Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I haven't been able to watch in a few weeks, but I recently saw a promo for a talk show interview with a Jeopardy contestant who was supposedly treated unfairly or lost due to a technicality or something. Does anybody know the deal with that story, or where I could find more information? I think I saw the promo around December 18 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frot Lesnar posted:

This was Wheel of Fortune where the puzzle answer was Seven Swans a Swimming but the woman, being from the south, said swimmin' and was not awarded $3800. She went on to lose the game by $3200.

drat: I guess I should have been paying closer attention. Thanks for this, and thanks to everyone else for the extra information.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

If only this were a live show, we could've seen if today's "shithole rule" applied here.

I notice they work in references to holidays in episodes that air right before or after: maybe they could try something different and predict when Trump will do something despicable?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their camaraderie—even their rapport with Alex—makes this a joy to watch. They’re three guys who have seen each other a bunch over the last 15 years and now they’re together one last time having fun and pointedly ignoring the reason why they’re all together because it’s sad and Alex deserves his dignity and to end things on his own terms.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That “so long, everybody” really hit me hard. This really is the last time we’re going to see all four of them together.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope they still get two more episodes and just drop sick burns on each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ken needs someone to play off of to be his best, but outside of the odd witty contestant, I don’t think the format has room for that. Unless Johnny wants to start taking a more active role at age 97.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's the only genuine personality the show has produced outside of like, Arthur Chu. He's so likeable that I don't care that he's a mormon, and that's usually a disqualifying characteristic for me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Ken not the permanent host now? He’s the only one with any charisma at all. Blossom stinks. Maybe if they let her wear that big floppy hat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just curious: why does this bother so many people?

I can see how it could be disrespectful. I won’t do it again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Urkel will always be Sonic to me, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Being antivax should be disqualifying for the position of quiz-show host, honestly. Maybe I don’t want to know Ken Jennings’ opinion on most things, but he’s never gone on tv to talk about those opinions or written a book full of them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most Americans are too cruel and self-centered to understand the nature of gentle ribbing. You need a Canadian for that most of the time. Ken picked it up osmotically from a life in quiz-show and para-quiz-show environments.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching a repeat of the professors’ tournament and Mayim Bialik just loving scoffed at a dude for confusing English dukes with heirs to the throne. I don’t like her at all. At least he made it into the tenure pipeline, Mayim! I’m sure you must wonder what that’s like.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t you have to do science in order to be a scientist, or is like being an ex-president?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It has to be weird to occupy the superposition of current Jeopardy champion who’s breaking records as the episodes air when you yourself recorded the episodes months ago and know how everything ended. Unless she’s still playing and winning in episodes being taped right now, I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Arthur is saying that we shouldn’t act like vaccines will make covid go away all by themselves because there are vulnerable people who will die if they get it, I agree with that part, but I don’t know if that’s what he’s saying.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Amy is the rarest of Jeopardy champions: clever and with a warm personality that comes across on television. She had better end up with a Ken-level connection to the show moving forward, which I guess would still mean being ignored a lot and cut out of things as soon as possible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don’t forget her being antivax.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Is there a good source for all of Bialik's anti-vax poo poo? Because jfc my normally smart family is convinced it's all some big misunderstanding and bought the fake apology and I would like to shove it right in their faces.

https://people.com/parents/mayim-bialik-talks-attachment-parenting-with-cbb/

quote:

Reader N.S. remembers reading about your contemplating whether or not to vaccinate the kids. What decision did you reach?

We are a non-vaccinating family, but I make no claims about people’s individual decisions. We based ours on research and discussions with our pediatrician, and we’ve been happy with that decision, but obviously there’s a lot of controversy about it.

Maybe she has changed her mind in the last 13 years, but that seems pretty unambiguous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

moonmazed posted:

dumb friends league is a pro name for an animal rescue :3:

It’s very wholesome of them to keep the name and not make any apologies for it because the archaic intended sense is wholesome.

Alternatively, the current sense frequently describes my own beloved dumb friends.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The successful woman who invaded Jeopardy was Amy Schneider.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

That do you have any questions bit was really funny.

I know they aren't the exact same skill set, but it's kinda shocking that someone who has been acting professionally since childhood is so much worse at "tv small talk" than a guy who just happens to be s tier at trivia. Towards the end of Ken's last run he just seemed effortlessly good and perfect for the role. It was jarring returning to Balik. She comes across so unlikable.

They’re very different skill sets. A closer analogue might be talk-show host, which is another thing not every actor can do—and many talk-show hosts are not great at acting when they try it, or they escaped acting and are good at hosting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ken, is good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

loving up the wagering checks out with me, as the only parts of Jeopardy I’ve ever cared about are the clues and pun-based category titles.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m jealous of the username jeopardamy, or I would be if I had been on Jeopardy and my name were Amy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Man, gently caress that. gently caress Richard Smith.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

(catching up) Music can soothe the savage… breast? I always thought it was “beast”. Did I just get berenstained?

People have definitely repeated soothe the savage beast for a long time. Maybe everyone has been mondegreened, or malapropped.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I didn’t know she gave money to the idf. God drat. She sucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did she take the job in the first place? It can’t pay well compared to probably hoarded millions from the later years of Big Bang Theory.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Having a Ph.D. just means you’re good at one specific thing. I have a Ph.D. and I’m dumb as hell with negative charisma. I’d be calling it “World War One One” and poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-refusing-let-ken-jennings-take-hosting-duties-what-know/
As this article points out a lot of this info is sketchy at best but I am a sucker for gossip so I’m posting it anyway.

If the people making the show wanted Ken Jennings to be the only host, they could just do that. They wouldn’t need to play “mean mind games” with the other host, who is also their employee. What would it mean to fight to hold on to a job hosting a game show, anyway? They would just not renew your contract.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ben Pennings is the longest-running Jeopardy champion in the history of Taured.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are old episodes available for streaming anywhere? Other than youtube uploads? I want to see a big bunch of 80s or 90s episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What criteria should I use to determine whether or not Ken is a scab? I want to hear him telling the bosses to eat poo poo, but he probably won’t do that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Surely there are focus groups telling them how much she sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Now jontron, the producers tell me you have had some unique experiences when you tell people your thoughts on racial hygiene.”