Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Calling this woman a "champion" tonight made me laugh. She's not a champion, she was just the survivor of that episode's carnage.

90%+ of J! contestants wouldn’t know a good bet if it hit them on the head—she did the most important part of the show correctly and deserved the win much more than most folks who get a W.

(that said the other two also bet correctly, sucks to get a terribly-written FJ lmao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Seriously how many times do we complain about someone getting that wrong when the right move is obvious, good for her, a W is a W.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
She performed totally fine in her first match, missed a late daily double to be down.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Game's not over until FJ ends. A W is a W. She wagered right for the position she was in and it paid off.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As a southerner, "cell" and "sale" are not homophones.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In case anyone cared, Ken steamrolled the contestants on The Chase so the brain trust producing the game decides to offer a pity prize to the team if they win the final round.

The prize was $250K

Maybe it's me but I wanted the offer to be embarrassing low like a grand. Your team should not be offered a potential six figure win after getting spanked on national TV.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Island Nation posted:

In case anyone cared, Ken steamrolled the contestants on The Chase so the brain trust producing the game decides to offer a pity prize to the team if they win the final round.

The prize was $250K

Maybe it's me but I wanted the offer to be embarrassing low like a grand. Your team should not be offered a potential six figure win after getting spanked on national TV.

I kept meaning to watch this, but I constantly forgot. I doubt they’ll ever rerun it either, so sucks to be me, I guess.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As a southerner, "cell" and "sale" are not homophones.

I thought it was "cell" and "sell", but I wasn't fully paying attention.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Spokes posted:

90%+ of J! contestants wouldn’t know a good bet if it hit them on the head—she did the most important part of the show correctly and deserved the win much more than most folks who get a W.

(that said the other two also bet correctly, sucks to get a terribly-written FJ lmao)

Wasn't James Holzhauer's whole thing basically just adapting gambling tactics to jeopardy?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Calling this woman a "champion" tonight made me laugh. She's not a champion, she was just the survivor of that episode's carnage.

...which made her the champion.

GhostStalker posted:

I’ve noticed that Final categories have seemed to get oddly specific lately, but that just might be the writers trying to lay on some flare and not really hitting their mark. Got tonight’s Final pretty much instantly though.

I don’t even remember this specific Trebek quote and now it’s something I connect more with Richards because he repeats it at the end of every episode. Not that I don’t appreciate the sentiment, but drat.

Trebek started saying it towards the end of his run but I don't remember it showing up prior to 2020.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I kept meaning to watch this, but I constantly forgot. I doubt they’ll ever rerun it either, so sucks to be me, I guess.

It’s only worth watching if you have a PVR and can skip around 90% of the show. Also the host could not possibly read the questions in the speed round more slowly and it makes me want to die every time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GhostStalker posted:

I don’t even remember this specific Trebek quote and now it’s something I connect more with Richards because he repeats it at the end of every episode. Not that I don’t appreciate the sentiment, but drat.

Ken's "Thank You Alex" was great, short, sweet, and gets the point across, but as soon as Richards starts in on that, I'm hitting the Netflix button on my remote. In all honesty, it wouldn't be so bad if he was saying something different every episode.

Poque posted:

She performed totally fine in her first match, missed a late daily double to be down.

:agreed:

I was really hoping she would pull it out of the fire last night and win again

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

The prize was $250K

The Chase mostly blows. Which sucks because it’s a trivia show and I really want to like it. But it is just awkwardly hand jobbing “the Chasers” the whole time, not asking near enough trivia questions, and the questions they have are harder than jeopardy questions because of how they are worded (not many clues within the question). The questions being harder would be fine if it was an even playing field, but you’re putting people who are likely on their first game show versus Jennings, Rutter, etc, and they just have so much more experience of course they’re gonna run the scoreboard.

Vasukhani posted:

Wasn't James Holzhauer's whole thing basically just adapting gambling tactics to jeopardy?

His whole thing was being an insufferable douchebag.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
James' thing was very little that hadn't been done before:

-category hopping from the bottom of the board
-hunting daily doubles
-making large bets on those daily doubles (he was indeed more aggressive here than other contestants who have tried the first two things)

The difference is that James was good enough to actually know the answers to the big-money clues almost all the time, and fast enough on the buzzer to take advantage of that.

We've seen other contestants since James try to play like him, and nobody's done as well because he is better at trivia and buzzing than they are. They're also largely not gutsy enough to go all-in on nearly every DD.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's the first time in a long time a third place person who was far behind bet correctly so she totally deserved the win.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zakharov posted:

James' thing was very little that hadn't been done before
I diagree - playing to maximize earnings before even looking for DDs was wild. Remember before James, the craziest bettor was Roger Craig because he sometimes liked to bet big on DDs. And then James casually out-scored his best game 16 times.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I said very little, not nothing! The bets were the major differentiator. But they'd mean nothing if he didn't actually know the answers. We've seen people since then try to bet big, and then crash and burn.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Duckman2008 posted:

The Chase mostly blows. Which sucks because it’s a trivia show and I really want to like it. But it is just awkwardly hand jobbing “the Chasers” the whole time, not asking near enough trivia questions, and the questions they have are harder than jeopardy questions because of how they are worded (not many clues within the question). The questions being harder would be fine if it was an even playing field, but you’re putting people who are likely on their first game show versus Jennings, Rutter, etc, and they just have so much more experience of course they’re gonna run the scoreboard.

If they get a second season, they need to do a top to bottom renovation. Everything just seems forced into a certain situation in order to hit specfic beats. It's a game show, not a prime time soap opera.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's the first time in a long time a third place person who was far behind bet correctly so she totally deserved the win.

I'm not saying she didn't deserve it, and a win's a win, but it was more accurately described as she was the one who just survived a brutal game that zeroed out the other contestants. I don't think she had a great game, but her wagering was correct and got her the win. Given the number of incorrect responses and triple stumpers, that was a game you just endured rather than played.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Given the number of incorrect responses and triple stumpers, that was a game you just endured rather than played.

Seems to be the standard for Mike Richards hosted episodes, which makes me worried about the upcoming episodes

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

They're casting season 2 now so i think we're in for more. I have a few gripes but think it's... fine... otherwise. it's been on in the UK since 2009 and it works fine there, but the ABC version does some stuff uniquely wrong.

1) Host reads too slow! This is also a critique of the overall show pace, which is glacial. She also slows down at the weirdest (and occasionally suspicious!) times. The show's at its best when the reader and contestant/chaser are totally locked in the same rhythm and they just fly through the questions. The UK host (Bradley Walsh) and Brooke Burns on GSN were incredibly good at this. If you're going to try to elevate these chasers as Fast Trivia Gods or whatever, the show needs to be set up in a way that lets them flex.

2) It's too much money. $25k a pop on the cash builder makes things life-changing incredibly quickly and then you just kind of feel bad when they get caught. Related- the other offers are too high and/or too low and nobody ever picks them. Let them play for 500k, who cares, it's ABC's money.

3) The two sets of questions at the end often have different difficulty levels. Like, (spoiler for last night: Brad already had his hands full with three very strong players and then his final chase set was... impossible????)

4) I don't care about the jeopardy goat fraternity or whatever and they're all so awkward (and occasionally funny, but it doesn't carry the show).

Also, it's on too late! I'm tired at 9 pm, okay???

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I've been enjoying the Chase for what it is, but I agree with most of the criticisms. It would be much better if it was a half-hour show without all of the filler.

Spokes posted:

Related- the other offers are too high and/or too low and nobody ever picks them. Let them play for 500k, who cares, it's ABC's money.
That's one thing that really bothers me, they spend so much time on the other offers and nobody ever chooses anything but the middle.

My thought to make it a little more interesting is to give a guaranteed cash prize of something like $50K-$100K if you choose the riskiest offer and beat the chaser, regardless of what happens in the final.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, just take a look at how the original british show handles it's pacing and use that. Hell, go with the games on ABC's lineup and do two games in the hour for slightly lower stakes if you have to.

It's called The Chase not A Leisurely Stroll Through the World of Trivia Against The In-House Jeopardy Champs. Fuckin run, for gently caress's sake.

EDIT: gently caress, switch back to 4-member teams and that'd fix a lot of pacing issues. If you worry more about giving away prime-time cash than how the show feels to watch, you've hosed up.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 5, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
game shows in the uk should not be for money and all the winner should win is ridicule

why only connect is the best

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Vasukhani posted:

game shows in the uk should not be for money and all the winner should win is ridicule

why only connect is the best

It is very funny to me how they have these six-month long seasons to crown a grand champion for all their shows and they get some stupid trinket (OC, university challenge, mastermind, etc)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

They're casting season 2 now so i think we're in for more. I have a few gripes but think it's... fine... otherwise. it's been on in the UK since 2009 and it works fine there, but the ABC version does some stuff uniquely wrong.

1) Host reads too slow! This is also a critique of the overall show pace, which is glacial. She also slows down at the weirdest (and occasionally suspicious!) times. The show's at its best when the reader and contestant/chaser are totally locked in the same rhythm and they just fly through the questions. The UK host (Bradley Walsh) and Brooke Burns on GSN were incredibly good at this. If you're going to try to elevate these chasers as Fast Trivia Gods or whatever, the show needs to be set up in a way that lets them flex.

2) It's too much money. $25k a pop on the cash builder makes things life-changing incredibly quickly and then you just kind of feel bad when they get caught. Related- the other offers are too high and/or too low and nobody ever picks them. Let them play for 500k, who cares, it's ABC's money.

3) The two sets of questions at the end often have different difficulty levels. Like, (spoiler for last night: Brad already had his hands full with three very strong players and then his final chase set was... impossible????)

4) I don't care about the jeopardy goat fraternity or whatever and they're all so awkward (and occasionally funny, but it doesn't carry the show).

Also, it's on too late! I'm tired at 9 pm, okay???

Yeah, I totally agree with all of this. And as a result of everyone always going for the middle offer, there's almost always three contestants at the end and they win a lot more often than they do on the UK or GSN versions. Which ok, it's cool that people are winning money and all, but it takes away from the allure of ~*~The Chasers~*~ when they're getting beaten 50% of the time.

Also, the whole set seems to be designed to make Ken/Brad/James look as tiny and unimposing as possible. When you watch the GSN one the Beast looks intimidating. And I know neither one of those three guys are 6'7" and like 300 pounds, and nothing's going to change that, but the set seems to have been built to purposely make them look smaller. Which just... why?

But whatever, I keep recording it and fast-forwarding through the 50 minutes of filler and anytime James says anything for the trivia questions because why not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can they make a new rule where if a contestant hits a Daily Double and goes all “oh I’ve been waiting all my life to say this, I’d like to make this a true Daily Double” when they have like $300 that they automatically lose it?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This old dude, lmao.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
On principle I oppose any rule that discourages people from betting all the money they have, even if they haven’t very little and want to say the line

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao Twisted Sister

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
*Twisted Siste

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I thought Eye of the Tiger and guessed Survivor. I figured with all the Rocky movies that have come out it would probably go back up the charts each time :negative:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My first crossed-out answer would've been Bon Jovi but a few seconds later I realized the song that popped into in my head was actually "Don't Stop Believing" rather than "Livin' on a Prayer".

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The clue made me think of Carry On My Wayward Son, which is not by Journey like I thought it was, ao I got it right for the wrong reason. :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

packetmantis posted:

Carry On My Wayward Son, which is not by Journey like I thought it was

:stare:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HookShot posted:

I thought Eye of the Tiger and guessed Survivor. I figured with all the Rocky movies that have come out it would probably go back up the charts each time :negative:

Not really the Rocky song though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

packetmantis posted:

The clue made me think of Carry On My Wayward Son, which is not by Journey like I thought it was, ao I got it right for the wrong reason. :v:
Happens to us all, I only recently realized "Rockin' into the Night" is by 38 Special and not Loverboy, like I'd thought all these years. (Actually written by members of Survivor.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I had guessed Van Halen (with the anthem being "Jump"), but didn't realize that their Best Of, Volume 1 album didn't come out until 1996. Pretty impressive that Journey's went 15x platinum.

packetmantis posted:

*Twisted Siste
At some level she knew the answer was guaranteed to be embarrassing no matter what, so she included two question marks

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Happens to us all, I only recently realized "Rockin' into the Night" is by 38 Special and not Loverboy, like I'd thought all these years. (Actually written by members of Survivor.)
For the life of me, every loving time the song "Godzilla" comes on or comes up, I can't remember who it's by. My head runs through a list of weird poo poo from Edgar Winter (connected to it in my head through the small distance between Godzilla and Frankenstein as movie monsters) and Jethro Tull (obviously ridiculous) and somehow never, ever lands on Blue Öyster Cult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I figured it had to be Journey just due how the song was used in