Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

When can I watch Jeopardy?
Every weeknight at 7:30 EST on ABC. Also on some weekends when they feel like it.

You know that Jeopardy! is syndicated, right? The channel and time varies depending on which station bought the rights in your broadcast area. I'm pretty sure it's even possible to have multiple stations with Jeopardy! I have it at 7:00 EST on NBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Still apparently can't actually get on the show though. :argh: The test is no joke. But I would love to call out contestants on stupid thangs with goons.

I've taken it every year for the past...6? years, and last year was the best I did...I was, by my estimation, a couple answers away from the "cut off." Not that everyone who makes the cut off gets called to do another round, but if you don't make it, you definitely won't.

But I always get pissed that the questions on the test are harder than on the show, on average.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

tk posted:

I get so angry when the contestants start choosing the clues out of order. Especially when it's a category with a weird theme and the first clue kind of eases you in.

I've read that that's a valid strategy to throw other contestants off their game. The downside is it also throws you off your game. That's what Watson did, and he was programmed with "optimal strategy" or whatever.

You also pick out of order if there's not much time left and you just need to answer the bigger bucks questions to have a shot at winning.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

What's wrong with you all? Part of my main daydream of being on Jeopardy is being able to tell a semi-interesting anecdote about myself on national television.

I'm pissed because I know I'll never do good enough on the online test, but I have interesting anecdotes!

Well, at least one.

I was attacked by a bear once.

You move, other contestants. :smug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GammaShade posted:

I'm still caught up on the judges giving the new champion credit for his bullshit "Reesie's piecies" answer. It wouldn't matter so much to me if the category weren't Rhyme Time.

Ugh, not even a Jeopardy thing, but it annoys me so much when people say it like that.

The words Reese's and pieces already rhyme...why are you changing both words to rhyme with the other, changed word?!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

The Final Jeopardy tonight was ridiculously easy. It could have been a single Jeopardy non-daily double question.

Seriously. I couldn't believe the one guy got it wrong.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Taking the online Jeopardy test for the first time tonight. Fully prepared to have all my dreams crushed by the internet.
And by that I mean, swiftly weeded out before I have a chance to embarrass myself and my family on national television.

You and me both, "smartest among my group of friends, but a dumbass when it comes to real stuff" buddy! :hfive:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The online tests always have the TOKEN REALLY EASY SCIENCE QUESTION.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Rhyme Time/Before and After, Science/Math, Pop Culture, Uhhh...more science and math? V:shobon:V

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wow, I haven't seen all three players that close to each other in a while.

And I thought it was either Carter or Ford for final. If I was on the show and had to guess, I would have said Ford, too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gah! Something's wrong with the site, can't log in! :supaburn:

It's just hanging up in the pop up after I clicked "Log In."

Edit: Ok, the log in page is up, but I can't log in...nothing happens when I click log in...time to try it in IE instead of Chrome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ok, for some reason, all I get in IE is a page saying "Please install Flash."

I have flash installed, it works fine in Chrome.

Time to try FF...

Edit: Ok good, FF is working...got the countdown going.

Though I remember one year everything looked fine, the countdown was counting down, and when it hit zero...nothing happened. The test never loaded for me. Hitting refresh then gave an error. I was pissed about that, because both the little "click this button to test if your browser will work" button worked, AND I logged in and was counting down, so something went wrong on their end.

Let's hope none of that happens tonight.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 9, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

^ ^ ^ Same here...:( ^ ^ ^

Ugh, 40 is the best I did...there were ten I know I got wrong/skipped, and another 5 I was iffy about.

I can't believe I couldn't think of Cornell.

V V V Wait, it was?! gently caress...wait, how is it not both? Is plutonium not named after pluto? Wikipedia agrees with me:

quote:

Edwin McMillan had recently named the first transuranium element after the planet Neptune and suggested that element 94, being the next element in the series, be named for what was then considered the next planet, Pluto.
V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 9, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Only 35...drat. :(

I can't believe I blanked on easy ones like Madison, Cornell, and Kiev.

But as a corollary, I can't believe I did get The Color Purple, Vivaldi, and Jane Eyre.

Edit: Holy poo poo, 11 literature questions if you count The Bible as literature...that's loving bullshit. Absurd, even.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 9, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

I logged in to the test site and now it has a countdown of 6 minutes saying that I'm going to take the test. poo poo, I know I signed up for Thursday. I don't know what to do!

The day you register for is meaningless. Logging in any night there's a test makes you take it that night.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wow, so glad I took last night's test... I would have done so much worse on tonight's. I almost chose tonight's.

Now I just hope I don't see tomorrow night's and realize I could have got 50/50 on it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

HookShot posted:

The last week or so of contestants (except Ashok) have been really, really dumb.

Ashok's weakness seemed to be pop culture.

Dude couldn't figure out the Seven Dwarves.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

HookShot posted:

I liked Alex's double take when he realized they gave a NASA analyst an entire catagory about NASA acronyms.

Though to be fair they were just kind of general astronomy questions.

IIRC, the categories and clues are chosen well in advance of the taping, so things like that happens occasionally. Sucks for the other players, but they still have to be quick on the buzzer.

I mean, odds are there is going to some some category out of the ten that you know really well. Whether it's related to your job, your schooling, a hobby, or whatever.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Punch Card posted:

They tell people to bring 3+ outfits, meaning if I ever get on the show I'll have to buy at least two sets of clothing that don't make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

I remember seeing a guy a couple years ago that was in just a t-shirt. My guess is he won more times than he expected to, and for some reason couldn't wear whatever he wore earlier, and dug that out of his suitcase, or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

I wonder if they would object to me wearing a t-shirt like this on there:

I don't know what that is a logo for, but in my head I read it as,
"dot, dot, dot, DASH"

And it automatically fit itself to the melody of Beethoven's fifth symphony... Please tell me that's the goal of the shirt and I'm not just going mad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I miss real Celebrity Jeopardy. The questions were about as easy as the Teen Tournament, but without things that mostly kids would know, but you're allowed to feel smart when you get them right because it's still "for adults."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Little Mac posted:

The girl who bid 800 and lost last night was infuriating. Aside from just being named Tori Amos, which is ridiculous, she was the one type of contestant I hate watching: she NEVER started from the beginning of a category. So she'd always start halfway through and it's like "no THEY WRITE THEM THIS WAY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

She's taking noted from Watson's playbook?

And seriously, her name was Tori Amos? I want to meet her parents and shoot them in the loving head.

God drat it, Generation Xers are now parents to teenagers. The world wasn't ready for this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

At least when all the Edwards and Bellas and whoever grow up they have some plausible deniability. But the last name too? Ugh

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/living/parenting-top-baby-names-2013

I actually find it weird Edward isn't on the list. Of course, Jacob is, so there you go.

But yeah, Isbella is #1 for girls.

And the past few years:

What do these poor kids do when their friends ask them what/who they're named after? I hope every one of them eventually reads those lovely books, realized how terrible they are, and starts going by their middle name, or just some name they make up.

Christ, I hate my generation. :suicide:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

That was a legitimately more difficult question than a lot of the ones I've seen for adult Final Jeopardy's lately.

Seriously. I don't think the kids are dumb for getting it wrong. "The Toubles" isn't a big thing that gets taught to American kids anymore. I went to HS in the late 90's, and we barely touched on it. Most US high school history classes and VERY US-centric. They get props for at least knowing that it was Ireland.

In regards to the betting, if it was the little kids tourny, then I wouldn't expect anything of them. But a Teen Tournament? Yeah, you should know at least the basics of proper betting. The number one rule being that if you're in first place, only bet enough to have $1 more than second place if you both get it right.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, really?! Only one of them got Christ the Redeemer? I mean, the first guy was close, he knew what it was, just not the full name, but Holy Hell, good to see the trend of easy FJ questions of late has continued into the Tournament of Champions.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm so glad Lauren won yesterday, and I hope she wins a lot more. :allears:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

I'm taking it Thursday, too.

What was the concensus for last year?

I remember Tuesday was super easy. Wednesday more difficult. Thursday the most difficult?

I dunno, it all depends on what categories you're good at.

I seem to remember that, for me, Thursday would have been the best (I think I took Wednesdays,) because it had a larger proportion of science and math questions, and less literature/poetry.

That being said, I'm taking it tonight, so I hope it's not a repeat of what last year was like for me...:ohdear:

Edit: Looks like I would have gotten 32-34 had I taken it last night.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 8, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wow...I think the only way tonight's Final Jeopardy could have been easier is if they went with the other big political death of 2013, Nelson Mandela. But seriously, Thatcher? That's a fuckin' $200 question.

I can't believe that one guy got it wrong.

Edit: Ok, the test page isn't letting me log in...it keeps saying "log in 30 minutes prior to the test."

Uhh...the test is in less than 20 minutes...can anyone else log in, yet? I remember past years it was pretty reliable to log in about 30 minutes prior.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mo0 posted:

I've been logged in for about 20 minutes now, if the countdown timer is any indication. Try a Ctrl+F5 or something to clear your cache?

I tried that, didn't work...I'll try another browser.

Fake edit: Ok, got it working in FireFox...weird it wasn't working in Chrome, even though it passed the little "computer check" test.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Would have done better on Monday...didn't even break 30 last night. :negative:

And now I'm sure when I see the list of tonight's questions/answers I'm sure I'll know, like, 43.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ha, I love that most of pilots' actual call-signs are usually fun little in-jokes and such.

I'd like to imagine that if anyone in flight school tried to get people to call them something like "Maverick" or "Iceman" they'd get laughed at so hard and end up being called "Pussy Willow" or "Nematoad."

Wait...poo poo, Nematoad is awesome, can I be Nematoad? :shobon:

Oh, and for Jeopardy talk, I'm sad the pilot is gone. LiLo was cool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

We know you don't know sports! Just guess something, man!

But seriously, you can't get hockey from Conn Smythe? The only way to make it more obvious it was about hockey was if the clue had Gretzky or Bobby Orr in it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

The guy is the biggest dork in the world, but he knows how to play the game.

Except Final Jeopardy betting.

I mean...I know technically there isn't a big difference between winning solo and winning in a tie, but still...gently caress sharing glory, bet that extra $1.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

^ ^ ^ E: Holy poo poo, not only does he have a glorious stache, he's crazy tall. :stare: ^ ^ ^

cf1140 posted:

Brad Rutter will be on Friday, February 14.
Ken Jennings will be on Thursday, February 20.

Ok, but when is Watson coming back? :colbert:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 7, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God drat, two-thirds of today's contestants were loving dumbasses...How do you not know string theory?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 19, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

Exactly. The rest of you are merely barbarians are the gate, clamoring for our noble Roman blood.

I used to love Jeopardy at 7, wheel at 7:30, because it meant at 7:30, I could switch to Comedy Central and watch Colbert, because I would usually only stay up to watch The Daily SHow the night before.

But then Comedy Central did the stupidest thing ever since not renewing Ugly Americans and switched when the re-runs of TDS and Colbert run, so now I have to go through the laborious process of recording Colbert and watching it on the DVR after Jeopardy.

Is the end result the same? Yeah, roughly. But it's a step I shouldn't have to do, drat it! :argh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

E: wrong thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Holy poo poo...the categories tonight.

I Am the Danger.
The One Who Knocks.
Say My Name.

Edit: And of course the one actual question in all three of those categories that is sort of Breaking Bad related (Heisenberg,) no one gets.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wa27 posted:

Amy's story about visiting state capitols today was hilarious.

drat, your Jeopardy comes on early.

I know it's syndicated, but just about everywhere I've lived or traveled to it's 7 or 7:30. I think once I saw it at 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Amy is just SUPER awkward. Is this a trend in Jeopardy, now? People who, while clearly very smart and great on the buzzer, have the personality of a slightly damp sponge?

And Julia just had this weird look of concern on her face with every answer...and even every time picked a question. She gave every answer as an actual question...that is to say, with no confidence and like she was actually asking Trebeck if she had the right answer.

I want to make a gameshow where if you answer like you don't know and you're just guessing, you lose points, even if your answer is right.

Have confidence, drat it! Be assertive in your answers, even if they're wrong!