Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Well, I’m dumb and didn’t think about until today that surely there must be a jeopardy these on SA.

So my wife did her performance on jeopardy today. All I have to say is holy hell is it both extremely fun, and extremely intense. We went in knowing it was going to probably be an all day experience, and you still aren’t prepared for both how mentally exhausting it can be (and I wasn’t the contestant).

The euphoria from the game afterwards (win or lose) is super intense. It took me all night and a bunch of booze to really calm down.

My biggest shock is how drat small the clues are to read on the real screen. Also, the others saying that it’s hard to track score are totally right, the game just moves faster in real life than on TV.

So of course I can’t say how she did, but in my opinion you’ll be entertained. Air date is January 3rd.

Big thanks and shout out to Hookshot, we appreciate your advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Yay congrats dude!!

I'm went away and am so super far behind that I haven't actually watched your episode yet (I'm up to the semi-finals of the teen tournament :negative: ) so I look forward to seeing it in a few days.

Yeah, we are still about 3-4 episodes behind ourselves. I thought we would get caught up this weekend, but between Pokémon community day and Dr Who (which we are also still behind on), no dice so far.

Our friends can’t do trivia night tonight, so we may stay in and just knock out the remaining episodes.

Nice job man! You did well, Didn’t realize you were a goon. I’m going to have to rewatch this episode.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 3, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

yep, that’s me.

well i made it a not-runaway at the end until the double jeopardy. i felt i absolutely had to go for the lead there given it was the second easiest question in a category i felt quite comfortable with and she was fantastic and that was my one shot. aside from her being obviously better at the buzzer, after that question she even said that she only knew the answer from knowing paragraph 2 or 3 from page like 312 from some tennessee williams play. at that point i knew she was insanely smart and photographic and knew she deserved it. i would’ve bet my life i had at least heard of the answer to the q but nope!

man, if only i got the show before. i would’ve won like $50k easy. fairly sure i knew all but one of the questions. :/

Rewatched the show, and yeah, the champ is a beast so to keep up with her is extremely impressive. I thought you did extremely well.

It’s crazy, especially watching in person, but really Jeopardy is about two things in my mind: the buzzer and luck. Most contestants know most of the answers, so it’s whomever gets the feel of the buzzer first, and sometimes you just get the wrong category or question. Momentum from either getting the buzzer or category you like can make or break the game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

I can't prove it, but I swear I've recently seen contestants deliberately drop from close second into third place for control of the board at the start of Double Jeopardy

Control of the board is more of an advantage in person than one would think, but definitely not to the point of self sabotage. Honestly, one other extremely difficult part of jeopardy is tracking the score. I was in the guest audience and had trouble tracking it, including imagine being an actual contestant tracking it.

Honestly, I think it’s more the momentum from getting a question right that propels people. But again, that’s definitely observation vs personal experience.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I know, I’ve been there. I wasn’t the contestant, my wife was, but I still think it would be hard to track while actually in game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I wouldn't have any interesting stories if I was on jeopardy because I'm the dullest person ever.

There’s always something. Sometimes the best stories are not the ones with the most substance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I haven't actually seen any of it, I'm still behind by about a week.

Makes me feel better, we have been 3 episodes behind for forever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought last night's was embarrassing. I'm not even a military buff and I knew the answer.

What’s crazy is that every contestant for the week that I talked to was bringing up that they had no idea on the Aircraft carrier final jeopardy. So I donno, I knew it, but sometimes people just don’t figure out the answer quickly enough.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Your wife's ep airs tonight, right? Hope it's the first of many!

That is correct. Appreciate it! Hope everyone enjoys it, I think it’s a good game.

I can assure you at the least that there are no questions about aircraft carriers tonight.

On another note, we lived for years in Philly and now live in St. Louis, relevant to know for tonight’s game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I had no idea but my husband blurted it out immediately.

Retro good luck to your wife! I binged a whole bunch of episodes the last two days to catch up so I could watch her tonight :)

Haha appreciate it!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

banned from Starbucks posted:

i didnt know she was a goons wife when i watched it. I assume she got both the flag clue and the will smith one?

Yeah, she knew both. We watched it tonight with like, 10 friends and family, and the reaction to the guy getting the St. Louis question, everyone started shouting as soon as they saw the goddamn flag of St. Louis. Lol.

Appreciate the kind words everyone. I thought she did extremely well, especially considering she didn’t get a daily double and she was down st one current (and ongoing) champion is really good, everyone had him pegged as threat. I walked in during warmups on that day, and the dude was crushing everyone on the buzzer in practice.

The rumor was the current champ was a jeopardy sub, so while he hasn’t played live before this week, supposedly he has played the practice rounds and been on set before. I haven’t found anything to back this up though.

GhostStalker posted:

Anyway, your wife made a good showing tonight, didn't have a bad chance going into Final. Too bad it seemed like she overthought it a bit. I had forgotten that there was a goon wife on the show tonight too, so I'm glad I caught the episode.

Appreciate It man. Honestly, she knew the answer was wrong, she just didn’t know so she wrote down a word. Biggest irony here: we went to a frickin Cold War museum the previous day in LA, and they just didn’t have anything on the Berlin air lift.

Also: a while loving category on Squirrels.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

If they're local to the LA area, there's a good chance they were a previous alternate, since those are the only people Jeopardy can reasonably call to come in and not play without wasting money on a flight or whatever. Was your wife's tape day a Tuesday or a Wednesday? Because if it was a Wednesday, then he might've been a holdover from the previous day's taping that got bumped or something, even if he's not from LA. Those are the only non-champ things one would probably have been on set and have done practice rounds for before for that I can think of.

He def is local to La. it was a Tuesday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

There was a Quidditch category like last week or the week before, too. Probably the latter, so at least a week ago he was reading clues regarding it. Didn't seem down with it then either.

The Quidditch category was during my wife’s game actually. She was yelling at the TV “why didn’t he get that stupid category!”

That category also didn’t do a great job at distinguishing that it was apparently on the US Quidditch league rules, vs the book. I had no idea there was a difference, but still, good lord.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maybe she was licensed to ill?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had high hopes for Haley :(

Yeah, she was good, just sometimes you get the wrong opponent on Jeopardy, and/or you just don’t strike the daily doubles.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It’s both a great tournament and not. Great because it really feels like the stakes are real and I’m watching like a sports playoff tournament.

Not great because one round and day definitely sucks. I like everyone and somewhat enjoy all the background, but really I just want more rounds of people fighting it out on jeopardy.

Also, I get they have split rounds , but it’s kind of lame that one player from each team has to do final jeopardy, and literally just be lucky enough to know their answer for one goddamn question.

They should have just had them rotate mid round every 5 questions like when they do the pregame warm ups. I think that could have been more fun.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

gently caress yeah African final jeopardy categories.

:five:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I still say Levar Burton would be a perfect jeopardy host.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Propaniac posted:

So hey, I was right in thinking Team Colby wasn't out of the running. Especially with that super-weak finish from Team Austin today.

Hard to imagine Team Ken won't dominate all the way to the finish, although they'll have to take Ken or Matt off the buzzer tomorrow.

For TV ratings, what’s going to happen is a final game with the following two:

Ken vs Brad Rutter in one round.

Matt vs Alex in the other round.

Personally, I remember the Matt vs Alex tournament of champions final and I would love to see them go toe to toe again. That was a great game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Wasn't that the biggest rout in the history of the ToC?

Maybe my memory is off, but I remember Alex def just playing better, but Matt betting everything on a day 2 daily double and losing everything. If he would have gotten the double he could have possibly caught Alex. My wife and I really liked Matt for some reason so that could be coloring my memory.

HookShot posted:

It feels cruel to have only one team eliminated right off the bat LOL.

Another final jeopardy involving the countries of Africa.

Edit: it’s been a long day, I think I’m mixing up a daily double and the final on that African question.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 28, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've read the poem and have seen it referenced a million times. I've only ever seen the Jungle Book animated movie, never read the book.

I couldn't even come close to the answer watching at home, there's no chance I would have gotten it under pressure.

Alan seemed extremely angry at the end - was it just because he didn't get it right? HIs team's still in the lead, so it wasn't THAT big a deal.

Alan always seems to put a lot of pressure on himself.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

How is everyone watching it? Hulu doesn't have the current season, and there's a 0% chance I'll be home in front of my TV every night at 7. Usually I don't care if I'm behind, but this is cool enough it'd be nice to keep up more

DVR.

And I both love that the questions are harder, but they definitely shouldn’t always be this hard. My(biased) opinion is that if you got on jeopardy, you’re good at trivia. That being said, most regular jeopardy games with this level of questions would be a poo poo ton of no one ringing in because they don’t know the answer, or nerves are getting to them so they don’t know the answer.

Not everyone knows every drat fact about African countries and cities.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I decided that they should have a secret final boss for whatever team wins (like a video game, where when the team wins they have to go back on the stand and the 3 of them play against the best player to ever play.

“You have won, but there is one final boss, the best to ever play, that you must face before your team may declare victory.”

*curtain rises, revealing Watson the Computer. The crowd goes silent. Ken unsheathes a sword he suddenly has for some reason and prepares for battle.*

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Finally caught up in the tournament, and the format is growing on me for the novelty. Alan making a :mrgw: face tonight put it over the top for me.

Surprisingly is that the format is way better than they have a full game of jeopardy in the 30 minutes!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Sean posted:

My partner and I randomly found Jeopardy on Hulu back in November and it reignited our interest in the show and we've been watching every new episode since. I used to watch as a kid and didn't get any of the answers, of course. It's really refreshing to be able to answer them now as an adult, though (outside of the tournament of champions, of course).

This is the first I've looked at the thread here, though, and I noticed the "how to get on jeopardy" link in the OP broken. Here's an updated one: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j.

edit: speaking of, are there any training resources around? I know there are categories I don't know poo poo about, like opera and musicals, that I could just scan Wikipedia for basic details but there've got to be easier ways to cram for this knowledge. I know there's j-archive but it doesn't seem to be designed specifically for training.

Here’s my input: my wife got the call, and she can have some anxiety issues, so other than watching current and old jeopardy episodes, beer trivia, and doing some minor US presidents and state studies, she didn’t practice a lot from my vantage point.

My vantage point is also that she had also been practicing for 10+ years, between jeopardy, trivia nights for years, and crosswords. So it’s something where “we’ll, at this point either you know it, or you won’t learn it in 3 weeks.”

So we just took super chill, light practicing like I mentioned, and kept her loose. So when it came down to it, it’s just “hey go and have fun,” and I think that really helped.

Edit: fun fact: my wife’s final jeopardy question was on the Cold War (history is a weaker look t for her, and the answer was the Berlin Air Raid, so she missed it). We went to a drat Cold War Museum the day before her taping, and they had nothing on it. So I blame them (the other guy knew it so she wouldn’t have won anyway).

https://www.wendemuseum.org/

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 6, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

GOD DUCKMAN YOU CAN'T ACCIDENTALLY TYPE THE WRONG WORD IN THE JEOPARDY THREAD JESUS GET IT TOGETHER

Lmao. Likely why I wasn’t the one actually on jeopardy. Although, when you think about it, the Soviet Union probably considered it an air raid, so I may have accidentally been right.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My wife got final, I did not.

We both are :negative: to today’s announcement. Just loving sucks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

Being a weird rear end in a top hat in the Jeopardy thread to own the libs or something.

This made me laugh.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That final was harder than anything during the All Star games.

Holy poo poo this. It was one of those answers where once you hear it, you’re like “oh that makes sense,” but the wording had me thinking about solar holidays vs tree holidays.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Same. Brain farted like crazy there.

I think I got it last minute on a lucky guess. Like, all of a sudden as the Think music was winding down, the answer came to me, and I wouldn’t have had the time to write it down.

Also, apparently Lindsey is gonna be donating $1 to pancreatic cancer research for every weird comment wrt the buzzer that people are finding of her on the socials. Should I put her down for :10bux: from these dead gay comedy forums?

The answer is always yes to that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

These questions holy poo poo. What happened to the writers?????

Edit: this was a late night post, looking back it probably was harsher than intended, so I’ll be removing it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 27, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

And he was so mad that the game was a runaway!

"World War II...ugh, they're all too young to remember" and then 2 of them got it right, take that! I missed with "Remember Pearl Harbor."

I'm kinda weirded out by Steven's demeanor but excellent game by him.

Ha I almost had it, but i went with “I’ll be back.” Right sentiment, wrong phrasing by a few decades....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Yeah he's obviously running that site and a gigantic loving douchebag for it.

You’re just mad that he is a Vegas Knights fan and the Canucks had a bad season he’s probably a douchebag and my hockey team also had a bad season

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

It seems incredibly dickish to refer to your opponents, who passed the same test and audition you did, as "humbled subjects."

Ugh, I didn’t really look at the website so I missed that. That is def a bunch of poo poo.

And yeah, if it got updated before the episode aired anywhere, then it would be amazing if they took his money away. I can’t see jeopardy liking the website, it’s def not in the spirit of how the show runs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I hope he's not affiliated with that site because I have really enjoyed his first two games so far.

There’s no way someone makes a site like that without his direction and knowledge. I’ll def agree that I was enjoying his games, he was a bit douchey but like, the “hey he’s a gambler, that’s what they’re like” thing made it ok. But yeah, for people like me who were on the fence but hoping to like him, the website just makes it very clear “eh gently caress you.”

Jeopardy is a game where anyone who makes it on the show it really good and deserves to be there, so anything denigrating fellow players is going to be a poo poo thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

missed tonight, what did he do?

He was a douche? Also unfortunately he won by a wide margin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here is the disclaimer at the bottom of his website:

“King James Holzhauer is an unofficial fan site dedicated to James Holzhauer. Our purpose is to promote interest in James Holzhauer and his Jeopardy! appearance(s). We are in no way officially affiliated with James Holzhauer, his friends, or his family. This is a site made by a fan for the fans. All materials on this site are for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is ever intended. Picture copyright is owned by the respective photographers. If you want to see pictures on this website removed, please specify which ones and give us time to remove these before taking any further action. If you are a copyright holder and wish credits on your images or articles, please let me know and we will be glad to add them.”

Basically, who has a jeopardy fan site after (or before) their 1st win? So just posting how stupid the website disclaimer is, and gently caress this dude.

It’s a site made for fans, you see. That’s it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

This squares with my recollection as well, save for probably Alex not taking audience questions from the contestant pool to prevent anything that seems untowards and might trip Sullivan Compliance, which is there to make sure the game show runs fairly. He probably knows better than that.

Yup, and contestants are not going to risk their potential jeopardy winnings by asking Alex some dumb question, not to mention it’s super nerve racking for most contestants and guests sitting through the games before your own. After being there, outside of the luck of whom you draw I think the best day to go on is Tuesday: second game of the day so you are more awake, and you got to see a full game live so it kind of gets your head in the game.

I think Alex did make some comment at our taping just towards the contestant guest pool, but it wasn’t answering a question.

Oh, on the guest end, man they’re really nice, but very clear on stuff like not having cameras or phones out, and don’t talks to the contestants (even you’re own). It’s literally a “don’t ruin their day and get them disqualified because you took a picture or talked to them.” (After they’re on if the contestant chooses to stay and watch, then you can talk to them).

It’s a great day, but def a lot of nerves.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

My coworker went to a taping for a show airing in early May and I desperately want to ask if James was still there

God I hope not. And he’s good, but he’s going to keep going for doubles, and eventually law of averages says he will get one wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI his website def got feedback, it changed from “opponents humbled” to “worthy adversaries defeated.”

Yeah, gently caress off.