Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Just had an audition with Jeopardy last Wednesday. Did well enough on the online test to be asked to show up for the in person audition and interview, and I think I did well enough on it. Just showing up for the audition and filling out a form with all of your information is enough to be included in their prospective contestant pool.

Jeopardy is apparently currently in between seasons, and they won't be filming new episodes until late July/early August, so I won't know if I will be on the show for a while, but the producers/contestant search people said that if I don't hear from them by this time next year, then I should try again. They need 400 or so people for the season, and they said that they had done 2 days of auditions with 3 sessions each before the day I had mine, my session having had 16 people in it, so that's a little less than 150 people that I figure they added to the pool in New York, with people from my interview session coming from as far as Washington DC and Boston. Guessing at the number of other audition sites they have across the country, I think that's about a little less than 1000 people total in their contestant pool? That would put my chances at around 40% or so. Still, crossing my fingers that I actually am able to make it on the show and make some money.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I didn't know about the test until I saw tonight's episode and I just registered for it. However, I recently went to an audition back in May of last year (still crossing my fingers that they actually call me, however unlikely that chance is) and I remember the contest search people saying that they'll be offering a test sometime in between the time of my audition and when I leave the contestant pool and that there was a way that I could take the test for fun and not have it count towards being entered in the pool again. Maybe I'm just blind, but when I applied to take the test, there was no check box or whatever to say that I was just taking the test for funsies and to test my knowledge. Did I mess up somewhere, or will there be something to that effect after when I go take the test tomorrow? I just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up for my (admittedly low) chances of actually getting on the show.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

When you registered to take the test it should have asked you a series of questions about being on game shows. I think they were "Have you been on Jeopardy?", "Have you auditioned for Jeopardy in the last year?", and then a couple questions about other game shows. If you answered the audition one "yes" I think you can take the test, it just won't advance you if you do well.

Just checked, the only eligibility questions they asked were if you can appeared on any version of Jeopardy with Alex Trebek as the host, if I had appeared on any game/competition/dating show within the past year, or if I had appeared on any of the previous three times over the past ten years. Nothing about whether I've done an audition recently...

Dunno if I should take the test at all tonight... Just in case, I guess.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Holy loving poo poo, just got my Jeopardy taping callback an hour or so ago. They penciled me in for March 11-12, so I have a month to prepare, I guess. So loving excited. Not really sure what else to say at this point... The lady who called me told me not to put it out on blast on social media that I was going to be at a taping and possibly on the show until the show I'm on is actually recorded, but I figure letting you guys know wouldn't violate that since unless you pull off some internet detective poo poo, you people here don't really know who I am personally and get me in trouble.

Been talking with a Jeopardy watching cousin about what I'll do when I do get on, and he asked me if I would employ the Chu strategy and do the Forrest Bounce. Told him that while I understand the methodology behind it, and that it seems to be working for Chu, I probably wouldn't use it myself, since it doesn't make for good TV and it could backfire if I mess it up. Probably just going to hunt for Daily Doubles in categories I feel comfortable in, after taking a lower value clue or two in the category first.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 8, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, I doubt Arthur will still be competing when my taping comes up. Unless he becomes the next Ken Jennings, I figure he's gone by now, taping-wise.

If, by whatever quirk of chance, he's still on, I doubt the Jeopardy casting people will let me compete against him, since then it'll be two Asian guys going against each other with another person thrown in the mix, which probably wouldn't look too good diversity-wise, if the casting directors of Jeopardy care at all about that... I'm not as fat as Arthur, but I can be a goony looking Asian guy with glasses easily enough. That might be bad for me, since if Arthur continues to win, it'll likely mean a wasted trip out to LA for me...

Not even sure if I'll be able to be on camera even when I do go out there. The lady I spoke to over the phone said that since I'm going to be flying so far across the country, they'll do their best to get me on camera, though she made clear that there are no guarantees. Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be on, at least I hope so.

I dunno, I'm still trying to work out all the adrenaline that's going through my system now after I learned I was being called to do a taping. Nervous energy plus not enough sleep last night makes for a bad combination. Way too amped at the moment... Gotta calm down, and make sure I don't publicize what happened to me too much. Avoided directly referring to it on social media so far, but have been texting back and forth with friends and family, and of course, letting you goons here know. Shouldn't have run afoul of any rules yet, at least, I hope I haven't.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Human Cow posted:

I'm pretty sure they just say that so if you get out there and start uncontrollably vomiting or something they can say "well, we told you there was no guarantee!" You'll definitely be on unless you really screw something up.

Well that's somewhat of a load off of my mind... Guess I should stop talking to other people about getting to go to a taping and maybe competing before they kick me off for breaking that rule.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure buzzer technique is what I need to work on. I can get most of the answers correct when I'm just watching the show, but getting to buzz in first is pretty much what seems to be the most important.

I did a local school Geography Bowl thing like 15 years ago and they kinda had the same setup: you're unable to buzz in until they finish reading the entire question type deal and their buzzers were locked out for buzzing in until they did so. Won two years in a row (though it was a team competition) by being able to buzz in on time and answer correctly, so I guess if I remember how to do that well, I should be fine on the actual show.

The audition I went to last year also had a portion where you played a mock game, answering a few clues complete with buzzers that only worked after the question was fully read and the screen around it lit up, so I had some practice there.

escape artist posted:

No, they don't pay travel. You'd think they could, given that they've been rolling in that Goldbond's Foot Powder money for so long.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Jimmy from the Clue Crew was at my audition (they happened to be filming a bunch of clues in Tampa and St. Augustine that week) and did a bit of a Q&A for us while we waited on the tests to be graded and he addressed this question directly. There was a rather large group of people who were pretty livid about the whole "pay for your own travel but we can't guarantee it's worth it" policy.

It's true it's covering their rear end for legal, but it's not as shady as you think. They film the shows in batches over 2 or 3 days, I forget which, and they will call out the contestants they need. However, on rare occasions, there are these weird things called TIES that result in needing only ONE contestant for the following show, or in VERY rare cases zero. As a result, the rotation gets hosed up and you might not make it on camera.

If that happens, you're sent home....but they pay for you to return the following week. Same thing happens if you're a champion on the final taping for the week; you're sent home and they pay to fly you back for any additional tapings as long as you keep winning.

Yeah, they don't pay travel. The lady who called me told me that I would have to pay for my own flight over (reiterating what they told me at my audition last year), but if I was a returning champion and had to come back next week because I won on the last episode they taped on Wednesday (they tape on Tuesdays and Wednesdays), they'd pay for me to fly back out. Cheapest flights' I've found to LAX and back around my taping days are running around $310 (leaving on Monday afternoon, back on Wednesday night), plus fees, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Have to pay for my hotel as well, but the lady I talked to gave me the number of a hotel they have a deal with nearby, with a Jeopardy contestant rate, plus the coupon code with which to activate it. Apparently, they also have a shuttle bus to the studios in the morning. I was planning to stay with friends of family to save some money when I get out there, but I've been convinced otherwise, since according to the family member in question, they live far away from where the television studios are and the lady said that they start taping around 8am.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pretty much yeah. I got called for kid jeopardy years and years ago and they basically make you take another online test to further weed down contestants (this is where I was eliminated). They only need like maybe 150 people per year.

Pretty sure I'm already past that point, since I think that's what my audition last year was for. If I'm flying out there, it's for a taping, barring any unforeseen consequences as Vaderham alluded to above or something else where I managed to violate the rules by knowing a member of the film crew or blabbing all over social media that I was going to be on the show before they actually do my taping. That was one point that the lady who called me was absolutely firm about.

I'm hoping doing this actually doesn't count, because the lady said that they were afraid of me being contacted by the media and doing an interview before I'm actually on camera, in which case, they'd probably have to get their press or legal teams involved, and I don't want that to happen. I guess talking to you guys is cool, since none of you have any idea who I am IRL, unless you do some creepy internet detective stuff and I doubt you guys would risk a ban just to screw me over like that, at least I hope.

escape artist posted:

Kick some rear end, Ghost Stalker. Make flash cards for the categories you're not too great with. J-Archive.com has thousands of games archived, and well, Jeopardy has a way of repeating its questions. Personally, I suck with opera, so I'd go on there and study all the key words and answers for the most commonly asked opera questions.

I might look through J-Archive to prepare, but I'm still pretty busy with classes and work at the moment. Not sure how I'm going to prepare, maybe just by watching the episodes as they're airing and doing my best to answer the clues they offer. Final Jeopardy seems to be tripping me up lately, though I do get most of them if I think about them for a while, especially if I'm reading them in the New York Times.

I dunno, my Jeopardy watching cousin recommended I go through J-Archive and see what categories are popular for Double Jeopardy or Daily Doubles and work on my weaknesses, and I might do that if I have some free time, but that's looking unlikely what with all the stuff I have going on right now. I know some of my weaknesses include literature and especially religion and the Bible, so I think I'll look into working on that if I have the time. Opera, architecture, and botany seem like weaknesses as well, so I'll try and work on them if I do any reviewing. I'm pretty good with history and geography, and science stuff as well, and I think I'm pretty well versed on pop culture, so I should be ok there, except for maybe older movies, TV shows, and actors, and older/some current sports.

I have a month until my taping, so I guess anything can happen up until then. We'll see how this all turns out.

The Human Cow posted:

Also, that pen they give out during the auditions is about the same size as the buzzer, so it's great to practice with at home.

Bah, I think I have that away to a friend. I guess I should practice on something, but hopefully some muscle memory from way back when with buzzers comes back to me when it counts.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 8, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Speaking with my Jeopardy watching cousin about my upcoming Jeopardy appearance, and he said that the only time that he'd stop rooting for Arthur is if I'm facing him on my own episode. Told him it was unlikely that he'd still be on the show by the time my taping rolls around (in 2 weeks! still so goddamn excited!), but if he was, I'd do my best to take him out, one Asian to another (hopefully I don;t look as goony as he does when I'm on camera).

I actually have another cousin named Arthur Chiu, the last name's pronounced the same. Had a good laugh about that at dinner with him.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jeopardy at 7, Wheel at 7:30 is peak civilization.

Yup, that's how it goes here as well. ABC airs both, though I do remember the secondary CBS affiliate out of Long Island used to air the two earlier in the day, but I think they both got dropped during a network reshuffle.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Just got to LA, checked into my hotel room. Can't wait until I meet Alex tomorrow and hopefully get on camera, on my way to establishing a win streak lasting at least 5 episodes.

Checking over my emails from Jeopardy before I left a couple days ag,, I noticed that they actually gave me a tentative air date which I had somehow looked over. I'm slated to air sometime in the next to last week of June to July 4th...

Yeah, that's gonna be a really long wait... I'll keep you guys updated on here when I have more information. Wish me luck!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Bro for real I would stop posting about it now for propriety's sake.

Good luck!

Done and done. No more about this until I get back to New York and tell you guys when my episode airs.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Riptor posted:

If your episode might air July 4th you probably want to bone up on American history questions

Nope, my episode airs on Wednesday, June 25. You guys will find out my real name and how I did then. Watch me then!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

FadingChord posted:

This means he finally got paid. Guess he can finally afford an iron.

They told us that we won't get the check until around 120 days after the episode airs, so he won't be getting his check for a while, I think.

E:f,b

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jeez. How many of you goons have been on? I just heard that a college friend of mine is taping this week, too. My third, no less. It's never going to happen to me, is it?

Huh, maybe I met your college friend when I was taping on Tuesday. What's his/her name?

And it took me two online tests and one audition to get on. One woman who I met while competing had actually gotten on three years earlier, but couldn't make it because she had just started grad school. This time, there was no conflict.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

What was the complicated reason or whatever that dude didn't want to play in the Battle of the Decades?

I think Madden felt that he had a conflict of interest due to his work with a Quiz Bowl which works with the same auditing and compliance firm that Jeopardy does or something like that. I remember a contestant coordinator bringing it up to us when we were in the Jeopardy green room waiting for taping to start.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 4, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Hey y'all guess who got an audition invite for May 30th in DC :whatup:

Congrats! Be prepared to wait a while before they call you up for an episode taping, though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Based off of her current win streak, I can't help but think about something the head Contestant Coordinator mentioned to us potential contestants in the Jeopardy Green Room before our tapings regarding a champion that taped after Arthur Chu but hadn't aired yet and her eventual win streak... Sandie might be the person she hinted at...

Can't mention what exactly she said, due to NDAs and stuff, along with potential spoilers about unaired episodes, but her performance makes me keep thinking about it now...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

Guess not :(

Yeah, I just saw as well... drat, guess I'll have to wait to see who she was referring to...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

I just turned on Jeopardy and the first thing I heard was "What is getting shot in the face.... By Dick Cheney?". I wish I heard the clue for that one.

thathonkey posted:

It was something along the lines of "harry whittington was best known for this." and category was "accidents" iirc. Was a pretty funny response.

Yeah, it was something to that effect. The clue had a date (or was it just a year?) and his name and occupation, and asked what he was best known for.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

I guess it was probably Julia? She's up to seven days now. It's pretty crazy that just the third and fourth women to ever break 5 games have been in the same month.

Yeah, maybe. The head contestant coordinator mentioned quite a streak too, and doing the math between what she mentioned and when my episode is to air, if Julia is the woman she was referring to, then this is about the right time for her streak to be running.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Tom was doing pretty well early, but then fell apart halfway through Double Jeopardy. Too bad he didn't think to bet small so he could've gotten in on a Wild Card spot. Pam has a good chance there, though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Man, Ken Jennings really cleaned up this game, as expected. Blitzed through the last category of Double Jeopardy, added to his lead spectacularly there, over $30k. That first Daily Double with the county bordering France took him a while but he made it at the end. And the repartee he had for the Charles Shultz answer with Alex was great as well. Still, everyone in the negatives right at the beginning after missing a few clues was strange to see.

Tom looks like he'll take a Wild Card, maybe.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, Brad Rutter ran away with this one. Still, him missing the second Daily Double in Double Jeopardy was pretty funny.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, it's going to be tough for him to win this tournament, unless he wins big tomorrow. At least for him both Ken and Brad missed the Final, so they won't be bringing huge amounts into next game. Though they still go decent scores, so those leads may be insurmountable unless he plays really drat well.

Ken needling Roger to do the true Daily Double at the end there was funny though. Craig blowing it and him laughing afterwards at it just added to his misery there...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 16, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Julia is great, and watching her dominate the competition never gets old. Still, I kinda already know how many games she'll wind up winning, due to an aforementioned comment from the head Contestant Coordinator, but it is still fun watching the ride and finding out how much she'll eventually win.

15 games and over $314,000 right now, and she's still crushing the competition every time handily.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can you put it in spoiler tags for me so I don't have to feel nervous every game

I'll send you a PM.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

yourafagpleasedie posted:

They really are cherry picking some stupid drat contenders for Julia. The person answers superman today for the Three Doors Down question when it was in the clue and in the song played???

You do know that the contestants for a particular show are chosen completely at random, right? They literally have a stack of index cards with each potential contestant's name on them (two with stars on the back of the cards to signify people who are holdovers from the previous day and therefore need to get on that day so that the contestant pool doesn't back up) face down, shuffle them, and then draw two off the top, who become the next contestants. I watched it in action just 2.5 months ago when Robert, the Contestant Coordinator in charge of verifying contestant data, pulled my name.

poo poo would be illegal collusion if they did anything else and Sullivan Compliance would be all over them for it.

weakness posted:

First off, I've gone from disliking Julia during her first few games to thinking she's one of my favorite players ever (and she makes my pants feel funny). Second - she broke 10K at the first commercial break?! That's utterly insane. I got the feeling she purposely took her foot off the peddle down the stretch to let her competition get out of the red. Either way, I loved Arthur and I hope and expect Julia to mop the floor with him at this point. Her knowledge base seems miles deeper.

edit: GhostStalker, I'm super excited for your appearance but drat I wish you hadn't let the cat out of the bag on this one.
My bad, I was just excited about learning who the head Contestant Coordinator lady was talking about and seeing her in action. Seriously shutting down people like crazy in her games. I believe I've only told one person here how many games she'll win, and that person wasn't you, so I guess there's still some suspense in seeing her final grand total?

zakharov posted:

Julia actually had a fight in this one but she did her thing again.

Only 1/3 in Finals this week, but that's ok because I have :siren: my audition on Friday!!! :siren:
Good luck!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 29, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Notable things about my audition:

-the equipment malfunctioned and they couldn't project the test questions, so we had Glenn the producer read them to us. I was worried that I'd lose my advantage of being a really fast reader, but I was pretty drat sure about 40-45 of them. I can't reveal what the questions were, but there was one where I could trace my right answer to tooling around on Wikipedia. Overall I thought the test was easier than the online one. Crow Jane was at the audition with me - maybe she'll show up to offer perspective.

-I was in the last group to be called to play, but they told us not to read into that. I did well - they didn't have to tell me to speak up or anything. One of our fellow contestants was the official historian for the US Army, so they was pretty cool. I got asked about the same story as last time, about when I got lost on a family vacation.

Now I just have to wait around for 18 months...

Seriously, good luck. Hope to see you posting here in a number of months saying that you got the call as well.

Also, they tape 5 episodes of Jeopardy a day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Since Julia started her win streak on a Monday and has won a total of 20 games through 4 weeks, they needed 4 days of taping to get all those episodes in the can. So she's only missed 2 days each through 2 weeks, or 3 weeks at most if her first taping was on Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Double post, but Julia lost on schedule. Head contestant coordinator said 20 game champion, and that was 20 games. Knew it was coming, but was still an awesome ride. Over $420k, what a haul. Not bad for 4 days work.

She'll be back for the Tournament of Champions, whenever that airs. Can't wait to see how well she stacks up against Chu.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 3, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

This last Final Jeopardy came to me rather quickly for some reason, even if it did stymie all of the contestants. Malta used to be a British colony/naval port that they used to maintain their naval superiority over the Mediterranean, along with Gibraltar, Crete, and Cyprus, right?

And after the British pulled out of the latter, fighting between the Greek and Turkish parts of that island to this day have never really subsided, so it would makes sense that those two languages would be the ones that would be official languages there. Gibraltar is still a British territory, so that's out, and Crete's been a part of Greece for a while now, so process of elimination makes the answer Malta.

Or am I just over-complicating a relatively simple Final Jeopardy?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, I came up with that Final Jeopardy really quickly, mostly because I'm a huge geography guy and hit instantly on which two countries the clue was referring to, and then easily came up with their capitals. About the only problem I would've had with that clue is spelling Canberra correctly... Everyone always gets tripped up with the capital of Turkey too, since most people think it it Istanbul like Sari did. And then there are the people who think the capital of Australia is Sydney instead of Canberra...

Police officer takes it with a smart bet too, even if he missed Final Jeopardy with the rest of them..

In other news, my official Jeopardy photo with Trebek came in last night, 2 weeks before my episode is to air. I personally think I look terrible in it, but it's not going to keep me from posting it after the episode airs.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 12, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Real simple Final again this episode, but Joe's answer had me cracking up. "Basically a soap opera" indeed.

Darren bet too low despite being in the lead, so he doesn't get to play the next game. Wonder why he decided on that bet amount...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Man, I know they tape these things months in advance (because I'm on next week and my episode was filmed in March), but the sheer incongruity of seeing a clue about Maya Angelou tonight weeks after she passed really hit me. And of course there was no comment by Alex about that after the clue was answered because when the episode was taped, she hadn't yet...

Also, that looked to be the perfect clue during Final Jeopardy for a JAG, even if the category didn't immediately point that way. Too bad she was too far behind. And using an alternate name for the Marine Corps Band, even if it was accepted, showing off her military background there, I guess. Alex basically said as much with the SEAL Team 6 answer; I guess the writers were prepared to just accept plain old Navy SEALs for that one.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 19, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Angie may have lost, but at least it wasn't because she forgot to say "What is" on her Daily Double. That would have been The Worst.

Yeah, that would've been terrible. At least she corrected herself before time ran out. And with that being a True Daily Double, she would've been pretty boned. The other Daily Double in Double Jeopardy was missed and in that attempt they didn't even bother attempting to answer in the form of a question.

Found it funny when Angie looked like she wanted so badly to buzz in and get that Seattle question about Pike Place Market in the Neon category in Double Jeopardy when Troy got to it first.

When it came down to Final, I guessed it rather quickly, but I could see where Angie and Troy could've gotten their own answers from, as all of those companies came into trouble at about the same time. Too bad that the two of them were so close in money that they had to bet big and both missed it.

Eventual winner spent a bunch of time in the negative, especially near the end of regular Jeopardy, but he wound up getting a decent amount then capitalized when he got Final right and the two leaders got it wrong and bet what they did.

Anyway, there'll be one face I've met in person on tomorrow's show when the Champion of the first episode they taped when I was there makes their appearance and wins their game. Won't say much more about them until the episode airs tomorrow so as not to give anything away about who it is that won, but I will say that I struck up a conversation with them on the shuttle ride over to the Sony Studios without ever knowing that they were the returning champion until the head contestant coordinator mentioned it in the contestant green room and did an introduction for them to the rest of us there.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 20, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I was the Asian dude in the middle. Still trying to collect all of my thoughts on my experience, my Facebook blew up with people talking about it and I just managed to get through it all now. Had some family over to watch it with, which was nice. Also had some others come over afterwards to rag on me about losing, but it was all in good fun.

Talk more about my thoughts on the episode and how I did tomorrow.

jscolon2.0 posted:

A friend of mine is on next week. This marks my third friend from my college Quiz Bowl team to make the show before me. If it gives to five, :suicide:

So Beverley did manage to get on a taping the day after I flamed out, and will air next week? That's cool. She was one of the leftover contestants after they taped the last episode on Tuesday, so I'm glad to see she got on Wednesday. She was at the same audition I went to in New York, and then i saw her again on the shuttle from the hotel to the Sony Studios. Can't wait to see how she did!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 26, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

I missed GhostStalkers episode any chance it'll be put up on youtube?

It's already up. Went up before the episode aired in NY too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i3VFZsfE0U

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

Nice. The ones I want never show up when I search for them. Thanks

Yeah, someone I knew through the New York Comic Con volunteer network found the episode before it had aired in New York online and put it on his Dropbox. Then a friend of mine through college said that he forgot to watch it when I went to remind him, and it was already over. He then went and found the episode on YouTube and linked me to it, which I then put on my Facebook.

Apparently it was uploaded the day before or something, or at least really early in the day, so there were some people who were pissed about the episode going up that early...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

GhostStalker nooooo don't post in the JBoard thread! They were being very mean to you!

Need to defend my internet honor! All the feedback to me has been positive from what I've seen on boards I frequent (like here) and my Facebook, so I need to confront some negative commentary as well!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Jboarders can be a bit...caustic, as you've seen. Lots of spergin' going on over there. Shocking for Jeopardy fans, I know.

Seems to be ok for now, but I think most of the previous caustic posters have moved on to the thread about today's game.

Speaking of which, my thoughts on that will be later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

yourafagpleasedie posted:

You really felt goony. How embarrassing it is to go straight for the Asian country category and miss 4 of them?

First of all, gently caress you too.

Second, I'm much more knowledgeable about East Asian geography, and most of the clues in that category happened to be about South Asia and the Middle East, still technically Asia, but not my area of expertise. I have some knowledge of the rest of Asia, but not as much as East Asia. Hurr durr, Chinese guy knowing more about East Asia than the rest of it, stereotypes ahoy. Thought I knew enough about it, but I guess I didn't. Oh well. Really wish I could've gotten all of those questions back, but it is what it is.

The Daily Double clue was about Shanghai and I got that one easily enough, as my expression when they revealed the clue and I was reading through it as Alex read it shows easily enough. I was maybe thinking that I should answer using the Chinese pronunciations of the city name, either in Mandarin (still Shanghai, just more Asian sounding) or in Cantonese (my native tongue, pronounced more like Sheung Hoi, which might've cause me to get it wrong because of the alternate pronunciation) but decided against showing off and just answered it regularly.

One of my cousins blasted me in a text for forgetting the capital of Yemen was Sana'a and not Aden, which I got mixed up on, but otherwise, the category was a pretty poor showing by me. Kept hoping to get an East Asian City clue, but it just didn't happen. Easy come, east go, I guess.

That enough explaining for you, you gigantic douchenozzle?