Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

There are a TON of 3DS eShop titles I haven't been able to download since whenever Paper Mario Sticker Star came out. That's when my 3DS was like "lol get a bigger SD card bitch" and thus I have had to wait until Christmas.

Within 48 hours that 32 gig card will be in the slot and I will be able to download WHATEVER I drat WELL PLEASE. It will be glorious.

EDIT: Nintendo Life did an interview with Dan Adelman, eShop coordinator (I guess) guy.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I gave a friend two $20 3DS eShop cards for Christmas. She's never had any eShop money before and I don't think she's even had any actual money in her account to spare for it, so she's out of the loop. There's a LOT of great choices and she wants to know what to get.

I told her Denpa Men for sure, but that's the only extremely solid rec I have so far. I'm willing to rec DSiWare as well. (I remember liking Picdun.) I showed her that Twinbee is up for free on Club Nintendo, so there's also that.

Another thing is she's still only got the default SD card (because as I've said, she's had no chance to download anything before).

What say you, goons? What should I rec to a woman with eShop cash to burn?

Edit: Just texted her about Colors! 3D. Unlike most of us, she draws very well. I told her it's a bit overpriced, though.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 27, 2012

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does Little Inferno have a plot? Is there some kind of puzzle-solving element to it? Are you like, solving a mystery or something? Or are you just burning poo poo. It looks kinda neat but I'm not sold yet.

It's a sandbox puzzler. There are combos to unlock which get you money and stamps. (Stamps get items from the catalog shipped to you faster.) Mostly you do burn poo poo but yes, there is a plot. It's not a mystery.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

petewhitley posted:

So I'm vacationing in the U.S. (from Japan) and picked up an XL with a handful of games. I was a little disappointed, but expecting, that my Japanese credit card was declined in the U.S. eShop. Is there any workaround to this? The part where I get rejected is the zip code of course. It's limited to 5 digits which of course doesn't jive with my 7 digit zip code. Any good reliable online shops that email codes? I can pick up a card or two right now but I'll inevitably run out before I come back around these parts.

Also, I've got 300 some eShop points and not sure what is a good reward. TwinBee?

TwinBee is an excellent game. The 3D depth is very solid and definitely adds to the title. Plus it makes a really cool noise when you click over it on the menu. :3:

Of course if you think you can rack up 600 more points in the next month and will still be here throughout January, the big thing is the gold Nunchuck. Even if you don't want it, they sell for $50-60 on eBay.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Obeast posted:

The only one I've played is Xevious, which is a pretty good version that some people find to be easier than the non-3D versions since you can easily distinguish air targets from ground targets.

I've heard Excitebike is pretty good since the track editor actually works in that you can save your custom tracks (I dunno if you can share them online, which would be loving awesome IMO), but the 3D effect is purely cosmetic (although it does look pretty nice from the video in the eShop).

Kid Icarus is supposed to be okay as well since they brought back the save feature that was only on the Famicom Disk System version and took out the slowdown from too many sprites being on screen. Again, the 3D effect is cosmetic, but I dunno how I feel about the backgrounds since they look a little out of place with the original sprites.

Edit: I just watched the 3D Classics Kid Icarus video again... The dungeon backgrounds actually look much better than the outdoor backgrounds since they use the original sprites.

Then of course there's Urban Champion, which makes a good gag gift. From my understanding the guys working on this one really put a lot of effort into the 3D to make it fun and interesting, but at the end of the day, it's still Urban Champion. Here's the review from my favorite site for eShop reviews: link

Kirby is the most shallow from what I've heard. If you like the game or have never played it, get it because of that, but don't get it because it's a "3D Classic."

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

That is an impressive and jealousy inspiring promotion. I had forgotten that was a thing. Go Europe! Apparently you can still cash in on that until the 15th, so go buy a 3DS XL.

I'll just sit here with my, uh. Hmm. Well, I got my Wii U before you did. So there's that.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Anatharon posted:

Are any of the 1.99 3DS Eshop games worthwhile? I have 2.19 on my 3DS right now.

There are a few, here and there. I don't memorize price off the top of my head, so have a link: link.

That's just DSiWare.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

New to this thread and exited about Nintendo finally offering cross-buy with Tipping Stars. If I wanted to share my levels with goons, would I do that here?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

At any rate if it's all right for me to post my Tipping Stars levels here, here they are:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHi_agXS0g
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHi_qFiwTQ

There has to be some way to find them from your Wii U/3DS from that.

Edit:

And here's my version of those "free stars" levels that are so popular: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHi_rr-arg

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 6, 2015

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Enter the eShop, go to Settings > Account History, find Tipping Stars and view the receipt, there should be a code on there.

Thanks, I was wondering that myself.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

greatn posted:

Does the 3ds version have the same levels? I'm just thinking I may want to just sell or give that code away if there is but there's no cloud saves anyway, cause why would I want to do the same levels twice?

It's the same on both systems. It's all down to preference. Do you want to play in HD or do you want it on the go? I personally downloaded it to the 3DS but I'm keeping the Wii U code because it'll be easier for me to build giant levels when I can see the entire stage at once on my TV screen.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Personally what I'm enjoying from Tipping Stars isn't the game itself but the user created levels. There are some very clever ones that are waaay better than what is provided by Nintendo. That said I never played the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong or DK '94 so I can't compare it on those merits.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Also if you are short on coins be absolutely sure to go through your Wii and Wii U collections to be sure you haven't missed a game. I have 59 physical games combined and it turned out I had missed four (all early Wii games). Yes it's a bit of a bitch but that netted me 110 coins.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Lurdiak posted:

All the Wii games I tried to register gave me "registration window expired" messages. :(

I'm sorry that happened to you. :( I guess I got lucky.

Btw count me in as loving Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's relaxing and beautiful. I can't wait for Yoshi's Wooly World even though I don't really like the mechanics of Yoshi games.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah it really looks like it plays exactly like Yoshi's Island in stunning HD yarn graphics. Like I said I don't even LIKE Yoshi's Island gameplay (I'm bad at aiming the eggs) and I'm planning on getting it anyway. Katana Gomai, at what event did you get to play Wooly World? I'm pretty jealous? :)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Haruharuharuko posted:

Just spent a half hour on the phone with Nintendo customer service to have them reinstate the lapsed post play surveys I missed. Wouldn't have done it but apparently I had over 600 coins in post play surveys I missed.

I had no idea you could do that. I have a ton of missed post play surveys myself. How did you convince them to do that?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

That actually seems to be the only other option Nintendo has for cross-buy at the moment besides the MvsDK way of doing it (codes) as evidenced by the dev's statement about the "exploit."

"Before opting in to Nintendo's Buy One Get One Free initiative, the company made clear that we could do it one of two ways, and both were potentially open to exploitation beyond our control. Despite this, we're very happy with the cross-buy sales on Nintendo's platforms so far, and will be taking part in the initiative again where possible."

Anyway they have to be already linked; you can't link them after the fact and still get it one the 3DSes.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

noirstronaut posted:

Is there an exploit with the TIpping Stars thing? And is the dev saying Nintendo knew full well of the exploit and opted to not fix it, but warn him beforehand?

Yeah basically that's what the dev is saying. I'm not sure Nintendo CAN fix it based on their account system at this time.

With Tipping Stars the "exploit" is you get a code for the opposite system that you can sell or even just give away to someone for free who didn't buy the game from Nintendo themselves.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

How the hell are some of you getting perfectly fine CDs with proper track listings, then some are getting them in German, and then some are getting no track listings at all? They're all the same CDs, right?

Full disclosure, I don't know how it works because I only bought Smash for my Wii U and not for my 3DS so I couldn't participate in that CN giveaway. Were the CDs shipped from different places or something?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thank you Zaphod42! What you said makes sense.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So they announced it today, but how close do you think they are to actually releasing a mobile game? Did they wait until the last possible moment to make it public (so, one will appear by the end of the month) or do you guys think it will be a while?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

"Pokemon Rumble World" is listed as multiplatform so it being one of the first games for this announcement makes sense. It could be Wii U/3DS or it could be a mobile game that is also available on PC. They are obviously going to launch with their IP that sell the most, and that's Mario and Pokemon.

And elf help book, I was just making conversation. I care because I'm genuinely excited about this move and I was wondering what people here thought about when it was likely to happen. Given the comments, I'm inclined to agree that we probably won't see more until E3, though that's still a bit of a ways off so there could possibly be a Nintendo Direct in the meantime that launches the first game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Champeenship posted:

Pretty much all games are listed as multiplatform on the ACB, so that doesn't actually mean anything. It's stupidly costly to get rated, so better to get rated once than potentially have to get rerated later down the line.

I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing!

greatn posted:

No one has ever liked Pokemon Rumble

I like Pokemon Rumble.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

To the goon asking about JRPGs that level evenly and stuff, the Denpa Men series does that. Even the first one is really good but to my understanding they get progressively better.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Has anybody been playing the new Pokemon Shuffle stages or just me? It got new special and main stages but does anybody know if it got more expert stages? I had basically beat everything before this update but I hadn't S-ranked all the stages so I only had 19 unlocked.

Goddamn why is that game so addicting? I wish I could just pay $5 for it and have it be all paid for and not give them money for pay to win stuff.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I really dislike Trozei. I like the play style of Shuffle better. I've had Trozei since it came out and eh... Shuffle is just better imo.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This is kind of out there, but is there a forum/thread for goons who are creating their own board games?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thanks! :)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah there are a surprising number of good DSiWare and WiiWare games. Of course it's a lot easier to get to the DSiWare ones but I actually still have my Wii hooked up soooooo. I use NintendoLife for reviews because they have this policy where they review every blessed game there is for those two services.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Platinum
Mario Golf World Tour
Mario Party Island Tour
Punch Out
Pushmo World

Any recommendations out of those four?

Btw I really enjoyed Freakyforms back when it first came out. It's definitely a forgotten jewel.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I bought Yoshi's New Island and it was literally the only purchase for a Nintendo system I have regretted in like the past three or four years. Not worth it at ALL. Bad, bad game.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've never played Animal Crossing and I'm unsure whether or not I'd get into it. Someone sell me on it.

For reference, the closest thing to a fake life simulator I ever really dug into was Harvest Moon for the GameBoy way back when. I fed those cows and chickens like my life depended on it.

The reason I play Harvest Moon to this day is because someone told me, "Oh, you like Animal Crossing? Here play this!" and handed me a copy of Magical Melody on GameCube. Animal Crossing is basically Harvest Moon's slightly more laid-back, animal themed cousin, and while there's no real goal beyond filling up your museum/catching all the bugs and fish/making your town and house look nice/some other arbitrary goal you set for yourself, it can get to be incredibly engrossing. If you were into feeding those cows and chickens it's possible you will become attached to some of your villagers (and despise others and want them to move the gently caress out of town) because they really do have a lot of personality and charm, but they require a decent amount of attention. You could probably get by playing every other day but skip more than that and you risk your favorite animal leaving forever without letting you know. (If you talk to them every day you can generally talk them out of leaving if that idea gets into their head.) Anyway it's fun to do little errands for them and become their friend. :3:

Edit:

absolutely anything posted:

i can't believe people are so desperate for collectathons that they're even starting to look back fondly on loving dk64

Hey! Hey! DK64 was adequate! I rented it from Blockbuster when I was like 11 and it was not a weekend wasted or anything!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 2, 2015

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some ex-Rare guys are working on right now and I guess Yacht Club will probably end up making Shovel Knight 64 but everything else will be terrible, I guarantee it.

There could be one or two more curveball indies who come out of nowhere and really nail the collectathon platformer experience. Of course they'd have to bother to learn to nail the regular 3D platformer experience first. Going at the rate we're seeing, where right now 8- and16-bit sidescrollers are all the rage, I predict the 3D platforming renaissance won't even start until 2022 at the earliest.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Man, speaking of those old TI calculator games, did anybody make their own games or was that just me? My friends and I used to screw around in math class and program calculator games instead of do what we were supposed to be doing. We'd do it at lunch, too.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

noirstronaut posted:

So should I get DK64 or no

follow your dreams

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Monkey Fracas posted:

Actually think I'll try out NES Remix 2 as a Plat Reward. Supposed to be the better one, right?

Well, if I could log in anyway.

Some day...

NES Remix 2 is eeeehhhhh. If that's all you have as an option go for it. I think it's what I had to choose last year? I got it for free anyway somehow and it's okay...

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Spacebump posted:

NES Remix 2 is the better half of NES Remix. If you liked the first one or played a bunch of NES as a kid, it could be a fun game.

Oh yeah, it's definitely better than the first one. So if you played the first one and liked it, it's a solid choice.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm not having any trouble getting into Club Nintendo right now. It worked completely smoothly and ran like nobody was using the site at all. Probably because they're all off trying to grab Amiibos. Enjoy it while it lasts.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

For the record, I picked World Tour and I'm having a blast with it. It's a very well polished game with solid controls and even though I haven't played a Mario Golf game since the N64/GBC days, it was easy to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I heard Earthbound is back "in stock" so you can all put your pitchforks back in the barn. Extinguish the torches as well. Nothing to see here, move along.