Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I've never fully beaten this game despite being one star away from finishing it. drat that star. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Robotfisherman posted:

I'm interested in how this'll play out. This game does a great job of making each level feel a little more unique than Galaxy 1.

I still like Galaxy 1 better for setting (a more expansive, impressive feel), though this does have a lot of gameplay improvements.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Mario Galaxy 2 is like the best 3D platformer of all time. God, I love this game and wish my Wii's disk drive didn't eat it recently, or this LP would have me playing it all over again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

I will say, I'm a bit disappointed at Spaceship Mario being an extremely weak hub world compared to some of the ones came before it, with pretty much nothing to do except go to levels. There wasn't any sense of exploration or progress, just a giant map screen.
Streamlining. Time spent walking around a hub world like the observatory is time not spent doing fun poo poo.

ZLF Aurora
May 4, 2012
I don't forsee myself being able to play this game in the foreseeable future, and what better way to experience it than Diabetus? Looks promising so far.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Diabetus posted:

It's a complete improvement over Galaxy 1, which is a bummer because it didn't sell nearly as well.
But it sold well, right? I mean, it's a core Mario title.

Edit:

Ambitious Spider posted:

I prefer the first one, but Galaxy 2 is still mighty fine.
Can you go into this more? I'm legitimately curious as to how one can feel this. Not that Galaxy 1 isn't a loving excellent game, but I honestly can't think of any reason to prefer it over the sequel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Streamlining. Time spent walking around a hub world like the observatory is time not spent doing fun poo poo.

I was more thinking of something like Delfino Plaza, which had things to do, secrets to get, and it evolved as you got farther through the game, giving a sense of progress. I felt like I was doing something in Sunshine, helping people out, changing the world, whereas this it was more "OK, done with this level, now I only need 5 more MacGuffins until I get to the boss"

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm kinda glad Rosalina doesn't factor so heavily into this game, especially after certain goons got so creepy about her before. I'm looking forward to seeing this, and drat I love the new music.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

I was more thinking of something like Delfino Plaza, which had things to do, secrets to get, and it evolved as you got farther through the game, giving a sense of progress. I felt like I was doing something in Sunshine, helping people out, changing the world, whereas this it was more "OK, done with this level, now I only need 5 more MacGuffins until I get to the boss"

I agree with this. Hub worlds that let you explore or even develop are preferable to stationary set pieces that remain the same throughout the game. Now I maybe remembering wrong, but I think the Face-ship changes throughout the game a bit. But I can see how this game might get a little toll-bridgey.

Anoia posted:

I'm kinda glad Rosalina doesn't factor so heavily into this game, especially after certain goons got so creepy about her before. I'm looking forward to seeing this, and drat I love the new music.

I like to think of this as an alternate reality where Mario ended up going on another space-related adventure instead of the first. Which means no Rosalina. But it's a Mario game so story means about as much as the laws of physics.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think Sunshine had generally more emphasis on the story around the game than any of the other main Mario games. SMG2 doesn't have a lot of interest in creating a story, it just cuts straight to the game, and that never bothered me.
One thing that Sunshine does differently is that everything is more connected. The game was set on a single island, every level has the overarching theme of "tropical island" and despite the fact that you traveled through portals, you can imagine Mario physically moving to the zone. Hell, you can even see other levels from some spots.
In Mario 64 and Galaxy 1+2, this connection is much less present. You just teleport from one place to another, and that new place has nothing to do with the hub or the previous level. I'm not saying that it's impossible to have vastly different sceneries and still establish a story, Kid Icarus: Uprising had some heavily varying scenes and still a pretty solid story around that. But I do think it just allows more variety for less explaining.
Instead of coming up with a story as to why they're going from a Ice-World to a Lava-World and then, after a Grass-World or two, back to another Ice-World, you can just string them together, and the player will just assume that's just how it's aligned.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Just when I got all caught up on Mico's LP of Galaxy 1! Nice timing Diabetus.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can you go into this more? I'm legitimately curious as to how one can feel this. Not that Galaxy 1 isn't a loving excellent game, but I honestly can't think of any reason to prefer it over the sequel.

I'm not Ambitious Spider, but I prefer 1 to 2 simply because I really dislike the toll-bridgey (as FauxGateau put it) map layout. I'd take a relatively unchanging but still aesthetically pleasing hub world over a grid any day. v:shobon:v

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

asymmetrical posted:

I'm not Ambitious Spider, but I prefer 1 to 2 simply because I really dislike the toll-bridgey (as FauxGateau put it) map layout. I'd take a relatively unchanging but still aesthetically pleasing hub world over a grid any day. v:shobon:v

I don't really like the Hub World in Galaxy 1 because it was really easy to get lost and a pain in the rear end going back and forth for the comet stars.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Don't have a Wii but I loved Mario so I'm really interested in what they've done with the series. Love your commentary so far.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
edit: Double post

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004
Love it.

Also re: hub world vs. toll-bridge maps - Galaxy 2's format never bugged me despite being restricted to a galaxy or two at a time. Each environment and star fetch quest is so unique that I always got excited about what was coming next and never felt like being deprived of path choices in a platforming game like this was really that much of a downside. I just wanted to do them all!!! And you'd get to them all in due time.

I'll post Part II either tonight or early tomorrow since the first video is the same thing I posted in the Sandcastle awhile back and that'd get some new content going. From there it'll probably be every few days or weekly for updates, depending on how long it takes me to record new footage and get people willing to talk to me for 20 minute increments.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

FauxGateau posted:

I like to think of this as an alternate reality where Mario ended up going on another space-related adventure instead of the first. Which means no Rosalina. But it's a Mario game so story means about as much as the laws of physics.
I'm pretty sure that at the end of Galaxy 1 the universe was destroyed and recreated or something so I think this literally is a repeat of the events of Galaxy 1 but things happen differently this time around.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010
I'm glad you can finally LP this, Diabetus! I'm especially excited since I've never played 2 before. Excellent LP so far, I can't wait to see more.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is SMG2 that much of an improvement on SMG1? I got tired of 1 pretty quickly when I wanted to play it. Wow, Bowser kidnapped Peach, Why hasn't she contracted Stockholm syndrome at this point. She's been recaptured every other year for the last 27 years. You would think Mario would lose his love trip after that long. I mean he doesn't seem to keep Peach for very long.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LeoMarr posted:

Is SMG2 that much of an improvement on SMG1? I got tired of 1 pretty quickly when I wanted to play it. Wow, Bowser kidnapped Peach, Why hasn't she contracted Stockholm syndrome at this point. She's been recaptured every other year for the last 27 years. You would think Mario would lose his love trip after that long. I mean he doesn't seem to keep Peach for very long.

Tell me more about your standup routine. I'm sure it kills at open mic night. :allears:

Falky
Feb 4, 2012

Bow ties are cool.
I'll be keeping an eye on this. I remember being somewhat apprehensive about the game when it was announced. I thought it would just be a shameless rehash, but it turned out to be amazing. The aforementioned toll-bridge hub world isn't the greatest, but it's a minor thing and the game keeps things fresh enough that it doesn't feel like you're just going from A to B.

Hobbittastic
May 25, 2010

problem brah?
Really excited for this! Personally, I don't like using the Wiimote so I haven't played the Wii much; usually watched my old roommate play, so I'm glad to see Diabetus lets playing this!

Also, does this game just look hard to control or is it pretty easy to get used to? The gravity bits and the camera look like they'd be a little weird, but I've never personally played. I've always liked how the game looks and what they were going for, so I hope it's as fun to control.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anoia posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Mario games since Mario 64; who is Rosalina? Some sort of Princess Peach equivalent for Luigi?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Mario games since Mario 64; who is Rosalina? Some sort of Princess Peach equivalent for Luigi?

She from the first Super Mario Galaxy. She the caretaker of the lumas. She appears a lot now in the spinoff games with Princess Daisy, whom was already the Peach equivalent for Luigi.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Oh man, I'm so excited for this LP. I haven't played a Mario game since Sunshine, and I don't have a Wii to try Galaxy or Galaxy 2. Loving your commentary, Diabetus.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I never played this because while I loved SMG1, I didn't want to pay full price for just the same kinda thing. Mario games are always consistently quite pricey.

I did play it for a bit at my girlfriend's though. It was okay, I guess. I didn't really get the hang of Yoshi.

Looking forward to actually seeing the game in full, though. Maybe you'll convince me to get it after all, Diabetus.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This is great. I played through SMG1, but could never be bothered to try out 2. Gonna stay posted on this LP.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pretty psyched for this one, lotta content to cover. I never came close to beating it, I should see if I still own the game.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

QuarkJets posted:

Tsk, everyone knows Princess Daisy is Luigi's girl. Rosalina is the Princess Peach equivalent for Waluigi.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.
So who else will be joining us on this adventure? Obviously we're expecting master slowbeef to show up some time or another, but what other possible co-commentators will show up?

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I've never played any of the Mario games (my childhood was :pcgaming: themed instead), so I've never really got their appeal. This LP seems like as good a way as any other (that doesn't involve buying a Wii) to find out.

In fact the gravity mechanics already look pretty fun (reminds me of Psychonauts), and the commentary is entertaining so I'll be eager to see how it goes.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

For some odd reason I didn't really play much SMG1, possibly because I was still addicted to DotA. Still very interested in it, mind you. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I can already tell it's going to be great.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Galaxy 1 was one of the reasons I picked up a Wii. The sequel didn't really hype me that much but in the end I've played it a lot more than 1. The game looks and sounds amazing and I really wonder if we'll see a Galaxy 3 on the Wii U. This style in HD should be amazing.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

ScurvyKip posted:

I have diabetes, is there anything I should know before I make an intergalactic journey?

Well, first of all, you need to check you feet, and always watch out for those beamos'.

Loving the content so far Diabetus, can't wait for more.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I beat Galaxy 1 mostly because it came with my Wii and never got around to getting this one glad to see the LP so i can see what i missed. I do agree with everyone that the Observatory in Galaxy 1 was mostly just a pain to navigate and oddly enough felt more like a Spyro the Dragon hubworld than Peach's Castle from Mario 64.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Chunky12345 posted:

I've never fully beaten this game despite being one star away from finishing it. drat that star. :argh:

welcome to the club

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
This run is already a failure because you didn't pick the Luigi head for your save file. Rookie mistake.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

horriblePencilist posted:

Tsk, everyone knows Princess Daisy is Luigi's girl. Rosalina is the Princess Peach equivalent for Waluigi.

Her special abilities are jumping a little lighter and getting very close to fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Never has such a deadpan retread of a previous game been executed so drat transparently and yet made so drat awesome. That's Nintendo for you, I suppose. Complain about formula all you like, but it's hard to keep it up when the result is such good fun.

• Locked thread