Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've read that that's a valid strategy to throw other contestants off their game. The downside is it also throws you off your game. That's what Watson did, and he was programmed with "optimal strategy" or whatever.

You also pick out of order if there's not much time left and you just need to answer the bigger bucks questions to have a shot at winning.

I think it's more because over time the Daily Doubles have proven to be the fourth clue down most often (either the $800 question in Jeopardy or $1600 in Double Jeopardy). Ever since the Watson creators used this strategy it seems like a lot of contestants are doing this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I like when the question is an actual math problem and people buzz in before knowing the answer

I would do the same thing. Also there was I think a physics professor last year who had a commanding lead in Double Jeopardy and hit a Daily Double in a math category and risked it all and of course got it correct. I think he had like $15000 and the next closest was at like $6000.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Kerry continues her streak, thanks to Kaya betting big on a Double Jeopardy clue and missing it. Knowing Final Jeopardy also helps, but after missing that big bet, it was a pretty big long shot for Kaya to pull it out. Still, she was playing pretty well right before that...

I think I would have bet big on that Daily Double given that category since I know all of the NBA teams and know a little Spanish. And I would have gotten it wrong too. I saw oro and I immediately answered Golden State.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Also, the contestants aren't robots and maybe they just make a mistake?

It's one thing to screw up a question when the pressure is on, I get that. But correct betting strategy is something that should be thought about well in advance and just requires simple arithmetic.