Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Go figure that Final was about vaccines given the hysteria about monkeypox of late. Add the host and :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean I figured it must've been polio or possibly measles/mumps/rubella. Actually surprised none of them got it but sometimes it be that way. At least Mayim feels a bit more comfortable as host, or maybe my standards are just so incredibly low.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd heard it described recently as long-polio, as a comparison to COVID, so it came to mind right away. The problem for me, as always, is that I can't remember words off the top of my head, so I turned to my wife and asked what FDR had. I'd be poo poo on jeopardy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

THAT BITCH SHOW

ninjahedgehog posted:

I pieced it together at the last second by trying to think of diseases that old people may have had in their youth, but are now eradicated. Measles was a good guess though

Yeah I got it right away but it was totally an educated guess not any actual knowledge which is pretty much my MO with Jeopardy.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Albino Squirrel posted:

My greatest fear is getting locked out of a category that I should know thanks to my career.

I think the questions in the jargony categories sometimes have to twist themselves into knots to lead laypeople to the correct responses in a way that makes them more challenging to professionals. The information's correct, but it's worded in a way that no sane person in that field would ever think of putting it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Another interesting coincidence: a question about Vangelis, days after he died. RIP.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

Harry Privates posted:

Since youíre posting do you mind explaining how you train for this?

Finally remembering this.....

There's no easy list of things to know, but if you take data you can guide your preparations (both my wife and I are scientists....this is the way).

I use an app to track my performance while playing along each day which produces a Coryat Score (since I ignore DD wagering, I just practice coming up with the correct wager if I were the player who got it with that score situation). I also specifically track correct, incorrect, and no responses in each category. Then you can see trends in which categories are strong vs struggling over time; not specific categories, more general overarching groups of categories (geography, US history, world history, politics, science, art, sports, etc.).

Example: This showed me that my performance in bible-centric categories was abysmal. I reread the entire bible and studied some Cliff's Notes equivalents and my performance dramatically increased over the course of two months. I can also see my performance in science categories is so high that I can completely ignore trying to prep (physics and astronomy I'm still X-0-0).

The other half of this is a bit more related to approaching the game strategically. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The key isn't just knowing the answers, it's recalling them quickly, but also not burning yourself out a few categories (or rounds or games) in if you get going on a streak. It takes a certain effort, which can be indirectly measured by tracking latency time between the clue being revealed and coming up with the response. This also helps with training to read the clue and ignore the host reading it to gain a bit more time.

I can improve this by simply knowing more things, but there are diminishing returns. More useful: I can strategically allocate where I invest that energy. I can analyze past clues to determine the most common topics and make sure those I have down pat: Know the presidents in order (and the years of their holding office), world countries and capitals, British monarchs and PMs, bodies of water, etc. The idea is if these are basically automatic, you conserve your mental energy that can then be reserved for the more niche categories that make you think harder.

I use RemNote to create documents compiling these things which lets me compile flashcard decks. Sporcle is also really helpful for drilling on some of these topics, especially the geography ones.

Through all of that, just take data constantly. Tracking your performance lets you see progress and adjust your focus as you grow. You need to know what needs to be shored up, but you also need to know when to say it's good enough so you can move on to the next thing. You'll see diminishing returns and your performance metric flattens out. These metrics are things like accuracy (% correct) and also speed (# correct per fixed time interval). There's no absolute number to aim for, it's more just looking for that curve flattening to see that any additional gains wouldn't be worth the additional effort.

There are some books that are pretty much mandatory reading, and others that are helpful to have read. Right now I'm in the middle of rereading all of Shakespeare this year and my second time through Hirsch's Dictionary of Cultural Literacy (one of those mandatory ones). I read a lot, but even I can't get through everything, so I read a lot of synopses and Cliff's Notes style things to make sure I know my literature.

The last component is the buzzer. I haven't quite gotten to the point of building my own buzzer system like others have in the past, but I hone my reaction time on various video games that require fast reflexes (seems to work well enough, I was pretty dominant on the buzzer at the practice game at my audition anyway, so I don't really work on this too actively).

In the end there's no easy way to write a catch-all study guide or anything. Aside from the most frequent categories and responses guiding things that should be automatic, the rest is a matter of tracking what you need to work on and continuing to track over time to see that your approach to studying is working.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Harry Privates posted:

Since youíre posting do you mind explaining how you train for this?

Some chess grand masters do endurance training as part of prep for tournaments and I can't help but wonder, given the long shooting days and need for quick recall and button action, if that is part of J! prep too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I use an app to track my performance while playing along each day which produces a Coryat Score

What app?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dienes posted:

Some chess grand masters do endurance training as part of prep for tournaments and I can't help but wonder, given the long shooting days and need for quick recall and button action, if that is part of J! prep too.

Yes, I did this. In the month leading up to it I was doing seven games in a row a day, this was back when there was that one DailyMotion account that had every episode from the previous year up.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HookShot posted:

Yes, I did this. In the month leading up to it I was doing seven games in a row a day, this was back when there was that one DailyMotion account that had every episode from the previous year up.

No I mean physically, they are marathon running and triathalon swimming because they burn like 6000 calories a day playing chess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dienes posted:

No I mean physically, they are marathon running and triathalon swimming because they burn like 6000 calories a day playing chess.

Oh, I see. No, I didn't do that, but I can also confidently say I did not burn 6000 calories on my Jeoparday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Oh, I see. No, I didn't do that, but I can also confidently say I did not burn 6000 calories on my Jeoparday.

In a serious note youíre also pretty in shape though , so itís kind of a you were already there ?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So are we now in the age of the Super Champion or something?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out

Biscuit Hider

Ban steroids from professional Jeopardy imo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Change the buzzers so that if youíre wrong you get a painful electric shock.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Change the buzzers so that if youíre wrong Mayim gets painful electric shock.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

I would just like to say that Ryan is awesome. That is all.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

THAT BITCH SHOW

Orzo posted:

I would just like to say that Ryan is awesome. That is all.

He sounds very sad every time he has to pick a clue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

In a serious note youíre also pretty in shape though , so itís kind of a you were already there ?

This actually is true and I got a weird look from a coach who walked in on me working out normally the week before I flew out while listening to a podcast on roman history through my speakers in the middle of a set of squats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HookShot posted:

This actually is true and I got a weird look from a coach who walked in on me working out normally the week before I flew out while listening to a podcast on roman history through my speakers in the middle of a set of squats.

Mike Duncan or Patrick Wyman? Because Wyman is also a big muscly buff guy, I believe