Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What was the Urdu-named cloth? That was the one that really left me baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

I put down khaki.
Ahh goddamnit so obvious; that is correct. If only I had looked down at my own loving pants.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't think these got posted yet, an OK looking list of Thursday answers. Think I managed 40.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think there's a video on page one but for whatever reason that thread never got updated with the text like the other nights did.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Everyone who sees that final category and doesn't bet the house is dumb. That was always gonna be Silent Spring with an outside shot at In Cold Blood.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Perfidus posted:

Has there been any talk about who is taking over for Alex when he retires, or is it just unsaid but accepted that it's going to be Ken Jennings?
That's the obvious move but the name that actually comes up for some reason is Matt loving Lauer.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got hung up trying to think of the comedy since I figured those nabbing best actor/actress are more rare and easier to narrow down but failed because As Good As It Gets is such a forgettable movie.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was pretty pleased with myself for getting it, but I had to work forward from Ankara cause if you'd asked me an hour ago what the capital of Australia was I would've said Sydney.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What was the deal where Alex was presenting some dude a certificate or something before FJ? Just caught a glimpse with no sound.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

uublog posted:

Also where did Dick Tracy come from?

Confused "Ghostface" for "Scarface".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was requiring "deposit interest rate" super nitpicky or am I getting soft?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's the best kind of FJ, where no one will actually know it but it's right there in plain sight if you find the first link of the chain.

I was surprised the champ did so poorly, I was pretty impressed with her yesterday and thought she'd make a run. Though I think this was a really easy game, which should favor buzzer skills over knowledge.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I somehow made the opposite mistake, forgot 2 counted and thought it was 37.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

What was the composer one?
Two of the great Baroque composers, both born in some year in Germany but never met

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I got it but I dunno how.
It just kinda unscrambled itself for me after about 10 seconds. Maybe '55 and foreign-born unconsciously helped but I definitely didn't recognize the character's name cause I've only seen the Kubrick film and not for years.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Bull Run" and "Bunker Hill" for an event re-enacted at Little Big Horn, Montana are up there with the dumbest answers I've ever heard. I'm betting the first guy thought "Sitting Bull" and then that got garbled but the second one I have no idea.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Arturo Ui posted:

Today's test seemed REALLY easy
Way easier than the one I got last year.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

For some reason Lauras entire run got marked as repeats on my dvr so I didn't even get to see what her annoying voice was like :mad:
She would stretch out and rise on the last syllable of the last word every time she requested or responded to a clue, but not in the interviews. It was exactly the kind of tic Kristen Wiig would come up with for some terrible SNL character.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I thought the third lady got it correct (and wagered nothing anyway), so she wasn't hypothetically injured by the misleading clue.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They're rivals. It's like answering "These people say 'shalom'" with "Who are the Nazis?"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Two returning champions beget no returning champions, the world rests at balance.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Also I think I read the final wrong because I was trying to remember the site of Eisenhower's library and I guessed Topeka but apparently it's in some other city in Kansas
Also thought Eisenhower but got stuck trying to remember what state he was from, which now strikes me as really forgettable.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 19, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I must have a knack for getting the easy day; I'd bet my life that I got 40+ tonight.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I blanked on somebody's "mill" established 1848 in California?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

44 if the test is about as lenient on spelling as the show is. Missed Orinoco, asparagus, Sutter Mill, Eudora Welty (froze and spat out Carson McCullars at the last second), lion (said mountain lion), rivet (no excuse, somehow got to "rebar").

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 28, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wow, seems like every year one of the three days is way, way easier than the others. Guess that was yesterday.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

It's a little ironic his last name's "Cohen," because he's pretty much already Barton Fink.
If he's a John Turturro character he better hope he's Barton Fink and not Guy from Quiz Show.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess I can see how you might jump from "Greek" to there but that's a really bad answer. There should be a check in your head where you stop and ask yourself "Does Jeopardy really want me to say that?", like with "sperm bank" a few days ago.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I guessed Engels because I figured there was no way it would be that obvious. :saddowns:
It was weird how Alex hyped it up as a great question. I did try to think if somebody else at the time might've styled themselves as a champion of the workingman like I dunno, Garibaldi?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 15, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Who the hell would know that FJ answer? :stare:
That was pretty high up there on obscure FJs. Course I remember one time where I'm thinking that and 2/3 get it right about some museum in Scandinavia or maybe the Netherlands.

Craziest FJ ever has to be the one that required both of a) the coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers and b) the guy who recently unseated a Congressman, Eric Cantor I think, connected only by the fact that they were both named David.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'll try tomorrow and the last few years whichever one I take seems to be the easiest day so everyone should probably do that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Celery Jello posted:

I was this close to typing that guy who couldn't spell potato because the only name I could think of was Mondale and I knew that wasn't right.
That was the one I blanked on the hardest that I knew I actually knew. I don't think this was the easy day this year. 40 is probably optimistic.

w/r/t the technical errors I don't know why they don't let you take it on multiple days and just use the highest/lowest/average/a random one, whatever they prefer. It's not like there's any integrity to this portion of the process anyway and this is just the broadest preliminary prescreening.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How many variations can you come up with for "name a blind female author"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Reminder that online tests are tonight and the next two days.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think I did OK but I almost misspelled "blue" so who knows. Easier than the one I got last year where I was definitely short of 35 but harder than the two or three years before where I got around 42 or so. There's always a really wide variance across the three tests like they're not trying too hard to balance it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

41, but I should be disqualified for saying there were 128 pints in a gallon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A couple of nights ago when the FJ answer was Andorra for a clue that boiled down to "has the highest European capital", what was "once a feudal state" doing in the clue?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PT6A posted:

Missing that daily double was harsh.
I think "Pulp Fiction" was a triple stumper in a regular season FJ (clue was the Ezekiel misquote) with a couple of older contestants. Tonight when the category first came up and you start pre-compiling likely answers I assumed that's way too easy a soundtrack to reference for a high-level game. I guess it's a pretty easy hole to have for a lot of people if you maybe don't watch that kind of movie and you focus on Best Pictures for study, but I can't believe he blanked on it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

I know people know different things and that dude is way smarter than I am, but not getting that Pulp Fiction question... man. When he bet it all and I saw the question I was like "nailed it, perfect". Then he just didn't answer. How do you not get that!?
Exactly, I don't get why anybody thinks it was a bad bet; he went big on what should be an easy category unless you explicitly know you don't know movies and got a what 90% of high-level players would consider a gimme question, except he just hit some weird lacuna in his knowledge. He's not too old or too young to have seen it. I have to wonder if the clue just listed a different two songs would he get it? I feel like even for the same movie there's clues they could have used like "C'est la Vie"/"Flowers on the Wall" that would have been way harder but honestly not out of line for a champions game.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess the pop culture categories are harder to judge consistency cause it's harder to study like you would for the finer arts, a lot of it is either you've seen/heard something or you haven't.

How hard was the Deadpool one if you've seen the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Larissa has absolutely been the most impressive player so far.