Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Weird. I registered on 4/1 but never got an email update with my online test time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Yikes. I maybe got a 35. Once again, 75% of the questions were ballet, opera, & literature and mostly at maximum difficulty level. I don't know how people can ace tests like this and then completely bite the dust on the televised show.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Dr Zaius posted:

gently caress this, I wish I had taken the Eastern time zone test after looking at the questions.

Holy poo poo, I just looked and those clues were solvent-huffingly easy compared to the humanities dissertation that was tonight's test.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Some random questions for anyone who's been a contestant:

If you get the call to come to the studio for a taping, it's not a guarantee you'll be a contestant on the show. But if you don't get to be a contestant, are you basically just... out the cost of the round trip ticket + lodging?

After a show, when Alex walks over to shake everyone's hands and chat about how the game went, is the theme music & applause really happening at that point, or is it quiet while everyone listens to the conversation?

From what I've read, people in the contestant pool are part of the studio audience while other contestants play the game. Does this mean people potentially get to ask Alex random questions before he interviews them later on?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just got home, it's a 5 hour drive each way.

I kicked its rear end, I think. At least, I feel WAY better than I did at my last audition back in 2009, with way fewer blank or uncertain questions on the written test(s). We actually took two tests, they wanted to test us on last year's test as well to compare the two in terms of difficulty. The first one I think I outright didn't know 5, and the second was only 3. I know one I hosed up that I realized about 30 seconds after I turned it in, but most of the ones I blanked on had to do with rap, which is my kryptonite.

I rocked the practice game, not missing any questions and buzzing in way more than I did last time.

Highlight of the day was during the warm-up to get us acquainted with the game and explain some poo poo about clues (like how Before&After works....dunno why anyone getting to this stage wouldn't know what, but it was a good warm-up). The clue was under "Quotation Marks", and was something like "O_u": Capital of Burkina Faso What is Ouagadougou, one of my favorite world capital names.

I shot my hand up thinking I was racing people but I don't think anyone else raised their hand, and I think the lady running it was pleasantly surprised that I didn't butcher the pronunciation. It was a nice confidence boost, anyway.

But I feel so much better about this than my last try, I think my first buzz-in not being a wrong answer helped by not derailing me right away (which is what I think killed me last time). My interview was pretty smooth and I think it stood out from almost everyone else answering"What do you like to do for fun?" with "I like to travel."

Hey, I remember that Ouagadougou clue from my audition last summer. I missed like 3 art & religion questions on the written test and blanked on an easy Steinbeck clue in the practice game, but the practice game isn't really about getting all the clues. I think my interview/camera presence was kinda meh, but I'm still in the pool until next January. The one thing that kept nagging me after the practice game was "did I really beat the other players on the buzzer, or did the coordinator throw it to me out of fairness?"

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 6, 2019

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo there's some of each, that wasn't hidden at all when I've gone. If two people are milliseconds apart on the buzzer, and one person's answered five questions already and the other's answered none, you want to see how the second person handles it, can they function, do they speak up, do they know it, etc.

Huh. I probably had tunnel vision from the performance anxiety but the coordinator's response seemed to be the same for all buzz-ins.

User posted:

She's unlocked the remarkable achievement of being even more unlikeable than the :spergin: she beat. And she's not nearly as good either, as her stats show. She's good and she got lucky, both great traits. I wish her well and hopes she wins many dollars, but she's not going to have a 30+ run because she's just not that good.

Likeable schmikeable. I hope she gets into the ToC at the very least. Emma's efficient, no-bullshit demeanor is a breath of fresh air after 33 episodes of James' douchey theatrics.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

zakharov posted:

It turns out finding and hitting every Daily Double is a good strategy, more players should try that.

All you have to do is look at the clue like you suspect it's trying to bullshit you.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I just feel like he has nothing even vaguely resembling a personality, at least that comes through on screen. I don't hate him like I hated someone like James, but he's incredibly boring (and has no idea how to wager).

I mean, Alex Jacob wasn't exactly captain charisma (or even a snappy dresser), but it was still entertaining to watch him play. I actually get slightly more annoyed by contestants like Austin Rogers who are skilled but get a little carried away with the high-energy antics.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Groovelord Neato posted:

I believe I heard or read that Ken said he'd start depressing the button while Alex was partway through the last syllable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmMX6EmyesI

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I wasn't that mad about the ones announced earlier but these suck rear end and how long is this poo poo supposed to go on anyway

At this rate, we're going to have Lou Dobbs and Curt Schilling as guest hosts.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

HookShot posted:

I was honestly surprised when there was a poll done in one of the J! groups at the part people were most concerned about when going on the show and the overwhelming answer was the interview. I don't think I gave mine a shred of thought since I always fast forward through them and assume everyone else does, too.

And yeah that one with the guy wearing his horse hoof hands was funny, and it got posted on the Facebook page.

Even if 90% of the audience skips the interviews, to an aspiring contestant with moderate social anxiety it still means millions of people are going to watch you try to make small talk with a celebrity for 20 seconds. And as we've seen in the last page or so, it only takes a handful of people with DVRs to light your rear end up on Twitter if you crash & burn. I'm not surprised in the least that the fear of a foot-in-mouth interview being immortalized on social media looms larger than garden variety mistakes like missing an easy clue or making a dumb wager.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The one about the definition of work. It is not always a change in KINETIC energy, it can also be a change in potential.

Work is more accurately (and more commonly) defined as a force applied over a distance, regardless of path, resulting in a net energy change to the system. There's a slight argument to be made that the work does result in motion so there is "instantaneous" kinetic energy that then converts to potential, but it's weak. If you look at that motion as a sequence of infinitesimal intervals there is no velocity and the energy is being instantly "absorbed" into some form of potential (e.g. pressing on a spring to compress it, lifting an object up against gravity, etc.). The object is also generally moving at a constant velocity if you look at the process as a unified whole, except at the very beginning and end, which further demonstrates the direct conversion from work to potential. That's not even getting into anything beyond basic classical physics, it gets even hazier in the realm of quantum or statistical mechanics.

I had work pop up in my brain, but then dismissed it with, "Well, that's usually more to do with potentials, so what else could it be..."

I got that one wrong, too. My guess was "flux".

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I guessed Queen due to the recent movie and "We Are the Champions"

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Maybe it’s an ABC vs NBC thing? The NBC station where I grew up always had Wheel of Fortune at 7, then Jeopardy. But ABC7 shows Jeopardy first.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The five anecdotes on the Jeopardy audition form was intimidating enough for me. I don't think I have the ingredients to be on Wheel. No military service, no spouse, one temperamental tuxedo cat who I resent half the time...

Also, I'm just a flat-out mediocre hangman player.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Maybe Laura Coates finally gets a shot, aces it, and we put all this 2021 ugliness behind us as quickly as possible. Of course every chud would tune out because she worked for the globalist Fauci News Network...

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

True daily double would be fine, that's infinitely preferable to somehow thinking you have a cool catchphrase you've copyrighted with "all in" and miming pushing a pile of chips.

It bugs me when people are ambiguous on an early DD, though, when they could wager more than they have as the max. Is a "true daily double" what you have, or the max wager? Same for "everything", or someone in the most recent TOC I remember saying "Do it". I wonder if they clarify and edit that part out, because sometimes they get the full $1000/2000, sometimes they only double up.

I’m pretty sure “true daily double” is understood as “what you have”. The host always reminds players that they can wager up to $1000. So if they’re going for the biggest risk, they can respond “Let’s do it”, “I’ll bet a thousand” or just “one thousand”. Saying “let’s make it a true daily double” in such a low-stakes moment is extra dumb.

I vaguely remember this happening once, years ago. It was probably a combination of nerves & fixating too hard on getting a chance to say the phrase. Alex was like “for $800 if you’re correct” at which point the player realized their mistake.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah chalk me up as another person who thought locusts was too much of a gimme and went with frogs instead. :sigh:

Shoutout to Guhan too, if he had gone all in on his first DD he'd have had Matt tied up going into Final and won the game. Tough break dude, but at least he gave Matt more a fight than anyone since the break ended

Yeah to me he essentially threw in the towel and acquiesced to 2nd/3rd when he made that wager. If you're serious about trying to unseat a player like Matt, you need to bet huge when you luck into a DD even if the category is Legends of Badminton. Otherwise you're just hoping he makes a disastrous unforced error late in Double Jeopardy or violates the Claven Rule in final which ain't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

christmas boots posted:

I think Sam looks like a cross between Steve Martin and Mandy Patinkin

I was thinking a cross between Steve Martin and Sydney Pollack, but I can see the Patinkin-ness now that you mention it...