Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pachinko's a dying industry because they're seen primarily as an old-peoples game and the audience is literally dying off

Is this another aspect of the rise of mobile gaming? Since a big part of pachinko was the reward system and most mobile F2P/grind games give you all manner of prizes I can presume the younger generations get their fixes from their phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

I was interested in trying 7 until I watched a video of it online, and it genuinely made me ill. I guess that graphics have finally become realistic enough that they can cause such a visceral reaction in me.

Don't go anywhere near Outlast 2, because at least RE7 has character and isn't deploying edgelord shock tactics the whole way through.

In fact, if memory serves, the first one and the DLC are getting Switch ports, so ditto for them, same criticism. (Especially the Eddie the Groom section of the DLC.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Huh, didn't realize they made that game too.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I wish they'd kept the stereo 3D support in the Switch, even if just in handheld mode on certain games.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Well, how many of us sucked at ARMS the first time we tried it?

(...especially with the motion controls)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Did you know that despite being able to buy games from a browser, you can't enter a prepaid Nintendo card's code via the same, it HAS to be done via a system?

Chalk this up to being dumber than the way the points system works. Only Nintendo, I guess. What happens if you don't have your system with you and something on your wish list is on sale? Your rear end is waiting to add money to your account, that's what! (Hopefully before the sale ends.) Not sure that's what they had in mind with the Switch's portability...

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

OK, must be a browser error, a .ca site thing, or maybe they only won't let you add prepaid card to your wallet ahead of time, because I didn't have that show up for me at all. (Whereas via the systems I can add to my wallet for later, my preferred method.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

GoneRampant posted:

How's LA Noire on the Switch? I've heard it has a huge install size, but as someone who played the game when it came out, is the Switch port good?

Apparently the write speed of your required SD card really matters for that one so you'll want to double check that before you dive in with the installation.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Blaster Master Zero was so good that even if it doesn't become a re-born franchise with original entries, I still hope that they'll do that Genesis sequel at some point.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

In my shameful defense shovel knight is so fantastically good that I've apparently ceased to register it as a "spiritual successor" to anything anymore. Not like Gunvolt being "MMZ but not" or Axiom Verge being "Metroid but not", it's just shovel knight.

I feel the same way about Dust An Elysian Tale. Yeah you can see and feel its inspirations, but at the same time it totally nails what it sets out to do and does it very well, plus that great combat-combo system that you don't have in similar games, so it's a bit of a disservice to lump it in as just another "Metroidvania."

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

There's an official licensed tilted stand coming out soon that'll keep it close to the surface while also charging. Would that do the trick?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Yeah, after making pretty much all the right moves this generation, Sony has well and truly dropped the ball with crossplay. As bad at that is in and of itself, there was ZERO reason for them to do that, especially since UbiSoft was already doing that on PS4 with their VR-PSVR offerings. The PS4 has had fantastic hardware and software sales figures the whole generation through, so it's not like there could possibly be a fear of cannibalization. AND they jumped on the practice of having multiplayer be locked behind a PS+ subscription so that's guaranteed revenue right there anyway.

Whatever, at least Nintendo isn't the one bungling things for their own customer base these days!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's absolutely insane that they're charging £18 for this.

Yeah, it's like they think it's 2006 when digital re-issues of old games was new territory for the industry, digital-only sales figures were starting to catch up to physical, and we put up with inflated Virtual Console prices because we thought that's how it was going to be. "$5 for an NES game?! Eh, whatever." And then the race-to-the-bottom pricing on mobile and digital storefronts really kicked in just a couple years after that...

Flashback itself already had a premium iOS port about a decade ago and its price sure as hell wasn't that high. (And who wants to bet that it got pulled down because it doesn't even work anymore? Apple sucks for backwards compatibility ever since they went to 64-bit.) They could've at least thrown in Fade to Black, too!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Not so much simultaneously, but give people a discount for buying further titles in the same line: "Oh, you want to buy Sly Spy and you already own Bad Dudes? Thanks for being a loyal customer; you can have the game for $6 instead." or something like that.

And arcade games were designed to be quarter-eaters that could actually be 100%-ed in around an hour so their actual gameplay/replay value isn't that great unless it's a fighting or sports game.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Speaking of poo poo ports, I wound up going for The Sexy Brutale last week since it was part of the eShop sale and it'd been lingering in my Steam wishlist for a while, and boy howdy what a mistake that was because that's the worst technical performance I've ever gotten out of a console game purchase. Not just the chugging and loading times; after an hour of playing when you thwart the giant spider murder, entering the grand white hall led to protagonist Boone's animations not even loading, so in addition to the chugging and input/processing lag, he just choppily floated around the joint too, like a statue being moved by telekinesis. (Powering down and restarting didn't make any difference.) And this for a game that's apparently had 4 or 5 patches since it launched on Switch late last year? Holy gently caress!

Always check your reviews for ports I guess. Even for this week's Owlboy sale I'm hitting up Metacritic and checking the reviews first! Oh...wait...

quote:

The real shame is that the Nintendo Switch version, which you would think would be the ideal version, suffers from bad control issues and some troubling bugs that make it hard to recommend for that console.

...maybe it's been patched by now?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I've always presumed that it was up to the publisher to provide the media? And that Nintendo only requires at least X number of screenshots but not any video, maybe because content changes and they don't want to blamed for being given old/misleading footage? And then there's some games/publishers where there's a shitload of videos, such as Blaster Master Zero, where each character DLC got its own trailer.

When I got my Swtich in November I recall being impressed that the games had video previews in the shop, but yeah you're right, recently there hasn't been all that many of them among the new releases.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Switch games cost $80 CDN. And along comes Amazon(.ca of course) listing Smash for...$70?!

So either Nintendo is planning on selling one of their biggest games for $10 less than usual (not likely) or Amazon is just undercutting the competition on a huge seller during pre-sale period - until the day they no longer do. (And here I was going to just buy it in digital with my Gold Coin discount as soon as Nintendo puts up the pre-load on the eShop because if there's one game you want to have on hand at all times, it's Smash Bros.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Alxprit posted:

We should also be getting the Godmaster free DLC pack for Hollow Knight at some point today.

AND the base game itself is not only on sale, it's on for the exact same as it is on Steam*! (That's pretty rare; the vast majority of the time the eShop port price is a couple bucks more, then sales tax on top.) So yeah, grab it or gift it before the promo ends next week.

Mario & Rabbids is also on sale for what's gotta be its lowest price yet ($39 CDN for base and $54 for Gold). I've only ever seen the retail cart (base) edition go down to $59 so that's a great deal too!

*I wish Nintendo would email you when your Wish Listed games so on sale like Steam does. Oh well.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Also there is some modicum of fun you can have with FMV games, if you get yourself into the mindset of doing more watching than playing.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

The definitive port of Hyper Light Drifter was supposed to be out "this summer" and this week will close out August (drat, when I was a kid summer felt longer...) so maybe it'll drop on Wednesday?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Technically that's season 4, since A New Frontier was the third they put out.

And yeah, odd that they're doing the release that way. I guess it's because their porting team was already slogging away on Final, and the First was last-gen and an older engine and thus easier and faster to get on Switch?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

That's the idea behind having a Telltale account with its cloud feature, so probably. You'll want to check their site to make sure the Switch ports have the feature up and running at this point.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Plus you know Activision wanted an ever-expanding roster of characters to exploit further beyond toys-to-life games, plus with merchandise too. I'm sure they're planning a new take on Skylanders to go along with the Netflix cartoon and comics they already put out there. Maybe with actual dedicated toys this time around.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I was thinking that applies more to the Gal Metal entry. The premise sounds like fetish material.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

The only thing I'm paying full price for anytime soon is Smash, AND I might even go for the deluxe pack. It's great that Nintendo is giving us a bonus coins promo during the pre-release window; especially with a system-selling game like that. So we get a little bit of extra money back, and considering Best Buy's discontinued rewards program was $400 spent for $5 back, Nintendo's deal is even better.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Amazon no longer needs us game buying consumers to achieve their goals. They already hit them, partially thanks to us, back when they just sold books and media and your parents balked at the thought of buying something online because "OMG scammers gonna get my credit card!!!"

2 decades later and consumers have shown they'll buy from whoever can convince them that they'll be paying less money, they've copied the eBay model of being a reseller for small businesses who no longer need retail, Prime Video has enough original and licenced content to be one of the top players in that field, and cities large and small would nuke their own neighbourhoods and kick their lifelong citizens to the curb in order to get a shot at HQ2.

They don't need us anymore, they've become the de facto online shopping choice. They don't just have the big bucks and the market share, they're practically an economic engine all their own.

(I presume, or at least hope, that their customer service is still fantastic. I recall hearing on these forums about ordering Criterion Collection sets, the discs getting loose and scratched during shipping, and Amazon sending a free replacement copy with few to no questions.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

In Training posted:

:pray: Crunchyroll App :pray:

Netflix app. And not just for the Originals; all these years later they still have a pretty good anime/TV selection.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Does anyone else have a hunch that Starlink getting a $20 discount so soon after its release is a sign that its initial numbers are underperforming?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I use psprices.com for digital console buys, and I'm in Canada and it's never been wrong with the $CDN listing or price history. The site as a whole is almost as good as steamprices with just a little more clutter in the interface. I presume it does the Pound and Euro as well.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I traded in my GC after I got my Wii since it's fully compatible with that library and had the component cables readily available at retail.

Too bad that the eject disc sensor/latch is borked as of last year so I have to find a local repair place (even Nintendo said to do this when I called in) but I'm worried they'll erase the storage so I gotta back everything up first. I spent my last point balance on Excitebike World Rally, that Pinball Crush remake, and re-bought Tormena Sanner since the iOS version, like so many of THAT library, will not work anymore nor is available for re-download and probably won't ever again. (And to think I used to believe that powerful tablets/phones with all-digital libraries, bluetooth controllers, and HDMI output cables would make mobile gaming both more premium-AAA and viable as a core gaming platform. Wrong-o, but the Switch ironically enough is fulfilling that very well!)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Eh, I haven't bothered checking out what the price would be to have it fixed. Plus I'm in Canada so chances are when you add in shipping and the exchange rate etc. it could wind up being more than having it repaired. Plus, with used optical drive systems you never know what else it's been through. (Side anecdote: who else remembers the Wii general thread back in the day devolving into a multi-page tangent about smoking when it was revealed that the system's internals were susceptible to malfunctioning via cig smoke?)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

One of these years I gotta grab a New 3DS XL before they get discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know if any new ones are being made, but I still see the "galaxy" one in stores a lot. FB Marketplace/Craigslist has no shortage of them either.

Ditto, that's kind of what I meant. I can't imagine that they'll still be at retailers by the end of this year though. Amazon, maybe.