Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Poque posted:

Still astonished by an 18 game run by someone who never felt unbeatable. I liked him.
Yeah, sad to see him go. Had a humility in a way James didn’t (but wasn’t as good). By the way I’m remaking Crystalex. Was reading the old thread from 2004 and you had nice things to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

edit: removed

Orzo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 13, 2021

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

You guys track your coryat scores? What kind of scores are you getting? I started watching the show a week into James' run and I get anywhere from 12 to 30 a night.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Who here competes in LL? I just finished my first rookie season.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

mennoknight posted:

I switch between A and B Taiga, depending on the season.
Impressive. I think it will take me a year or two to get to A. I finished first in my rookie division, which will put me in B (Maelstrom) but I think getting to A is going to be very difficult.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Can someone please paste a new invite to the discord?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Edit: I think this is against the rules of the site I found the data so I'm removing it

Orzo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 3, 2020

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Zesty posted:

Why was that early question designed to poo poo on black people? The Rastafarianism one.

The writing has been really loving awful for a while now.
Can you explain what was wrong with this question? I missed the episode so I don't know if there was some banter outside of what is recorded on j-archive.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I've watched the episode now, and the answer appears to be 'absolutely nothing'

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

so what was the deal with the rastafarian clue? bunch of people asked

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Zesty posted:

Come back to a thread to a bunch of responses, including this guy who made several posts on it, ending in this one, before I even got back to the thread.

Hey, I just wanted to clarify that I actually watched the episode for myself, as I had explicitly stated in the first post that I hadn't. It wasn't really about impatience with your lack of reply.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Poque posted:

TOURNAMENT

OF

CHAMPIONS

LET'S GO MACKENZIE
TEAM ZUFF

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I was all about defending Ryan for his excitement in his first game that some people called rude, but this time his attitude was just poor sportsmanship. Unfortunate.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I'm not sure why it's a garbage question. French Blue and Prussian Blue are both 'things', and even if you didn't know that, you could get the answer from the dates of the Franco-Prussian war.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Being this unstoppable juggernaut and not knowing a 200 dollar level clue Final Jeopardy about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is really funny. Then again Ken lost on a fairly easy one (but not that easy).
I don't think this question was anywhere as near as easy as you're characterizing it. I barely got it right, and I just saw the movie for the first time 6 months ago.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

HookShot posted:

https://deadline.com/2022/03/abc-premiere-dates-holey-moley-the-chase-who-do-you-believe-1234978943

So The Chase is being renewed, but notably the new Chasers are not all white men thanks to the addition of Victoria Groce (who is amazing!) (and also Buzzy!).

And in news that's going to make all of us dream for a better world than Sony is going to offer us, Ken is no longer a Chaser.
Victoria Groce? There's a name I recognize--she smokes everyone on BPTrivia.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

HookShot posted:

There was a time not all that long ago when a fuckup of this proportion would have led to the contestant being brought back on a future date, but now it’s just par for the course.
I know this is a couple days old, but just catching up on the thread. I remember watching this and thinking it was odd, but IIRC he changes his answer to 'hare' right before she says incorrect. It's possible she was about to say 'be more specific' before he blurted out a blatantly wrong answer, the (March) Hare being a totally different Wonderland character.

Edit: Just rewatched it. Mayim breathes in as she's about to say something to 'rabbit', and then he says 'A hare', and then she says incorrect.

Orzo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 5, 2022

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Ken is such a good host. When he did his first week of it I actually didn't think he was right for the part despite really liking him, but he's gotten so good at it that I can't fathom anyone else at this point.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I like her but I agree that talking after missing a clue--a time when other contestants are possibly still thinking about the question and/or waiting for the silence cue to ring in--is really bad. I don't think she's doing it intentionally since it fits her style.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

She'd never do something like that, way too risk averse. I think we've seen her wager everything....just a couple of times? (not counting when she finds the first DD on the second clue like yetserday)
But it's the exact same risk as betting $1, in this case. If she gets it wrong, she loses, no matter what she wagered (unless it was $0).

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Mattea is so good. I'm consistently shocked at how much American History stuff she knows despite being Canadian. Her mannerisms are fine, but I wish she would stop saying 'oh that's not right' or whatever after she gets something wrong, because that's when other contestants are trying to focus since the question is still in play.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sounds like good strategy.
I suppose if the showrunners don't stop it, it's fair game.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Get out of here Mayim

That's correct

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

lol

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

every time she holds some stupid long pause after a contestant guess i genuinely yell at the tv. not as loud as all these completely cucked 2k daily double bets though, how has NO ONE learned from james after the last few years? just go big! who cares?????
Going big on DD only works if you actually know everything, like James.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Another interesting coincidence: a question about Vangelis, days after he died. RIP.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I would just like to say that Ryan is awesome. That is all.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, another 'texting abbreviations' category where not a single loving one of them is anything that anybody actually uses. Every time.

Also, what a terrible FJ. I also went with Handmaid's Tale and was actually pretty confident it was correct. I guess Canterbury Tales isn't poetry so shame on me, but... who the hell cares about some crappy Dan Brown book that isn't even one of the big two?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Consider me uneducated because I don't know what you're both referring to. Is there some word for the Romani that sounds like 'jeopcoin'? I only know the word that most people know.

Edit: Now it occurs to me that you probably just mean the first syllable.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Apparently the producers can see every pen stroke written for FJ (and review the video of how it was done), so I'm betting they did an analysis of that answer and concluded it was incomplete. For the record I can't see an N there at all. It's almost completely illegible.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Yungsheng almost definitely said 'Tristam Shandy' yesterday. I re-listened to it several times. Mayim failed to call him out (Alex has called people out for not saying Tristram correctly multiple times).

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I too guessed Watergate Hotel and honestly don't know why one would know which one--that, or the correct answer--was the right one to pick. Poorly designed/written question. They could have added a qualifier like 'notorious from over a century before' or something.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

So, I guess Casablanca has a character named 'Elsa' now?

Edit: I guess I am wrong and that's pretty much how it's said in the film, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70VxbNVzsg

Orzo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 9, 2022

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

It was 2 weeks.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

FYI: Most of Ken's original run is free to watch on pluto.tv right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why should they put a disclaimer if the clue is correct? She's the Queen of Denmark until she isn't.
The disclaimer is to emphasize the date of the game, usually. If someone was watching it as a rerun in a few months, it wouldn't be true anymore.