Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
You definitely get to see others' scores, and they even give you as much time as you want (within reason) to figure out how much you want to bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Human Cow posted:

You definitely get to see others' scores, and they even give you as much time as you want (within reason) to figure out how much you want to bet.

This. You're always shown the everyone's scores to the left of the board. It's why you sometimes see people looking in that direction when deciding what to wager on a Daily Double.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 5, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Indian Ocean, guys.... c'mon :psyduck:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
did anyone else notice the rare top row daily double in double jeopardy tonight

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Ein cooler Typ posted:

did anyone else notice the rare top row daily double in double jeopardy tonight

Yes. I thought that just wasn't done.

Lol the island of Maine

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Lol the island of Maine

Yeah, what was the thought process that made two people guess that?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Yeah, what was the thought process that made two people guess that?

I got it right, but my wife guessed Maine because it was “the whitest state.” Clearly post revolution immigration patterns go back in time to determine European naming origins.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My brain kept insisting it was Rhode Island, but I definitely got there eventually.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That wagering was bad and she should feel bad!

Also apparently Jeopardy contestants should study international geography a bit more, 'cause drat.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That was a bad final wager. Why would you ever wager that much if you're in the lead?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That was an insanely easy final jeopardy and the champ wagered very poorly

Was VERY on board with that guy's $6999 daily double wager

Poque fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 19, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Andrew is a giant loving idiot and I look forward to more amazing answers tomorrow like the "intermediate medley" and famous zoologist of Polynesia Jane Goodall.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
which show do you think it was Frank overheard a woman saying she hated in a coffee shop

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1965374/

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

which show do you think it was Frank overheard a woman saying she hated in a coffee shop

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1965374/

The show that sticks out to me on that IMDB list is maybe Totally Spies, but Paw Patrol or Yo-Kai Watch might also be it.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
The Doodlebops fuckin sucks major rocks so it’s probably that

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
yo this game was nuts. 2-way tie for 2nd going into final jeopardy ending in a 51-dollar spread across the board.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You have to have a very high IQ to get today's categories.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
It pains me to announce that Jeopardy is now Bad.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Normally when they do a TV show theme of categories, they do one category that is actually about the TV show, and then the rest of the categories are named from jokes related to that show, but the clues are entirely unrelated

when they did Rick&Morty. not even the Rick and Morty category was actually about the show

like the writers were R and M fans and wanted to acknowledge it, but they thought no one would actually get the clues about the show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well you have to be very smart to understand the nuanced humor of R&M, maybe they didn’t think the contestants were up to scratch.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When that first category lit up I chuckled a bit and then it was cringe all the way down.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

McSpanky posted:

When that first category lit up I chuckled a bit and then it was cringe all the way down.

I missed this episode because of a doctor's appointment, but I knew something was going to lead to cringe when Jeopardy's FB page posted a picture of that specific board in the morning, and the first response was the full R&M "high IQ" copypasta.

Apparently, one of the contestants last night is getting a ton of flak on Twitter, and posted about it on FB, but I don't see why. Was there some sort of egregious error Steve did last night, or was it just general bitching at the contestants thing that Twitter tends to do?

Also, I saw that CNN tweeted or ran a segment about the Flynn clue last night being a Triple Stumper? I only caught it because of it being posted on FB. Steve said it was because there's such a revolving door at the Trump administration, he blanked on that specific one. Another former contestant apparently snapped back by challenging Wolf Blitzer to the podium to defend CNN's honor, complete with a screenshot of the episode during a Celebrity Week where he was deep in the red and getting blown out by Andy Richter.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Only thing I thought was embarrassing was the one contestant's story was that she had two long term friends. That was it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Steve guessed "Agatha Christie" when the clue was about an American author who died in the 1800s so maybe that's what the flak is about

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's the only thing I can think of too? My husband and I made fun of him for it a bit, but I mean, I've also seen far dumber answers given on FJ.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw a few people on Twitter laughing about the Flynn miss. In fairness, there’s been so much chaos in the last year I think expecting someone to remember exactly who did what under pressure is asking a lot.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lmbo poo poo, got picked for a Jeopardy audition and there is literally no way I will pass it. 3 weeks to brush up on presidents, the Bible, geography, and all the other categories I suck at. Anybody who's made it to the audition, got any tips???

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i can give you rundown next week after my audition

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That would be awesome. Mine is on my birthday so I'm going to just have fun with it one way or the other. Good luck!!!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Sirotan posted:

lmbo poo poo, got picked for a Jeopardy audition and there is literally no way I will pass it. 3 weeks to brush up on presidents, the Bible, geography, and all the other categories I suck at. Anybody who's made it to the audition, got any tips???

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Good luck to the both of you; have fun with Maggie if she's there, Glenn and Corina if she isn't.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 7, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Relax. It's a lot of fun, it's not nearly as stressful as you think it's going to be. The test actually feels easier because it's written, so you can always go back and fill in answers to any clues you didn't get earlier if you think of them later on in the test. Have fun!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Lauren looks like a live action Haley from American Dad.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zero One posted:

Only thing I thought was embarrassing was the one contestant's story was that she had two long term friends. That was it.

She followed it up with a story about how her grandpa happens to be old

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they need to do away with the stories.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm convinced Alex is just a robot they plug in every night

I welcome our robot overlord and his promises of cash prizes

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I've heard watching a bunch of episodes back to back helps. This reddit user uploads every episode (the google drive ones get taken down in a couple weeks, so just go for the Daily Motion mirror if it's an older ep).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

El Jeffe posted:

I've heard watching a bunch of episodes back to back helps. This reddit user uploads every episode (the google drive ones get taken down in a couple weeks, so just go for the Daily Motion mirror if it's an older ep).

Nice, thanks. I've got a couple weeks worth waiting for me on my DVR too, probably wait until a bit closer to the audition date to watch them.

Just got the final email confirmation and learned they don't even pay for contestants to travel to LA if you get picked to be on the show, which seems super lame. 0% chance I'll ever make it so w/e, but now I feel bad for all those suckers who lost to Ken Jennings and still got soaked for 2 nights at a Holiday Inn.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you get 1k guaranteed so if you can make it to LA for less than that you're gold

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Nice, thanks. I've got a couple weeks worth waiting for me on my DVR too, probably wait until a bit closer to the audition date to watch them.

Just got the final email confirmation and learned they don't even pay for contestants to travel to LA if you get picked to be on the show, which seems super lame. 0% chance I'll ever make it so w/e, but now I feel bad for all those suckers who lost to Ken Jennings and still got soaked for 2 nights at a Holiday Inn.

If you don't know about it, j-archive.com has a listing of almost all previous episodes (the earlier seasons are more spotty, but the later ones are all there, with a delay of a day or two depending on when the admin gets around to updating it) with all revealed clues and answers. Helps you get into the mindset of how they phrase clues and which responses the writers tend to look for, plus possible tease out mechanics in the wording to help lead contestants to the right response even if they don't exactly know the correct one.

And yeah, airfare isn't included unless you win the last episode of a Wednesday taping day and you become the returning champ for the taping next next Tuesday. Hotel room isn't even bundled, but they give you a Jeopardy contestant rate at the Doubletree that knocks like $50 a night off of your room costs, plus free breakfasts too, which shouldn't matter too much. I managed to get a free night's stay tacked onto my week out there because there was an error in my bill (I originally was going to have 3 people staying in my room which they charged an extra $10 a night for, but my mom cancelled) and the lady behind the counter fixing it zeroed out the last day by mistake, so there's like $150 saved.

Wound up like $500 up after airfare and splitting hotel room costs. Plus the experience was definitely worth it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you get 1k guaranteed so if you can make it to LA for less than that you're gold

Yeah, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Email I got with audition info has the following:

quote:

In fact, even though you are invited to the studio, there is no guarantee that you will appear on the show. 

Sucks to be the alternate, I guess.