Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I imagine it's been mentioned multiple times in the thread before, but how does the buzzer timing work on Jeopardy? I remember being told a lot of success in Jeopardy can be had just by mastering the buzzer timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Iron Crowned posted:

Which timeline did I end up in?

You should probably go back if you can.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I didn't watch tonight's episode but I caught... last nights? Or maybe the night before... it's been such a long week... but anyway, I felt like Cooper does fine at reading the clues, but he takes too long to respond after the contestant answers. I don't feel like he's got the rhythm for the show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

xarph posted:

Truly the only worthy successor for Alex Trebek would have been Will Ferrell as Alex Trebek.

I still think it's bullshit that they never had Alex do a full SNL Celebrity Jeopardy episode. I know he got a cameo at the very end but come on, dude could have loving killed

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Who knew that Jeopardy would get its own George Lazenby?

This is the best news I've heard all week. I can't think of a single person that liked Richards (except Richards himself).

I dunno this seems kinda unfair to George Lazenby lol

Iron Crowned posted:

Mike "I just wanted to bbe a moderator" Richards.

lol classic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Are cable companies tracking viewership these days or is it still all based on set-top boxes from the Nielsen company?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Everything's still done with Nielsen because it's just been around forever and it's the info everyone has access to for selling ad time.

mlnhd posted:

I don't think this is true. Someone schooled me on this on the jeopardy reddit.

If your smart TV has content recognition, it is reported.
If you use your cable company's streaming app, it is reported.
If you use Sling or Youtube TV, it is reported.

The only ethical way to watch Mike Richards Jeopardy! episodes is to download them from Usenet and then watch them on Linux while disconnected from the internet. which I do

or just don't let your TV talk to the drat internet, lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Island Nation posted:

I'm watching episode 2 of Celebrity Jeopardy and I'm questioning if edibles were in the green room. These three might be good at their regular jobs but I am unsure if they can do basic arithemic in that state of mind. Might explains Eddie's glasses.

The SNL parody has become real

Haven't seen the episode but your post reminded me of this:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh and also reminded me that we got robbed that SNL never got Alex Trebek to do anything more than a brief cameo on their parody

Maybe there was some contract bullshit with Sony or whatever that prevented it but I firmly believe Trebek would have absolutely killed it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Question for the thread at large: If you were in charge of Jeopardy and had total freedom to make whatever changes you wanted, what would you change to make it better?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I saw a video of an old episode from the 70s and I noticed that it seemed like contestants were able to buzz in before the clue had been fully read (but Fleming still read the whole clue out) - when did that change and was that ultimately a change for the better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zesty posted:

What's got you so into Jeopardy, Farmer Crack-rear end, that you're giving the thread conversation prompts?

The thread's had a "last read" tag for me for a few years now - there was a stretch of time when I watched regularly - so I occasionally pop in and see what's been happening. I think what prompted my post on Wednesday was people talking about contestants' betting, and I feel like usually when that comes up it's people griping about how contestants are so bad at betting, so I wondered if anyone would see the betting aspect of the game as something that could be improved.

The most recent post was prompted when I clicked on RC and Moon Pie's Youtube link to the old 80s theme music, and I followed a couple of recommended videos off of that and wound up on this recording of an episode from 1978. It's striking to me how much more rapid-fire the answers and questions were back then, although I much prefer Final Jeopardy to Super Jeopardy.

I guess I would want to change Jeopardy to make it less dependent on timing the buzzer; I don't find it particularly engaging that someone dominates "merely" by having the best buzzer skill. I know that the response to that is "well the contestants know nearly so many answers that buzzing in ASAP is generally the correct strategy" so perhaps a combination of making it more difficult and perhaps more heavily penalizing incorrect responses (e.g. if you get it wrong you lose twice the value of the clue) would help to deter just mashing the button?

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 15, 2024