Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

The original DS had all the hardware to play GBA games. Since the 3DS is maintaining that backwards compatibility, I wouldn't be surprised if the ambassador games are just using the legacy GBA hardware to run. It would explain why there are no savestates, native resolution, or menu access.

E: Also, they are experimenting with making DSi Ware downloadable versions of DS games if the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Japanese Club Nintendo reward is anything to go by

Wait, is the GBA hardware really still basically built into the 3DS? Wouldn't surprise me but I thought they took out the GBA hardware on the DSi. Maybe that was just the cartridge slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nintendo will not release an emulation that is anything less than 100% accurate. That's why it takes forever for poo poo to come out. They don't build one emulator and copy/paste roms into it, they build an individual emulator for each game in order to make sure it is 100% accurate. That's the type of company Nintendo is.

I have a feeling that a more accurate assessment is that they are really out of touch and don't know how to run an online digital store.

But yeah all their stuff tends to run beautifully.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Have they ever done a monthly bonus for CN games? That's pretty neat.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

You'd think so, right?

Ok this makes Miiverse worth it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of it, how does Super Metroid look when it's blown up onto a large HD screen? What kinds of filters and options are there and how do they work out?

I would assume they would do something to the emulator output to make it look better.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How much is that in Dogecoins

Looks like a faaaiiirly straight port of Pushmo- odd as it seems like a game designed to really take advantage of the 3D effect of the 3DS. Didn't really expect this.

Spoke too soon- so they've added some content and new block types. Well the Wii U isn't busy with anything else so I'll pick this up if it happens to come stateside :)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think sometimes they'll bend the lovely rules of their lovely online shop system if you flat-out call them up and ask/complain about it. No guarantees, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is on sale for 7.50 now so it's a good time to pick it up if you like strategy RPG games at all.

Surprisingly good game- when I was playing it I was like "huh, seems like XCom". Looked it up and the dude who designed the original XCom apparently had a heavy director/management role in putting this one together. Nice.

Also it is basically a GI Joe Saturday morning cartoon version of a typical Tom Clancy story, which is hilarious to me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Medium Cool posted:

I was a fan of the card game as a kid and I enjoyed it. It's not as good as the main series but it's a fun time waster.

Yeah, I remember liking it too. How do they decide what games on the VC they bring to what regions anyways? Can it be any more effort to throw it up on the NA store?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Eh, OK. I already own DKCR for Wii, but that seems like the best choice here.

That's like, what, 30 bucks? Not so bad.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 16, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Still can't get DKCR to download on 3DS- maybe the store is still busy or something? This is like the third day it's been like this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

deafmute posted:

I've been able to download from Wii U and 3ds eShop today without any problems. What part do you get to in the process? Does your memory card have enough space to hold it(the game is over 2.2gigs I think)?

Get to the screen where you have to choose "download now" or "download later" and the process will look like it starts for a moment when I click either of them but then it will fail a few seconds later.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
GBC Mario Golf is supposedly a surprisingly good game with relaxing music and weirdo little RPG elements. I guess SF64 if you don't have it would be a good one?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jawidar posted:

Is Assassin's Creed 4 worth a look for that price? Haven't heard much about it on Wii U.

If you cannot play it on a PC that can run it or a PS4 then yeah. Game has serious framerate issues on PS3/WiiU but it is a good game regardless if you aren't completely burned out on AC. It is way better than AC3.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Typical garbage sales for NA area, but Nano Assault Neo is a pretty cool Starfox-y game if you're looking for something like that. I don't know if Neo is like basically a straight port of the 3DS game or not, but it really wouldn't matter as it's pretty good.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crawfish posted:

The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe, if you are lucky, depending on your region, for like a week and then never again.

He's going to be waiting a hell of a long time for a digital sale on 3D World, I think.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Please play DK 94, such a great, tight little game that nobody remembers.

I can confirm this- has a crapload of content as well.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is actually a really good sale, yeah. Never thought they would discount 3D World that soon.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Turning the sensitivity up helps as well, but it is an undeniably awkward control scheme until you get used to it and play for a while. Also you may not have found your favorite weapon type yet. (Protip: Cannons suuuuuuuuck uugghhhhh)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I wish Donkey Kong '94 would go on sale.

It is really good; I got it for the 3DS as a Club Nintendo reward thingy and then dug out my SNES and the old cart so I could play it with the Super Game Boy effects/custom palettes. Probably one of the more "worth it" GB VC titles available right now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, drat you Nintendo and your actually putting worthwhile things on sale for good prices :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's at least the best Super Game Boy game...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vkeios posted:

nope, its Space Invaders for best SGB game. The SGB-only mode is amazingly well done. Also best Gameboy game is Gameboy Camera; so much neat stuff hidden in that cart.

Well Space Invaders CHEATED by just putting a literal SNES game directly on the cart. CHEATED

(It's still pretty cool)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Harmony of Dissonance is a lot easier than Circle of the Moon so far. Also completely garish. The last game was too dark and no one could see it! Better make this one visible from space!

Well, it looks good on the original unlit GBA... But yeeeah otherwise it's so drat bright that it like gives you afterimages when you close your eyes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, if you've never played Demon's Crest you really should.

Solid mechanics and a sorta Metroid-like element where new powers open up new passages in the levels; which you can revisit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When Nintendo inevitably releases a coffee-based theme you will all look like fools.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I mean maybe it's not "bad" on a technical level but it is also an incredibly rote and boring open-world game so you probably shouldn't play it unless you somehow haven't had your fill of tepid open world games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rexroom posted:

Please buy Angry Birds our country needs the money.

Angry Birds-based economy is working out well, excellent.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Releasing where?

Also there were four Megaman Zero games :confused:

He was probably thinking of the Battle Network games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As much as I love the Wii U, I still don't think I've seen anything that really validates that drat touchscreen's existence. I guess off-TV play is cool, and if you have kids you can rig it up to play in the car fairly easily but man that's really it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sega owns all that old Treasure stuff; the only games Treasure owns outright are Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Bangai-O and GOTY All Years Stretch Panic.

They've expressed interest in doing both Gunstar Heroes and Power Drift, an arcade kart racer that ran on the same crazy 2D scaling hardware as Galaxy Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisCeK0HX8A

I would like to see a lot of those old, weird 2D-scaling-quasi-3D games released on the 3DS with 3D conversions. Man that would be trippy.

EDIT: Space Harrier 3D rules.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 6, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Son of Isaac posted:

How different is Pushmo World from the 3DS game? Everything I've seen makes it seem like a high-def port.

They add a few different types of blocks/gadgets, but it's basically a hi-def level pack. Which can be a good or bad thing, depending on how much more Pushmo you want to play.

There's also a global thing where you can go online and download puzzles other people have made.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is correct. Everything else will be available in the future and is relatively cheap and Doc Louis' Punch-Out!! hasn't been available for years and almost certainly never will be again.

Hell yes, juuust enough coins for this. RIP Club Nintendo, hope the next thing they come up with is like PS+ or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ah, so what I should really do is wait until Gold/Plat stuff is out to use any coins.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

You should use your coins to buy a game you want, and then play that game, today, and enjoy the game.

I will do what I please, Forums User elf help book

triplexpac posted:

Ah alright, guess I'll give it a pass then.

The other game I was interested in is Sakura Samurai. It got pretty good reviews, anyone play it?

Think of it sorta like a Punch-Out where you can move around in a 3D space- there's a few different types of enemies that have different tells that cue you in on what direction to dodge and then counter from. It's fun enough, kinda short though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, those digital rewards aren't going anywhere. Everyone just let the nerds (ha ha totally not us guys) have the site for a while and go back in a few weeks or whatever when it actually works again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I seem to remember people saying the Ghost Recon strategy game on 3DS was actually decent. Is it actually good and does it give coins?

I'd say it's worth it at 7.50- think portable easy Xcom Lite. The GI Joe aesthetic crossed with the usual Tom Clancy wankery is also hilarious.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man c'mon, put some DS games on the eShop for the 3DS Nintendo.

c'moooooonnnnnn

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think the only DS VC thing I'd like to see is a Super Mario 64 DS that uses the circle pad properly for movement. That would require some extra work though, since the original game used the touch screen for that stuff (and I had forgotten about that weird thumb-pad stylus nub thing they packed in with the original DS, did anyone ever use that?).

It feels pretty good with the CirclePad, but I guess it isn't really analog stick support, yeah. I would buy a re-jiggered M64DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat, Candy Crush combined with Pokemon? That's a potent addictive FTP brew.

Guess I can't really blame Nintendo for getting on the FTP money train.