Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not immediately relevant to most people, but Mighty Final Fight came out on the JP 3DS VC this week - it was never released for the Wii VC, so it's nice to see some fresh stuff in the pipeline. I imagine the rest of the world will get it soon enough, Capcon is (was?) relatively good about that sort of thing.

That game is awful, though. Capcom what are you doing putting out that and not Little Nemo. I'd guess licensing, but that thing's got to be public domain, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's, er, what?

I bet those DS games are going to look awesome on a big screen TV.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Nintendo of Europe is pretty awesome at giving out free stuff.

Unless you're in Scandinavia :denmark:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

GBA Wario Ware is very tempting, that was a huge timesink game for teenage me and I want to relive the magic. Or is NES Remix a better investment? Decisions, decisions.

I like NES Remix, but the original Wario Ware is a bonafide classic. Not even a choice.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is where I wish Nintendo would take a cue from Sega's 3D Classics and just stick DIP switches in there, because if you aren't playing the Japanese version of Castlevania 3, you're playing the bad version of Castlevania 3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm glad it's coming out, but I hope the 3D is really good or something, because the graphics look pretty lifeless compared to the original sprites.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

This would be good because the anamorphic widescreen on the Wii did not play nice with the low-resolution art.

I understand the old shop was an absolute mess and probably a sloppy nightmare to manage, but Nintendo could have done a much better job upgrading and integrating it with the new shop, instead of leaving it to remain a weird legacy mess.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > NINTENDO eSHOP: Nintendo could have done a much better job

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Froist posted:

Oh good, Picross e4 has more Mega Picross puzzles. Because they were really fun last time.

I seriously gave up on that poo poo because it was so lame. The Picross e games are kind of lame all-around. I wish Jupiter would get to make some actual proper Picross games with a budget again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kirios posted:

I...doubt I'm missing out on that much.

Perhaps the same could be said of not playing Arkham Origins :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Intie Creates just announced that their 3DS eShop game, Gunvolt, will be released in Japan in August, with an NA release scheduled soon after (twitter dude suggested it'd probably come in September sometime). Here's a few minutes of footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRo1gjDRWzQ

I might be crazy, but this looks so much loving better than Mighty No. 9.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is what Nintendo of Europe thinks is more important than getting the English version of Shovel Knight out on their goddamn systems.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Akuma posted:

The hold-up there is not Nintendo.

Sure it is, the game is done, but they can't put it out in Europe before they've implemented EFIGS due to Nintendo's arcane policies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They're implementing EFIGS because their backers asked/paid for it.

Oh, it's an admirable goal in itself, but not if it delays the version that's already out everywhere else. I'm sure they'd put up the English version right now if they could. This is something NoE should absolutely be pushing for.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know if you can go back and add languages later.

You can... on non-Nintendo platforms, which is the point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49

Heeey, that's pretty cool. This is a really fun obscure platformer that I never see people talking about. It's not the greatest or anything, but it's really solid and good looking like most of Konami's SNES games. It's basically Rocket Knight/Sparkster, but way cuter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Civil posted:

How is it that the PAL offerings look so much more enticing than that NA set?

Are the 3ds/WiiU doing better than europe than NA, and is that where their focus is now?

Or am I just having one of those "grass is greener" perspectives?

I don't know, as far as I'm concerned, ZLR is the only game out of that bunch that's worth getting. Unless I'm confusing my Harvest Moon games and that's actually one of the good ones?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mischalaniouse posted:

My only problem with it is how low the drop rates on the cards for the special abilities are.

This is pretty much a trend in Igarashi's games. Circle is probably the worst about it, though, since there are a lot fewer weapons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aren't all the EU VC releases the PAL version if that's an option? gently caress knows why they're still doing it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Unfortunately it's a bit short once you know pretty much where everything is. A few more stages and a few more enemies/obstacles in some of them would have been much appreciated.

But drat it's still solid and the atmosphere and mood are impeccable. GORGEOUS music and art.

Demon's Crest is one of my favourite loving games on that whole system, I like it more than any of the MMX games, even. Everything about it is just so well-executed and cool, and its one problem is that it doesn't have a save system, which is nullified by playing it on VC.

Buy Demon's Crest, holy poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mercurochrome posted:

So are they all good? Thinking about getting E4 since it's the newest one.

Late, but no, the Picross E games are all pretty bad and I say gently caress 'em. Get Picross DS and/or Picross 3D and have games that are better in every conceivable way with way the gently caress more content. Picross DS lasted me like a year.

Obviously for a flight they'll do the job of just providing basic Picross, but for the ~True Picross Experience~ do not settle for anything less than the absolute finest
:goonsay:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 28, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

vkeios posted:

imo youre not a pro picross player until you've played picross ds and picross 3d for the ds.

This.

Illust Logic is good too!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well good you can finally get the REAL version of MMX3 and not the one with the crappy CD audio :getin:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think Breath of Fire 2 is considered a good game, but as I recall it has one of the worst RPG translations ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dream Team is not the best M&L but it's also not the worst. I still like it a lot, and I never had a problem with the tutorials.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sacred Stones is worth getting just for the sprite art. It looks outstanding.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Argue posted:

Can someone verify if Mario Galaxy 2 is uprezzed as well as upscaled?

It's the same game you get if you stick the disc version in a Wii U.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Mario Galaxy 2 just felt like it was slapped together to me. None of the levels felt very cohesively designed to me like they just had a bunch of assets lying around and threw them together to make some random levels. There were also a lot of gimmicky powerups in the levels I played, and I didn't think they were very fun. As someone who really liked Galaxy 1, I just could not bring myself to like the second one no matter how hard I tried. Apparently it was made from a whole bunch of cut content from the original game, and I can definitely see it. I'm not sure why it gets such high praise from so many people. I agree that it's still good but it's not really that great.

Agreed, though not to as large an extent. I still got 100% in Galaxy 2, but it had nowhere near the impact on me that Galaxy 1 did. I think 3D World is much better than Galaxy 2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, DKC Returns will require a Wiimote and preferably a Nunchuk, too.

Hahaha, goddamn it, Nintendo.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 19, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's kind of the point, something like DKCR is basically THE use case for the classic controller, but they decided not to use it because ??? which is potentially game ruining now and forever. It's just so... Nintendo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Do not even ask posted:

I can't believe I might buy DK64 just to see if that game feels like it's slowly crumbling apart in the VC as well.

I'm actually pretty psyched about it, since I never played it back in the day, and it's been so long since I've played a collectathon platformer it's going to feel downright novel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

i can't believe people are so desperate for collectathons that they're even starting to look back fondly on loving dk64

I've never played it! I'm not sure I'll actually be able to stand the thing, but it'll be a fun reminder of what platformer game design had turned into at that time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I prefer to think of that Pac-Man as the best second-person game ever made.

Mario 64 :colbert:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

I paid my $7 Mother 3 tax and I feel dirty. I'm going to wait for some trip reports before starting it up because I heard the NES one was a real slouch.

It is. It was a really neat, different game when it came out, and it still has a good soundtrack, but otherwise it's just a really slow, grindy, boring game that I honestly don't recommend playing. Earthbound makes it look like total dogshit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Picross DS is great.

Definitely Picross DS, it's fantastic.

Illustlogic + Colourful Logic is great too, it has colour puzzles which Picross DS doesn't. You will have to import it, though, and there is some amount of Japanese text.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

They used to do it all the time, it's just been a while.

They still do it in the opposite direction, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was like three months later in the EU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Partners in Time isn't great, but the Shroobs own

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah IIRC it's viewed as the worst FE game to come out in the West. I've never played it myself, but it's one of those games that are just immediately off-putting. It looks absolutely hideous.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They could probably just rename the character or something if that's an issue. That series not doing great numbers in the West is probably a bigger issue or they'd figure it out. It feels like every time they announce a new Ace Attorney Capcom get increasingly wary about translating it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

less laughter posted:

I think that's all in your head, tbh. They localized the last three entries (Dual Destinies, Trilogy, and Vs. Layton) just fine.

Well DD followed AAI2 which they did not localize (and it was digital only, which is already not a great sign), Trilogy was already translated so why not put it out, and Vs. Layton is a good reason why I think they're not immediately jumping on the localisation train with this game, I bet that did truly pitiful numbers.

Plus, they've always been cagey with AA localisations, even dating back to the original trilogy. I remember some statement prior to the release of AA3 that was like "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy AA2, or 3 won't see a western release".

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

All the Mario RPGs are at least pretty good, even like Partners in Time, what's wrong with you idiots