Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Aw man, I only borrowed the game and had to return it before I could finish it. I really have to buy it for good now; I want to finish it before the LP ends.

Now that I think about it, Mario being so close to not only one, but multiple black holes should have sped up time so excessively that Peach is long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Suspicious Dish posted:

I was more thinking of something like Delfino Plaza, which had things to do, secrets to get, and it evolved as you got farther through the game, giving a sense of progress. I felt like I was doing something in Sunshine, helping people out, changing the world, whereas this it was more "OK, done with this level, now I only need 5 more MacGuffins until I get to the boss"

I think Sunshine had generally more emphasis on the story around the game than any of the other main Mario games. SMG2 doesn't have a lot of interest in creating a story, it just cuts straight to the game, and that never bothered me.
One thing that Sunshine does differently is that everything is more connected. The game was set on a single island, every level has the overarching theme of "tropical island" and despite the fact that you traveled through portals, you can imagine Mario physically moving to the zone. Hell, you can even see other levels from some spots.
In Mario 64 and Galaxy 1+2, this connection is much less present. You just teleport from one place to another, and that new place has nothing to do with the hub or the previous level. I'm not saying that it's impossible to have vastly different sceneries and still establish a story, Kid Icarus: Uprising had some heavily varying scenes and still a pretty solid story around that. But I do think it just allows more variety for less explaining.
Instead of coming up with a story as to why they're going from a Ice-World to a Lava-World and then, after a Grass-World or two, back to another Ice-World, you can just string them together, and the player will just assume that's just how it's aligned.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Mario games since Mario 64; who is Rosalina? Some sort of Princess Peach equivalent for Luigi?

Tsk, everyone knows Princess Daisy is Luigi's girl. Rosalina is the Princess Peach equivalent for Waluigi.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I checked the lparchives and saw that no one has completed a Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2-LP so far. You'd think a main Mario game would attract more people, but then again, they're pretty big games, especially the second one. Go boldly where no man has gone before, Diabetus!

Also, will you do certain stars that can be gained differently or become harder to get with Luigi? The best example I can come up now would be the Purple Coin Challenge on Luigi (you know the one, in Toy Time Galaxy), but there's a couple of stars where Luigi's superior jumping abilities open alternate routes

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Never played SMG2 but enjoyed the heck out of SMG1 so will be following this to see what I missed.

As for the broken legs, Mario had to get certified as a skydiver to use the cape in Super Mario World so he knows proper landing techniques :smuggo:

But there's no atmosphere in space!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Seshoho Cian posted:

Is there any difference between the shorter greener goombas and the more traditional/on model brown goombas? The two didn't have any gameplay difference that I could notice, so I question the weird looking ones existence.

Also, sort of amusing was right at the end of the video, where Dave_O mentions a sync error, the video playback stops and the audio alone continues. Considering that the video ended there anyway, it doesn't really matter though.

The smaller Goombas die with a single Spin-Attack, you have to follow up with a kick on the normal Goombas. Also, I believe the big ones run faster. Other than that, no difference.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
All this talk of this seemingly infamous last star has me worried. Is collecting all the stars even worth the anguish, and €40? I suppose I have someone getting them for me right here, but it'd be a shame if I left my game unfinished.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh, so it's like the final level of Super Mario 3D Land (which I have yet to finish). I'm worried I don't possess that kind of tenacity, but who am I kidding; I'm gonna buy the game anyway.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 28, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Every video is underlined with my uncertainty of whether you forgot to show off the homing stomp or you're just saving it for later.

Messing around in Flip Swap Galaxies is one of the most fun things to do in the game, by the way.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I think Super Mario 3D Land handled lives well. The game saves your lives, and at the end, you have around 200 of them to spare, and you just keep racking them up. There's an element of charm to seeing your life count so high to the point where it doesn't even matter, and the small easter egg gives you a sense of accomplishment.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Jewel posted:

I really liked Yoshi's Island's gambling minigame. The one where you can get a number from 0-3, and then a sign that's either -, +, or *.

Betting 99 of your lives is great fun when you get *0, and it's not even that much of a loss.

That minigame skyrockets your lifecount. I think my GBA-savefile has ~260. And people complain about modern games giving you too many lives.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neruz posted:

Good Sir have you dared to inquire as to the nature of Super Paper Mario?

Or the Mario & Luigi games (SSS definitely, BIS indirectly I don't know about PIT though, never played it), or Super Mario RPG?
Also, let's throw in the Mario Sport games for good measure.

Come to think of it, most of the Mario-RPGs have Bowser teaming up with Mario. I guess he seems like an obvious choice as a party member. Definitely better than Yellow Toad and Blue Toad, though.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ Reminds me of the voices in Superstar Saga.

Neruz posted:

New Super Mario Brothers Wii would be hilarious if one of the players was a big fat slow bowser that can't jump for poo poo but damages enemies by running into them and breathes fire.

Every time there's a jump impossible for Bowser to cross you try to go into a bubble to skip it, but the spikes keep popping it. The true Kaizo challenge begins here.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Just out of curiosity, why do you want more story out of Mario's main games specifically?
Series like Mario Kart are almost just as established, with several entries over multiple consoles, and they don't even have a hint of a story, and no one's asking for any. They're just as "realistic", so what's about the main games that makes everyone interested in a richer story?
My best guess is that it's either because the main games give you a clear objective you pursue over the whole game while the action in the Kart games is non-sequitur, or because the presence of an arching story makes us want more.
Personally, I don't mind the bland and repeating plot of the main games. Mario saving the princess is an integral part to the Mario games, even if some games like Super Mario Land 2 stray off that objective. One thing that would be cool though is if you start out in the Mushroom Kingdom chasing Bowser, but then Tatanga steals Bowser's castle (including the levels in it and Peach), and you have to travel to Sarasaland to pursue Tatanga. It'd be an interesting curveball that allows the return of Super Mario Land and sticks to the kidnapping and saving-theme.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neruz posted:

The Kart games are racing games which by their very nature have no need for story; you don't need to give the racers a reason to want to finish the race first; they're racing; first is better than second! Everyone knows how a race works and why people race so there's no real reason to explain anything beyond "This is a race, GO!"

Well, the same could be said about the main games. Monster shows up and kidnaps girl, guy runs after them. Unless this is Braid, you know what's happening and what you have to do.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ That makes too much sense. Explains the vast Fauna of the Mushroom Kingdom, at the very least.

Garbonix posted:

I think the real question is; why are they sending a plumber to do the job of a hero?

To be fair, who else to jump in to save the Princess? Blue Toad? I think not.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Drakli posted:

That said... when you get right down to it, I think "I think too deeply about things," is probably as much answer as you need.

It's actually really plausible that they don't add too much story to mantain the status of sillyness in the Mario games. You know how the cartoony visuals help you accepting the setting, technical hiccups and theoretical violence of Mario crushing his enemies? It never occured to me, but the same thing probably applies to the story. The story, or lack thereof, ensures us that there isn't really anything to worry about in terms of story, and that there's little point in trying to go too much into it. Now, if we had this epic backstory of the Mushroom Kingdom raging a fierce war with Bowser and his forces, fueled with rage from the loss of his children's wife, and then we have a fat plumber jumping from grassy plains to snowy mountains to a fiery volcano, that'd leave people confused.

The Mario RPGs may tie the Mushroom Kingdom to a coherent story, but they're not as goofy and nonsensical as the main games though: Bosses don't stand on fragile bridges with axes next to them, sliding down poles does not promise victory and hell, even Goombas actually attack Mario.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neruz posted:

Well I don't know; I'd be fine with the villain's driving motivation being "I WANT ALL THAT STAR POWER" because Stars have been established to be powerful and capable of doing all kinds of bullshit in the wrong hands. I'm not asking for Shakespeare here, just maybe a little more experimentation.

Which reminds me, Peach's Castle has as much power as a goddamn self-sustaining space station.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

ArgonMatrix posted:

:siren: CHALLENGE! :siren:

This might just be a one time thing, but seeing as Diabetus just got through Fluffy Bluff Galaxy I figured now would be the best time to show this off. I have a few challenges for other galaxies in mind, but that's neither here nor there.

Point is, I've made a video of myself getting through the first mission of Fluffy Bluff without using the Cloud Suit. You can check out that video by clicking the flower.

Also, I'm not too apt at recording modern games. I did the best I could with the knowledge I have, but the quality's still pretty sub-par. I hope you can forgive me for that.

That was pretty fantastic.
I'd love to come up with challenges myself, but I lack the creativity and a copy to do so. Guess it's just fanart for me.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I don't remember anything like that. In Sunshine Bowser Jr. claims Peach is his mother, but at the end Bowser says outright that he made that up.

There was actually an interview with Miyamoto where he said the Koopa Kids aren't related to Bowser at all, though Bowser Jr. is.

IIRC the reason why Bowser Jr is Bowser's only child is because Miyamoto didn't want Ludwig to be his oldest son.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Why is everyone questioning the origins of the Koopalings? The better question is: Who are Baby Bowser's (from Yoshi's Island) parents? Or did Magikoopa just find him in the woods?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm surprised we still haven't seen an orbital long jump so far, the game's biggest contributor to its replayability.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Has science gone too far? You decide!

On the topic of Gobblegut's problem, the red growths seemed to not only cover his scales, but also remove them. My best guess is that it is, in fact, an infection of some kind located on the skin. He should get a dermatologist.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
As much as I love Puzzle Plank, I like the level in Super Mario 3D Land in which they reuse the buzzsaws even more. It's later in the game, so it's harder and they do much more variations of it.

The music in Puzzle Plank is much better, though.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

gently caress, I should have written "Mehrio".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I don't care if it's a great galaxy, you should never name anything "Squizzard's Sandy Sinkhole".

• Locked thread