Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

PirateNipple posted:

Has anyone checked out 3D Game Collection?

It seems like it could be a decent little game collection, like Clubhouse Games was for the DS.

When I first read your post, I thought to myself, "oh man, I could play CHESS IN 3D?"

Clicked through the link, saw Checkers, laughed to myself, but then was immediatelly disappointed. I can't play Chess in 3D! :v:

But seriously though, it's PROBABLY just a bunch of shovelware, but I'm still a bit curious if anything on there is worthwhile. I also want to know how Sudoku in 3D works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

Console multiplayer (as in, emulating console games like the NES) are easier to emulate than Handheld because on console, both systems are running the same version of the game, just sending the inputs each player is doing back and forth to each other. For handhelds, each system is running their own copy of the game and trying to emulate what the link cable expects.

The T
May 29, 2010

VarrosAnon posted:

Has anyone played Ikachan? I know it's another old Pixel game, but I was just curious if anyone had opinions on the game and the probable quality of the 3DS port.

No idea about the 3DS port, but it's a very short game with kinda quirky controls, but it's cute and I liked it. But again, extremely short game.

The T
May 29, 2010

Edoraz posted:

Kirby Superstar Ultra, if you can find it for a reasonable price, is good. I don't notice the stretching or whatever people cry fowl on when I play my copy.

Now the problem comes down to finding it at a reasonable price.

Not stretching, but people complain about the lower resolution; not sure if this is even a thing on DS, it was mostly a thing on the GBA. Of course, it wouldn't apply to Super Star Ultra either way because it uses a different Kirby sprite/tileset that is completely redone.

But anyway, fantastic game, everyone buy it.

The T
May 29, 2010

Laser Spider posted:

This is some of the best news I've heard about 3DS Virtual Console games. Sure, Link's Awakening was good, but the Oracles are pretty much the best Zelda games ever. That's a day one buy for me right there.

Any word on whether they'll have any special functionality hacked in for sharing rings and secrets between the two games, or will we still have to use the old password system?

You'll now be able to access the home menu and use the in-system notepad to write down the password! No external paper writing utilities required! :downs:

The T
May 29, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Yes, it's the same amount. It's been about 3 days already though and still didn't clear up.

Does it say "Pending" or does it list a date. If it's pending, it's not a real charge yet and will go away.

The T
May 29, 2010

elf help book posted:

Zelda 2 rules. Stick with it, it starts tough but you get plenty of tools and shortcuts to make it easy as you push through. It's like the game is testing you, and once you pass an obstacle, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I felt the opposite about it; I was a total tool and spent about 3 hours one day farming outside Dungeon 2 until my levels were about halfway to max. This made all the dungeons really easy and unstressful, and I just made sure to level up right before I reach the end of a dungeon (where it gives you a free level up).

The T
May 29, 2010

Depends on how many games you play next year.

But yes, when you register it you get 40 coins I believe, so waiting to register it so you can save those coins for next year would probably work out best for ya.

I have tons of games with codes in them laying around. I just went through a bunch of old DS games to make sure I had Platinum for the end of next month.

The T
May 29, 2010

I don't see much point in buying those monthly games with coins when coins can go towards so much other stuff that's exclusive to there... Rather have that stuff.

The T
May 29, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That would make sense if there was ever anything worth buying with your coins on the NA Club Nintendo. There was a golden Nunchuk and a Game and Watch recreation, and other than that it's all stuff like stationery and Wii Remote holders.

Still jealous of Japan's SNES controller for the Wii.

Maybe I don't buy enough Nintendo games then, 'cause I've got the 2 G&W Collection DS games and I'm gonna save up for the Ball I think it was recreation.

The T
May 29, 2010

I just played the Project X Zone demo and I have absolutely no idea what was happening or have any understanding of any of the mechanics at all and it was kind of fun.

The T
May 29, 2010

Unless they've announced something and I didn't see it, I don't imagine they'll be taking that down since, unlike the News and Weather, they can still make money off the Wii Shop Channel. As well, past WiiWare developers wouldn't be happy about it, nor people who want to redownload their WiiWare titles.

The T
May 29, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But really the Sega side suffered the most due to most of the characters not being well known outside of Japan

On the flip side: Ulala.

The T
May 29, 2010

I guess everyone knows because it sent an update to your 3DS, but the new StreetPass games came out in NA today. $5 each, or 4 for $15.

They're alright.

The T
May 29, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I do not understand Flower Town at all... It's just I can't understand how this is even a game.

It actually has some sort of systems to it. The objective is to have attained every type of flower (and every color flower within those flowers). To do this, you will StreetPass people to collect seeds which can mingle with your flower. Your flower can only produce so many seeds before you have to start a new one. So you can try to accomplish flowers solely by StreetPassing, or by selling seeds you won't need, to make money to buy seeds (I think? Didn't actually check if seeds are for sale) you will use. You can also spend your money on decorative poo poo but I don't know what that all does yet!

So basically there's a surprising amount to it. It's just not as overt a game as Mii Force and Haunted whatever are. (Haunted whatever is legit one of my favorites though. I like goofy room poo poo.)

The T
May 29, 2010

Bill Trinen what are you doing. That's not how real trees work. Stop that.

Also that Spin the Bottle game scares and confuses me. I don't get it. Is it just We Dare? How is it a game.

The T
May 29, 2010

robodex posted:

Which you can conveniently access here!

I like how even the online version's cover has just a BIT of grime from wear and use on it. There doesn't exist a single copy of this guide that hasn't been used heavily.

The T
May 29, 2010

Pyrovile posted:

It's kinda lovely that the 3D version of Sonic 1 isn't based on the Taxman iOS version. That version is in widescreen, has playable Tails and Knuckles, an option to enable the spindash and all sorts of crazy poo poo in debug mode, whereas this version's sole new feature just seems to be 3D.

This version has spindash, but otherwise, yes. Keep in mind how hugely divided development teams are between Japanese systems/developers and American stuff like phones, and it probably wouldn't be something simple to port over.

Realistically they should just put that version of Sonic 1 on XBLA or somethin'...

The T
May 29, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

the worst of the genesis Sonics. :(

Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D Blast would like a stern word with you.

The T
May 29, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

Ok you know what I mean! The main 2D Sonic games.

And while it's not everyone's cup of tea, Sonic 1 is still a fantastic game. I think it has a lot longer legs to it (ie, replayability) than Sonic 3 for me, but that's probably just because I've played Sonic 3 to death as a child.

The T
May 29, 2010

njsykora posted:

Sonic Spinball would kerbstomp Sonic 1. Better game, better music.

So you're going to be in the Spinball race then.

The T
May 29, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Capcom announced that the remaining Mega Man Game Boy games are definitely coming to the VC "soon" - games include Mega Man II/III/IV/V and Mega Man Xtreme/Xtreme 2, and we know Mega Man Game Gear is coming, too. If you're not a diehard fan you can safely skip most of 'em, but it's still nice to see Capcom throw a bone to the diehard fans in the first place.

Pretty disappointing that Mega Man V won't have it's Super Game Boy palettes. Same with DK '94, which had AMAZING ones (skip down a bit on the page).

Likewise for the Oracle games and I'm guessing Shantae not having their GBA features. (Oracle games have 2 extra shops; Shantae had a slightly updated graphic mode and a few extra abilities I think?) I'm not even positive on if Shantae doesn't have them, but I don't see why it would if the Oracle games don't.

Really strange decisions around these things.

The T
May 29, 2010

Shantae doesn't have the GBA features, just checked for myself.

Gross. Pretty sure I'm not gonna bother with a purchase then. :/

The T
May 29, 2010

Game Freak's new 3DS eShop game has been revealed - it's the horse racing/solitaire hybrid we've all been begging for!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/226/G022607/20130723007/

Out next week in Japan, 500yen.

The character designs on this are ALMOST cute enough for me to wish I could play this. ALMOST.

The T
May 29, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

There's costume DLC for Ace Attorney? :psyduck:
That's the most unnecessary thing to make so you can charge people for it and the Capcom thing ever.

e: Like seriously that's dumber than horse armor.

So have you just not played a Capcom game in the last, I don't know, 5 years? :v:

The T
May 29, 2010

So that Code of Princess game is $20 on the eShop for a limited time. Anyone have any experience with it? It also apparently has online multiplayer, so that could be a thing if some of us get it I guess.

The T
May 29, 2010

Rirse posted:

Breath of Fire 2 was quite good but it suffers from a really bad translation. That said, it's the very first JRPG with the evil religion as it's plotline.

This is borderline off topic but I couldn't find anything after a quick Google search, so does anyone know if the GBA version of Breath of Fire II got a re-translation or if it copy and pasted the SNES translation?

The T
May 29, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

What can you do with just 3 uses? :psyduck:

Play it once and have 2 uses left over?

The T
May 29, 2010

Obeast posted:

Each of the games after World Warrior did add new characters (Hyper Fighting/SF2 Turbo made the bosses playable and New Challengers/Super SF2 added brand new characters like Cammy and T. Hawk) and balance changes, so they are technically different games.

The reason why to sell all three seperately is probably for nostalgia since I'm sure a lot of kids at the time the games were new only had one (or two) of the games at a time.

The thing is that anyone who cares about the nuanced differences between them (ie, no one) would just be a sperg enough to want the arcade versions and not the SNES ports.

The T
May 29, 2010

WalrusWhiskers posted:

My only complaint about Bit Trip Saga is that it has pretty bad framerate issues if you play it with 3D. This is especially noticeable in Runner in certain segments (where it lags a bit even if you don't have 3d on), which is annoying since this is a timing/precision based game.

I have really bad eyes for framerate, so when I heard about that, I played with it on, thought it was fine, then turned the 3D off, and noticed a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE that looked so much better. So yeah. Framerate with 3D is REALLY quite bad.

The T
May 29, 2010

Kevyn posted:

Do the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Metroid 1 and Punch-Out have save slots added or do you have to use those awful passwords?

edit: Also, Animal Crossing New Leaf has been downloading for 30 minutes and it's STILL going. The gently caress?

They use save states.

Animal Crossing is a full retail game. It's kind of big. And you're downloading it wirelessly.

The T
May 29, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Fun fact: the first return of Giana Sisters was on Nintendo DS with the explicit approval of Nintendo.
The original Giana Sisters just copied most of the base gameplay and levels from SMB while it tried to have its own graphics and style, Giana Sisters DS was something completely different (so the Steam/WiiU version).

Actually, the DS version wasn't THAT dissimilar from the C64 version. It definitely felt like "an even odder take on what was clearly similar to Mario", but you could still see the influence in it.

Twisted Dreams however is a very different game.

The T
May 29, 2010

If it's worth mentioning, Final Fight 2 and 3 were developed originally for the SNES and aren't a remake of any arcade version. SNES is the only console those 2 were on. (That said, I've never played them.)

The T
May 29, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yoshi's Cookie is actually a great puzzle game.

You're probably thinking of Yoshi, which is not a good puzzle game.

HEY YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Yoshi is... Yoshi is... a kind of okay game. :(

I had it as a kid and played it a ton nostalgia maaan. :smith:

The T
May 29, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

"Pinball: Revenge of the Gator"? Was... was there some great demand for this that I'm not aware of?

It was a neat Pinball game made by HAL, and sort of a precursor to Kirby's Pinball Land.

The T
May 29, 2010

Also, a reminder that NES games on the 3DS VC do have local multiplayer via Download Play, so you can definitely play River City Ransom in co-op. (Game Gear games do it, too, it's only GB/C games that don't.)

I had no idea any of the Game Gear games even had multiplayer (That is, that any of them were even 2-player games originally). Kind of sad that the GBC ones don't. (Or GBA...!)

The T
May 29, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Minis on the Move is not even like the other Mario vs DK games. It's more like Pipe Dreams. The game has 4 different modes, each with a ton of levels, as well as minigames you can unlock as well.

Was there a typo? For me it's showing as $6.99, and that's even showing as what the discounted price is on the banner ad...

e:f;b

The T
May 29, 2010

Kaleidoscope posted:

Anyone here put a decent amount of time into Super Street Fighter IV on 3DS? It's on sale on the eShop for $10 and I'm curious.

If you've played SSF4 on any other console/PC, it's basically like that. Plays the same, looks a little worse but not noticeably so. And of course you're using the 3DS's buttons + L and R, so.

The T
May 29, 2010

Crawfish posted:

I wouldn't say they made a profit.

Prices of that level are something that could only work as a price error, because if they were a legitimate regular thing, literally no one would buy anything from Nintendo at full price, and even a cost cutting company as such as Nintendo couldn't realistically survive off only ever getting $8 off almost all of its sales.

I can agree with the idea that Nintendo needs to actually put poo poo on sale more often, but i'd be leaning more on the 20% off side than the 80% off side personally.

There will always exist people who have enough income to spend $60 on a game to get it on release day, even if it goes down in price a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Um, they should make Nintenhorse+Dinosaurs to capture the entire world market. And my heart. :allears: Holy poo poo, if that game had unicorns I'd finally be forced to buy my wife her own 3DS.

I would buy this if the dinosaurs are able to be ridden and raced... in the same races with the horses.