Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I have two surveys at 10 coins each left, but that will get me to 440 after the probably awful quality messenger bag. I don't have any classic controllers for the Wii U, though, so the amount of games available is limited to NES games, four SNES titles a few GBA games, or Dr. Luigi. I already have the physical NES Remix disc. I'd get Paper Mario or Majora's Mask for the N64 and leave the rest of the coins to rot if I could play it with the Wii U game pad. Any suggestions? I'm thinking The Lost Levels and something else, but being 10 coins short keeps Earthbound and most of the Wii VC titles out of the running. The only games I'd rather stay away from are the NES games from ~1985. I've already played all of them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

If 3DS is an option, Mario's Picross owns bones.

If not, get a 3DS.

I wish. I'd have gotten a 3DS game instead of the messenger bag. I had to sell my 3DS XL last year to pay a few student loan payments.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

Ah, dang, I know the feeling of needing to sell poo poo to pay for things. :smith::hf::smith:

Club Nintendo is finally loading for me, so I'm looking through what's an option. Super Mario World and Super Metroid have infinite replayability to me. I'd likely stay away from Yoshi's Island because it's the GBA version-- personally I enjoy all the more modern Yoshi sounds they added to the game (I'm probably the only person) but I feel overall graphical and sound quality takes a hit due to being GBA. The rest I'm indifferent about mostly because they're either dated or I've played them a million times. Super Mario Bros 3 is always fun, I guess!

Alternatively, check out this post for ways to earn extra coins if you haven't seen it already.

Thanks. I saw the post but I thought they were all 3DS titles. I didn't see the Wii U stuff listed.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

On a related note, are any of the other retail WiiU games or the Paper Mario game for the 3DS a better deal coins-wise?

W101 is the only Wii U game worth the coins, imo. Wii Fit U requires the balance board and Game & Wario is the worst of the Wario games. Sticker Star is also the worst Paper Mario game. That being said, I picked up W101 for $26 at Gamestop and I've seen Sticker Star for $15-20 online. 100 fewer coins for a better game seems worth it to me. Even in the off chance the gold/plat games aren't better choices, you can just flip the code on SA Mart or eBay.

The big downside is that W101 is around 12 GB digitally.

edit: Not 18-19. I don't know why I thought it was that big.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 4, 2015

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

MisterAlex posted:

What're y'all talking about... Y-cables? Wall adapters? My Wii's USB HDD is bus-powered with just one cable.

It is Nintendo's fault a USB 2.0 port (which was designed in the year 2000 and not updated power-wise until like 2007) cannot power a drive that requires more than 500 mA, apparently. Nintendo is loving us(b) again.

Get a 2.5" drive that requires 500 mA or less to power and you can do it in a single cable. If you needed to use a wall adapter or USB splitter, your drive's power requirement is the issue, not the system.

edit: Nintendo could have put a USB 3.0 port on the system, but you'd still need a 3.0 cable or else the ports would drop down to 500 mA max output. Pretty significant cost increase per unit for a feature that a small percentage of users (compared to the total number of Wii U owners) would use.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 3, 2016

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Spacebump posted:

It's too bad Nintendo won't just let the gamepad act 100% like a classic controller when you enter vWii mode. I'd consider buying more random games on the Wii shop. (and it'd be cool to play my Sega games with the gamepad.)

But then they couldn't charge you again for the "upgrade." I used the last of my CN coins on Paper Mario for the Wii and then had the pleasure of paying another $2 or so to play it with the controller that came with the system.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

The first 13 years of Nintendo Power has been archived online for free.

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Thanks for this. I started looking through early/mid-90s Game Pros recently and NP would be cool to flip through. Didn't get my own subscription until early 1997. It'll be nice staring at Nintendo ads instead of Game Pro 900 number ads.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

According to their twitter, it adds:
-FM music, plus a sound test in the menu
-a 20-map "Armageddon" chapter
-a new extra-hard difficulty (Hell+)
-mid-map class switching at the castle (press L or R on the castle)
-additional post-stage portraits
-hold L from them menu when entering a map to disable screen shake
-hold X+Y+R and enter a cutscene to access the cutscene viewer

I opened the wrong bookmarked thread and thought this was an update for Earth Defense Force. I was very excited about a new difficulty and mid-mission class switching. :sigh:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I know it's not an eShop sale, but FYI: Target has at least 4 Wii U games on Clearance. Xenoblade Chronicles X is $30, while Mighty No 9, NES Remix, and Bayonetta 2 are $15 each. They were showing 30% off over the weekend but dropped to 50% off today. Picked up the second-to-last copy of Bayonetta 2 (just B2, not the one that includes B1, as if any of those would still be around by now) and third-to-last copy of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Re: XCX: Are there any updates for the game beyond the four packs that speed up loading times? I had to commit data genocide on my internal storage to free up just enough space for all four packs, but I'm SOL if there are any decent-sized game updates.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

There's only been a couple of small updates adding subtitles in other languages, I don't think they're that big, but I have an obscenely large hard drive attached to mine so I wouldn't have noticed :shrug:

I have the 500gb HDD I pulled out of the ps4 but I still haven't bought an enclosure yet. I was also worried about Nintendo Land and SM3DW disappearing from my account since they came preinstalled. Looks like they're still available to download if I go to the second tab for software already installed (even though they aren't).

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

pnumoman posted:

Is DQ7 worth getting? I have a decent backlog to get through but I am curious about it.

If it's not amazing and just good, I can easily wait until it goes on sale, or my backlog is gone.

Can't attest to the 3DS version (yet) but DW7 was the first and only PSX RPG I rented and could not complete before I had to return it. It's very, very long and while the story isn't exactly compelling, the job system more than makes up for it. I'm not going to be able to get it for a while, but the 3DS remake is my most anticipated portable title of this year so I hope it's good.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

A great way to spend the remainder of my eshop balance. I just hope they don't disable it before I get a chance to play it for a while. :v: Sadly enough, this is the second-to-last Wii U game Nintendo is going to publish and the last Wii U exclusive. I had to delete XCX data to make room for Paper Mario and, sadly, you can't just choose which of the DLC to delete, which means I get to redownload whatever will fit afterwards.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

EP, how do I get the white spot in Plum Park on the trees in the top left of the second screen north? It's above water. I tried riding the barrel down the waterfall and that didn't work.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

greatn posted:

Yeah the bridge was the main thing I was missing. Did that and have 97% now. I'm fairly sure the entrance pipe is the last 3%, the square block around where it bends but I can't figure out how to get the gently caress over there, can't jump and Mario just goes right back in the pipe

It isn't the pipe. Something else is missing. Sometimes spots are hard to see (especially in that level) because the ground is already pale in spots.

Thanks for the Plum Park info. I don't think I would have ever found it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

greatn posted:

Anyone help me find a couple paint spots I'm missing? At train depot I am at 98% and can't find another spec of white anywhere.

And at Mario 3 video zone I am actually at 0% and haven't found a dang thing I can paint. I'd like to paint it all before going over the rainbow, and those are the only two levels I don't have 100%

In the depot, I was stuck at 98% until I stumbled upon one of the bigger red boxes and noticed some white on it. Kinda hard to see with the lighting. It was in the second screen from the start. Haven't gotten to anything involving Mario 3 yet so I can't comment on that part. Did you also go back up the coal shaft and check that area?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I think I've convinced myself to get rid of my Wii U in order to make room for a Switch, but I'm a little confused as to whether the two games that came preinstalled on the refurbished system from Nintendo will be available to the eventual buyer. I have to wipe my NNID from the system because I have 3DS software I don't want to lose, so they'll obviously lose out on my VC games and Paper Mario: Color Splash, but what about Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World? They were already on the system when I bought it. Does linking a NNID to the system then register those two titles to the account or will they still be able to download them from the eShop with their own NNID?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Ok, thanks. Just trying to get everything ready for a listing and I wasn't sure if the preinstalled games were somehow tied to the hardware rather than a NNID account. I thought about unlinking my NNID, creating a new one, and going to the eShop with the new one to see if they were available afterwards but it'd be a hassle.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I haven't noticed any issues like that in about 20 hours of Isaac while using the Pro controller but there is a white, plastic powder building up on the inner curves of the two analog sticks. I switched to the face buttons because I don't want to wear down the right analog stick. Reminds me of the gray residue left over when the N64 stick was wearing down too much.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Color Splash is pretty good (even though I had issues with beating a steak and gave up after 3-4 tries) but you could also spend $30-40 and get the Superstar Saga remake that comes out on October 6. It's not quite your birthday, but you'll be treating yo self just the same. I think it's going to be better than both of those options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, I maxed out the Dragon Quest Builders demo on the switch. If I buy the full game, do I keep my save? I'd totally not buy if it I can't do that cause I spent a stupid amount of time working on my starter base and I'll just keep playing the demo if that's the case.

Everyone said the PS4 version didn't allow it, but nobody has confirmed on switch. That seems like a terribly stupid thing to do, more so if they didn't listen to everyone the first time around.

No, it doesn't transfer. There's also no real point because you wind up moving onto a new area anyway. If you do get the game, just do the bare minimum required for the demo area again and move on with the game. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.