Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crashmo is much, much harder than Pushmo. It makes sense as you're essentially working in an additional plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

StevenM posted:

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming from the tone of his post that he doesn't live in Germany and by extension, this is some weird bullshit restriction that's going to affect Europe in general.

EDIT:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/10/wii-us-european-late-night-eshop-restriction-due-to-german-law/

Wow that's what the reason was? So that idiotic thing somehow managed to be even stupider.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Excellent, now I can continue my quest to have all the Wario Land games on my 3DS. I think 2 is the only one I've still never played. Hope it's a bit more complex than the first one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

Wario Land 2 is the best Wario Land.

I sincerely doubt that any earlier Wario Land could ever measure up to 4, but I don't judge them too harshly since they did come first.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Playing them in order is actually pretty interesting because I can see how they're adding improvements each time.

Like in the first game, Wario's movement was really clunky and awkward to control and the throwing enemies mechanic was very bare bones. Even the powerup system was essentially just based off Mario games. In general it played very much like a Mario game with a bit more of an emphasis on exploration and secrets.

In Wario Land 2, his movement is still equally clunky but they've changed up a bunch of other things. He's now gained his signature ability to charge up throws a bit in any direction. They also got rid of the Mario style powerups in favor of various enemy based ones that can be either obstacles or necessary to find secrets, which sticks around and gets more fleshed out in later games. On the other hand, they made treasure hunting more annoying by having the treasure and painting pieces blocked by annoying minigames which feel tacked on and unnecessary. I also really dislike the way they chose to handle bosses. Since Wario doesn't have health, each boss has an attack that removes you from the boss arena and forces you to trek back through part of the level and start the fight over. This was particularly annoying on the 'final' boss, where you have to go through a fairly significant portion of the level. I finally got fed up and just started using save states. I think they should've found a better solution than a bunch of one hit moves.

I'm interested to see what more changes 3 makes when I get to play it again.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 22, 2012

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well regardless of which Wario game anyone thinks is the best, I think there's one thing we can all agree on: Master of Disguise was a horrible abomination that no one should ever play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked Wario World well enough. It wasn't super great but it wasn't bad in any way. Master of Diguise was bad for two main reasons. The drawing gimmick to swap between powers really didn't work reliably at all and the level design was really bad. The final level in particular was this labyrinthine identical looking maze that was no fun to play.

I beat Wario Land 2 last night, and for the most part I quite enjoyed it despite its flaws. But holy poo poo the final level is terrible. I liked the bizarre aesthetic but man they just put in the most frustrating ridiculous obstacles and it totally killed my enthusiasm for the game while I slogged through it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah, in Wario Land 2 you can even cause a major story branch in the very first level

This mechanic was pretty fun. Very Virtue's Last Reward in a weird sort of way. I also like how the story branches were mostly Wario finding more efficient ways to get his treasure back.

But yeah, I was talking about the level Joramun said. I did not have said superhuman patience so I was very grateful for the virtual console's savestate feature. Otherwise I'm sure I would've put the game down in disgust.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I definitely think they're the best of the 2D Zeldas.

The connectivity between the two is really cool as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've played every Zelda game. Link's Awakening is my least favorite of all of them besides the first two.

It's short and fun and has some good dungeons, but I don't think it measures up to any of the others.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So Starship Damrey: it's very short (a bit less than 3 hours) and honestly not very difficult. Still, I feel like I got my money's worth for $8. Plus there's a bit of post-game content that currently has me stumped.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Go buy DK94 from the VC right now. Best $4 you'll ever spend.

That's a Mario game, not a Donkey Kong game!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe try restarting the system or something, they're both up for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It should say when they expire. The surveys for the Zeldas haven't popped up for me yet, but the DKCR survey says that it expires September 20.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Usually around noon EDT/9 AM PDT

Also I need to restart Seasons because I accidentally got Moosh as my animal buddy and I hate that loving bear so much

A reasonable action, Dmitri or bust.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Still Fluxing posted:

Somehow I always ended up with Moosh. He was a pain to navigate with, but I couldn't stay mad at that adorable lump.

Moosh is the default in Ages (and Ricky the default in Seasons). You have to get a Strange Flute in one of two ways in each game before you meet the first animal partner in order to get one of the other two. Otherwise the first animal you meet just gives you their flute.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There are no arrows in the Oracle Games! Instead you have two different Seed launching weapons.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

pushmo or crashmo

This is the way to go! They've got plenty of bang for your buck, bite sized content (since you could just do a puzzle at a time or whatever), and they're fun. I'd suggest picking up both.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think Link's Awakening was one of the first VC games they released.

It was one of the VC/eShop's launch titles.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Donkey Kong '94 is the best thing you're missing and also maybe check out the Shantae games (one of those is a DSi game not a Virtual Console game). I can't actually vouch for the Gameboy Shantae yet since I haven't started playing it yet, but the other one is good and the GB one is supposed to be too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't suppose there's any chance that they're going to add Link to the Past to the Wii U eShop in time for the sequel releasing in November, is there? I wanted to play it again before that one comes out, but currently my only option would be to add 1000 points to my Wii shop, on top of the 400 I already have, which would then leave me with 600 left sitting there uselessly.

Man the Wii point system was so stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Nah, I would guess they'd probably release it at the same time. So you can either wait til then while keeping an eye on the Club Nintendo rewards, or buy it now and get an Art Style game or whatever with the 600 points.

Oh cool I didn't even realize there was anything for 600 points in there. Now I've finally zeroed out my Wii points to never buy anything from there again. :toot:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Once Wario Land 3 comes out I'll finally own all of the main Wario Games! :toot: (Well... except the virtual boy one I guess. :()

This is the one most people tend to cite as their favorite, right? It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to 4.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I just looked back to the conversations we had in this thread back when 2 came out in the US and it looks like people were pretty split and 3 introduces some annoying backtracking mechanics and more mandatory minigames.

I'm intrigued, at least.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I don't know what you're all talking about because Wario Land 1 is objectively the best :colbert: Really couldn't get into 2 or 3. 4 was okayish.

Wario Land 1 is just too much like a Mario game for my taste. It's got a bit of what made the later Wario games good and unique, but they really improved on the original.

Edit: Alright well a few minutes into Wario Land 3 and I just stood on a fat frog and made him cry, so this game is pretty good I think.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 29, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So far I'm definitely digging Wario Land 3. Except for the goddamn golf minigame which is mindboggling and awful.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I would enjoy Wario lands 2 and 3 much more if the designers had implemented a health system to punish mistakes rather than wasting the players time EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Got hit once by the boss? Climb back up and start the fight over.

Whoops you scratched a zombie. Climb back up and try again.

Whoops you touched a flame. Uncontrollably run around for like a minute.

Also spoiler the big music note coins in WL3 are a cruel joke, as they only serve to unlock more Golf Mingame.

Fortunately I noticed that last part in the older posts in this thread I went back to read, so combine that with the fact that you have to get all 8 in one go of a level and I'm just not even bothering.

I definitely agree about the health thing. I just end up using restore points on particularly obnoxious points because I don't feel like trekking back through the level because I got knocked down somewhere. Wario Land 4's health system worked a lot better. I also like how that game turns enemies into not only obstacles or tools for puzzle solving, but also makes them drop health upgrades and gives you ways to increase the amount of money many of them drop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"PERFECT!"

Well having finished Wario Land 3 I think it ranks along side 2 for me. They both had certain things they did really well and were generally pretty fun, but also had a few annoying quirks that made them tedious at times. In the end 4 remains my favorite.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GBC Shantae is hard in a really frustrating way in that even savestates can't help alleviate it. The areas are all ridiculously tall, it's sometimes hard to tell what you can stand on/walk through, and you can constantly fall and hit enemies and lose your meager amount of starting health really quickly. I was really disappointed and didn't make it very far at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shoopuf posted:

Don't forget to turn 3D on for the intro once you start up the demo. It's actually really well done!

Seriously, I anticipate this being the first game for which I never turn the 3D off at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it still isn't possible for English speakers to play AAI2, and they're spinoffs anyway so there probably won't be much that references them. You should still play AAI though, it could even tide you over until the new game is released!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I'm hoping to download the new pokemon game, it releases on the 12th. My question is do new releases come online at midnight on the release day? And will there be any issues downloading it, like is there lag the eshop is notorious for? Thank you. :)

The eShop usually ends up being surprisingly fast for these retail downloads on release night. HOWEVER as others have said, this is probably the single biggest release it's ever had to handle. At the very least you should probably plan to have it download over night and then if it's faster you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Healbot posted:

Also don't forget to check for the costume DLC (at least in Europe), it's free of charge.

To confierm - it's free everywhere until November 7.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Did Club Nintendo mail out the rewards for reaching Gold/Platinum yet? It feels a little odd that I haven't gotten an e-mail about it this late in the year.

It's par for the course. The rewards arrive around Christmas.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a second DLC case that they're not releasing outside of Japan because apparently it won't make sense to westerners? I'm really curious as to what was in it that they had so much trouble translating.

On that note, I've always found it odd that the games are clearly set in Japan but all the characters talk about it like the US and react bizarrely to anything Japanese turning up.

The second DLC was not a case. It was a quiz game thing about Japanese history.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And they've confirmed that the West is still getting the reward for the quiz, which is the pink sweater.

You in fact get it from completing the DLC case that was released today. I'm going through case 1 as sweater Phoenix as we speak.

E:

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

:psyduck: What? What was the context? None of this is making me want to play it less. I probably know as much about Japanese history as I do western :v:

Sorry, that's all I know about it. Someone who played the Japanese version would have to weigh in with more info.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd say it's a pretty decent $5 experience.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Really? I couldn't get into it. The game was just too obtuse and didn't give any real indication of goals or what you've supposed to be doing. I can solve some puzzles to move onto the next screen, but have no idea why or what this little bird is accomplishing or why he lights up obelisks sometimes.

I really liked edge though. There are a ton of great games on eShop I enjoyed more than Toko Tori.

The idea of the game is that you're supposed to work all this out. It takes patience and persistence but it can be pretty rewarding once things start clicking into place.

That said the other side of the coin is that it allows you to get utterly stuck. I was having fun for a while but I got to a couple puzzles that I wasn't able to figure out leading to me being unable to progress in any direction (since I'd done everything I needed to do in the other areas) and so I haven't been back to the game for ages.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

How is Virtue's Last Reward if I've not played the original and am unlikely to get a chance to? Am I going to miss out on a bunch of story stuff, or will I be able to make it through well enough?

Don't do it. Get your hands on the game or read the LP first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You'd be ok playing the new AA game first, but I'd strongly recommend getting ahold of the others. You'll appreciate it much more if you know the characters and they're all fantastic games.

Layton games have some connections but I'm more inclined to say you could just play the newer ones and go back later if you love them. The main reason is that while I could play all the AA games back to back to back forever, the Laytons might get a bit stale if you tried that.