Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Spokes posted:

Do these folks think they tape in real time and stay chained to the lectern in LA and never see their families or something lol—Amy taped two days a week for a month

Regardless of time zone jeopardy is live, like the NFL. It must get tedious having to repeat your performance multiple times per day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

"Walking Schwindel, smart move."

I can't imagine how mentally tired she must have been at the end.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Spokes posted:

Do these folks think they tape in real time and stay chained to the lectern in LA and never see their families or something lol—Amy taped two days a week for a month

I mean, I get it. Especially how things are right now, I could not travel to L.A. for half the week for several weeks running....and it's overly optimistic of my skill, in all seriousness it's why I haven't re-auditioned yet. I wanted to die when I had to fly via LAX for a work thing in early December and in all seriousness should have hit my doctor up for anti-anxiety meds before that trip (or refused to go). I could not do that again once, especially with things being worse now than they were back then, let alone twice a week for a month or more.

I guess if I had gotten the call and went out there and started a streak I'd probably beg my friend in Long Beach to stay at his house until I lost and just buy new clothes and poo poo to make it work (if I was on a winning streak I could afford it).

That said, I don't think your average viewer knows jack poo poo about how the show is produced and think they shoot an episode a day, not five.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

christmas boots posted:

my parents are convinced she was tired of winning and wanted to go home. so begins again the dance of "they must have thrown the game"

Ah, that old chestnut. Even if that was true (which it never is), You don't do it right after lunch (which she told the New York Times) but on the Friday game before a hiatus.

Now with 5 superchamps (20+ game run), Would The Chase have that many people or will Matt and Amy be relegated once either or both lose the TOC?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 27, 2022

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Note to self: Quote != Edit

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

I can't overstate how much I love Amy.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/contestants/amy-schneider-what-i-learned-my-jeopardy-experience

It gives me hope for my own ambitions that she auditioned for the first time 15 years ago :unsmith:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

If this is real, my partner's going to lose his poo poo. We're in Canada but the US station we watch it on cut Jeopardy for something else last night (I was at work so wasn't watching at the time).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs of siren songs
To oohs to ahhs to big applause
With all of my anger I scream and shout
America, I love you but you're freaking me out

Biscuit Hider

Drimble Wedge posted:

If this is real, my partner's going to lose his poo poo. We're in Canada but the US station we watch it on cut Jeopardy for something else last night (I was at work so wasn't watching at the time).

I would start planning out your search for his poo poo just to save you some time down the road

wa27
Jan 14, 2007

Drimble Wedge posted:

My station aired Tuesdays game again on Wednesday so I had to track it down on YouTube. :shrug:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

screaming towards the future

Poque posted:

I can't imagine how mentally tired she must have been at the end.

Can confirm. My appearance on millionaire involved me being there from 7am until roughly 2pm. That poo poo loving drains a body, and I only answered something like ten fuckin questions for that.

I had the best loving night's sleep in years after i got home.

WarEternal
Dec 25, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snuffman posted:

Local ads spoiled it for me.

They did the usual Amy hype on Monday with a "who will beat her!?" and then showed 6 people and I was like "I guess she loses on Wednesday?"

Turns out advertisers aren't clever, they're really really stupid!

EDIT: I can't hate the local station, they're staff owned and have resisted takeover by the big 3 multiple times.

I actually think this might be what had tipped me off. I saw a similar hype-ad at the beginning of the week and thought that the count was off, but wasn't really paying much attention.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I mean, I get it. Especially how things are right now, I could not travel to L.A. for half the week for several weeks running....and it's overly optimistic of my skill, in all seriousness it's why I haven't re-auditioned yet. I wanted to die when I had to fly via LAX for a work thing in early December and in all seriousness should have hit my doctor up for anti-anxiety meds before that trip (or refused to go). I could not do that again once, especially with things being worse now than they were back then, let alone twice a week for a month or more.

I guess if I had gotten the call and went out there and started a streak I'd probably beg my friend in Long Beach to stay at his house until I lost and just buy new clothes and poo poo to make it work (if I was on a winning streak I could afford it).

That said, I don't think your average viewer knows jack poo poo about how the show is produced and think they shoot an episode a day, not five.

Do they not put you up in a hotel for the duration of your time on the show? Are you supposed to pay for those plane tickets on your own dime?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

Do they not put you up in a hotel for the duration of your time on the show? Are you supposed to pay for those plane tickets on your own dime?

There is a hotel they have a relationship with for a discount, but otherwise you pay for everything.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

grittyreboot posted:

You only get free flights out and back if you’re the returning champ. A flight from Oakland to LA in Amy’s case shouldn’t be too expensive if she had to pay for it herself, but the hotel should only be paid for in the case of being invited to participate in a tournament.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh no! No one knows anything now that Amy’s gone!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

I haven't watched it yet but I predicted last night we were going to have a 1-day champ.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Most of the people who beat long time champs usually end up as one dayers, don't they? I don't know the precise "Trebekmetrics" for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My comment was directed solely at the first Jeopardy round, as I’m still watching it live. It’s just a very low scoring game so far, on all sides.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I mean, I get it. Especially how things are right now, I could not travel to L.A. for half the week for several weeks running...

Not even at $250k a week? Take the madden bus or something.

I feel you though I flew to portugal in August 2020 for a show and the whole time I was thinking “gently caress me, this is how I die, getting covid from rob lowe” (I didn’t even end up taping lol)

I think everybody should be testing/auditioning at every chance, just ramp up your study after the in-person (or zoom) audition if you think you’ve got a shot from there. im also a sicko who plays multiple trivia leagues on any given week so ymmv

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Most of the people who beat long time champs usually end up as one dayers, don't they? I don't know the precise "Trebekmetrics" for it.

I believe Emma’s streak after beating James was the best giant-killer performance until Jonathan Fisher beat Matt Amodio.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Spokes posted:

That's what the friend's house in Long Beach would be, essentially....going way out of my way to avoid flying. Have my wife mail me my work laptop, buy clothes, just stay put until I lose.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

THAT BITCH SHOW

Spokes posted:

I feel you though I flew to portugal in August 2020 for a show and the whole time I was thinking “gently caress me, this is how I die, getting covid from rob lowe” (I didn’t even end up taping lol)

That's disappointing. I'd love to be flung around a room and maybe throw up on Rob Lowe

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's insane that you have to pay your way and stay.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's insane that you have to pay your way and stay.

I came in third and flew my wife and I from Canada and broke even (after getting my taxes back). it's fine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

But you shoulda gone home with a cool grand.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

At the very least they should double the compensation prize, but tbh I think they're overdue for doubling the value of the entire board anyway

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

We paid for it as well and broke even, I’m fine with it tbh. I agree with the above post, what they should really do is bump the prizes from 2k and 1k to 4k and 2k.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

THAT BITCH SHOW

Duckman2008 posted:

We paid for it as well and broke even, I’m fine with it tbh. I agree with the above post, what they should really do is bump the prizes from 2k and 1k to 4k and 2k.

All 3 contestants should get to keep the amount they earn.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

And you should pay the difference if you end double jeopardy in the negatives.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

1glitch0 posted:

Nah. That just resulted in no one playing FJ to win.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

I would be super ok with this. Please make it retroactive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

The show would never survive, financially.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Timby posted:

The show would never survive, financially.

I doubt that. Your average episode the final total of all 3 contestants is less than James averaged per game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

1glitch0 posted:

Nah, they did this back in the day and people just wouldn't ring in after a while when they were satisfied with their winnings. It makes sense for Wheel or Millionaire or whatever because there's no betting involved, but in Jeopardy you need the incentive of all or nothing

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I shouted "Bob Denver!" at the TV during Final because, even though I live alone now, I still enjoy getting answers wrong on purpose every now and then, so I laughed at the champ having to cross out "Bob". (This gimmick progressed to the point where my ex and I would frequently shout the same wrong answers and/or incorrect pronunciation at the TV, at which point they said, "Do you think we spend too much time together?")

Also I made the same joke in 2006 I guess:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

THAT BITCH SHOW

ninjahedgehog posted:

Nah, they did this back in the day and people just wouldn't ring in after a while when they were satisfied with their winnings. It makes sense for Wheel or Millionaire or whatever because there's no betting involved, but in Jeopardy you need the incentive of all or nothing

Let the cowards go home with their pittance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

So Jay is definitely just a Jay Leno clone with the chin shaved down, right?