Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

lizzyinthesky posted:

I just got my 3DS and went into the eShop expecting I might buy stuff. I struggled with spending $20 on stuff I wanted. Ended up with Liberation Maiden and Dr Mario (which I wasn't aware was just a straight ROM of a GBA version, sigh). Why no SNES games? This literally makes no sense in any form of thinking. More downlodable DS/3DS games would be nice too. Preferrably not at full $40 retails prices.

Well, there's a lot of great stuff on the eShop. Pushmo, Crashmo, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Mole Mania, Wario Land, Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Link's Awakening DX, Cave Story, Dillon's Rolling Western, Sakura Samurai, Mighty Switch Force, Mighty Flip Champs, Pictobits, Mutant Mudds, Gargoyle's Quest, Denpa Men: They Came By Wave, Freaky Forms, and Kid Icarus: Myths and Legends, among others.

And no SNES games makes sense in a way: If they flooded the eShop with SNES games, some people would buy those and nothing else. It's irritating but it's a pretty strong reason. I probably wouldn't have grabbed Mighty Switch Force or Pushmo if I could have just had Tetris Attack and Super Mario RPG instead, but I would have been missing out in both cases.

I think everyone should pick up Pushmo or Crashmo. They've gotten all but unanimous praise here and elsewhere. I haven't gotten Crashmo yet, but people saying it's better than Pushmo has me in awe, because Pushmo is one of the best games I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

lizzyinthesky posted:

I am unsure how having more content people want to buy could hurt them. The current virtual console selection is HELLA WEAK. The idea that selling these classics would cannibalize all their other sales is just completely nuts. As is I'm not really buying much of anything on the eShop because there isn't a lot I do want, beside the 2-3 full priced retail games they've half-heartedly tossed on there. Even Sony who are incompetent at about everything else has most of their PSP library available to Vita and it hasn't hurt them (the lack of new games is killing them but that's an entire other thing).

Mole Mania, Gargoyle's Quest and Kid Icarus: Myths and Monsters are all mostly-unplayed gems for the Game Boy. I know they're not Link to the Past but they're all a lot of fun at a good price if you are looking for VC stuff.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

DrManiac posted:

What time does the eshop usually update?

I heard Crimson Shroud is pretty much just a videogame table top game, which is kinda cool.

The eShop updates at 11am Central time.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Still Fluxing posted:

I mostly got Zelda 2 because it's the only 2D Zelda I'd never played. I know it has a pretty bad reputation, but I figured it would still be worth the pittance it cost just to have tried it.:)

I'll definitely be getting the Oracle games when they come out - I already own them on cartridge, but I want a back-up. The reason I finally caved and bought a 3DS to begin with it is that I want to play the LttP sequel once it comes out (pretty par for the course for me; Zelda's the reason I've bought all my other handheld systems too).

I'll defend Zelda 2 this way: It has a lot of good ideas, and the music is great. If it has any problem, it would be that it kind of drags after a certain point. It's one of the few games I think would be better if you just cut it in half and let it end earlier. You'll get your 5 dollars worth out of it, if nothing else.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Is the Shantae GBC game still worth playing in the year of our Lord 2013 or should I just buy Risky's Revenge?

It's pretty solid overall. The enemies kind of take a lot of hits to kill, and the bosses are all pushovers, but it's a fun way to spend 7-10 hours. It's not worth $2,000 USD, but it's definitely worth $5. Risky's Revenge is faster and handles A LOT better, but it's significantly shorter and poses few real challenges throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

ETB posted:

I bet people would gobble up the old Pokemon games if it meant that they could trade up to the current iteration somehow. THINK OF THE PROFITS

Well, the Gameboy Pokemon games have a lot of now-permanent fixtures missing from the games. RBG even calculates character stats differently. G/S don't have natures, which are fairly important. Then there's a bunch of hidden stuff. But yeah, people who like Pokemon will tend to get pretty much any Pokemon main game so selling the originals with the disclaimer that they're stand alone and cannot be traded up to the new ones would make them a decent amount of money.