Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I didn't see this mentioned previously.

There's currently an offer on the EU e-shop where if you register 3 games with Club Nintendo you get to download a 4th for free. The eligible games are:

Luigi's Mansion 2
Monster Hunter 3
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of fate
Fire Emblem awakening
Lego City Undercover
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: gates to infinity
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (when it's released)

It's listed under the 'So many games! promotion' and ends 30/6/2013.

I was planning on picking up Luigi's mansion and DKCR3D next month, but now I'm tempted to get Fire Emblem too so I can get Animal Crossing for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

RBA Starblade posted:

This was years ago but from what I remember the kangaroo's position would not reset. I also tried restarting the game but I would end up on one side of the screen and the kangaroo remained on the other, across a pit.
Did you try leaving the area? Or returning to the screen where you first meet the Kangaroo?

The oracle games had their problems, but I don't think you could make the game completely un-winnable by simply resetting during an animal buddy section.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Unlike Goron Dancing, I can't do Subrosian dancing with my eyes closed.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
To be fair the title does directly refer to Pit.

He is the Kid Icarus.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

njsykora posted:

Nonomatic is good but a lot of the puzzles are really freaking easy and way too many of them are just symmetrical.

Nemo Nemo Picross is the best I've found on android. The 'Big mode' is where all the 20x and 25x grids are hiding.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I would enjoy Wario lands 2 and 3 much more if the designers had implemented a health system to punish mistakes rather than wasting the players time EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Got hit once by the boss? Climb back up and start the fight over.

Whoops you scratched a zombie. Climb back up and try again.

Whoops you touched a flame. Uncontrollably run around for like a minute.

Also spoiler the big music note coins in WL3 are a cruel joke, as they only serve to unlock more Golf Mingame.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Picross-E games would be perfect if the puzzles got as big as they did in the DS picross. Also by number 4 surely we can do with fewer 5X5 and 10X10 grids.

The Wii U gamepad was a great fit for the VC Snes picross, I don't understand why they haven't released a modern picross game for the system.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's nowhere near unplayable on the Vita. Also every version of rebirth is developed by Nicalis and they all run a milllion times better than the original Issac ever did.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Well Elliot Quest was fun until the game glitched out and warped me into a locked graveyard from which there is no escape.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

JustJeff88 posted:

I live in North America, but I just had cream tea on St. George's Day (Thursday, 23 April) with an English colleague that was hosted by a British woman - I broke out my St. George's Cross and my old England football kit and all. I just love the fact that SGD is not a bank holiday, but the first Monday in May arbitrarily is. Not slagging off holidays, it's just odd.

Apologies to non-British aficionados of this thread for the brief derail
Just fyi, The early May bank holiday is tied to May Day, an ancient spring festival with pagan origins. It's widely celebrated with a bunch of cool traditional stuff like May Poles and Morris dances.

St. George on the other hand was some Turkish dude who's arbitrarily become our patron saint.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Saoshyant posted:

Did they ever release Rayman 2 on the eShop? I hear that port is fine at least, but I haven't seen any retail copy in the wild in years.
It did inedded, but under the Title 'Rayman 3D'
The port plays fine with the occasional graphical bug but bear in mind the game was clearly not designed with stereoscopic 3D in mind.

The game itself has aged really poorly though, and if you're going for 100% there's a level early on that has collectables that are hidden away in a section only accessible via another level much later in the game. This is the only example of levels linking together in the whole game and it drove me insane.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Mega Picross is great, but it requires a different sort of thinking.

What tripped me up fo a while was that I didn't realize that the small numbers on rows with the big numbers can't connect with small numbers on the neighboring row. So if you fill in any of those blocks you can cross out the same blocks in the neighboring rows.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Don't forget to check the corners of the grid. The edges make it easier to narrow down the possibilities.
Eg:
code:
  10 10 5...
code:
  10 10
2[x]
2[x]
Whenever I get stuck on a big puzzle there's normally a corner I haven't looked at.

Also if you're a big picross fan in the UK, go to WH Smiths and check the puzzle magazine shelf for 'Super Hanjie' and discover that 50x60 nonograms are hard as balls.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

greatn posted:

I don't understand what you did here, as someone who has played every Picross game with no hints.

Those are check marks, not filled squares. The ten in the first column can't exist in those two squares because the 2,2,1 would break the 10 in the second row. Basically by starting from the corner you can eliminate squares based on the relationship between rows.

A real world example:

I know that this square can be crossed because:

Filling it would create a 3 in the second row.

It mainly applies against corners and edges, but it's a useful little bit of logic to bear in mind.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The original Shantae is mainly notable for having like really nice colours and animation for a GBC game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Counterpoint: SMRPG is a mad ugly game that mixes charmless, off-brand nintendo characters with awkward isometric platforming.

Play Paper Mario instead.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I played Super Mario RPG for the first time about a year ago and it's not nostalgia, that's a drat good game.
Nostalgia or bad taste, take your pick.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Dementium any good? I was vaguely interested in the DS original but also kind of eh on a handheld horror game.
I'd compare it to Eks Vs Sever on the GBA: a mediocre fps that garnered attention for being on an underpowered handheld system.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

irlZaphod posted:

Pokemon Picross won't let me do any daily training (for 24 hours or something) because it detected that the system clock changed. No poo poo, it's called Daylight Savings. :mad:

Another reason why Daylight Savings is dumb. (It would be nice if the 3DS could automatically update the clock if it's on wifi though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5q77MQzU2Q

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SilverSupernova posted:

Bomberman Tournament for the GBA.
Its single player is basically "Bomberman meets Legend of Zelda with a Pokemon mini-game" and it's perfect because of it.
Bomberman Tournament actually rips from Neutopia, so it's sort of a Zelda clone clone.

It's a little short and a little easy but seriously why didn't they make every single player bomberman in this style? It really works well.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you're into Picross I heartilly recomend hunting down a copy of 'Picross' for the DS, it's the precursor to the E series and has a lot of puzzles including larger 20x25 ones.

Also get Picross3D while you're at it, it is great.

And once you've exhausted the modern titles you can find Mario's Picross (GB) and Mario's Super Picross (SNES) on the 3DS and WiiU Virtual Console respectively. They're a little less user friendly but still pretty good.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Nicalis' Isaac remake isn't without issues but sometimes I think people forget how jacked up the original flash version was.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
All I remember about BoF was the part where you're forced to play as a party of literally only the garbage frog-man you purposefully avoided using up until that point. The rest are fine if dated jrpgs that are completely generic outside of a few wacky mechanics.

Until Dragon Quarter. Dragon quarter is so loving good it's unreal. A lot of people are like 'BoF5 shouldn't have been a BoF game, it's too different' but what they really mean is BoF5 makes the rest of the series seem embarrassingly mediocre in comparison.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Apparently the reset button on the mini Nes functions as the home button and there's no equivalent on the controller so buying a controller extension lead means sitting too far from the thing to access the game selection menu or use savestates.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

greatn posted:

If you use a Wii classic controller you can use the home button
The fact that the functionality is there but they failed to put it onto the controller that comes with the system and will be used 99% of the time is just baffling.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly I think they should've just scrapped the combat for the most part and made it a straight adventure game using colour and Things to solve puzzles. Aside from the fights, it's a really fun game.
yeah this.

They had a really fun combat system in TTYD, and at times CS evokes it, but the card system is just so shallow and the lack of reward makes every encounter feel like a waste of time and resources.

Eveything else is top notch though. It's a real credit to nintendo that the game works as well as it does even though the core gameplay is busted as heck.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah as I said, top notch presentation, bad gameplay.

Spamming powerful badge attacks may have been an effective strategy in TTYD but it's far from the only way to play the game or even the fastest.

There will never be any more effective strategy in Colour splash than 'buy multiple current biggest versions of Jump, Hopslipper, Hammer and Fireflower with my seemingly unlimited funds, then avoid as many enemy encounters as possible.

I don't want to keep ragging on the game, I loved almost everything else about it, but just image how much better it would have been if the portion of the game you spend in battles was fun an engaging, required any strategy or at least didn't always feel like an unwanted interruption in an otherwise fun game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

greatn posted:

My crazy eShop story today: I downloaded Super Mario 64 DS and played straight through 74 stars. First time I ever ran my gamepad battery dry because my kid was enthralled and attentive the whole time.

This game is kind of crazy in how full featured it is and how much stuff in it wound up in future Mario platformers, like getting five silver stars, four playable characters, character exclusive stars. The music when you save sounds like a group of notes from the Super Mario Galaxy hub world. Everyone is "on model" up to the present day, which I guess these models were established in Sunshine.

It's kind of like playing Mario 64 for the first time. It's so similar yet so different. I wish they would remake this version in HD with a proper dual stick setup. But it feels like a weird experiment that if they ever remake 64 they'll start from the original and add content, ignoring the stuff in this version.
Yeah 64DS is a lot better than people give it credit for, although bear in mind it plays much better on the WiiU's analog stick than on the DS -pad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Spellman posted:

Excitebots was amazing. Too bad it won't support online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeExM-jOao

Or come to europe again.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

eonwe posted:

specifically are the bosses still all goddamn damage sponges

They toned it down a lot but still yes.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Bumbo looks like Issac crossed with 10000000/YMBAB and if it lives up to that It'll be a really really good phone game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I generally find the d-pad a much better choice for firing in Isaac than the stick.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

VideoGames posted:

Nintendo please put Binding of Isaac on the UK switch store.
Set up an NA account and buy a couple of $20 Eshop cards online. It takes like ten minutes top.

No region locking rules rules rules.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Steamworld isn't a metroid it's a super motheroad with platforming/puzzle sections.

You dig down to find upgrades and resources to spend on other upgrades. The upgrades let you dig deeper so you can reach more resourses/upgrades etc.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
gently caress yes, I've put up with lovely phone picross/ tedious real life picross puzzles for too long, I cannot wait to play more picross with console buttons!

Also intrigued by the co-op mode. is there just going to be two cursors on screen? can we play the entire game like that?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Evil Eagle posted:

Dpad and buttons picross players unite. I love to count using clicks of the dpad
The one time i switched back to stylus was for the timed training challenges in pokemon picross but those were like 7x7 for the big puzzles the pression of the d-pad cannot be beaten.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

techknight posted:

I've been thinking about trying that,.. I did beat level 10 with the d-pad after many tries (got two minutes exactly) but the last achievement for those training puzzles requires doing it in a minute loving forty seconds which seems impossible :psyduck:
hence the stylus. forget about crossing squares too just fill dem spaces.

Help Im Alive posted:

What could be more precise than actually touching the squares yourself

speed, power, and ultimate accuracy
I gave up on that once I hit 15x15grids. The squares are too small for me to consistently tap. Maybe you've got steadier hands than i do.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wish they'd gone the SPM route and just dropped the turn based stuff in Colour Splash. The battles are a shell of the amazing system used in TTYD and the lack of reward & its use of expendable resources makes them feel like a complete waste of time.

CS trades entirely on the quality of its enviroments and writing, which is top notch. Thats all it really has over the terminally bland Sticker Star.

A Paper Mario with CS's production values and a battle system the equal of TTYD would be phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Mega64 posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how anime is Picross?
/10