attorney has characters onscreen literally all the time and their animations and reactions are a constant part of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minidust posted:

Wait so is the Earthbound guide like a manual with a whole lot of extra flavor? Or is it more of a full walkthrough, like a "strategy guide" that lists secrets and everything?

Both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quarter is a bad Breath of Fire game but a better game than most of the Breath of Fire games. It wasn't at all what BoF fans would have wanted or expected but the mechanics were top notch.

BOF2 is... it's a somewhat-okay SNES-era RPG. I guess it depends on your tolerance for that. I had fun with it but it isn't really exceptional in any way. Don't expect it to play like DQ. It's a pretty by-the-book JRPG.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 2, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

So if I have BoF3 on the Wii VC and haven't played it yet should I rock through that when I have some free time and not worry about BoF2, because everyone seems to be saying it's the better game. Or at least that 2 has some pretty big problems.

BoF3 was a Playstation game so there is no way you have it on Wii VC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aliens Infestation is honestly one of the crappier Wayforward games and was clearly one of their lower-effort products.

Still way better than Colonial Marines though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, "hey, if you already have the balance board, here is the new thing + game for $20 for a limited time" is a pretty nice deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

In the US retailers don't sell used balance boards(or DDR pads) for sanitary reasons. People have really bad contamination theory and germ paranoia here.

Uh, what? Are you talking about the United States? Because there's like six used balance boards at my local Gamestop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm currently slogging through AA4 so I don't need to worry about filling time! God 4 is bad.

They still didn't translate AAI2? What the hell?

AAI sold really badly, to the point they didn't think the sequel was worth bringing over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Allegedly this isn't entirely true, it's just the team that worked on the original Japanese release dissolved immediately following the release of AAI2 in Japan, complicating the possibility of an international release. It's true the series was waning in sales, though; Ace Attorney Investigations 1 only got an English release, and that was cited as due to a lack of sales of Ace Attorney 4. There's a finished fan patch for AAI in German and a half-finished (first two cases) one in French now.

Back when it first happened, a Capcom rep said that AAI sold less than Okamiden (itself not a huge seller.) Things may have changed since then but it was at least partially due to poor AAI sales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post, weird. Sorry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

What's the deal with Bravely Default USA?

Is it a thing? Or just wishful thinking?
I haven't really kept up with it so I don't even know if it turned out well.

We're getting Bravely Default: For The Sequel, which is effectively the "Final Mix/International" version of BD with a bunch of fixes and updates. That is probably the reason why it has taken so long to come out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

uPen posted:

I hate to bring up Sony again but the Vita's old-game-library is loving enormous and most of the titles (all of the titles?) that you buy on PSP, Vita or PS3/PS4 are playable on all 3(4) systems. Compare that to nintendo where you can't even transfer your purchases from one 3ds to a new one without physical access to the original 3ds.

Man, I love the Vita's old game library but this isn't really true. It isn't remotely most. No PS2 Classics play on the Vita, a bunch of PSP games don't, and as it stands none of those games are supported by the PS4. I don't even think we have official confirmation PS1 games play on the PS4 although I assume the do because it would be stupid otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I figure the 19.99 one is worth getting. What's the Mercenary?

Mercenaries is the Mercenaries minigame from RE5 with a few extra characters/missions. It's a fun game but it is literally nothing but score attack arcade play. No plot or anything like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Not sure about the online but the game is fantastic if for small bursts of play. Trying to get S ranks with all the characters is a lot of fun and it's at the $10 sweet spot.

I'm honestly tempted to drop a tenner to have a digital copy because it's kind of perfect for a digital pick-up-and-play game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Original_Z posted:

What exactly does the DLC do and is it worth it?

The first batch is basically cheat codes: easier EXP, easier money, and additional APP points.

The Equipment DLC is extra bonus equipment, often with okay stats.

The rest are challenging bonus bosses and new demons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

Has anyone actually done a comparison to show that Nintendo's emulator is much better than the various free ones out there? The process you describe is the same thing ZSNES and others use, special casing for particular games so they work right without having to actually simulate the exact physical hardware. I would expect that most major games will be pretty close because people are familiar with them and care enough to make the fixes needed to get them working right in the free emulators. It's the less popular games that I'd expect might be better from Nintendo, since in theory someone is being paid to make sure the game works right.

A lot of things emulators run do not run console-accurate. It just doesn't really matter most of the time because the differences are relatively minor and something you're unlikely to notice, especially if you're not familiar with the game as it runs on a console. Most emulators don't bother because the gains outweigh the additional power requirements for relatively minor effects.

They run. They often run in a perfectly playable way. They're not console-accurate however. It's perfectly reasonable to argue that console accuracy is not worth the time and effort but that's an entirely different argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Your enjoyment of PxZ is directly proportional to your tolerance for anime.

I have a tremendous tolerance for anime and regularly play the Super Robot Wars games so I have a tolerance for crossover shenanigans and still disliked it so YMMV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also here. It's never been an issue

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair no console developer has. The best we're looking at is Playstation Now and they haven't even confirmed that will let you carry over your old PS3 games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Quick, what's the best virtual console game that's not a platformer?

Earthbound

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I just got Bravely Default a few days ago and still haven't beaten Pokemon or started Monster Hunter, but drat if it isn't tempting to drop 50 dollars and get both EO4 and SMT4. I don't know when I would or could play them, but I so want them. I really prefer carts, though. :(

EO is a really good digital game because it benefits a lot from pick-up-and-play-when-you're-in-the-mood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So basically it's a slightly above average-priced downloadable game with an trap tax attached.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Both versions of Mega Man Battle Network 3 (GBA) have been OFLC-rated for Wii U. Why 3?

3 was the best-selling Battle Network that wasn't a complete utter shitpile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Those open if you've already bought e1 ~ 3.
It is kinda extraneous.

Also, I downloaded the FF Pictologica (for iOS and Android) developed by Jupiter.
It's this weird mix of RPG and Picross.
There are no field maps, just "quests" which consist of several battles.
To attack, you have to solve a 5x5 puzzle (random designs; no actual pictures). Screw up, and a party member can't attack that turn.
The faster you solve these puzzles, you earn points for special attacks.
Spells take several turns to charge.
The attacks are automatic, though you can choose the target.
There are four attack mode choices: Offense, Intelligent, Healing, Defense, each with different stat boosts and dumps.

Other than the weird battle system, you earn EXP and Rank Points.
To go on missions, you need to use Stamina Points that recover over time.
You earn items like extra jobs and crystals (used for what I don't know yet).
There's also alchemy, so I guess that's what items are for in part.
Jobs can be changed.
Each job icon lets you solve a 10x10 puzzle daily. These puzzles are of random designs, too.

It's free to play, but you can buy items for cash. (Haven't gotten to that level yet.)
You can also use items for getting Moglins to find you items.

It's a weird hybrid that doesn't always work.
It's compelling to play as a character-leveling exercise, I guess.

The music's the classic Uematsu stuff from the NES ~ SNES era, so there's that.

There seems to be music from other eras too, I watched a video that had Blinded By Light from FFXIII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone played that 3DS One Piece game and care to give some impressions? That sale price looks good if it's actually worth playing at all.

A friend of mine who is a big fan of the series played it said it was godawful. Boring lovely combat and none of the personality and spirit of the show. It's sitting at 41 on metacritic which seems to back that up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The game had a ton of hype and then when it released there was nothing. Radio silence. I guess I assumed it wasn't very good? v:shobon:v I'll look into it!

I'm not sure how you missed people constantly talking about how good it is. (It's real good.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am 100% in Project X Zone's target audience. I regularly import Super Robot Wars games and the NxC franchise is basically the second cousin to the SRW games. It still was a horribly unenjoyable tedious slogfest with little in the way of fun character interaction to carry it through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Watch me. Atlus might have Megaten but they're not the only game in town for games like that and besides L5's horrendous blunder with Inazuma Eleven they do make decent time of about one to six months if even that.

Honestly if this is how every non NIS/Koei released Atlus game is going to be released (and it really seems like that between this and P4A) then they can forget it and save me the trouble of caring.

You did this exact same thing with Inazuma Eleven and Level 5 when they did the US release of I11. You are acting insanely childish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Steamworld Dig is great, but it's only 7 or 8 hours long, so definitely get something else to go along with it.

I'd say more like 4 but yes, it's a really good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What's gotten everyone so excited about Shovel Knight? I just looked it up and it's another 8-bit inspired indie platformer - is there something special about it?

It isn't an 8-bit "inspired" platformer so much as it really feels and plays like an actual well-made 8-bit platformer. It's one of the more successful attempts at capturing the Mega Man-style feel I've ever encountered.

If you like Mega Man style games at all, you'll enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

It honestly isn't really a Mega Man game in any way other than level design is somewhat similar. You don't get power-ups from defeating bosses, and the order isn't completely non-linear. But it is a very good game, with excellent music.

The level design is extremely similar and the Relics take the place of the weapon upgrades in terms of general usage. (Aside from Amulet Coin which just kinda sucks.) It doesn't have direct boss weaknesses but that is because every boss is hilariously weak to charge slash