Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

jivjov posted:

I love that Nintendo just KEEPS using "shove the name of the system into the title" as the be-all end-all naming strategy.

Actually, I think they've cut down on that considerably since the GBA and DS. New SMB is the only series I can think of that still does it regularly. Like, even Mario Kart switched to normal sequel numbering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
:psyduck: Goddamn, at least $400 of fatty jerky could be eaten for sustenance

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Finally, the Pulitzer prize-winning journalism of Nintendo Power returns. I can even download a free issue and catch up on all the five-month-old Nintendo news and opinions I missed

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
[SCENE: A teenaged girl is standing in front of a mirror in a dark attic, nearly pitch-black but for the lit candles strewn about. After a long silence, she stares directly into the mirror and begins to speak.]

GIRL: You can't transfer your NNID. You can't transfer your NNID... You can't transfer your NNID!

[Quiet. Then, from the corner of her vision, a monstrous silhouette stumbles out of the darkness in the reflection.]

JIVJOV: Well, actually,

[All of the candles blow out simultaneously, as if hit by a gust of wind. Cut to the outside of a decrepit house. The opened front door is slammed shut by an unseen force as a bloodcurdling scream pierces the night.]

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

jivjov posted:

Technically anything with the "Nintendo" brand serves as advertising for further Nintendo branded items.

Well, if anyone here knows about advertisement for Nintendo, it's you.

E: Actually, just pretend I quoted that post too, it's way funnier

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Aw man, I'm gonna have to buy like seven more full amiibo sets to afford this tote bag. Where am I going to-- *jivjov looks behind him and sees a pile of amiibos he doesn't remember buying* to find the...the room...*he turns back to the computer desk, where another set has appeared on the shelf above; he reaches to them in confusion, realizing that his arms are covered in barely-legible transactions scrawled in his own handwriting* Oh god, not like this! Not like this!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
If only there was some other way to add profiles to Miitomo, like perhaps some manner of code your friends could share with you...

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I'm sarcastically referencing the fact that Nintendo already implemented friend codes, a system to add people you may not necessarily know very well to your friend list, but is reluctant to allow their users to do that after the Swapnote controversy. I have not played Miitomo, because I could instead use that time on actual video games, so I do not know firsthand whether or not it actually uses friend codes.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Augus posted:

Are there any downloadable Wii games where Gamepad/Pro Controller works?
It's kinda dumb when a good amount of them barely use motion controls in the slightest

Only the ones that already supported the classic controller on the Wii. So Xenoblade, Punch-Out, probably Kirby Returns to Dreamland?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Wow, for just two month's worth of obsessively collecting Nintendo's free fun bucks, I can get five whole pulls on their dead phone game's gacha, or even an ugly 3DS theme!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Boten Anna posted:

Sticker Star 1 sucked and I'm not even going to consider it unless they remove the "five guys -gate" joke no matter how accidental it was because gently caress that. also this is spoilered because I don't want to fight about it don't @ me no matter how good it ends up being.

Don't worry, it'll probably be just as soulless and unfun as Sticker Star, regardless of...that.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

katkillad2 posted:

Can we summon jivjov to weigh in on this?

*chanting as I ring the ceremonial bell* Nintendo's account system is cumbersome and ouuuuut-daaaaaa-teeeeed

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
In Picross 3D Round 2, can someone explain Tips and Tricks vol. 2, Skill 16? The one with a 5x5 grid and sets of circled 2s on the edges. The tip it gives to mark potential blocks doesn't seem to be helping.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
My Nintendo is, so far, objectively worse than Club Nintendo. At least CN let you get a lovely notebook or a game case sometimes.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SelenicMartian posted:

But look at all those Miitomo rewards!

Finally you can put a Kirby on your Mii! And all of your friends who are still definitely playing Miitomo will see it! And we have tons of exclusive digital rewards like Zelda Picross aaaaaaaaaaand good news Zelda Picross is now available forever!!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Is Color Splash actually fun to play or are they still doing the Sticker Star...thing? It sure looks nice, it's still kind of bland and generic but at least the HD makes it a pretty-looking generic.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Alright. Personally I don't think Sticker Star's combat is redeemable, but poo poo, I've been wrong before. How about the environments then? I know they can't pull off another Shy Guy Toy Box or Twilight Town, but is it at least a step up from SS's Grass Plain, Water World, uhh idk I think there was a ghost house???, etc.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The environments seem much more varied. Circus, train, pirate ship, restaurant, Mario 3 world, etc.

Alright, that's good. Sounds like a step in the right direction. Still a rental, though. I actually stayed up to get Sticker Star as soon as it was available, and I am not making that mistake again.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Help Im Alive posted:

Looking at twitter the biggest complaint actually seems to be that a video game costs money

To the surprise of absolutely no one, mobile gamers continue to be morons, shrieking about how paying for games is unacceptable, totally unaware of the fact that the devs of the games they do play are constantly psychologically profiling them to figure out how to make them buy more gems

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

greatn posted:

Not me though. I'm no rube! I only a spent $50 on Pokémon Go and then I stopped!

Just fifty? And you stopped? Congratulations, you are firmly in the camp of people that mobile devs don't give a poo poo about! You're a drop in the bucket, and what they want is a hose on full blast.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Why is it always Nintendo fans who are like "No, I want to pay for the privilege of playing games I've already bought!" I'm not paying $10 again for EarthBound. I don't care how many bespoke, artisanal touches went into ensuring that the emulator works.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I pretty much play just 98% Nintendo and I hope they, at least, let all 50 of us that bought a Wii U transfer our VC games for free and perhaps give us a nice discount on all the many Wii U ports the Switch will probably get.

Neither of these things will happen, though at least Nintendo isn't the only one doing one of them

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Runner 3 as in Bit.Trip Runner? Hell yeah.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Houle posted:

Alright, thanks. I'll hold off picking up the discount until it is about to expire. 54~CAD isn't a bad price.

Just buy Xenoblade 3D and play the original version in Dolphin instead. I don't even care if you've beaten it already, you're honestly better off playing it again than bothering with X.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, there's reviews up for Isaac now. It's a good port that mostly runs at 60fps

Am I wrong in being disappointed by this? My brother's PC that was built in 2010 plays Rebirth at a constant 60 unless you do something stupid like exploiting the blank card to spawn like a thousand pickups in one room.

Oh right, Nicalis. Never mind.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Why are they still putting stuff out for the Wii U, even VC? The Switch has, like, six games total. They can put Pikmin 2 on the Wii U, but they don't even have one NES or SNES game ready for their new console that's been out for three weeks?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

In Training posted:

The PS4 still doesn't have PS1 support idk companies are weird.

I mean, the PS4 also had and has strong third-party support, and going by Wikipedia, it had at least two exclusive first-party launch games (Killzone and Knack), which puts it one ahead of the Switch. I'd say the PS4 doesn't need PS1 games nearly as much as the Switch needs VC.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

zenintrude posted:

Are you not counting Zelda as exclusive, because.... that'd be silly.

Actually, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt and counting Zelda. I forgot that 1-2-Switch existed, much like everyone else will in six months.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

In Training posted:

The PS4 to date has about as many worthwhile exclusives as the switch to date (Bloodborne) so it's probably a bad comparison

I think you're selling it a little short, but okay.

E: Did they ever port Chibi-Robo to the Wii? I'd buy that on the Wii U VC, that's for sure.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 31, 2017

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

In Training posted:

Like I love my PS4 but I've thought about it recently and compared to the previous generations there's practically no reason to buy non-Nintendo consoles anymore

Well, I'll agree with you on that.

SeANMcBAY posted:

They did but only in Japan.

That sucks. The later games never captured the feeling of the first one, I'd kill for some Chibi-Robo But With A Different House And More Tools.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Check out the fan translation for Clean Sweep on DS. It's the closest to the GC one and is actually a direct sequel. A shame it never came out in English officially since it's easily the best one after the original.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know they actually finished a fan translation of that one! I'll check it out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Speaking of Dragon Quest, is anyone else not able to get bonus items in DQ8? It just quits as soon as it tries to connect to the internet. Resetting the game and the 3DS didn't help. I gotta get my lovely gimmick equipment, baby