Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
41, which is better than I expected and better than last time. I passed on at least 3 and got a couple wrong, but I stopped myself from typing "cocoa chanel" and maybe I'll get a bonus point for correctly spelling "deoxyribonucleic acid" in under 15 seconds.

quote:

Pluto isn't a planet.

But the element was named during the period when Pluto was considered a planet...

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, and that's the reason it's not the right answer, the planet bit is ambiguous.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jennings could just not want to do it; knowing a lot and being funny in print doesn't mean he'd make a good performer.

My girlfriend just got called up for the New York audition; she already totally embarrasses me at bar trivia so this should be interesting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Job never complained to god, that was the entire point of his story...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

escape artist posted:

My guess was 28. Obviously, 91-50 = 41, I figured Canada had 13 provinces... but I'm not up on my Canadian geography.

I was only off by one, which was better than I expected.

Still kicking myself for guessing Jodie Foster for the final, though. I thought Aliens was much earlier than 1987 for some reason. It's also not quite accurate to say that it "spawned a great series" when pretty much everything with xenomorphs in it beyond the first two movies is crap.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Contact.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
C'mon, if you're going to make a wild guess in a category about scientists, at least name an actual scientist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jscolon2.0 posted:

To be fair, I'd have been thrown off by the shooting reference because that sounds way too edgy for a Jeopardy clue.

I did guess Oscar Pistorius because of that "bullet in the gun" thing :downs:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A couple of months ago there was a bible category and someone ended up giving the answer "What is 'Am I my brother's keeper?'?". I've always wondered if they would have accepted that without the "what is" since it's already in the form of a question.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Let's take this time to discuss how stupid it is that in the year 2013 there is no online Jeopardy game.

Seeing as the choice between the existence of online Jeopardy and Google is mutually exclusive, I'll take the latter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've always used the phonetic spelling rule and being a test of knowledge and quick thinking how to spell words or at least how to make a pretty good guess at writing a pronunciation are part of the challenge. I don't know why this is so controversial. I know they're supposed to go easy on the kids but they aren't giving out participation ribbons here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Mat. is actually the dumbest human on earth.

e: This september 11th famous phrase was said on september eleventh by september eleventh guy in what year?

Umm is it 1944 I'm a STUPID gently caress

Was that actually a famous thing? I live in NYC and I've never heard of that guy or heard anyone say that, with the possible exception of trailers for 9/11 movies years ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wasn't counting my score but I have a feeling it was quite bad, I left several blank and at least easy one I completely bungled.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think I put burlap for that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lightsaber :ughh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

RRRRRRRGH how was Secret Service a triple stumper?? There's only one agency that deals with counterfeiting and protection!

Is it so surprising that everyone went for the one with "financial protection" right there in its name?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Friggin' Randy Newman - I was so sure about him too :(

I also went with him :saddowns:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who Winston Is Churchill

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Kind of surprised only one person got Don Quixote. Maybe the "title characters" bit threw them off, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

Me too. He's only the most famous "mad knight" in all of literature.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's just another case of the needs of winning diverging from the needs of being entertaining to watch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A screw is a wedge twisted into a helix :v:

I had a larger bone to pick with the 404 question as URLs haven't referred exclusively to files for a long time (for maximum pedantry the HTTP spec doesn't refer to files either, it's just a general "I don't have what you asked for" condition).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 1, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What kind of chess do these people play :psyduck:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

It was adorable how in the FJ tonight they phrased it as "fell asleep" instead of the reality, which was "passed out from being completely hosed up on opium"

Yeah, that's what led me to it, not the India connection.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the intro yesterday he had the weirdest slow smile since Herman Cain.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

I don't find him especially annoying, and I like that he keeps the game moving. People that take 5 seconds to pick the next clue should be shot.

Keeping the game moving is good but he needs to stop stepping on Alex's prompts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That article says that quiz bowl is typically played without an audience, so it's still valid to say it's annoying to watch :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

the main character of the Blacklist is Raymond Reddington not Red Reddington (though his nickname is Red)

Yeah, they should have put quotes around Red.

Can't believe nobody got the Mark Twain or Monkey's Paw clues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guessed Kool-Aid, forgetting that it was supposed to be an abbreviation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Piper posted:

Somewhere, Lisa Simpson is irate at Rob's Daily Double response.

Everywhere, nerds are irate at 3 wrong answers in a row for the LOTR question.

e: Also, can someone with the show recorded post a screengrab of the Shutterfly clue? I work there and I want to show it around to everyone.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 1, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Give that penguin the ten thousand dollars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, I imagine doing mental math with four- and five-digit numbers in the heat of the moment isn't a lot of people's strong points.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was it just me or did Alex say "Linda Bird Johnson"? Nobody came out of that question looking good.

Also, final was a bit deceptive as neither of those states existed in 1721. Of course everyone would gravitate to the East Coast for the time period given.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I thought the clue was asking the contestants to name the woman (daughter) who was in the photo with LBJ? I was only partially paying attention, mind you, so I might be wrong.

According to a combination of J-archive and Wikipedia this is correct. The clue referred to her "1967 White House wedding" so it makes more sense in hindsight that no one tried to guess Ladybird.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Colonial Air Force posted:

I thought it was Mt. Vesuvius, too.

I registered for the online test, then I got an email the other day that said my registration wasn't finished. So I logged on again to finish the registration, and it says I'm already registered.

I guess we'll see if I get to take the test next week or not!

This happened to me too, but I calm myself with the knowledge that there's no way I'd qualify anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I skipped a few but I'm fairly confident in all but a handful of the ones I did answer, so I probably got around 40 as well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Do the answers get posted online anywhere? Think I did well aside from the opera and geography questions

Not officially but they'll show up on other Jeopardy boards before too long.

e: Do they get posted officially? Whenever I've gone googling around for old tests the top results are always random forum threads.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 27, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did the guy post the matching questions? I think I got around 34 also.

vvvvvvvv "genus" was the response to something along the lines of "in the scientific name equus quagga, quagga is species and equus is this"

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 27, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How does nobody know the term "World Wide Web" any more :corsair:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That and there being no geography categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Mode" :lol:

He was thinking of Edna Mode, the parody of Edith Head in The Incredibles.