Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Minidust posted:

drat, so if I buy something on the original VC, games will be stretched to fill a 16:9 screen, with no way to change it? Or is that a region-specific problem like that 50Hz thing I keep hearing about?

All widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic, which is still true for Wii mode on Wii U. This means that even when you're in widescreen mode for a widescreen TV, what you're technically getting is a 4:3 signal that's designed to be stretched out.

VC games don't do this because that would require compressing the image horizontally and distorting it, so those titles just send the 4:3 signal as-is. Which means you have to tell your TV not to stretch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Now we just need to convince them to use a better scaling algorithm than a simple bilinear filter (shhhh, let me imagine a world where people notice these things).

EDIT: They did this! F-Zero has a much more pixel-friendly scaling method. Yaaaaay!

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't think the Wii actually transmitted any video signals at 240p, even for VC games. The home menu definitely isn't that low-res, and NES games seamlessly transition to it when you hit the home button.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The regular 3DS and the XL have the same resolution, any blurring would be present on either.

DS and virtual console games can be played in two modes; by default, they're scaled to fill the screen, which results in blurring that isn't friendly to pixel art. If you hold start/select, you can display them at the original, lower resolution for a crisper image.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I just looked it up and it would seem that each 3DS screen has the same vertical resolution as the NES, so the separate modes aren't necessary for those titles.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Some people get freaked out by the Switch Force art style, but I can't believe for a second that these wacky anime ladies are actually intended to titillate. They're just too goofy.

That actually makes it more weird. They're not supposed to be sexy, but they're sexualized anyway. Why can't they just be regular cute cartoon girls instead of cute T&A cartoon girls? Their games play and look great otherwise, but this is a consistent creepy thing Wayforward does.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 21, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

StevenM posted:

They're the developers. Creators are entitled to the final say in their work, unless the money they're working for says otherwise.

I didn't realize criticism was impeding on developer free speech or whatever, but okay??

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It just seems like a completely pointless thing to say as a response to a criticism. I can't think of a less substantial thing to say about anything. No poo poo they're creating for themselves/profit, the content is still up for commentary.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

greatn posted:

While that is a pretty weak virtual console with just two NES games, let me say, Solomon's Key is a hidden gem, just an excellent puzzle platformer. You have to place and remove platforms to get a key and get to the exit while avoiding enemies. With save states now I might actually be able to finish. It might seem like one of those "They're releasing this obscure thing I've never heard of for five dollars?!" ones but it is honestly up there with some of Nintendo's high quality NES franchises. It ain't Ice Climbers or Urban Champion. Thank you Dana.

While I'd rather see 3 or 4 games a week and more SNES representation, they're at least managing to put out one thing that interests me each week. SMW, Mega Man, Solomon's Key, and Super Metroid make a decent string of consecutive weekly highlights.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Capcom seems interested in getting a steady stream of releases out on both VC platforms, so I figure it probably won't be too long before we see MMX as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Artix posted:

I had that issue at first, and brace yourself for some heresy, but I found using the stick to actually work pretty well. It's not quite as precise, but it stopped loving up my wall jumping, so it's worth a shot at least. Haven't tried it with Shinesparking yet, though.

Even on the original Wii VC I found wall-jumping easier with the stick, not sure why.

Super Metroid already had button mapping, but I appreciate being able to customize controls even more now. Setting a trigger to dash makes life easier.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

I hardly bought any Wii VC titles. Nintendo needs to have more eShop sales. Idiots like me will keep buying the same game if it's on sale.

Next week is Kirby week (Dream Course, Superstar, Dream Land 3), so they'll probably be doing the same buy-2-get-3 promo as they did in Japan. I'm sure a lot of it is experimentation at this point, but I hope it continues.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As far as I'm concerned, if the VC has at least one game worth getting each week, then that's fine. So far so good!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The secret to success in the Mega Man X series: map dash to a trigger.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It works, but it's less instantaneous and doesn't work for all techniques. It's just better to have it as an instant button that you can conveniently access without taking your thumb off jump and shoot (especially in X2 and X3 when you get air dashing).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, the flagship Mario game doesn't work with the Pro Controller? As in, the alternative controller they introduced right alongside the console to play any game a player wouldn't want to use the tablet with? That's incredibly shortsighted.

I think Nintendo initially viewed the Wii remote as the natural secondary controller, and the Pro Controller as a niche accessory for core gamers. That obviously doesn't make a lot of sense considering the Gamepad's layout, but hopefully this signals a shift towards emphasizing the Pro.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's an unusual degree of tinkering with the ROM, but self-explanatory.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Capcom seems to be way more enthusiastic about releasing VC titles than any other third party, so I wouldn't be surprised if they really were the ones who took the initiative to roll out Game Gear Mega Man.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've got my fingers crossed that that's the NA update too (since we already have this week's PAL release).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I checked Nintendo's site for new listings, and it looks like Pilotwings is scheduled for July 4th in NA, but nothing mentioned for this week.

(That doesn't mean there's nothing new this week; these listings don't consistently show up in advance)

This is the general link you can check to spot new VC titles. Listings also sometimes show up in advance in the eShop, or get trailers on Youtube. But none of these ways of checking are consistently reliable.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 26, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's especially odd because a month ago we were getting some seriously great weekly VC updates. You'd think that July would be the month where they put out some big titles to counterbalance the lack of retail releases.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hahahaha, of course it's :10bux:

(Still worth it)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Grain of salt because there have been delays to NOA's dates before, but Kid Icarus looks to be part of (or all of) this week's Wii U VC update in NA.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/4VEfb1mlzTaUGhsY1yUtSNJqH8JceAdz

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They'll probably rig up a buy-2-get-1-free promo or something like it, too.

They edited together a trailer for each version, and used the same song for all of them. Take a wild guess which one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crawfish posted:

It's going to be really dumb if it's that. They had a software drought that lasted years and there's a decent chance a normal person would of sold or palmed off the system and its software between then and now.

So it's probably going to be that then.

If you've sold your balance board, then... you don't have a balance board anymore.

I think the spirit of the offer is that since there's multiple components needed for the game (software, board, activity clip dongle thingy), already having a component knocks the price down.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

wii VC ignoring the widescreen settings when 4:3 wiiware titles like contra and castlevania rebirth could handle it fine was just really poor design.

It was a result of the fact that all widescreen on the Wii was anamorphic. For widescreen software, the system would send your TV a "squished" 4:3 signal that was designed to be stretched to 16:9. Meanwhile, for non-widescreen software it would send a 4:3 signal that wasn't designed to be stretched. You'd have to change the setting manually because your TV couldn't tell the difference.

The Wii U's approach to picture formats is obviously less dated, so that's why it was finally possible to patch in a fix.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That would involve compressing those games to 1:1 and then having the TV re-stretch them to 4:3, which would compromise image quality, especially for pixel art. Anamorphic 16:9 uses rectangular pixels, which can create artifacts for games designed with square pixel art (for example, you can see vertical lines of distortion when playing Megaman 9 and 10 in widescreen).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"busy VC schedule"

"Busy" would be if they were maintaining the three-a-week schedule they used to have going (the 3DS never had a period like this, but the Wii U and Wii both did).

The drip approach doesn't even make sense on the Wii U, because there isn't real scarcity to take advantage of; for example, they're touting that SMB3 is coming soon, but SMB3 is already purchasable and playable on a Wii U (just not very conveniently). Surely they'd do better financially by making it less of a hassle to purchase what they're already openly selling?

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 17, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Losing your 3DS is the only circumstance in which you would have to rebuy your digital games, which is the same thing that would happen if you lost your physical carts. Your ownership is definitely not affected by the SD card in any way, a broken system can be sent in to Nintendo, and a new system can have its registrations transferred over.

I agree that an account system should be there to provide more security/convenience than that, but buying your games digitally is no more of an insane risk than carrying your carts around with you in a case.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Also interesting to note about Wii Sports Club is that apparently it will download itself to your console automatically if you opted in to Spotpass software downloads with the latest system update. You'll just turn on your console that day and it'll be there, or in the process of downloading. You also purchase individual sports directly through the game instead of by visiting the eShop.

Seems mainly like a way to reach casual users who have connected their console but haven't really explored digital purchases.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

greatn posted:

I wonder if that would actually get them in trouble with the FTC. I don't mind, but I could see people getting upset at that.

The feature was opt-in with the last system update, everyone with the current version was explicitly given the chance to say yes/no to software downloads. And you can turn it off in the settings. I'm pretty sure that's about all they need to cover their bases, legally.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe they're playing up SMB3 as a quasi-secret release to be announced via Direct? It has an entry on the eShop now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It could be kind of like how they did Earthbound. Announce it's coming in one Direct, announce "it's out today!" in another.

It's definitely silly to do it with a game that you can already get by going into Wii mode, though. It's not scarce or unavailable, it's just inconvenient right now. Not worth any fanfare.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

According to today's Direct, an upcoming 3DS update is going to add Miiverse, as well as let you combine your balance between both eShops.

No mention of linking ownership of VC titles common between both eShops, so that's probably still not happening.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Download race:

If the servers are getting swamped, they seem to be handling it fine.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

For each of these "character weeks", there's been at least one new game they could have added to the VC and didn't. They could have put up LttP for Zelda, SMB3 for Mario, MMX2 for Megaman, and a DKC game for Donkey Kong. It makes no sense not to have done so.

It's baffling the way they turned on the tap for VC games for a little while, then cranked it back down to a drip.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm talking about Wii U releases though. The current lackluster set of promotions is on both systems.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I just checked, and it turns out that despite the badge, Lost Levels is actually just the Wii version:

quote:

System Wii
No. of Players 1 player
Category Action, Import

Go to the Wii Menu on your Wii U to play this game.

Dumb.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The more platforms Nintendo gets on VC the better. Long-term, I think one of the things they need to do is emphasize a digital library of games new and old that you carry with you between current and future platforms.

But it doesn't change that they need to smarten up about scheduling a faster rate of VC releases, getting N64/Genesis/GBA games up, and enabling cross-platform ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I wonder what the deal is with that question mark in the corner of the Gamepad screen for GBA games.

It's probably just something boring, but other VC games haven't had it.