Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

banned from Starbucks posted:

If youre having a bad day or feel dumb after a particularly hard episode of jeopardy you can always feel better by watching the morons flail about on Wheel

I can get like 40% to 70% of the answers correct on an average episode of Jeopardy but I will still stare at mostly filled in puzzles on Wheel and have absolutely no clue. Something is wrong with my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Anne Whateley posted:

You never know, my stories are all either like "I like cats and knitting :downs:" or "I watched someone's orifices be sewn shut at a fetish party" without a lot of middle ground. I would probably go with the former on Jeopardy...probably

On your first day on Jeopardy start with the cats and the knitting story, on your second day take that hard right turn and tell the fetish party story.

I love the Jeop contestant interviews because Alex is either genuinely interested and impressed or he looks like a grandpa who has been cornered by a 5 year old talking about his favorite cartoon.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Discount Viscount posted:

It was Bible Books by Character. They didn't even get Revelation!

One of the funniest quirks of Jeopardy is when it comes to a sports or Bible category you usually either get one person running the entire category or 3 blank stares over and over.
\
"Pi to 100 digits."

Everyone tries to click in.

"Superbowl championship team in 2016."

Blank stares.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I liked the lady's story on Tuesday's episode that basically translated to her being so rude to a tour guide she was kicked out of the tour and Alex literally slowly and silently backed away from her and moved on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Gaunab posted:

I just saw someone die a little on Wheel of Fortune.

Sajack looked like he genuinely didn't want to show her that card.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Soothing Vapors posted:

FLIPPING THROUGH PAGES

she figured it out about 3 seconds after the buzzer, which has to make it hurt even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bezrJfi9ds

Welp.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

What was the category/clue?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

comic strip title characters.

these 2 were named for a european “theologian who believed in predestination” & a “philosopher with a dim view of human nature”

Oh wow. Yeah that's a gimme.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

GhostStalker posted:

All Star Team Tournament starts this week, on Wednesday. Get hype!

How does that even work?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

GhostStalker posted:

Three man teams, with one team member playing each round (Single Jeopardy, Double, and Final), two games each. Best total score wins. Apparently, they’re playing two games with 3 teams over 3 episodes from Wednesday on (first day is only the first round and I’m assuming contestant interviews, second day is Double and Final, third day is the second game), then another two game with the other 3 teams next week, then a two day wild card match and finals on Monday and Tuesday the week after in March. I think the Jeopardy FB page had a calendar, lemme find it.

Here:
gently caress, why does the FB app make it so hard to find URLs of pages... otherwise, I wouldn’t need to upload this to imgur to rehost it...

Thanks! This is ridiculous, right? I'm all for ridiculous game show fun, but this seems pretty elaborate for Jeopardy. I imagine the 80 year old elderly demographic will have no idea what the hell is going on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s both a great tournament and not. Great because it really feels like the stakes are real and I’m watching like a sports playoff tournament.

Not great because one round and day definitely sucks. I like everyone and somewhat enjoy all the background, but really I just want more rounds of people fighting it out on jeopardy.

Also, I get they have split rounds , but it’s kind of lame that one player from each team has to do final jeopardy, and literally just be lucky enough to know their answer for one goddamn question.

They should have just had them rotate mid round every 5 questions like when they do the pregame warm ups. I think that could have been more fun.

I don't know what's wrong with just the usual Tournament of Champions thing. This feels so convoluted.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I know people know different things and that dude is way smarter than I am, but not getting that Pulp Fiction question... man. When he bet it all and I saw the question I was like "nailed it, perfect". Then he just didn't answer. How do you not get that!?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Vernacular posted:

I didn't get the Deadpool one, but the fact that "mutant" was part of the clue should have tipped off at least somebody that it was going to be a superhero movie and I don't recall any of the guesses fitting that bill.

I had a brain fart on that one, but yeah I was thinking of what X-Men movie was released that year, not Mamma Mia 2.

Unsurprisingly sometimes the really smart people are really bad at pop culture stuff.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HookShot posted:

Yeah TBH I think if they had made it a full game in each episode right from the start there would have been far fewer complaints (including from me).

I agree. It's probably impossible with the time constraints and wanting to do it the way they wanted, but I'd be okay with the team concept if they played complete games each episode. Although the team concept still seems to sorta run the integrity of the game. It's fun for a few weeks, but having one team player just do final jeopardy and well, they either know it or they don't and that's all they contribute seems weak. They need to tweak some aspects if they want to do this thing again.

I was thinking if they want to do teams of 3, have one person do the first round, two teammates do the second, and then all three team members do final Jeopardy together, and just make the questions insanely hard for double and final jeopardy.

Although most of the questions for this tournament seem insanely hard so I dunno.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I don't know what that buzzer did to that lady, but whatever it did it still doesn't deserve to be treated like that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

That poor buzzer's long national nightmare is over.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

lol, it took Ken Jennings 74 games to get to 2.5 million. In 74 games this guy will be a billionaire.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

WarEternal posted:

C. King must be Batman.

Like, how do you not get that?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I think if you're smart enough to win nearly a million bucks on Jeopardy in a few weeks you're pretty awesome. It's about the game. It ain't the Bachelor.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Spokes posted:

I think more people should play to win on the bachelor

e: Speaking of, I wonder if Chris Harrison is going to find a new game show now that millionaire's dead (i think?). Really enjoy him in the hosting role

Play to win for a non-marriage or a divorce versus a million dollars?

That's certainly a choice.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HookShot posted:

Being awesome at trivia and being a douchebag of a human being are not mutually exclusive things.

I agree. And "Are You A Douchebag?" might be a fun show to watch. But we're watching a trivia show. The dude is owning it. Anyone who knows that many things is probably sometimes bad at parties. It's still something to be respected.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

^^^ Haha, I think these were two different episodes.

packetmantis posted:

Has anyone ever won with $1 and made Johnny say CASH WINNINGS TOTAL... ONE DOLLAAAAARRRRR

I liked the episode I think from last year where everyone went all in on Final and all missed it and everyone left with zero. Welp.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Hannibal Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure he has a severe underbite. I had one myself growing up before I had corrective surgery, and I always looked like that in pictures and videos. It basically makes it impossible to have a normal smile, and I can almost guarantee he's self-conscious about it.

Hopefully the million bucks will let him get over it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Cancel the teacher's tournament jesus christ who gives a gently caress a man is bankrupting America's gameshow.

I have to imagine the producers aren't thrilled about how this worked out. The ratings are skyrocketing and will now take a dump and they can only hope a lot of people still remember in 2 weeks.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

nooneofconsequence posted:

Do ratings bumps really matter to Jeopardy? I assume ratings will normalize by the time their next tv contract is up.

They don't super matter, it's not like Jeopardy isn't going to be renewed in every market at the next contract signing. But they do get to send out press releases like they're the #1 syndicated show for the week and dethroned Judge Judy's 40 week run as the top rated syndicated show. And all the cultural buzz. I don't know how much it matters more than a dick measuring contest within the industry, but I'm sure they'd rather keep the momentum going than to have it killed for two weeks.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Only he kind of is. He has nothing to really gain by going on the show other than proving that he can, it's not like he's a teacher or construction worker where winning 2 or 3 games radically changes their life. Hell, I live quite comfortably as a software engineer, but I would probably openly weep if my winnings got into 6 figures and my student loan debt vanished because I know random poo poo for a tv show.

There were WAY more issues with the biggest douchebag to ever appear on Survivor, Russel Hantz, but one of the biggest things that made the other players especially resent him (besides him literally throwing their clothing into the fire) was that he was already a multi-millionaire owner of an oil company. Who the gently caress wants to give a million dollars to that guy over the cafeteria lunch lady or struggling graduate student sitting next to him? Obviously James is way less of a raging rear end in a top hat (I hope), but it's the best parallel I can come up with in game show history for players resenting having their dream crushed by some rich guy to whom the grand prize means nothing.

Good on him for being able to pull off a streak like this, but it's absolutely understandable to me why he might not be the best person to see winning millions of dollars and crushing the dreams of "more deserving" players who would probably have started streaks of their own if he hadn't been standing in the way.

I hate the rich as much or more than the next guy, but when it comes to game shows the most deserving is the person who wins. I like watching Big Brother and I'm seldom happy with the winner, but I've got to give it up for them. They deserve it. Even if I think they did nothing to earn the win, they did it. And Jeopardy isn't about luck like getting a good wheel spin. If you can buzz in first, get the answer correct, have the balls to bet a billion dollars on every Double, hell, you deserve it.

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest if the games weren't always a runaway, I'd like him a lot better, but just about every game he's in, there's a moment when he's too far ahead and it becomes impossible for the other players to beat him.

If there was regularly a second place contestant coming in $18 short of victory, it would be a lot more fun to watch. As it stands, James gets the insurmountable lead early in the second round and the rest of the game is just boring as poo poo, you can even see the other players lose their will to finish the game.

Personally I like the schadenfreude of seeing that moment when the other players want to give up and it's taking everything they have to not just run off the stage and into a taxi.

At the end of the day everyone on Jeopardy are really smart and it's just a game show. I play good at home, but I would die if I was up there.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

packetmantis posted:

Didn't James say he's going to donate his winnings to charity? That's pretty cool.

Did he? That's cool. I hope it's for an animal cause.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HookShot posted:

Maggie specifically told our group in the green room to avoid the Forrest Bounce and do things in order.

My bet is there are people out there who would do it simply because that was the instruction, even if they'd rather bounce around.

If I was a contestant, sure I'd like to make the producers and Alex happy, but I think I'd rather have 1.6 million dollars.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Gaunab posted:

I don't think bed surfing should have counted.

I agree with that. I have never ever heard that phrase. "Bed surfing"? Would floor surfing or bathtub surfing worked? I think the judges messed up on that one.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

A Tasteful Nude posted:

That final jeopardy wager tonight. WHY.

I was baffled why both didn't go all in, because if it was me I would assume the other guy would be doing that. But neither did so I guess they were both right not to? I dunno.

christmas boots posted:

TBH I rarely get interested in the competitive aspect of Jeopardy; I'm just tuning in to try and answer the questions myself. James is at least interesting to me because he plays so aggressively compared to his opponents.

I'm also just enthralled by his mastery of so many different topics. He's just so quick and doesn't seem to have a weak area. He gets the pop culture stuff, the history stuff, geography, sports. It's really amazing to watch.

There's a good chance he's the most insufferable "Well, actually..." Guy in real life, but I'm having a blast watching him on tv.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 24, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Spokes posted:

James doesn't have to go all-in, he just has to bet enough to beat Nate's all-in.

Because Nate knows James has to bet enough to cover his all-in, Nate can then second-level and bet low enough that he wins if they both miss.

This is the case any time the second place player has more than 2/3 the leader's score, if they have less than that (but more than 1/2, otherwise it would be a runaway) they need to get it right AND the leader has to miss.

I would botch betting so bad on Jeopardy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, this is a thing. During one of the finals of a Tournament of Champions like 5 years back, Kristin Sausville was taking so long with her bet because she was trying to figure out every possibility, that Alex walked up during the long break and “jokingly” asked if she wasn’t good with math (har har, another Uncle Alex moment). You kinda do have all the time you need within reason to figure your Final Jeopardy wager, doubly so during tournaments, so she took as much advantage of that as she could.

And yeah, my own wager was kinda straightforward, but in the heat of the moment underneath the lights (even if wagers are made during a break for commercials) can make you mess up your math badly or forget all about the betting strategy you attempt to remember/learn/memorize.

It’s why I wish Keith Williams still did The Final Wager daily analysis of those wagers. Though I guess his website is still up, in addition to Andy Saunders’ Jeopardy Fan guide linked above. https://thefinalwager.com

Erring. Sorry, I’m somewhat obsessive about proper word usage in cases like that.

Can you explain the dude in second place on Friday who didn't bet it all? Like that would be my instinct. And I can't remember the totals going into FJ but I think if he had bet it all he would have beat James. If you don't win you get 1k or 2k which ain't much after taxes either way. Why not go all in, even if you don't know the category? Maybe you get lucky and know the answer or guess right. Like if there's a time to go for broke in your life that's the time. Either you win or you come in second or third, and if you don't win you still mostly have enough money to fly home and have a nice dinner.

But I'm a moron who couldn't be on Jeopardy so I obviously don't get it. I could beat Wolf Blitzer, tho! But who couldn't?

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 25, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MD2020 posted:

James had $31,200 going into Final Jeopardy and successfully wagered $20,908 for a final total of $52,908. This would have covered Nate's final total of $51,600 had Nate successfully risked it all.

As noted above, if you are in second place and have 2/3 of first, I believe the optimal strategy* is to bet just enough to surpass first place's total going in to FJ, assuming (a) first place wagers enough to cover second place doubling up, and (b) third place isn't a threat to win.

If first place has $10,000 and I have $8,000 going in to FJ, I should bet $2,001. Assuming first place bets $6,001 to cover me, I win if I'm right and he's wrong, or if we're both wrong ($5,999 vs $3,999).

*I think I saw at least once where this backfired; had second place bet it all, they would have beaten first place's successful wager

Oh cool, thanks. Bad at math!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Seconding this. I like when someone just comes in and cleans house and makes it incredibly difficult because for me it makes it more interesting to see if anyone gets close to Knocking him off. However I see a lot of people going through Jeopardy withdrawal when he finally loses and everything just goes back to playing the game in order and making pathetic Final Jeopardy Wagers

It'll be weird to after a month of games with 50,000 or 80,000, or 100,000 final scores we go back to "and Billy Bob wins with 7,850 dollars!"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Zero One posted:

Odd that they didn't edit that slip up out.

What happened?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Zero One posted:

After the first break and contestant stories Alex said the wrong name of who had control of the board. Not just mispronouncing but saying one of the other contestants. Then you could hear talking from offstage. Alex says he saw the wrong signal from offstage and he corrected himself.

Wow, yeah it is surprising they didn't edit that out.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Spokes posted:

yeah, i could see *maybe* not being able to pull the author but they didn't even ask for it!

I would have blown it because I thought they were asking for the author's name. Welp.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically the whole setup is that she's still Murphy Brown and is living with her Millennial YouTube (or was it blog) journalist son. It was just about as painful to watch as you would expect. My parents also really liked the dog for some reason.

I think he was working for a Fox News-ish type channel. But the show was painfully bad because it wasn't funny. It was a really weird choice to reboot. They're rebooting Designing Women soon and it's like who could this possibly be for in 2019? I watched Murphy Brown as a kid and maybe it was more political than I remember, but all the promos for the reboot were like "The voice we need is back at this important time!" and I was like do what now? Yeah sure, that one time Dan Quayle bitched about a fictional character over being an unmarried mother, but we seem to be far past that point and mostly it was a standard workplace sitcom.

But I got the answer right!

I also like that someone chose "Roseanne Connor" as their answer which was wrong in so many ways.

HookShot posted:

I did not know there was a Murphy Brown reboot.

Apparently no one did.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Spokes posted:

finally taped my (first??) episode(s??) this week! What a blast. I'll post again closer to airdate so everyone can watch and cheer and/or mock me.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Timby posted:

My guess was Shel Silverstein. Whiffed hard.

But, yeah, that was a vaguely worded Final.

I got nowhere close to the right answer. I wouldn't have gotten it with a better written clue, but it was crazy vague.

edit: I picked Dahl, even though I knew that probably wasn't correct.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 26, 2019