Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They've given no word about the WiiU VC other than it's coming in a spring update and the three games released so far show off what the emulator can do like remap controls and off-screen play. There will also be GBA games too. No word on Gamecube games but they are re-releasing an improved Wind Waker this fall on disc and most likely digitally as well, which says to me any Gamecube re-releases will be their own thing and not connected to the Virtual Console. But that is just a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I never owned any Sega systems growing up, how is Shining Force?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Digital gets you those sweet sweet $5 voucher credits, which is really what made me pick that route instead of physical. If it's a game I know I want to pay full price for (I am a big proponent of voting with your wallet) and want to keep around I'll download it to the 2 terabyte HD I got last fall for real cheap. Otherwise I'll look for discounted retail discs for things I'm interested in but don't want to keep forever. It's been working pretty well so far.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The XL comes with a charger, just not the base that you can rest it on like the regular size one. Nintendo sells the charging bases for the XL, I bought one off of their website earlier this year when I picked up a system.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That is stupid.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My 3DS was stolen like three months ago and I had to go through the whole process. It took about two weeks of back and forth with Nintendo and the local police department but I ended up getting a credit for the things I had purchased and new codes for the Club Nintendo games I had downloaded. It wasn't a giant pain and I was able to get some different games then the ones I had initially purchased which was cool. The overall best idea is to just not lose the thing, haha.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

univbee posted:

Oh good, I was hoping to get some formal information about this. To clarify, the stuff that was no longer available (e.g. Ambassador games) they just gave back to you, and everything else was basically a refund into your Nintendo account?

What they ended up saying was "we'll email you codes for the Club Nintendo stuff, and your eShop account will have X amount of credit in the wallet next time you log in". I don't have any of the Ambassador games but when you call Nintendo one of their menu options is about that program so I am pretty sure if you have registered your 3DS on their website and have it linked with a Club Nintendo account they will be able to see what you have downloaded and could flag your system. But that is just based on my assumptions and my experience with them so I cannot say for certain.

As a rundown for anyone interested, this is what I did.

1) After it was clear my system was stolen, I went to the police station and filed a stolen item report.
2) I called Nintendo, explained the situation, provided a bunch a info such as serial number, club nintendo number, email, address and I had to name some of the games on my account.
3) Faxed their administration department with the police report and the above info, as well as the issue number they provided me with from my previous call.
4) Waited a week or so, called them back and got new codes/credit.

This all took about three weeks, mostly because of the time it takes for the police to file a report, the business days it takes the administration at Nintendo to do their job and one incident where I was told the form I had faxed wasn't the police report. I ended up providing them with the contact info the the local police department and they called the next day to verify it was a real one. So it wasn't effortless but considering I had well over $150 worth of stuff downloaded it was worth the time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Who is in control of deciding what/when VC games get released because I want to write a bunch of angry emails asking what the gently caress the holdup is and why I can't literally throw cash at them to download a dozen games from a decade ago.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I guess I want to know who at Nintendo thinks that and how can I tell him he's wrong and maybe shove him a little while doing it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Spacebump posted:

Every time you do a Club Nintendo survey mention the bad release schedule.

I do, every time. But that feels like I'm screaming into the abyss, is anyone really listening? And besides, I want to know how the decision to release Donkey Kong 3 instead of any other Nintendo owned game was made. Like others have said, why the gently caress isn't Link to the Past up on the WiiU VC with Link Between Worlds just coming out, or Mario and literally any other unreleased Mario VC game. If we were just talking about third party games I could maybe understand a delay with the legal stuff involved but with stuff that Nintendo made and owns I just don't get it.

Yes I am kinda annoyed that I can't spend money on games I have already owned but I am a big child.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm a gross enough consumer that I don't even mind paying for the game twice IF it meant I could carry save data back and forth. As it is, why would I want The Legend of Zelda on both?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's sad how excited I am to rebuy games I've already beaten!

I'm such a classic game whore, I can't help it. Sure I could just pirate the stuff but I'm an adult damnit and I'm gonna pay for my electronic toy machine games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Whenever it does end up coming out can't come soon enough, the last trailer really sold me on the game. It looks dope as gently caress.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I have been amassing a sweet collection of Gameboy games using Club Nintendo Points. Kirby's Pinball Land, here I come!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Googling brought up this:

quote:

Haggling/Story-Unlocking Games
1st game: $2.00
2nd game: $1.90
3rd game: $1.80
4th game: $1.70
5th game: $1.60
6th game: $1.00

Discount Coupon Games
All four games: $1.50

The lowest price for all games comes in at $16. And $1.50 appears to be the lowest you can get the Discount Coupon games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
As someone with really limited time to play anything, even the current slim WiiU VC offerings have been enough to keep me occupied. And even if there's something I really want to play, there's the Wii VC mode and the potential to get it for a dollar when/if it comes to the WiiU VC. Yeah, everything should be up on the WiiU VC but it's not and there are still easy ways to get that content if you want it.

Plus even though they're doing a not that great job of it Nintendo is still the only option for legal retro console gaming and I appreciate that, I'm old enough to afford games I want to play and I want to show companies that there is an actual interest in older stuff so they keep it around and don't let it disappear into the junk bin. Every time I fill out a play survey on their website I complain about the pace and selection of WiiU VC titles so hopefully other people do that too and maybe they'll respond.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

uPen posted:

There aren't any good Yoshi's Island games.

Hey what is with this lovely opinion and people trying to claim one of the best SNES games isn't excellent?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They should have had like, I dunno, an unreleased game as a platinum reward or something. I already own most of the games they're offering because I'm the kind of person who spends enough on Nintendo stuff to get to platinum in the first place!

Oh well, not mad or anything I just think it's a wasted opportunity to give platinum members an actual 'special' reward to pick from. I'm more interested in different coin reward games and the physical stuff they stock on the site. Hopefully they add more cool stuff there in the future.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I played Kid Icarus and only watched the 12 minute long walk through movie and already this game is awesome.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Inacio posted:

I was surprised to see that the game doesn't look pretty at all.

Hahaha what the heck, it looks amazing and it runs smooth as poo poo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ugh you guys weren't kidding, what a garbage selection.

I would really be interested in finding out who comes up with these promotions and why they pick the games they do. It's so maddening to see them sit on a giant library of stuff and not use it for some unknown reason.

Anyway, considering I bought FE:A and KI:U last round a week without spending any money is a good thing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I kinda love how Nintendo updates the theme for the eShop depending on the date. The sweet Halloween music and bad Halloween puns this week are adorable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

codenameFANGIO posted:

Uhhh what are they alleging is the advantage to buying this version?? Because it sounds awful.

It's on the 3DS, that's about it really.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Fantasy Life is a single player MMO. Kill 10 of blank. Harvest 5 whatevers. Collect rare components to make weapons, armor, and cosmetic stuff.

It's really fun. And it's smartly designed too, you can always warp back to your Master and you can skip the intro quests for each Life if you don't feel like doing it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Speaking of Wii VC, I've got 1200 points still on there, barring any N64 games (Because I own most of them already) what would be some personal goon recommendations?

Chrono Trigger or FF6. Or get two other classic controllers and two friends and play Secret of Mana.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The sad fact is that Nintendo doesn't see much money to make so they won't make older emulation a priority. Couple that with the fact that a lot of people feel paying more than 99 cents for a ROM is a rip off, so there's even less reason for Nintendo to do much. Personally, I think their giant backlog of games spanning 30 years should be something they celebrate and push to everyone as much as possible but they think otherwise.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They're perfect ROMs, right down to the slowdown.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus Christ, dude, it's just a Pokemon.

Gotta catch em all, motherfucker.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Stan Taylor posted:

Apparently it plays like mega man. Either way, its one of those earlyish eshop games like Mutant Mudds, Steam World Dig, and Dillons Rolling Western that came highly recommended from general 3DS internet places and the rest of those games suck so I'm fine with ignoring this one too.

Um, Steamworld Dig rules??

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You like Castlevania, don't you?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Spacebump posted:

I really wish that Club Nintendo was giving out Zelda 2 for 3DS instead of the Wii U.

Seriously, I have been holding off buying it for months, waiting to see if it would pop up as a Club Nintendo reward. I guess I'll have to wait for a sale and buy it instead.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Are the Dillon Rolling Western games worth playing? I can either get them both or use the coins to give my friend some free games. Help me decide to be selfish or not guys!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Alright, thanks for the replies. I hope he likes Urban Champion :getin:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, for the Wii (not U) version of Star Fox 64... what are the controller options? I'm also thinking about dropping $10 on that game so that I can play it on my big screen, but Wii controls have ruined a fair few good games for me.

You need a Wii Classic Controller attachment to play N64 games. Look online at Gamestop and see if any local stores have them in stock, I was able to score two of them for like $12 each a few months ago because my roommates wanted to play Mario Party 2.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am browsing it right now.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've gotten that a few times and it usually resolved itself by refreshing a few times. But lately it's been logging in, just taking a few minutes to actually do so.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So does anyone actually know what the Mii Plaza VIP thing does? I love all of the Mii games and will definitely be getting the fishing and zombie one but don't know if I should bother with the other one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You people have both the smallest and largest hands ever, I can't imagine what kind of death grip you're using to find any system controller designed since the N64 uncomfortable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That still doesn't make it uncomfortable to hold for extended periods of time. But whatever, to each their own. I have bad circulation in my hands and extended use of some controllers makes them get numb but that's not because of their design or anything and I can't see how someone can blame the controller for their discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am playing Paper Mario right now thanks to this thread. It's a little blurry since it's an N64 game but I love the art style so much. I want to replay TTYD so bad now, please release it so I can spend money on it Nintendo.