Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I just noticed that the Donkey Kong Country games will no longer be available for purchase on the Wii Shop Channel soon. I can't find a solid reason why, but apparently this was decided just before the Wii-U launched- so it's probably due to some unfortunate legal shenanigans between Nintendo and Rare...

Or it's because they're being remade in beautiful HD and all on the same disc for Wii-Uobviously not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm looking forward to Super Metroid coming out, it's my all time favourite game and I've already played it countless times but none of my friends have. Now that some of my friends have Wii-Us they'll finally play it and hopefully want to borrow my Metroid Prime Trilogy disc after.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Does anyone else have trouble switching from left to right on the Gamepad's d-pad without hitting up or down in the process? It's making Super Metroid all but unplayable for me, because I can't pull off walljumps consistently, and I've completely forgotten how to even play without doing silly jumps and breaking sequence.
the trick is to take your thumb off the dpad when changing directions

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Finally beat the Moonlit Grotto in OOA, had no idea I could aim the seed shooter diagonally.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

My 3DS crashes if I try to access the new streetpass stuff... :/

edit-
I really shouldn't have assumed I'm some unique snowflake having problems when it comes to Nintendo. At least holding R in Puzzle Swap is faster...

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 20, 2013

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just posting to say Urban Trial Freestyle is an excellent game, and you should all download it immediately.

There aren't tons of tracks or bikes, but definitely enough for the discounted price going this week. The track creator is exclusive to the 3DS version but unfortunately I don't think there's any way to share your creations.
I say it's worth buying.

edit-
Just unlocked the challenges, they're really hard :stare:

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 28, 2013

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Really enjoying Mighty Switch Force 2, the soundtrack especially.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Wooo!
Buying Earthbound feels good man.

The only game in the series I've played was Mother3 and I've been waiting for a legit way to buy Earthbound ever since, I tried it on emulator many times but it's just not the same and I felt like I was ruining my virgin playthrough.
Can't wait to get into this, but it will probably have to wait until I finish M&L Dream Team

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

BKPR posted:

If I were to buy one of the Game Gear Sonic games, what'd be my best option?
The genesis version of Sonic is getting the 3D classic treatment soon and I'd recommend you wait for that.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

And MM3 is where the slide was introduced.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just posting to say Steam World Dig is an absolute must buy, It's very addictive and I know I'm going to pour time into it.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

I play mario kart with friends who have the digital version and never noticed a difference at all. Could be performance peculiarities based on the game I suppose.
The game loads slower off an SD card compared to the cart, could just be my SD though.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm quite looking forward to Airace Speed, the first two Airace games were some of the very best DSiware games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvceaoLt6Q
Here's a trailer for the new 3DS game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XuiFoh7nbI
I like that it's pretty much in the TRON universe now

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I bought Airace on the eshop, pretty cool little game, kinda like a flying F-Zero.
The music is pretty bland and the framerate isn't 100% consistent, but it mostly runs at a buttery 60fps with 3D on. I really really like the 3D, it feels like you get a wider view than any other game I've played and it helps a lot with identifying the obstacles ahead and enhances the sense of speed.
I've only done a few courses but I'm already happy with this purchase, it was pretty cheap and I can see myself going for time trials.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Hyper Light Drifter has reached its kickstarter WiiU stretch goal, you can now look forward to downloading this from the eshop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMosNHhyxI

You may remember Teslagrad from a recent Nintendo Direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGhe_zEt9-E
You can download a PC demo right now, shaping up to be a great metroidvania and I think I'll buy it as soon as its on the eshop.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Does anyone remember VD-DEV, the European demoscene dudes who COP: The Recruit for DS and a bunch of GBA games (V-Rally, that one 3D Asterix game, Driver?)? No? Well, they're teasing an upcoming 3DS eShop game called IronFall; they're gonna do an official reveal in a week or two, but we do know it'll be a third-person shooter that'll "push the 3DS to its limits". Let's hope it's actually fun, it seems like these demoscene games rarely are.
Yes I remember and played through all these games, I think V-Rally might've been the most fun but they were all decent games with impressive graphics.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what their new game looks like because it's guaranteed to be some of the best graphics on 3DS.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The first Jett Rocket was pretty bland but still a solid platformer and graphically very impressive for wiiware. I'm interested to see more of the sequel, Shinens sequels are always better.
F-Zero fans should keep an eye on another Shinen game in development- FAST Racing Neo, a sequel to their other wiiware graphical showcase.. Who knows, this might be the closest thing to F-Zero on WiiU we ever get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sNxZ7wcXyI
Also Child of Light continues to look amazing.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Has anyone picked up Jett Rocket? I never played the WiiWare original, the sequel looks really good from the video on the eShop, though. Plenty of variety between platforming and shooter levels.
I've been playing it too, Edoraz pretty much nailed it though. It's a very solid platformer, but it's fairly bland.
If you haven't got Super Mario 3D Land yet you shouldn't even consider Jett Rocket 2

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Does it have the spindash or no?

edit-
Yes it does.
I'm really enjoying these 3D sega classics, I was never a sega kid but I'm playing Space Harrier and Super Hang On all the time now

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 7, 2013

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

If you guys haven't tried any of the new 3D Sega classics, you should download 3D Galaxy Force II ASAP.
M2 are doing an amazing job and the Nintendo 3D classics seem pathetic by comparison

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Champeenship posted:

Jeez, I had forgotten how washed out GBA Super Mario World was. I'm not even bothered all that much by the dimness of these emulators, but those colours are just plain horrible.

There are small things, like Luigi being more Luigi-esque and getting hit as Fire Mario won't turn you straight into small Mario.
Now's as good a time as any to share a video going over the differences in all the Super Mario World versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbrCXL4lv8

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

It really bugs me how in the videos for GBA games, they show the startup screen letter-boxed with the GBC resolution.

I'm looking forward to playing Metroid Fusion again, not the best Metroid game- but still excellent, I doubt there will ever be another Metroid that tops Super. (or Prime if you're in that camp)
And Golden Sun.... HHnnnggg, I really don't need to buy it, I played through both games several times and I still have the carts and a working GBASP... But I don't think I'll be able to resist it, strong nostalgia for Golden Sun I guess.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm really enjoying F-Zero Maximum Velocity, I still love mode7 racers and this is one of the best.
It would be amazing if you could use the gamepad and the TV as two separate GBAs for multiplayer..

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think all F-Zero games are pretty great and worth getting.
Between SNES and GBA I would pick the GBA games, smoother graphics, better control, better music, more tracks, more vehicles, etc.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I pretty much ignored Child of Light because I assumed Ubisoft would be charging over $100(NZD) for it, pleasantly surprised with the actual price and I'll buy it in the next week or two.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Opinions are pretty split on Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console service, and people (like myself) who aren't satisfied with the service have done a pretty good job of saying why, but the dissenters only ever seem to say "Lay off Nintendo, jeez, nothing makes you people happy!"

So, to the people who are: Why are you satisfied with the Virtual Console as it stands today? What has Nintendo done specifically to garner your support? I'm genuinely curious, because when I look at the VC all I see are problems. I'd like to understand your frame of mind.
No one should be fully satisfied with Nintendo's current Virtual Console effort, but it has improved since the Wii VC, you get more options and features (even more with GBA games)
My favourite thing is that they make trailers for each VC game, they put some actual effort into showing the whole game and not just the first minute of gameplay.

One thing I can't ignore is that it would have been amazing if the gamepad and TV counted as two GBAs for multiplayer games

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Kickstarter #5676658: Heart Forth, Alicia:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184202489/heart-forth-alicia

Coming to a bunch of platforms including Wii U, edging towards 3DS, less than 24 hours to go.
I was gonna post about this, it looks like my ideal kind of game and I'm psyched it's coming to WiiU!

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Not really, there are much better 2D platformers on WiiU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

You guys got me to check if the Australian club Nintendo has anything good in the star catalog yet..
I'm proud to announce I will be receiving a Yoshi egg backpack in 4-6 weeks.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

nah, they had the dimensions, standard size backpack

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know if you can go back and add languages later.
It should be pretty simple if the game doesn't have voice acting, and as greatn mentioned Nintendo doesn't charge developers a fee to patch their games.
Nintendo is definitely getting better at internet services, of course they still have a long way to go. But they're giving developers, even indie developers a ton of freedom- like letting them name the price, able to put their stuff on sale whenever they want, there's even that one game that has cross-buy between WiiU and 3DS

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The only thing you can point out and call bad are the 30fps assist trophies/etc and it's barely noticeable. Smash Bros looks amazing on the 3DS, the framerate really seals it as one of the best looking 3DS games, I wouldn't listen to anyone disappointed by the graphics.

Has anyone made some progress into Teslagrad? I see it has some presentation problems but it really seems like my kinda game. I'm interested in hearing about the gameplay, I played the PC demo a while ago and it felt a bit loose and floaty- it looks like they tightened it up a bit since then but I can't really tell from videos

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Well Teslagrad is a pretty short game, I didn't collect all the things so I guess that's all that's left for me to do.
It's a decent game but the price is a bit much considering the length

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

from what I've heard it's not that gratuitous with the boobs, there are a lot of dialog portraits and they all use the 3D to emphasize different gestures and poses- like the mayors gut or when they point a finger etc
I wasn't super psyched for the game but I was probably going to get it just for the pixel art alone, it's great to see it getting such great reviews... Now I just have to wait for it to come out in AUS/NZ

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I recommend everyone play The Swapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2q0Tx9G8Ro
Very cool game, great puzzles and atmosphere

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

burger time posted:

Is metroid II worth getting?
Only if you're a serious Metroid fan, otherwise I'd wait for the fan remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV3ibzQpCfU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

People have been saying "wait for the remake" for years now, gently caress that noise.
Half of playing Metroid games is waiting for them to come out

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The 3DS can't handle SNES/GBA properly. Keyword being "properly" since it can do so to some extent and people love to bring that up and go on a huge derail why the 3DS doesn't have SNES/GBA VC titles, etc, etc. The Nu3DS model may change this, but it's too soon to tell.
Nintendo should just forget about SNES and GBA VC on 3DS and just get M2 to work their magic and make 3D enhanced ports of select games

All Frogs posted:

Wario Land Shake It was pretty fun. Haven't played too much of 4 yet to make a solid comparison myself but 4 does remind me of it. I'd recommend Shake It regardless though.
I think I liked Shake It more than NSMBW, WL4 is great too and the graphical filter actually kinda works with the art style. I know everyone was talking about how great WL4 is a few pages back, so if there's anyone who still doesn't have it on their WiiU I don't even know what to say

Out of all those indies I can say I'm definitely on board for Xeodrifter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBgdGZqRW3o

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I want to help you Konami, let me help you!

Free cat theme is alright, peach and mario look weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The first Gunman Clive was a great little game, the sequel looks cool too and at that price it's a no brainer.. I hope duck mode makes a return

I still have Trilogy on disc, but this re-release has kinda put me in the mood to play all three again