Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Just finished little inferno...

Am I supposed to reconsider my whole life after that game? :psyduck:

Yea I don't know, the way everyone was talking about it I felt like it was building towards some kind of insight, but at the end I felt pretty unsatisfied. I loved the games style though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I loved the art style of Gunman Clive and definitely thought it was worth the 2bux. I only got about an hour and ten minutes of gameplay out of it, but I didn't finish the game with the Damsel. Doing the pacifist run as the duck was pretty awesome though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Gunman Clive isn't shovelware :colbert: Just in case we aren't done proving our point yet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm glad I looked this up again because it looks much better in motion than it does in screenshots, where it looks awful. I'll probably pick this up, thanks! My 3DS has just been collecting dust since release, basically.

I thought it was a pretty charming game for the $2 dollar price tag. The game has a megaman vibe to it in regards to gameplay. It's a little on the short side, but there is some replayability with extra characters and again it's only 2bux so I was ok with the length.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Revol posted:

I understand you don't want to compare SMW to 99 cent smartphone games. Guess what? You have to. That is its competition. They're both in the market of low-price digital downloads. The market for this is set very low, though.

All I'm trying to say is... if the consumer has the option between a $1 Angry Birds game or an $8 Mario game, they're likely to choose Angry Birds. But if that Mario game is instead $3, I think Nintendo is going to sell a lot more of the game, and make more money in the end.

Are you really comparing Angry Birds to SMW? This is just a troll post isn't it?

You can't buy Nintendo games on cell phones, so no that's not their competition. If the only place to buy these games digitally are on the Wii and Wii U, then Nintendo gets to set the price. I'm not even trying to argue that the prices are good or bad for the VC games since that's completely subjective much like your ranting, but my point is there's absolutely no reason to expect Nintendo or anyone else to price games according to lovely $1 dollar cell phone games.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're getting SMB2, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Metroid next week. Does that help ease the pain at all?

Someone will find something to complain about.

Do we have any kind of ETA on the Luigi DLC on the Wii U? I really wish they would have let it be known from the beginning there was potential for that kind of DLC before I sold my copy :smith:.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I read the first post I promise! Also now that I see that article i'm sure I read that as well at some point. I think I just assumed it was going to be more like bonus levels to play modes like they did with coin rush or whatever and less likely that it would be almost a new game entirely with Luigi.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I hadn't intended on getting SMB2, but if they are going to give it to me for half price since I bought Super Mario World then I have no choice...well played Nintendo!

Also if/when someone plays it I wouldn't mind hearing impressions of Swords & Soldiers 3D.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'd bet almost anything that person's TV is giving him input lag. I noticed it as well in comparison to how well SMW controlled on the gamepad only.

If you have this problem, see if your TV has a "gamemode" option and turn that on, it fixed the input lag for me while playing on my TV.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I think the Yoshi puzzle game is pretty terrible, but it will be worth it for the .30 cents just for the +10 points you get for club Nintendo.

Edit: Also i'm 3 points away exactly from another $5 code through the digital deluxe program :dance:.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 6, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

:911:

There are people streaming it on twitch if anyone wants to check it out. I'm watching this guy : http://www.twitch.tv/jayfermont

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

You can get around the tax while using a credit card for purchases, I'm not going to detail it out because I don't know if it's kosher since it's technically tax evasion. It's really not that hard to figure out though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Needing both systems to be present for a transfer of accounts is loving stupid. Have Nintendo not heard of trade-ins?

Actually, this makes a lot of sense - the 3DS XL doesn't even come with a charger; they assume you already own the original. I guess they really do expect people who want the XL to buy and keep both for no reason.

Check with whomever you are buying it from if you can do the transfer in store, if they have wifi, or if you can buy the system and do the trade-in afterwards. Gamestop will let you do this, but I guess you aren't in the US if you don't get a charger.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

The T posted:

There will always exist people who have enough income to spend $60 on a game to get it on release day, even if it goes down in price a week later.

Having sales a week or a month later also amasses a large amount of people who will never pay full price. I'll never ever pay full price for a PC game or anything I can get on steam, but I will pay full price for some Nintendo games and some PS4 games.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

gently caress you Nintendo for making more games available on the Wii U :argh:.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

numerrik posted:

Cross posting from the Wii U thread; planning to get castlestorm what are your thoughts?

I bought it and ehh, it's ok I guess. There's kind of a lot going on as you have to summon troops to attack your opponents troops, occasionally control a hero character and also attack your opponents castle. There's a ton of upgrades between those three methods of attack. The game gradually eases you into all of that, but eventually I got frustrated/stressed by the difficulty of the later levels. If I remember correctly they kind of dropped the ball with the gamepad usage, could have been a lot more in depth.

Isn't it like $10-15 on the Wii U? Who knows if it would ever go on sale, but I'd feel a lot better about the purchase if it was $5-8 dollars.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 1, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Comparing PS+ to Club Nintendo doesn't make any sense. I don't get anything by purchasing $60 games for the PS4. I have to pay separately to get the PS+ deals.

From Club Nintendo I've got a gold nunchuck, a 3DS charging crate, a Zelda soundtrack, 3 Zelda posters, buttons, playing cards, a nice pouch to hold my 3DS, more posters that I forgot about, a ton of games for 150 points and a lot of other poo poo i'm forgetting all for doing what I do normally...buying Nintendo games and taking an insignificant amount of time to fill out some surveys.

Yea gently caress Nintendo and their lovely "free" service for overcharging us.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 7, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The specifics of how each functions is different, obviously. You're both missing the point. Whether you're buying a subscription or a continuous supply of games, spending a continuous amount of money on each platform results in receiving additional games at no extra charge (as PS+ already includes discounts on games you can keep). Is it fair to compare the rewards of a subscription based program to a free rewards program? Nope! Unfortunately Nintendo invite these comparisons because they have no rewards program that provides equivalent value. Nintendo has no program that is analogous to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Games with Gold. So people pointing to other means of getting free or practically free games on other platforms is inevitable.

They've got the 10% point thing for the Wii U, in which case I would say yea it's an incredibly lovely value/deal compared to something like PS+. People are quick to forget about the $30 eshop gift card deal they had, the buy two get one free deal/deals, the .30 cent promotion and the buy a system and get a free game deals.

Specifically though, I'm pointing out how strange it is to put a dollar value on something that you would be doing normally. I mean, it sounds kind of strange to say something like, "You are an idiot if you don't register your games, because those 50-60 points are worth $50-60 dollars towards these $200 dollar nintendo games that you could purchase for $5-8 dollars if you really wanted to."

It's like playing the monopoly game at McDonalds and being pissed off that you spent $10 dollars on food and all you won was a free coke.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Silver95280 posted:

Are there any good WiiWare games on the Wii shop? I have 2200 almost forgotten points to burn. And its pretty obvious that the shop isn't getting any more updates.

My favorite Wiiware games were Final Fantasy: My Life as a King and Final Fantasy: My Life as a Darklord. My Life as a King is part town building simulator and part RPG. You don't actually go out and fight anything though, you have town people you train and send on missions. *Warning* about that game though, the framerate gets kind of rough when your town gets huge.

My Life as a Darklord is a tower defense like game. You have a tower/castle and enemies are inside and you have to fill it with various traps to kill them.

I haven't enjoyed a console Final Fantasy game since the SNES and I still really enjoyed these games.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 20, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I was hitting 600+ foot homeruns thanks to the bat carving mini-game. Was worth it. Initially I had negative feelings about Rusty's Baseball, then I tried it and realized how wrong I was. Rusty's got like 10 kids to feed, throw him a couple of dollars!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Desrever posted:

I can barely brake 400. How are all you guys getting over 600?

I wish I knew, I couldn't replicate the bat I made that was hitting 600+ feet homeruns while trying to make a bat that maybe could hit them farther.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Any amount of GBA games released per week would never satisfy the same people in the thread who complain about virtual console games every time something is or isn't released.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

njsykora posted:

Wait, the Wii U version of Transistor isn't out this week? Also didn't you say 2 posts ago Picross e4 was this week?

Klonoa Empire of Dreams is pretty good, but it is very puzzle heavy and gets really nasty towards the end. It also is not a friend of large displays as I found out when I LP'd it a few years ago.

Transistor is Steam and PS4 only at the moment, I don't think they have even mentioned Wii U.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Two bits of NA-related news:

-Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS) will be on sale for $19.99 from June 1-15

-Nicalis has confirmed that 1001 Spikes will be out for Wii U and 3DS on June 3, same day as all the other platforms. The standard price is $14.99, if you own any of Nicalis' previous 3DS eShop releases (VVVVVV, Nightsky, Cave Story+, Ikachan, Grinsia) you'll be able to get the 3DS version for $10. (He's also confirmed that the launch version is gonna be buggy. Surprise surprise!)

They should give me 1001 Spikes for free after tricking me into paying money for Ikachan.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Akuma posted:

I threw away my Wii a couple of months ago because I never saw myself hooking it up again. Now I've been gifted a Wii U I wish I'd hung onto it for a while to transfer all of my stuff. If only Nintendo operated their various stores like any other console maker! Looking through my download purchase history on my Club Nintendo account is taunting me :(

You mean like PS3 to PS4 and Xbox 360 to Xbox One? Oh wait neither of them allowed you to transfer any games forward. Maybe you shouldn't have thrown away your Wii and you wouldn't be having a problem.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

It was the only backwards compatible console and all you needed to do was have your Wii. On top of that, at the very least I would have got the $50+ trade in value instead of just throwing it away.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

All you had to do was not sell or throw your Wii away, in all other circumstances there are no issues. It's certainly not ideal, but there's no one here to blame but yourself.

In your hypothetical situation, Gamestop would let you trade the Wii in after the transfer towards what you paid for the Wii U and give you that money back or give you store credit. If you did absolutely any research at all on a purchase of a Wii U, you would know this and avoid losing what you had on a Wii. I'm sure it happens, but it's easily avoidable.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 6, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Picked up Cave Story due to the sale, already had the DSi version but hey can't ever have too many copies of Cave Story. :v:

Ikachan worth the $2.50 or would it be better to just play the PC version?

Ikachan is like 15-20 minutes long, it's more like a demo than an actual game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Might have meant zero reason to play because this exists: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Definitely not my favorite TCG, but I still got a lot of playtime out of playing the free online version.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

There are a lot of great choices, unfortunately I own everything I would be interested in. Also kind of disappointed it's not a physical item of some sort, but not going to complain too much about a free game.

I would suggest that if you have a Wii U and haven't bought either of the Nes Remix games the first one is pretty great, more challenging than the second one which is either good or bad depending on how you want to look at it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

NA dudes, note that the Fire Emblem game that's being released today will also be on sale for 30% off, alongside a bunch of other games.

Is it actually coming out in NA as well or are you playing cruel games with my heart?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

It keeps people like me from trading the game in when I stop playing it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Did anyone in NA end up buying The Keep last week? I heard it was actually pretty good.

It looks interesting, but I'm still waiting to here some goon opinions.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Is Pokemon Rumble U good at all? I don't really know much about those games other than they're like Final Fight with Pokemon.

I don't know that I would call it good, but it's not terrible. The fighting is really basic, if you want to zone out and button mash for a few hours I guess someone might find it enjoyable. There are some challenges that are really annoying like "Beat this level after 6pm on the weekend", I might be exaggerating a bit but some of the challenges were really stupid.

While you play you get a ton of pokemon to use and I also remember there being pretty poor sorting between all your pokemon and maybe you need a level 5 pokemon to beat a mission but you got so many pokemon that your lowest level is 10 and now you need to replay missions trying to get low level pokemon.

Ok maybe it is kind of terrible.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Are we never going to get that GBA Fire Emblem game in the US :argh:?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Is that World of Keflings game new or the same thing that was on Xbox 360?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I am waiting on the edge if my seat to see what new stuff Club Nintendo gets. They are a day late! Nintendo, Nov 16 was yesterday!

I feel like it gets later and later each month.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I played all the way through Watch_Dogs and thought it wasn't bad, had a lot of fun with some of the side games. I couldn't make it past 4 hours into GTA5 unless I wanted to die of boredom. I also thought Sticker Star was a great game, maybe I just like bad games.

Edit: But yea gently caress the full price bullshit. At the most it should have been $40 and I think that's pushing it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

How is Mario Pinball Land? I don't even think I knew the game existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

ProfZoom posted:

Jumping on the Wii U train this week and browsing through the eShop today. How is D&D: Chronicle of Mystara? I bought it on Steam a while back, but on top of there being absolutely no one online to play it with, my laptop doesn't run it smoothly.

I think I got 7-8 hours of enjoyment out of it, but you won't find anyone playing online on the Wii U either. It was also on sale a few weeks ago, so it might go on sale again at some point.