Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

What is this? Is it just port of the Wii version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Fire & Ice looks awesome. I'm excited.

From what I've seen it actually doesn't look that bad (probably the best of the Sonic Boom games though that's not saying much), they even delayed it by a year so they could improve things. If they at least got rid of the forced backtracking for collectables from Shattered Crystal (which played a lot more like a Sonic game than Rise of Lyric did and wasn't a buggy mess, though it had problems of it's own) it could be passable.

ed: Having now actually played a bit of the game I can confirm that this is pretty much an improvement in every aspect: the game is a lot more fast paced, the levels are much shorter and less maze-like than Shattered Crystal and, while there are still collectables, as far as I can tell so far they're only for unlocking extra content and not actually required to complete the game. So yeah, surprisingly I'm actually having fun with this so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 27, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Played a bit of Gunvolt 2 and it's pretty fun (though I'm probably going to enjoy playing as Copen more than Gunvolt), each character has unique stages/bosses to choose from (though some are shared between them), it has full (Japanese) voice acting this time (which is kind of funny at times as apparently they changed pretty much everyone's name in the English version). One problem I have is that this game seems way more dialouge heavy than the previous one to the point where there were several times during the intro where I was wishing the game would just shut up and let me play.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't get a feel for Copen's playstyle. Dodging with him shoots him all over the place. :supaburn:

He can dash in any direction you hold the d-pad in (for example is upward dash can be useful for scaling walls quickly) and dashing into enemies is how he tags them, I personally found it a little easier to pull off if you switch dash to the A button rather than L (though since the sub weapon you're given at the start is fairly strong I didn't bother with tagging and just adapted a run and gun strategy). Also, there's a little icon on the top right corner of the bottom screen you can toggle on and off, does anyone have any idea what that does?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 29, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takoluka posted:

The level design is good and not overly complex, every character is utilized pretty well, the new fire/ice mechanic is great, and there is a great balance between speed and platforming. There's a world map with collectibles in each stage that reminds me a lot of Crash Bandicoot/DKC. The humor is on par with the cartoon series, and it has unlockable S2 episode previews.

Also, there are no lives at all. If you die, you go back to the last checkpoint and that's it. The only thing this greatly affects is your time; to 100% levels, you have to speed run them (and this is actually a fun challenge and not a constant frustration).

I really enjoy this game a lot, and this is coming off of recently beating Sonic 1 and 2, as well as playing around with Generations.

To add on to that, unlike the first 3DS Sonic Boom the oollectibles are not required to complete the game, the levels are much shorter, the character switching is kept to a minimum (in fact, several stages can be beaten by a single character if you're just focused on getting to the end) and finally neither 3DS game is a glitchy mess and they both play like a normal sidescrolling platformer (Fire & Ice more so than Shattered Crystal though as the latter had a kind of Metroidvania thing going for it which was annoying). It's probably the best game in this entire sub-series (though considering its predecessors that's not saying much).

Also as a nice little design touch, all the level gimmicks like springs/boost pads/etc. have been reverted back to the way they looked in the mainline Sonic games. I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 6, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just FYI, the DLC update for Gunvolt 2 is apparently broken so if you were thinking of getting it I'd hold off until they release another patch for it.

Ed: Nevermind, it's been fixed now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

On the 3DS, PAL region is getting Mighty Gunvolt Burst, which came out for Switch recently. No sign of it on NOA's site yet, but again it could very easily drop there today. There's also the 3DS port of 6180 The Moon, which also came out in PAL regions a couple of months ago.

Finally, the first DLC pack for BOTW will be available tomorrow. You have to buy the full Expansion Pass for $20/€20 to get it.

Burst is out in the US now as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When does the 3DS Eshop usually update? I thought the update/DLC for Mighty Gunvolt Burst was supposed to be out today for both consoles but I'm not seeing anything for it (it's apparently out for the Switch though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Training posted:

eShop usually updates at noon EST? I can't wait for Picross

I think there might be new DLC for Mighty Gunvolt Burst coming out today too. Call and Joule were released as playable characters in the Japanese version yesterday and as there's already English preview footage out for them a western release shouldn't be far behind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Blaster Master and Gunvolt Burst have been fantastic investments for the bite sized, cheap DLC they offer. I'm glad Gunvolt is all over the place in these little Switch games.

I'd still like a Gunvolt 3 at some point but this has been good too.

Also the new characters seem pretty OP to me (especially Call) but the customization feature already allows you to snap the game's difficulty in half so why not? Looking forward to another excuse to replay Burst. When does the eshop usually update? I haven't seen anything yet.

Ed: It's out for the Switch at least now. The 3DS version claims there's an update available but I'm not seeing anything on the Eshop yet.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 28, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Just got my birthday discount email, is Yoshi's Woolly World worth $21? The only other game that catches my eye is New Super Mario Bros U, and at $47 that still seems a little too pricey.

Yes, I still have my Wii U hooked up to my television. No, I don't know why.

I'd actually reccomend getting the 3DS version of Wolly World instead, it has more content and shorter load times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, there's a new Gunvolt game in development for the Switch as well. This one apparently exclusively staring Copen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NETEc3R7bwg

Also as far as Megaman spiritual sequels go I thought Shovel Knight was pretty good as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 13, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'd much sooner recommend Shovel Knight to a MM fan than Gunvolt - it's a fine series but it doesn't really play like any variety of MM and is more of a niche title in general.

GV2 as Copen sort of does since you can get weapons from defeated bosses, said bosses have weaknesses to those weapons and his gameplay involves a more run and gun type of style but yeah, I agree. Though if I had to link it to something, the Zero series is probably the closest in style.

Also to be fair, Shovel Knight is more a tribute to NES platformers in general. The Megaman influence is clearly there but it's not the only source it takes inspiration from (there's a bit of Castlevania and Ducktales in there as well for example).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 13, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Training posted:

True but other gunvolt games are pretty different. MGB is a Mighty-No.9-like.

Yeah, Burst is fun but mechanically it's really nothing like the actual Gunvolt games (GV can't use the flashfield, dash or climb walls for example).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone heard of any "incentives" to buy the physical version of X Collection for the Switch? I am aware that only X1-X4 are on physical media and the rest are digital download, but the first four X games won't take up much additional memory and it is convenient to not have to swap media. I bought the original collection via physical media but, unless the X collection comes with something neat like the twee little 30th anniversary cloth, I think that I'm going to go full digital this time.

Edit: Second question: is the digital version of Sonic Mania going to be the same, content-wise, as the cartridge version that's coming out next month on the Switch? I know that there are some physical gifts in the box version but I'm not terribly tempted by those, so if the actual game content is the game I think that I will just go full digital on this one also as it's not going to eat up a lot of space. (I have a 64gb card in my Switch, which helps).

As far as I'm aware, yes. Mania Plus will be released as DLC for those who already own the digital version and the physical copy will just be the main game with the DLC content already added into it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spellman posted:

Virtual Boy Wario Land (on its original hardware)

One of the few good games on that system to be honest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OG Dreamland is fine for what it is, and if you play on the extra mode it's actually pretty fun.

Star Allies is the weakest iteration of the style of game they've been making since the Wii game - it's not a bad game but it's a big letdown coming off the back of Robobot, and the constant character updates are wasted on a game with so little to do.

Dreamland 1's Extra Mode is still probably one of the hardest Kirby games ever made. As for worst, as someone else said there hasn't really been an explicitly bad Kirby game per se but I personally didn't care much for Tilt 'n Tumble (the motion controlled GBC game).

I wish they'd port Air Ride one day as it's the only Kirby game I still haven't played.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Tilt n Tumble ruled, I'd love a Switch port/remake

Oh it's not a bad game by any stretch, it's just probably the one I liked the least (though then again I only played it through emulation with the motion controls mapped to the d-pad so I imagine it would be a little better on an actual GBC).

Apparently there were plans for a Gamecube sequel but it wound up getting canceled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Ok yeah playing it without the motion controls would be rough. They're really well done, the only problem I had was that the GBC's screen was hard to see.

Yeah, that makes sense. I had a similar experience with Mass Attack when that first came out but then I replayed the game years later on the Wii U's Virtual Console and wound up loving it.

Not a huge fan of Canvas/Rainbow Curse either, mostly due to the fact that the control scheme means your hand is covering part of the screen half the time and there are points where Kirby either will not move onto the lines you draw or go bouncing off in the wrong direction. The vehicle segments in the latter were kind of fun though (I kind of wish there was a way to play as Waddle Dee in 1 player mode to be honest).

But yeah, Robobot is probably one of the best games in the series (though the control scheme of the 3DS games where A is jump and B is attack always seemed kind of weird to me) with Super Star coming in as a close second. While I realize some don't really care for it I really enjoyed Epic Yarn as well and consider it one of the few spinoff games where Kirby is probably the least hampered by the new gimmick attached (in a sense it kind of harkens back to Dreamland 1, specifically in your main form of attack being catching enemy attacks and throwing them back at them).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alxprit posted:

It's out right now and you should all play as Dark Meta Knight.

Is there anything significantly different gameplay wise between him and regular Meta Knight?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

b_d posted:

yeah his moves are completely different.

Good to know, is he better than vanilla MK then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Words can't even express how awesome a new Rayman on the Switch would be.

I actually kind of wish they'd make a new 3D Rayman as I remember those games being pretty decent as well (Rayman 2 is still a drat good looking game even for the time, imagine what they could pull off on a modern console).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kirby Star Allies is also getting/got an update today that added a few more Dream Friends/playable characters to the roster (Magalor, Taranza, Susie, and the 3 Sisters you fight later on in the game) as well as a brand new gameplay mode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 30, 2018