Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would a new Watson special be even worse than the last one?

What do we need a gimmick for right now? I'd settle for a good permanent host (:techno:) and them paying their writing team better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

watson host when?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best part of the Watson games was seeing how it would show three possible answers and a question could be like "What is 2 + 2?" and the three options Watson would come up with would be "4", "5", and "potato pancakes".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I remember laughing when one of the humans answered "what are the eighties?" and was wrong, so Watson buzzed in and answered "what are the nineteen eighties?" and Alex chuckled

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The gap between how impressive Watson's tech was and how good the actual games were was very wide.

Humans can't match its buzzer speed so the games were extremely dull.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zakharov posted:

The gap between how impressive Watson's tech was and how good the actual games were was very wide.

Humans can't match its buzzer speed so the games were extremely dull.

Watson had some questions that just broke it though. I wonder if they fixed that over the last decade.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Watson had some questions that just broke it though. I wonder if they fixed that over the last decade.

O'hare and Midway airports will now forever be in Toronto for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A friend of mine is on one of IBM's advisory boards for Watson and, yeah, the advances they've made in machine learning are quite frankly terrifying. Watson would almost certainly be unbeatable at this point.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Timby posted:

A friend of mine is on one of IBM's advisory boards for Watson and, yeah, the advances they've made in machine learning are quite frankly terrifying. Watson would almost certainly be unbeatable at this point.

We are digging our own graves.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
No graves but what we dig for ourselves

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I mean Watson was beating Ken and Brad like ten years ago I can't imagine it would go well if we tried it again with today's technology.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Give us a Watson vs AIDungeon vs Siri matchup.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Watson vs that really good chess computer

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SmarterChild vs. Ask Jeeves vs. a 12-year-old with Encarta on CD-ROM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought the Watson thing was dumb because it didn't listen to the clues it was fed them via text. Unimpressive. Humans supreme as always.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ken Jennings losing was a conspiracy.

It is wild he lost on such an easy Final.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I didn't think the whole fed by text was dumb. I do think it was unfair.

Let's see a rematch.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is wild he lost on such an easy Final.

Wasn't that essentially a blind spot for him since he did his own taxes? Fedex almost makes sense if referring to holiday shopping but that would be 2 months max, not 4 as the clue said.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Island Nation posted:

Wasn't that essentially a blind spot for him since he did his own taxes? Fedex almost makes sense if referring to holiday shopping but that would be 2 months max, not 4 as the clue said.

That's what he said in his book, and that he'd never have gotten it even with unlimited time to think.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Island Nation posted:

Most of them should've taken a L at the Ultimate TOC if not earlier tournaments. Since Brad won, his L came from Watson

Even if Watson didn’t count because not human, he lost at the GOAT tournament as well.

banned from Starbucks posted:

technically isnt it possible for the winner of the kids/college tournaments to not lose?
College tournament winners participate in the TOC, but yeah, Kids Week (but those don’t happen anymore) and winners of the Teen Tournament could technically remain undefeated.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Winners of Teen Tournament and Kids Week should get to immediately join as third chair on regular Jeopardy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A bet some of those Teen winners can mop the floor with Celebrity Jeopardy contestants.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you watch any amount of celebrity versions of regular game shows, it becomes obvious just how much they dumb stuff down for them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm glad Kids Week is gone because even as a kid that poo poo was too easy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's either extremely easy or some grade school math poo poo that normal people forget after 20 years of never needing it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I liked the kids tournament because it made me feel smart.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I liked the kids tournament because it made me feel smart.

Now that Trebek is gone, it might happen again after they announce a new host. We’ll see.

Aaron Rogers tonight, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GhostStalker posted:

Now that Trebek is gone, it might happen again after they announce a new host. We’ll see.

Aaron Rogers tonight, right?

I'll be watching, but I'm thinking he'll end up like Mike Richards and Katie Couric, where it'll be something I'll watch, but it's not must watch anymore. At least our long national nightmare of Dr. Oz will be over for now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They posted his intro

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1379094728441016329

Seems a little stiff but I look forward to seeing how he does with gameplay.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

Seems a little stiff

Ken was on his first day as well and then he settled into it. I imagine that's to be expected from all noob hosts.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Katie Couric was almost the only one who was basically immediately not super stiff.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll be watching, but I'm thinking he'll end up like Mike Richards and Katie Couric, where it'll be something I'll watch, but it's not must watch anymore. At least our long national nightmare of Dr. Oz will be over for now.

I want to catch it, but I’ll probably be heading home from the office late today and grab dinner on the way anyway, so I’ll get home after the episode airs. Guess I’ll have to wait until a work from home day later in the week to catch him in action, or try to get home earlier.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
question: will aaron rogers be seen as a better host than peyton manning doing a college bowl revival?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

question: will aaron rogers be seen as a better host than peyton manning doing a college bowl revival?

I'll take Dr. Oz over Peyton Manning any day

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

GhostStalker posted:

Even if Watson didn’t count because not human, he lost at the GOAT tournament as well.
Removing Watson from the IBM Challenge still gives Brad his 1st loss (with GOAT as the 2nd) as Ken beat him there though they were both Big Blue's bitches.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rodgers is worth it just for the answer the guy gave. He seems “sleepy” for lack of a better word though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rodgers needs to work on his enunciation. It's OK, but he's a bit mumbly.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Well, someone’s got stones the size of Wisconsin for that answer. It'll make the highlight reels in the future.

It seems to me that Aaron isn't fully comfortable in the role yet. Understandable given this is outside his comfort zone. He’s got potential but it needs work.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think Aaron will be fine , he was probably just really really nervous for the first taping. I think he just needs to add some excitement and he’ll be fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm five minutes into this episode and Rogers is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Zesty posted:

I'm five minutes into this episode and Rogers is great.

Agreed! I like his understated approach.